JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Leadership Styles

Q2. (2 Corinthians 1:24) What does it mean to “lord it over” someone? What is the balance between (1) good, strong leadership, (2) micromanaging, and (3) a complete laissez-faire approach to leadership? What are the dangers of an authoritative leadership style? What are the dangers of a weak leadership style?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (2 Corinthians 1:24) What does it mean to “lord it over” someone? What is the balance between (1) good, strong leadership, (2) micromanaging, and (3) a complete laissez-faire approach to leadership? What are the dangers of an authoritative leadership style? What are the dangers of a weak leadership style?

To “lord it over” someone means to put yourself or give the appearance that you are their superior and they are subject to you as a slave to its master. rather than working together.

The balance between (1) good, strong leadership, (2) micromanaging, and (3) a complete laissez-faire approach to leadership? is using the power that comes with a position to enhance the people under you to acheive their greatest potential.

The dangers of an authoritative leadership style is having people work for you as oppose to working with you.

The dangers of a weak leadership style is seen in mismanagement, the organization suffers from strong leadership qualities and growth is stunted.

To lord it over someone is to have dominion over a person, telling that person what to do without any input from him. Good strong leadership is learning and knowing what is needed and using wisdom in your positon of authority; you do need a degree of micromanaging but not excessive control to the point where you are a dictatorship except in situations where you have to make a judgment and have that judgment carried out as the final decision rests with you. The meaning of laissez-faire is i think in this instance is to interfere as little as possible in the affairs of another which I could go along with as long as no direction is needed. If direction is needed there may be an instance when interference may have to happen. I will say this is a tough question for me and I am not sure if I am answering what is being asked. The dangers of an authoritative leadership style is that it is your way or the highway. You are not seeking advice from others and without a multitude of counselors people fall.Those under you will hesitate to approach you about matters concerning them. Prov. 11:14 Weak leadership is that those under you could pretty much do anything they want to. It could be like in the days when Israel was without a king and the people did what was right in their own eyes. You would not have the power that you do need to run things.

To "lord it over" is to assume no one else has the intelligence or the right to make decisions. The balance between(1) good, strong leadership, (2) micromanaging, and (3) a complete laissez-faire approach to leadership, is RESPECT & SENSITIVITY to the needs of the group. Recognizing that individually anyone person can lead; however, when everyone is in charge, no one is in charge. The dangers of an authoritative leadership style is that it implies the group is incapable of knowing what they need and one person acts for the good of all through his/her personal perception? The dangers of a weak leadership style? It is no leadership at all. It creates fragmentation, clandestine activity and eventually destroys the order. It leaves a dangerous opening as devious peopld are always alert and poised to take over in the absence of leadership. Leadership and the choice to be led is just that, a choice. is is The dangeers of a week The The

Paul didn’t want the Corinthians to feel that he was trying to rule over them or make them accountable to him as if he was their lord or sovereign and they were his inferiors. Good strong leadership grows/develops people as they work together to move toward a common goal under the oversight of the leader. An authoritative style must always work to treat people with respect and not become a dictator, valuing them as co-laborers and not slaves. A micromanager feels the need to personally oversee and approve every detail, while the laissez-faire approach offers no guidance or vision. These are both weak styles of leadership that fracture the unity, focus, and effectiveness of the entire group. Paul cared about the people as much as the goal.

To lord it over another would be to feel and project yourself as better than the other person. Making them feel inferior. As to a balance it would be good to remind ourselves as to what it is like to walk in the other person's shoes, to remember from whence we came, and to work at keeping the best for all involved in mind.

To "lord it over someone" is to make it clear to them that you hold absolute power over them and they have no say whatsoever in anything that affects them. Only you do. The best leadership style doesn't micromanage and doesn't allow a laissez-faire atmosphere to happen. Leadership is a combination of respect and the allowance for the human aspect of different styles of working. The best leaders have a servant attitude and heart. The dangers of a weak leadership style is the inability to be able to keep people working within the rules and guidelines. Rules are in place for safety and efficiency and fairness to all. Chaos can happen without fairness to all.

Lording it over someone is to treat that person as inferior. A good leader will know the people under him and their talents. He will treat them with respect and dignity and will expect to be treated the same. He will expect good work but not more than can be reasonably and fairly delivered.

An authoritative leadership style promotes fear, rebellion, a give up attitude.

A weak leadership syle leaves one wondering what is expected and an uncertainty as to boundaries.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

To “lord it over” someone is to misuse a position of power or authority. Either extreme in leadership style can lead to a loss of followers. Servant leadership (shepherding) is a strong, compassionate style that is a balance of the extremes.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 1:24) What does it mean to “lord it over” someone? What is the balance between

(1) good, strong leadership, I always apply good, strong leadership, as being an example for others to follow, never ask someone to do something that you would not do. The leading by example according to the Word of God will never fail. (2) micromanaging, and (3) a complete laissez-faire approach to leadership? You never can achieve anything by trying to be a lord over someone and demand them to do it your way or else. No their is always a Biblical approach to everything and if you use it as a guideline you will never fail, it is with a humbleness, and a servants heart that people cannot resist.

