JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Walk by Faith, Not by Sight

• 2 months later...

What does it mean to walk by faith, not by sight? Trust God even when we can not trace Him.

Why can’t nonbelievers understand this kind of living? Unbelief and a lack of knowledge.

What aspects of your life are guided by your senses rather than by your faith? Intermittently, much of it. I must constantly remind myself that on my own, "I can do nothing."

How can you bring a faith perspective into these areas? Stay in the Word.

Years ago someone said to me that faith was "Forsaking All I Take Him" - absolute trust in him at all times in every circumstance. It's trusting in the Lord with all my heart, leaning not to my own understanding, but in all ways acknowledging Him and letting Him direct my paths. It's coming to the point where I know that apart from Him I can do nothing, but with Him I can do all things, because He is the source of my strength and life.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 5:7) What does it mean to walk by faith, not by sight? Why can’t nonbelievers understand this kind of living? What aspects of your life are guided by your senses rather than by your faith? How can you bring a faith perspective into these areas?

I really like 1 Peter 1:8 Even though I have never seen Him I love HIm. Amazing! There is a praise song maybe by Maranatha (don't remember) about this verse. I think it was in their scripture memory albums.

Nonbelievers have the "wool" pulled over their eyes by that dastardly adversary and we need to pray for them so they too can love Him whom they have not seen. What a privilege He has given us to love Him and believe in Him before we see Him. I guess we shall fall at His feet in total adoration and worship.

WE have our senses for a reason. We need our eyes to see where we are going, our ears to hear and our mouths to communicate. These are for our earthly living in these bodies. Faith guides us along paths which others cannot see and might contradict what senses tell them. We let our faith be our trail blazer to take us where God wants us for His glory, our good, and souls for Him.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q3. (2 Corinthians 5:7)

What does it mean to walk by faith, not by sight? We can't touch Jesus wounded side like Thomas, but we read the Bible, listen to ministers, and know the wounds were there, and why. We believe in His resurection as we are confident in our hearts that He died and rose on the 3rd day. We believe the Holy Spirit came to dwell in us as we can feel His presence, His encouragement.

Why can’t nonbelievers understand this kind of living? God hasn't touched their hearts yet. They haven't learned about Jesus, and Gods great love for us.

What aspects of your life are guided by your senses rather than by your faith? the 5 senses, sight, touch, hearing, taste and smell.

How can you bring a faith perspective into these areas? By prayer, we can learn to look thru the eyes of love, touch others with love, hear with the spirit of forgiveness, taste with love for the preparers of your food, smell with joy the wonders of Gods world, flowers, trees, etc.

We walk by faith because the things of God are spiritual. We have nothing more concrete than the Word and history. We live by faith, trusting what God has shared with us in His Word and making decisions in that light. Walking by sight involves our senses--wonderful creations of God--which helps us live on this earth and enjoy and be aware of His creation. Praise Him each day for the air you breathe, what you see, what you smell, what you taste and what you touch. Taste & see that the Lord is Good!!

Q3. (2 Corinthians 5:7) What does it mean to walk by faith, not by sight? Why can’t nonbelievers understand this kind of living? What aspects of your life are guided by your senses rather than by your faith? How can you bring a faith perspective into these areas?

Walking by faith, not by sight means we live by believing and not by seeing. Non believers cannot understand this type of living because they don't know what they believe in.......I go strictly on faith. One must have faith before they can totally believe, and then they believe what they see, so it is important that we live our lives in Christ, only.

What does it mean to walk by faith, not by sight?

Why can’t nonbelievers understand this kind of living?

What aspects of your life are guided by your senses rather than by your faith?

How can you bring a faith perspective into these areas?

