JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Stress, Pressure, and Growth

Q4. (2 Corinthians 4:8-12) How does it encourage you to know that Paul went through tremendous stress and pressure? What effect did these sufferings have on the way people could see Christ in Paul? Why is pain necessary to spiritual growth? How does our pain allow others to assess our authenticity as Christians?

• 2 months later...

How does it encourage you to know that Paul went through tremendous stress and pressure? It lets me know that people have always been corodded. It also lets me know I am in good company. If it werent' so disgusting, I would be flattered that I am worh ambushing.

What effect did these sufferings have on the way people could see Christ in Paul? It showed conviction and grace under pressure.

Why is pain necessary to spiritual growth? Like the gym; it takes a good work out. Unlike the gym, it is NOT by choice and equipment is our hearts, minds, and souls.

How does our pain allow others to assess our authenticity as Christians?

The same way the love of a parent is displayed. Strong love hides a multitude of pain.

I'm sure I will go through times of stress & pressure again and again, we know that suffering is part of our walk with God.

People can see God in us when we respond to our trials in a godly manner. Pain was a necessary ingredient in Jesus' life on earth; pain will be ours too. People will see Jesus in us when we welcome trials and respond the way Jesus did. We will be honored to suffer with Him. We may be really down, but not out--we are not hopeless!

Q4. (2 Corinthians 4:8-12)

How does it encourage you to know that Paul went through tremendous stress and pressure?

This encourages me to persevere; to know that, despite all problems, sufferings and difficulties, the Lord is there to make me through.

What effect did these sufferings have on the way people could see Christ in Paul?

The effect these sufferings have on the way people could see Christ in Paul is the ability to endure and succeed when one relies on the power of the Lord.

Why is pain necessary to spiritual growth?

It enables us to strethen our belief on God knowing that, despite the pain, He is there to uplift us.

Our pain allows others to assess our authenticity as Christians by the way we react to the pain: whether we become cowards or we exhibit God's Grace.

Q4. (2 Corinthians 4:8-12) How does it encourage you to know that Paul went through tremendous stress and pressure?

It's encouraging to know that stress and pressure are par for the course in the Christian life. It's not like I'm Robinson Crusoe.

What effect did these sufferings have on the way people could see Christ in Paul?

The way in which Paul handled the pressure in his life would have seen glory go to God. Paul was that good an ambassador for Christ.

Without any problems, physical mental or spiritual, we'd never experience the grace of God to handle them.

If we handle pain and pressure in the assurance that God is seeing us through whatever life brings, even if it results in seemingly devastating results, people will notice our faith in God. Paul Anderson, the strongest man who ever lived, had serious health issues for the last 15 or more years of his life. The man who squatted 1200 pounds was confined to a wheelchair in the latter part of his life. Yet through all that his faith was as strong as ever and he continued, until he went to be with the Lord, to minister to the young men in his care at the Paul Anderson Youth Home. Even non-Christians were amazed at Paul Anderson's total commitment to God and his ministry. What a powerful witness he was to the grace of God.

How does it encourage you to know that Paul went through tremendous stress and pressure?

We are encouraged to know that even the great apostle underwent tremendous stress and pressure. It is because of this that we learn never to be disheartened; knowing that the Lord never abandons His own. It is through Paul’s sufferings that the power of God, in human beings, is revealed. In Paul’s weakness the power of Christ is shown. As Paul is kept in a place of weakness we notice he preaches with much greater power and strength. Normally, we would be inclined to think that Paul could have served the Lord more efficiently given a trouble free opportunity. But the gospel teaches us differently. God, in His infinite wisdom, sees fit to allow His servants to be touched by sickness, sorrow, affliction, persecution, difficulties, and distresses. All are designed to break the clay pots so that the light of our Lord Jesus Christ might shine out more clearly. I know from personal experience that when I’m going through painful or stressful situations I grow spiritually; it is then when I get on my knees. I draw closer to my Heavenly Father and I experience His peace knowing that He will never forsake me. This is also the time when others can see if we are true Christians or just going through the motions of being a Christian. We thank the Lord for His grace and mercy!

1. To me, this is an important argument why the Bible is true.

People don't suffer for fun, only if they can't help it.

2. Persecuted christians can stop all pain by denying Christ.

But Paul was in Christ so much he couldn't do that.

3. In my darkest periods, I prayed more.

Pain helps to see "I am weak but though are strong", how dependent we are.