What are the dangers of an authoritative leadership style? It makes you a person people will avoid and the people that work for them are never happy and nothing really gets accomplished.

What are the dangers of a weak leadership style? This can lead to a situation just as bad or worst than a demanding leadership, nobody will respect you and you will be run over. You have to earn respect and I always lead by example and talk and communicate with all participates, I want to know what they think and that I care. The best is using a Christian work ethic and have a caring heart,

Maranatha;

Mike

I think to "lord it over" someone is to believe you have personal power over them and that you are in charge of them, and not the Lord.Good, strong leaders have balance in their lives and allow people to make their own choices without constantly manipulating them to do what they want.On the other hand, there are leaders who have no idea how to lead God's people and it can be dangerous to have leaders like this in the pulpit because God hasn't anointed them for this position.Nowadays, as soon as someone can preach, people try to make leaders out of them even though they have not developed character and are not very spiritually mature.Weak leaders can be manipulated very easily while authoritative leaders manipulate to get people to do what they want.

To Lord something over someone is to put them down--making ourselves in our eyes better than they. When leading is too strong--it causes oppression and is really controlling. Opposite that would not be taking responsibility for our position and the decisions that must be made. That puts too much pressure on those they're leading and disappointing the ones over them. We must pray for wisdom & guide in a loving, firm way.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 1:24) What does it mean to “lord it over” someone? What is the balance between (1) good, strong leadership, (2) micromanaging, and (3) a completelaissez-faire approach to leadership? What are the dangers of an authoritative leadership style? What are the dangers of a weak leadership style?

Answer;

1. What does it mean to “lord it over”

To be authoritative.There is only one way and that is my Way.

2. What is the balance between (1) good, strong leadership, (2) micromanaging, and (3) a completelaissez-faire approach to leadership? What are the dangers of an authoritative leadership style? What are the dangers of a weak leadership style?

There are pros and cons…I think it is really dependent on the people that you are leading…you don’t need to be authoritative to those who already recognize your leadership..and might use iron hand for those that neglect,and don’t respect your leadership.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 1:24) What does it mean to “lord it over” someone?

This is to throw your weight around just because you can.

What is the balance between (1) good, strong leadership, (2) micromanaging, and (3) a complete laissez-faire approach to leadership? What are the dangers of an authoritative leadership style? What are the dangers of a weak leadership style?

Most

Strong leadership oversees, delegates where appropriate, encourages and disciplines as necessary.

Micromanaging prevents others from learning and results in burnout.

Laizzes-faire leads to chaos.

An over authoritative style can lead to the leader's errors going unchallenged and when that leader eventually goes, to a lack of direction and civil war.

Weak leadership leads to everyone doing their own thing and a lack of unity.

To "Lord it over someone." is to make yourself supreme over everyone. There is no respect for others and an actual squashing of their spirit occurs. It's an "I'm right, you are wrong attitude" or a "I will because I can." It comes from extreme pride in self or position. It's a misuse and abuse of authority.

Good strong leadership can lead with vision, allowing others to do their parts. They can be a servant to others, not dwelling on what others are doing for "them." Good leadership can encourage others in their gifts, yet step in when questions come up. They can lead and guide, but consider the thoughts and God given vision of others. A good leader knows truth and discerns when the truth in vision gets off course. They are comfortable with speaking truth with love.They are respected because they know truth and LIVE truth. They are responsible and humbly see the work through to the end, either by supporting others, or stepping in when others need help or even fail. They lend support and want to see another succeed. They don't work against another, but cooperate well with them. Good leaders are prayerful as to God's will in anything and encourage others to pray as well. They trust God through the process of ups and downs and for the end result.

Micromanagers can't let go of control. They delegate responsibility, but end up taking back control. They don't trust God or others. They don't respect others gifts or their ability to operate in them. I think pride is the driving practice because the end result is about how well anything is done, reflection on self in that, and they think only they will do it good enough to get that self gratification in the form of high praise. They usually end up procrastinating and failing because they have too much to do from either not delegating or from taking on other's responsibilities. People don't follow their lead because they know they ultimately won't be able to do their part anyway.

Laizze-faire is no leadership. It's having a form of authority on the outside, but no practice of it. It's chaos and confusion. It's lack of direction and vision. No one follows because there is no one leading. Everyone just does what they want and and there is never any order or strength. Certain death of any ministry.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 1:24) What does it mean to “lord it over” someone? To "lord it over" it have arrogance in knowledge over someone who may or may not have a complete understanding of somehthing.