To walk by faith is to live our lives by things which are unseen and at the same time having complete trust in Jesus Christ. In other words, we focus our attention not on visible things that are temporal but on those that are invisible and timeless. 2 Cor 4:18, “So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.” We also read in 1 Peter 1:8-9 “Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls.” To walk by faith, is to live in the confident expectation of things that are to come. Although unseen we have a personal relationship with our Heavenly Father, our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. This is in contrast to the unbelievers who are influenced by the things they see. They put their faith in wealth, power, fame, recognition, and all the material things of this world. It is because of this spiritual blindness that they cannot understand our kind of living. Being retired I sometimes am concerned about my financial position. Exorbitant medical costs and overall rising cost of living is a concern; but then I think back on how good the Lord has been and all my concerns are swept away, knowing that He can be trusted. Besides, it is not about me but about Him and how I will please and serve Him. I live for Christ. I live by faith!

Walking by faith and not by sight is believing in what you can't see. We can't see God with our physical eyes, but we know He is there. We can't see this friend in the flesh now, but He's before us, beside us and behind us all the way. We can't see beyond the bend in the road in our journey here, but we can know He takes our hand and no matter what we see when we get past it, He's in there in it. We can trust Him. It's allowing the Holy Spirit inside us to guide us, knowing He loves us, goes with us and He always knows best.

Unbelievers can't understand this because they have not accepted Jesus and are closed or have a veil over their faces because they haven't received the Holy Spirit who leads us into all truth of the Spirit. They only physically see what they see and act on that. They take care of themselves instead of allowing God to take care of them.

Some aspects in my life that are guided by my senses rather than my faith are still having some levels of anxiety and reactions to that. I'm not totally free of that yet, but I'm 80% healed! I learn daily, that if I trust God, I can take each mission, each trouble, each worry one by one to Him so they don't accumulate into a big problem in my mind. I am learning more and more to stop....reflect....ask Him for help....before reacting...or becoming over burdened in it, and that is what the Holy Spirit is leading me to do. I'm giving those things to Him more often and trying to follow His wisdom in it. So though it is a struggle, I still walk by faith in it. I'm abiding more, seeking help in those areas taking time to reflect before acting on them and asking the Holy Spirit to help me and remind me when emotions try to take control. I'm finding more security in Him and less in the desired "orderly" circumstances that "I'd like" to surround me!

1.WALKING BY FAITH MEANS WE HAVE TO BELIVE IN GODS WORD AND KNOW BY FAITH THAT IS TRUE. THE WRITER OF THE WORD WAS INSPIRED BY OUR LORD JESUS. I TRY TO EXPLAIN FAITH IN NOT EVER SEEING OUR SAVIOR FACE TO FACE LIKE THE WIND WE CAN FEEL IT BUT CANNOT SEE. THE SAME FOR THE WORD OF GOD WE CAN FEEL IT THROUGH THE HOLY SPIRIT.

2.NONBELIVERS DEPEND ON THEMSELVES THEY HAVE NEVER BEEN EXPOSED TO GODS WORD. THEY CANNOT UNDERSTAND THAT WITHOUT FAITH AND HEARING THE WORD THEIR IS NO OTHER WAY.

3.WHEN WE WORRY, TRY TO DO THINGS ON OUR OWN. WHEN WE DO THESE THINGS WITHOUT GOING TO THE LORD FOR GUIDAINCE. WE HAVE TO HAVE FAITH TO PRAY AND LISTEN FOR ANSWER FROM GOD

4.PRAY THAT GOD WILL INCREASE YOUR FAITH AND SIT BACK AND LET GOD WORK.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 5:7) What does it mean to walk by faith, not by sight?

To walk by faith is to live according to the Word of God and the leading of the Holy Spirit....rather than  by what my senses tell me, my flesh wants, nor by my surroundings or circumstances.

Nonbelievers are spiritually dead and have no understanding whereas faith is spiritually discerned....When we are born again, we receive the gift of faith, and they don't have this gift...yet!

Eating, sleeping, bathing,exercising, expressing emotions...the things our flesh requires for a healthy life. Taking care of maintaining the "tent"...but then if any of those are out of balance, I ask the Lord in faith to lead me to a healthy place.