4. So nobody will say this:

Job 1:9-11

9 Then Satan answered Yahweh, and said, “Does Job fear God for nothing? 10 Haven’t you made a hedge around him, and around his house, and around all that he has, on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land. 11 But put forth your hand now, and touch all that he has, and he will renounce you to your face.”

Q4. (2 Corinthians 4:8-12) How does it encourage you to know that Paul went through tremendous stress and pressure?

After this 5 lessons i have learn that what happen to Paul is what God want us to be like, to live like is the life that God want from us as Christians we are to learn from Paul

People they were won to Christ.

Test our faith

Paul was tested and tried to the limit, yet stood firm in his trust and faith in the Lord. He was not a fair weather Christian who only talked the talk. He stood firm no matter what. His life encourages me that I too can stand the tests and stresses of life, when the devil whispers "this is too much for you...you'll never get through this!" The fact that Paul could "count it all joy" while imprisoned and in sewage up to his ankles, I know that in Christ, I too can withstand the trials and tests which are mine to walk through. The Lord promises that He won't give us more than we can bear....and Paul's life is a testimony to the watchful, loving eye of the Lord over, and His power in His children.

They were the proof that what Paul spoke and taught was not head knowledge, but the truth of the Gospel in action. Unbelievers were drawn to Jesus because they saw Him at work in and through Paul.....the fragrance of Christ. Believers who knew and saw Paul suffering were encouraged in the same way that I am from reading about his life. God is no respecter of persons...no favorites. So what He did for Paul He will do for you and me!

Pain and suffering are the places we grow...where our ego/will is crucified. It's where Jesus becomes our ALL, and we lose sight of the things of this earth that consume us in "good times". Pain is where we learn that we are not the captain of our "ship"...the Lord is Sovereign and in control. Pain, as C.S. Lewis so aptly said "Is God's megaphone." Suffering is where Jesus became and continues to be more precious to me than anything which can be named on earth! He has become my world and my life as a result of all that He's brought me through! Thank you for trials, Lord, or I wouldn't know that You are Who You say that You are and that You will do what you say you will do! How would we know Him as comforter if our hearts weren't broken, or as Healer if we were never sick, or as Sovereign, if we could solve our problems ourselves?

The early Christians were willing to die for their faith in Christ. Paul preferred to die than to live but stood firm till the end. That kind of faith, proves the reality of Christ in one's life. It demonstrates that Christianity is not a RELIGION, but a relationship with the living God. I've been told that very thing by others who've watched me walk where He's led me, without wavering or complaining. What joy that brings, that we are witnesses at times just by our actions when there are no words!

We must remember that Paul first appears in Acts as one involved in the stoning of Stephen, then in connection with the more wide-scale persecution against the first Christians that broke out in Jerusalem. As a devout Jew who was taught all his life about the importance of the law and about the soon coming political redemption of Israel, the idea of the long waited Messiah being executed like the worst of criminals was just too much for him to tolerate. Their claims that the crucified Jesus was the Messiah and that he had risen from the dead were, he believed, rank apostasy! With this in mind, Paul was determined to be God's agent to rid Israel of these believes. Hence, He first appears in the pages of scripture as a violent persecutor of his fellow Jews, those who believed that Jesus was the Messiah.

God, however, had different plans for Saul. Plans that he never could have anticipated for himself. Not only was this Jew going to preach Jesus as the Messiah, he was going to do it among the gentiles! God now placed Paul on the other side of the fence...Paul could have resisted God's call, but at that moment he was convicted of his error and convicted that Jesus was the Messiah and he accepted God's call to preach the gospel of Jesus at the cost of being persecuted. He became a disciple of Jesus at that moment.

Now, we as disciples of Jesus are called to preach the gospel to the unbelievers even if we know that we will experience persecution! How many of us are willing to experience the sufferings of Paul for His mane's sake! This are the kind of sufferings we are talking about here! Remember what Matthew 24:9 says; "Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake". Have we developed this kind of faith yet? Do we know and love Jesus enough to choose to endure this kind of persecution in the last days? which as far as I know, I can see the signs of the time being fulfilled before my own eyes!

It is true that we develop faith and patience in the mist of trials and afflictions, which we will need in the last days more than ever before. But in Paul's case, it was his zeal for God that took him both to persecute the Christians first when he was in error, and cause them to suffer; then to give himself in to being persecuted at the cost of severe trials and sufferings.

I am encouraged and inspired by Paul's example to develop that kind zeal and passion that he had for the gospel, for Jesus, and for souls for the kingdom!