What is the balance between (1) good, strong leadership, (2) micromanaging, and (3) a complete laissez-faire approach to leadership? The balance would be to lead enough to teach without Micromanaging which would smother any inititive for leadership and with a little laissez-faire approach it would let the individual conduct or give freedom to act appropreately.

What are the dangers of an authoritative leadership style? What are the dangers of a weak leadership style? The dangers of an authoritative leadership could lead to anger and an acting out of others as with a weak leadership it would lead to a falling away.

24 Not that we lord it over your faith, but we work with you for your joy, because it is by faith you stand firm.

I have called upon God to break me and destroy my ego, so many times. now it seems HE has decided to take me to a higher place, and let me fearfully feel and see how miraculous HE is for hwat he is doing in my life. It is increasing my faith and I await the missions HE give me and seek to do as HE wants me to do. His leadership style is so loving and wise, and a little scarey, but still wonderful. Praise GOD for seeking to Glorify Himself through me. Let His will be done in me and in all the saints!

To lord it over someone means imposing my will, and not allowing someone else to offer info, or whatever. Treating others like dummies.

Someone who has a good balance of leadership qualities is someone who has gathered info and shares it with others, and at the same time, allows others to give opinions and share info.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 1:24) What does it mean to “lord it over” someone?

It means one who has power and authority, a master, a ruler. (Putting one's self in a position of dominance and superiority over another)

What is the balance between (1) good, strong leadership, (2) micromanaging, and (3) a complete laissez-faire approach to leadership?

We are co-laborers, fellow laborers in the Lord's "Vineyard". A strong leader is one who is flowing in the God-given authority appointed to him/her, is able to listen to others and to compromise when that is the best solution to disagreement.

Micromanaging indicates insecurity and lack of trust in the Lord's ability to work through others. Self important...the belief that "I'm the only one who knows how to accomplish whatever task is being done. A knit picking, controlling, overly responsible personality.

Laissez-faire leadership is neglectful, possibly incompetence or laziness, and leads to power plays among those being "led"....it creates a vacuum which someone is bound to fill, whether appointed as leader or not, then anarchy. It's the "sheep without a shepherd" spoken of in Scripture, leaving them vulnerable to wolves.

What are the dangers of an authoritative leadership style?

The danger is a dictatorship mentality. This style creates an atmosphere of fear, and shuts down those under this "ruler". It also leads to rebelliousness and "mutiny" in an effort to bring balance to the group. These leaders tend to be harsh and unable to compromise, and do not reflect the Love of Jesus. "One man/woman bands" They are insecure, like the micromanager, but overpower like a tsunami, where the micromanager hovers like an annoying constant dripping of water!

What are the dangers of a weak leadership style?

Weak leaders do not understand the authority they are to exercise in their role as leader. It's God-given. A weak leader is timid and easily intimidated by those who want to usurp the leadership role due to ungodly character. There is a spirit of Intimidation which comes into groups to destroy harmony and unity in the Body of Christ...a weak leader will bow to this spirit (most likely ignorant of what is going on) and factions, schism's, and bickering take place, and eventually those looking for leadership will either leave or try to usurp leadership which is not theirs.

Lord it over means to rule or have dominion over someone.

Balance is the key word to all three, without the other two types of leadership each one will result in failure. With no one to hold you accountable, one person as a strong leader will soon turn to pride which leades to his fall. I worked for a company that micromanaged for larger corp, this is type is necessary for growth and control. A laissez-faire approach can create an enviroment for creativity as well as laziness. Each type of leadership in its proper proportion and right (Godly) motive will nurture the best part of each type grow and become successful. Each type blended as one will hold capture the weaker, more distructive side allowing the positive side to become the dominate characteristic of each leadership. I believe we call it in the US a check and balance.

Although all authority is under God and used by God for his will, we have been disceived by Satan since the

Garden of Eden to believe that authority is about the What instead of the Who? Let me explain, Satan deceived Eve into asking the What about the rule that said she should not eat from this one tree. What about the rule that said if I eat of this fruit I will die. After careful consideration Eve decided that the What was not correct or did not make sence so as we know she ate the fruit. Authority is still the same today, it's all about the What and not the Who. The more power you have the harder it is to follow the rules/authority. We tell ourselves these rules don't apply to me. For others if we agree with the what then we follow it, and then there are those who follow the what to stay out of trouble or avoid consequences. The sad part is that we have become so good at looking at the what and deciding it's not for me that we no longer have guilt. Authority is about being obedient to God. So the question should be what are the dangers of not submitting to a strong or weak leadership/authority....disobedience.

2 Corinthians 1:24 - What does it mean "to lord it over" someone? What is the balance between (1) good, strong leadership (2) micromanaging, and (3) a complete laissez-faire approach to leadership? What are the dangers of an authoritative leadership style? What are the dangers of a weak leadership style?