I'm naturally a low energy person, so I pray and ask God to give me the strength and perseverance to get to the gym on a regular basis, which He does for me. I ask for wisdom about how to eat to maintain a healthy body....and He has given me wisdom which I follow (most of the time :).) On sleepless nights, I remember that His Word says "He grants His beloved sleep" and I'm His beloved child, so I remind Him of His promise. As I've gone through years of emotional healing for a lifetime of abuse, I believed in faith that the grieving and counseling and12 step Bible Study, would result in healing my damaged emotions and broken heart because He is the Great Physician....and that is what He has accomplished in me! I'm a new creature in Christ...the old has passed away. Thank you, Lord!!!

Q3. (2 Corinthians 5:7) What does it mean to walk by faith, not by sight? Why can’t nonbelievers understand this kind of living? What aspects of your life are guided by your senses rather than by your faith? How can you bring a faith perspective into these areas? Understand in total TRUTH that GOD is in control of every aspect in creation,which means the very next breath of air cant be taken for granted that it will be there...As WE all once were believing the universe revolved around us,things in life happen only because i made it happen...The simple fact that my senses taste,sight,smell,touch are taken for granted because i still expect that they will function when i need them...When i see someone that doesnt have or has lost senses that i take for granted it is a wake up call...GOD BLESS

To live (walk) with the belief that we are to live according to the Lords guidance. " We live out our lives here on earth tethered to heaven by the umbilical cord of the Holy Spirit, guided by the teachings of Jesus and his apostles, and expectant that God’s promises will surely come to pass."

Not by sight = Not to live by my or be lead by our emotions alone. When situations, circumstances or events try us we are not to react as the world would.

1st Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. They are well under a reprobate mind, they adhere to the influence facilitated by the prince of the air, that permeates the world.

I honestly earnestly strive not allow my life to be guided by my senses, however I am sure if a microscope were to be placed upon my life there would be many times when I am guided by my senses rather than adhering / living by faith, for we all fall short of His glory. To answering the question nonetheless the times as it comes to mind, perhaps sometimes when it comes to my Beloved. I love her deeply and dearly however sometime my feeling lead me in the relationship. However if / when I wrong her I apologize and ask of her for / of her forgiveness. I as well ask the Lord to forgive me.

Perhaps as well when I do things that I want to do, I'm positive I have allowed my flesh to influence my thinking. I can't think of a specific example at the moment that I could share.

Spending more time with Him, actually adhering to the leading of the Holy Spirit. Lean not to my own understanding, but trust in the Lord even when I can't trace His hand.

Q3.

(2 Corinthians 5:7) What does it mean to walk by faith, not by sight?What we see before us can cause us to make the wrong decisions, we don't see the big picture as our Father Jesus Christ of Nazareth does. I always tell people just look up and don't take your eyes off Christ, because He will never lead you astray. That is my Father and their is no doubt in my mind that he will take care of His children. You can take that to the bank, He paid my debt in full when He willing gave His Life For a wretched sinner as I was. I would not be posting this message in a forum today, if it had not been for Jesus Christ, the son of God, that shed His blood that I may live. Praise God

Why can’t nonbelievers understand this kind of living? This does not even to begin to sound to sinners that it is as simple as simple can be. I think it is so simple that sinners cannot register in their way of dog eat dog world, that a free and priceless life could be saved from such sin that is almost indescribable, could be forgiven. But it is so simple a child can understand it. Thank God for letting his son pay our debt, that we might be free.

What aspects of your life are guided by your senses rather than by your faith? I have very few areas of my life that, I don't have God's will in it, one way or the other, we are all prone to sin, their was only one perfect sacrifice, and that was Jesus Christ, no other. I have made a point now in my life to step back for just a second and ask myself, [Could I see Jesus Christ do what I am thinking about doing, if I can't see Him doing it, I leave it alone.] Jesus told us to be like him, and that is my hearts desire, you will sleep better than you ever have, when you know who is in charge, never sleeps and is always watching over me.

How can you bring a faith perspective into these areas? I have no problem with that, read above I know without a shadow of doubt who got everything under control. We are about to go home folks, make sure their is nothing that is going to keep you here after the rapture, you don't want to go through the tribulation, I beg you, don't miss the rapture.