Blessings to all.

Q4. (2 Corinthians 4:8-12) How does it encourage you to know that Paul went through tremendous stress and pressure? What effect did these sufferings have on the way people could see Christ in Paul? Why is pain necessary to spiritual growth? How does our pain allow others to assess our authenticity as Christians?

I was encouraged from day one of this study just reading 2 Corinthians 1:1-11! I was at a low spot and ready to give up and I just wept to hear those words. They were a comfort to me and I was reminded how living the Word is! After all those years....the message still encouraged. "He comforts us every time we have trouble, so when others have trouble, we can comfort them with the same comfort God gave us." That comfort Paul received and passed on to me has been passed on these last several weeks to even more and multiplied! It's good to know we are not alone in our suffering and that difficulties have always been and will be while we are on this Earth. We learn from God and those who went before us and are encouraged to stand in Faith. By the power of the Holy Spirit He will not leave us comfortless!

The effect on people seeing Christ through Paul was to be strengthened and to come to more maturity in Faith. He shared His circumstances and gave hope from His experiences, in His Faith and in the Word and in God. He let others know they were not alone, but sharing in suffering, and that there is a purpose to the suffering. He showed we would not be defeated and to depend on God and His power to see it through.

Pain is necessary for Spiritual growth because it causes us to focus on God. I think when things go well, our human nature tends to think we are self sufficient. We are not though and "we" don't accomplish anything of ourselves. Pain grows our faith and our dependence on Him, allowing Him to use us as HIS vessel more than all the "man made" accomplishments we tend to invent that really don't amount to much.

When we are tested by pain or submit to pain and remain faithful to depend on God and encourage others to do so too....we demonstrate our faith and show what we "say" we believe is really what we believe! We are not just talking a talk, but walking a walk! We show we absolutely 100% really do BELIEVE and that shows GOD is believable!

Q4. (2 Corinthians 4:8-12) How does it encourage you to know that Paul went through tremendous stress and pressure? It encourages me in that I wouldn't be alone if and when I step out and talk to others about Christ.

What effect did these sufferings have on the way people could see Christ in Paul? The people saw the Authenticy and truth of what Paul proclaimed.

Why is pain necessary to spiritual growth? It works out Christ's purposes but also teaches us.

How does our pain allow others to assess our authenticity as Christians? They will see Jesus in us in the way we react to our suffering or trail.

Q4. (2 Corinthians 4:8-12) How does it encourage you to know that Paul went through tremendous stress and pressure? What effect did these sufferings have on the way people could see Christ in Paul? Why is pain necessary to spiritual growth? How does our pain allow others to assess our authenticity as Christians?Going through Pastor James McDonaids Bible study series he says"Dont think that i am the 1 Christian to go through a season of suffering,the Bible list many examples"...When Saul was knocked down and blinded on the road to Demascus Jesus changed his name to Paul and told him how he would suffer to bring the Gospel,people saw him still as Saul the murderer until Christ shown through Paul...Because JESUS suffered/Died for our sins we must suffer to get rid of our sinful ways to become more like Him,our flesh is will be kicking and screaming until our deaths...When people who know your past see that you dont talk the way you use to talk,or do things like you use to do them it helps them to know that you are a NEW Creature...GOD BLESS

I believe that Paul was a short man (below 6 feet) and he faced many situations that made him take a lot of pressure from others. His reaction to these situations was to be admired. He was able to stand firm and speak in a positive way. I am sure that Paul spoke the truth in every situation and that has made me to look at his answers to find the right thing to do in my situations.

When a person does not swear or blame someone else for their problems, he is looked at in a positive way, "How can I respond in that way".

We do not like pain. But pain is necessary to reveal a problem in our body. Also pain is a measure of streaching to a point beyond normal. So, spiritulally, our faitn needs to be tested and streached to know if it is true. Also, as our faith is tested, we will gain new insights and knowledge of the Word of God as we serach for answers.

"We are known by our fruit." The reaction that comes as the result of a test, good or bad, will show others what kind of person we are. Especially a bad situation's responce will be noticed. If we want to follow Jesus and the teachings of the Bible and be a good example, we must teach our "heart" the right words to say if, "I hit my thumb with a hammer".

Q4. (2 Corinthians 4:8-12) How does it encourage you to know that Paul went through tremendous stress and pressure? We can look at Pauls life, his example for us, and how he let God direct him. Even though he was persecuted beyond our comprehension, God was with him, strengthening him, guiding him. He freed him from prison, lifted him up when he had been left for dead.