One person is in charge and what that person says is law. They will have all authority to do what they want to do. Many churches today are run this way. The "Pastor" has all the power to make decision and eveyone else has to follow. That is opposite of what Jesus said - "the first shall be last and the last shall be first.

We need good, strong leadership today with spiritual men who are elders that will work with peope to accomplish the work that God has for them. When we start to micromanage, we take the work of Holy Spirit out of goal we are working on. The laissez-faire approach to leadership does not work at any time, as you do as you want with no working together. Authoritative leadership does not work because not one person has the full sense of the direction that God wants the congregation to go. In weak leadership, we get nowhere and end up doing nothing good. :P

:D

Q2. (2 Corinthians 1:24) What does it mean to “lord it over” someone? What is the balance between (1) good, strong leadership, (2) micromanaging, and (3) a complete laissez-faire approach to leadership? What are the dangers of an authoritative leadership style? What are the dangers of a weak leadership style? To "lord it over" means to means to have authority, control and power over others and to me it means to abuse this power. The balance to good strong leadership, is to define the qualities of those you lead, develop a trust and good communication so that you be entrust to them the goals you have set for them, micromanaging is the above without trust for those you lead and to feel you have to oversee everything. The laissez-faire approach has no accountability, and without accountability there is usually little success. The Dangers of authoritative leadership style, is there is no creative expression, no trust and usually little communication, just commands and orders. This can be very stressful to those you lead, and can cause burn-out or rebellion. Weak Leadership Style has no balance, and it is usually left up to individuals with no common goal. That is what I love about God, he gives directions with accountability and communicates through the Holy Spirit. God is an awesome example of good strong leadership.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 1:24) What does it mean to �lord it over� someone? What is the balance between (1) good, strong leadership, (2) micromanaging, and (3) a complete laissez-faire approach to leadership? What are the dangers of an authoritative leadership style? What are the dangers of a weak leadership style?That you are a person that other people must answer to,The Roman officer told Jesus that he gave soldiers commands & they must follow his orders,if He spoke His Word that the officers daughter would be healed...Good strong leadership brings to mind how Moses led the Hebrews to the promise land,at times he had to be firm/punish the people such as when he ground up the golden calf and made them drink it.When GOD said He was going to destroy them Moses had to offer himself for destruction to abate GODS anger...When the Elders of Israel came to King Solomons son and ask that he not be as stern as his father,he didnt listen to their wisdom he consulted his peers...That caused the split in the kingdom 10 tribes of the north 2 tribes of the south

q.2 . (2 Corinthians 1:24) What does it mean to “lord it over” someone? What is the balance between (1) good, strong leadership, (2) micromanaging, and (3) a complete laissez-faire approach to leadership? What are the dangers of an authoritative leadership style? What are the dangers of a weak leadership style?

a.To make them subservient to you. To think of yourself as much better than someone else and to let them know it.

b.1. A good leader must be strong, knowing his people and their stgrengths and weaknesses.

2. He must teach them well so they can manage without him, then he needs to let them manage their church activity on their own but knowing he will be available for prayer, advice, love, and a sholder to lean on. Also knowing the leader will be watching over them to help correct their mistakes before they undo all their good works.

3, Leadership is never casual, never to be undertaken lightly. We must always remember that we need God to be the leader of all leaders, the leader we are all answerable to, the only one who can Lord it over us as HE IS LORD.

c. Resentment, pulling away from each other, anger, jealousy and the danger of forgetting that God is using us all, equal in His love, for His purpose.

d. Confusion, drifting away, outside influences coming in, losing sight of God, not completing Gods plan for His church

1. TO LORD OVER MEANS TO HAVE IT ALL THE WAY THE LEADERS WANT. THEY WANT NO INPUT FROM ANYONE.

WORK AS A GROUP INPUT FROM ALL. DISCUSSION AMONG ALL. LISTEN TO SUGGESTION FROM OTHERS AND TRY TO INSTILL THEM IN THE PROGRAM. STRONG LEADERSHIP IS LISTEN AND TRYING

TO WORK WITH EVERYONE

3.YOU LOSE ALL THE PEOPLE. TO STAND AND TELL THIS IS THE WAY OR NO WAY IS NOT THE RIGHT

WAY. TO BE A LEADER DOES NOT MEAN YOU KNOW ALL. YOU HAVE PEOPLE UNDER YOU THAT

KNOWS THE WORD AND BE OF HELP OF THE LEADER

SIN CREEPS IN YOU HAVE TO BE STRONG AND RECONIZIE STRIFE AND GOINGS ON THAT IS IN APPORIATE. MOST WEAK LEADER IGNORE BECAUSE OF LOSING NUMBERS.