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen (Hebrews 11:1). To walk by faith means to live your life in the place of hope and trust in God believing that He will come through even if the circumstances seem impossible. It means believing God's report when all other reports differ and even make more sense. It means trusting God when you do not get the result you were hoping for and knowing that His ways are not our ways nor His thoughts our thoughts but that He is a faithful God who always comes through for us.

Honestly, this kind of living makes little sense to most people. Unbelievers have not yet acknowledged the supremacy of God and His ability to work out difficult situations. They are still of the mindset that they must fix their own problems and that God helps those who help themselves so they 'help' themselves and then ask God to bless it.

I believe that I have surrended all aspects of my life to God and that I live my entire life in faith. However, there are times when I want to jump in and take matters into my own hands. That desire quickly passess as I realise how truly helpless I am most of the time.

What I do is pray for these areas especially the ones that challenge me the most. I tell God all about the situation, my desire and fear and ask Him to take control and work it out. When I see Him work it out my faith is strengthened so the next time I am tempted I recall the previous time and how God worked it out and it is easier to let God and let God.

To walk by faith, not by sight means conducting ourselves according to what the word of God tells us and not waiting to see what were are being promised.

Why can't nonbelievers understand this kind of living?

Nonbelievers can't understand this kind of living because their focus is on the temporary life on earth; they don't think of the eternal life after this earthly life.

The aspects of my life that are guided by my senses rather than my faith are anger, poor family communication.

I can bring a faith perspective into these areas by being in persistent prayers, asking for the Holy Spirit to be powered upon me.

To walk by faith mean that you are not going by what you see. But what you know in your heart that God

is going to do.

Because they want what they see, They ccan't go by faith because they are not children of God.

What we see with our eyes.

By remember your word and repeat it very time this tempation come up or you see thing with our eyes.

To walk by faith and not by sight means that we didn't personally see Jesus and make our decisions based on being there to listen to His teachings back when He was alive. We choose to trust God that His Word is true and faithful. And walking in faith is acting like it is so.

Nonbelievers have blinders on and can't understand this kind of thinking. They have to solve their own problems and reject God as a viable part of their life.

Faith perpectives can be brought into areas of my life by being sensitive to the Holy Spirit as much as possible. This can be done by staying close to God throughout the day through prayer and singing songs!

Answer:

1.What does it mean to walk by faith, not by sight?

To live according to what the Bible tells us who we are...As Jesus is so are we in this world(1 John 4:17..That we are the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus,(2 Cor 5:21)..We can't see this in the Physical,so we believe it by Faith..WHY?

because the Bible tell us so.

2.What aspects of your life are guided by your senses rather than by your faith? How can you bring a faith perspective into these areas?

Taste..I think my taste bud when it says Bitter,I cant close my eye and live by Faith that it is sweet...LOL..

Frankly we are all dominated by our Five senses...SEE,TOUCH,FEEL,TASTE,HEAR,SMELL....and as long as we live this five sensory attributes are there..for God created us this way,to sense and enjoy life..

The devil knows this so he perverted it,and tells us through our sense of feeling that we are not feeling well,pain here and there ,that we are sick..,instead of believing and living that by Jesus stripes we are healed..

And in fact this is our warfare,to bring into captivity captives all the devil is trying to deceive us into THE OBEDIENCE OF CHRIST JESUS(2 Cor 10:5)...and by renewing our mind(Romans 12:2) who we are in union with Christ Jesus.

To walk by faith means to trust God, to take him at his word, to obey the promptings of the Spirit and to keep our minds fixed on heaven and God. I'm guided by my senses in areas like daily routines, habits and any area not properly yielded to God, like some past hurts when I think about them too much. I keep applying scripture and asking God for help, it is a process.

It is because of my "faith" that I walk, I am fully persuaded, living proof, I am a child of God, even under diverse situations my vessel remains strong, as I look ahead to that day of being present with my Lord.