What effect did these sufferings have on the way people could see Christ in Paul? Paul was always centered on Christ, teaching about Christ, showing the path to salvation to anyone who would listen. He was able to ignore his physical pains in the glory of God and His salvation.

Why is pain necessary to spiritual growth? When you have pain, physically or mentally, you realize how weak and fragile you are. How much you need an inner strength only given by God to sustain you.

How does our pain allow others to assess our authenticity as Christians? Your actions and attitudes during these times make you an example of Gods grace in action.

I'm not sure how it encourages me but it does. We are an army for God (peaceful and armed with the truth, faith, and the gospel of our Lord). I guess it encourages me in that Paul didn't give up but kept on with forward vision and with a clear goal, our Lord's glory.

As Christ suffered we are expected to suffer to the death if called to that. We are an army.

It is through pain that we grow. It forms our character to the likeness of Christ.

Our pain shows that we have something worthwhile to suffer for. A great treasure that cannot be described in words but through our actions, sticktoitivness. Our God is worthy. We are an army.

God Bless!!

Jen

Romans 15:13

"Let the world despise and leave me,

They have left my Savior too,

Human hearts and looks deceive me,

Thou art not like them untrue."

It help me to know that Paul went through some of the trouble that

I will go through because he was one of jesus disciple and it let us know that

we will go through different thing but we can make it because God give us a

way out.Because Paul was the one that hate God people and then he

turn out be be one that was a powerful man of God.Pain is necessary because he

help when people see that we have pain but we are not overcome by them.Others are blessed by seeing

God grace in action in our lives.

Paul went through these trials, yet stayed faithful and grew more in the knowledge of Christ; If Paul could do it, then so can we.

Tremendous stress and pressure shows us our weakness and causes us to rely on God more, as Paul said in verse 11 "That the life of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh". Pain reveals what's really in us, if Jesus in manifested through us and not the carnal nature then that shows authenticity.

PAUL REMINDS US THAT WE MIGHT BE AT THE END OF OUR ROPE, BUT NEVER AT THE END OF HOPE.WE ARE SUBJECT TO SIN AND SUFFERING, BUT GOD NEVER EVER ABANDONS US. CHRIST WON VICTORY OVER DEATH AND WE HAVE ETERNAL LIFE.

THROUGH ALL OUR TRIALS AND SUFFERING AND TIME IN THE VALLEY IS OPPORTUNTIES FOR CHRIST TO PROVE HIS PRESENCES AND POWER THROUGH US. NEVER GIVE UP TURN TO CHRIST IN ALL THINGS AS DID PAUL.

It encourages me to know that Paul went through tremendous stress and pressure and he was able to lean on Christ and his faith to get him through the rough times. If he could do it, I can do it too. He is a role model for me. And he left writings of his tough times so that I can read about them and take his exhortations and teachings to heart when I have rough spots to go through.

The way we as Christians conduct ourselves through trials reflects Christ to the world. Do we act like the non Christians? Or do we act differently? Do non believers see a reason to want to become a Christian by the way we act through tough times?

Pain is necessary for spiritual growth because it helps us draw close to Christ and helps give us the skills to help others when they go through similar situations.

Paul endured more crisis and suffering for the cause of Christ than I could ever imagine. So it is encouraging that he knows what he’s talking about when he reminds us not to despair or lose hope, when he reminds us that in Christ we’re not going to be crushed, abandoned, or destroyed in our own times of suffering.

The Lord allows testing with this kind of pain in our lives with purpose. It strips away the façade to expose the true inner man. This might be for the believer’s own benefit, in coming face-to-face with something that needs to be put to death (like harboring anger or having a destructive attitude or living in spiritual hypocrisy). And/or it might be for the benefit of others as they see genuine Christianity lived out while under duress, as they see authentic Christ-like characteristics that hold up under fire.

I think pain is necessary to spiritual growth because it stimulates and motivates change like nothing else. It leads one to look beyond the temporal meaningless things of earthly life to seek things of enduring substance and significance. Every time a Christian yields to the pain of giving up self (which is death to the flesh), it cracks a little bit more of the earthen shell to allow the brilliance of Christ in us to shine outward. Also, pain is where God proves that He is everything to us He's said - Truth, Peace, Shepherd, Comforter, Healer, Provider, Rock, Fortress, Strong Tower, etc. Christ was our example of suffering; through it we die to the earthly and are made alive in the Spirit to live in righteousness. (2 Peter 2:21,24; 3:18) His life and sacrifice demonstrated that pain is the gateway and path that prepares us and leads us into the promised glory of our full spiritual inheritance.

I am encouraged not only by knowing that Paul went through pressure but seeing how he handled it. It reminds me of the sermon on the Mount when Jesus said "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you" (Matthew 5:11-12). Like Paul I will also endure stress and pressure as long as I seek to live for God and like him I have to assurance that Jesus predicted this but He also promised a great reward.

The way Paul handled these sufferings in humility was a portrait of Christ. Christ suffered willingly and was silent. Paul refused to exercise some of his rights and suffered silently. In addition Paul continued to minister even though he knew the risks involved. This was also a reflection of the persistence of Jesus as He continued to minister on earth even though He was fully aware of the ramifications of His actions.

I think our pain is a reminder of our frailty and humanity and of our dependency on God. Pain is a sure reminder that there is a God who promises to heal our pain and we are driven to seek Him. Just as we seek relief from physical pain we seek relief from emotional and Spiritual pain and we seek it in God and this helps us to grow.

I believes it helps people to see that we are not perfect people and that we are still afflicted yet because of who we serve we respond favourably to the pain. I think the authenticity is seen not so much in our pain but in our response to the pain we endure.

I am greatly encouraged as I see how Paul faced great pressure and stress, his actions revealed his words to be true, when great pressure came to Paul; his vessel remained unbroken, as his "faith" relied on the strength that filled his vessel making him strong.

That promise is for me too, for the same strength has filled my vessel, as I stay in "faith" as Paul did.

His faith is genuine.

Why is pain necessary to spiritual growth, and how does pain allow others to assess our authenticity as believers in the Messiah?

I don't believe it is necessary for all believers to experience "pain" in order for them to grow spiritually, however! When "pain" and "trials" do come our way, our "faith" is put to the test, will we be proven to be genuine before the God of Israel, in the face of Christ, as Paul was, or will our vessels become weakened, as it begins to crack under the pressures that come our way? :unsure:

Q4. (2 Corinthians 4:8-12) How does it encourage you to know that Paul went through tremendous stress and pressure? At least I know that I am not alone in this battle and someone has been there. Jesus Christ has been there before Paul and we can follow His examples.

What effect did these sufferings have on the way people could see Christ in Paul? Christ suffers so we know that our Christian lifes will be the same. We will suffer, but in the end we will reap what we sow.

Why is pain necessary to spiritual growth? Pain is part of maturity in the Christian life. We cannot know how or feel the effect if we don't go or suffer that particular pain. And we can learn about the pain from reading our Bibles daily so we know the experience that has happened to our brothers and sisters in the Bible and also that we would know that we are not alone.

How does our pain allow others to assess our authenticity as Christians? If we don't suffer, the authencity won't be there. We will not have the same experiences as those whom have gone before us. And our LORD JESUS CHRIST indicated that we learn by suffering.

Answer:

1. How does it encourage you to know that Paul went through tremendous stress and pressure?

It encourage me to know that Paul,is after all...human just like us,who is vulnerable to all kinds of pressures and stress, and maybe dissapointments..

2.What effect did these sufferings have on the way people could see Christ in Paul?

Paul persevere,of His calling despite all the odds stock against him,HE STILL CONTINUE TO SPREAD THE GOSPEL EVEN IN THE BRINK OF DEATH.

Acts 14:19-20-..they stoned Paul and dragged him out of the city,PRESUMING HIM TO BE DEAD.But after the disciples had surrounded him,he got up and went back into the city....

Those who witness the stoning of Paul,and that even though He is near death He still get up and continue His ministry,an attribute that somebody must be strengthening him..and in this case people will be thinking that what Paul is talking,preaching must be true...That Jesus is in Him.

3.Why is pain necessary to spiritual growth?

I really cannot agree with this statement,that if we don't have pain,just like Paul,we cannot attain spiritual growth...

It is the Holy Spirit who will teach us all things...JESUS SAID...

John 14;26-But the Advocate the Holy Spirit,whim the Father will send in my name,will teach you everything and will cause you to remember everything I said to you.

4. How does our pain allow others to assess our authenticity as Christians?

It is not our pain that will show how authentic Christian we are...HOW WE DEAL AND REACT WITH THE PAIN,IS THE ONE WHO WILL ***** US.