Why can't nonbelievers understand this kind of living?

It is because they did not chose to exercise the measure of "faith" that is given to all people to believe, they do not have the guarantee, God's pledge of the Holy Spirit living in them, they do not have the hope of what the future holds, for those who not just believe, but walk in that belief.

The aspects of the senses that guide my life are what my senses receive through God's Word, the Word feeds all of my senses with the glory of who God is and His promises for me, it is through God's Word that I am able to SEE the truth, and I am able to HEAR, to understand the call on my heart, that of obedience, a sweet aroma to God, and as I take of the Communion table, I partake of the sweet TASTE of salvation, and my senses are aroused in knowing right from wrong, leaving in me the senses of great happiness.

It is because of the drawing of the Holy Spirit that my "faith" has put my senses in the right perspective; my senses have been stimulated to that of walking in faith of obedience, as my senses now hunger and thirst after that of righteousness. :)

What does it mean to walk by faith, not by sight? Why can’t nonbelievers understand this kind of living? What aspects of your life are guided by your senses rather than by your faith? How can you bring a faith perspective into these areas?

1) To walk by faith, not by sight means that you do not have to see something to believe. It's your spiritual sight that causes you to believe.

2) Nonbelievers can't understand this kind of living because they are more focused on the things seen, which are just temporary.

3) The aspect of my life that is guided by my senses rather than my faith is the financial situation of my church. Everyone is struggling in this economy and monies come up short to meet our budget. I sometimes let my senses guide me rather than remembering there is a God greater than anything else and He has said he will supply our NEEDS.

4) To bring a faith perspective into this area I must constantly remind myself to not consentrate on the things seen (no finance) and look at the things unseen (faith).

To walk by faith and not by sight means that we can’t see the holy way to live through what is natural and earthly. What we see and think and feel in this physical realm is inadequate and flawed for life in the realm of the Spirit of God. Our natural tendencies are to make decisions and take action based on what our senses tell us. In the flesh we can’t see the reality of God’s spiritual kingdom at work on earth, as well as in heaven.

But as believers we must discipline ourselves to remember that our focus is not to be set on what we can see or understand in the natural. Faith is living life based on the confidence of assured promised things to come that can’t yet be manifested and realized in the earthy existence. That requires “vision” that extends beyond the temporal present moment of our existence.

Followers of Christ are now vessels of His Spirit and have been given the unseen reality of the heavenly. This reality can only be discerned by/through the Holy Spirit as our minds are transformed by spiritual renewal. Through that regeneration and our submitted commitment, He “takes our hand” and guides each step of our journey toward what we can only see by this renewed mind/heart. Without the enlightening, guiding, refocusing presence of the Spirit within, a nonbeliever is completely blind to this spiritual reality and has no grasp of this kind of living.

To walk by faith and not by sight in my own life, I rely on the Word - reminding myself of what I know about God, the truth of His Word, and His faithfulness to every promise He's made. I think this is where we also need "memorials" in our lives - remembering times and events where God has proved Himself with provision and protection in the past. It can sometimes be a real battle and takes determined discipline to keep that focus!

To walk by faith and not by sight is to believe in the Word and God's promises. We do not see God but through the beauty of His creation, yet we know that it belongs to Him. We never met Jesus face to face but believe unconditionally that He is our High Priest, our Savior. It is easy for a non believer to say they do not believe because they cannot see. They see through their eyes of flesh that can only see death.

I know that sometimes I can look at my circumstances and that horrible spirit of fear starts creeping in. I pray that my faith take over, that I know full well this spirit is not of God. I read of His promises that He is with me, He will never leave or forsake me. I pray for my faith to be so strong that the storms come and go, and I hardly knew they were even there.

The meaning to walk by faith, not by sight is to trust in something that you can’t see but know that it really and truly is there. The nonbelievers don’t understand this kind of living because they are afraid of the unseen things. They have to have physical proof that things are the way that they see them.

I can’t think of any aspects of my life that is guided by my senses rather than by my faith. I think that even some of my instincts are guided by faith.