JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Separation from Sin

Q3. (2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1) What kind of separation is Paul calling the Corinthians to? How can they strike a balance between separating themselves from sinful practices that mess up their spiritual lives while at the same time maintaining friendships with pagan neighbors and co-workers?

• 2 months later...

Q3. (2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1) What kind of separation is Paul calling the Corinthians to?

Holiness

Let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit: The let us infers that there is something the Corinthians (Believer) needs to do, and that is turn from sin, sinful practices and turn towards God. They were to turn from things that they could physically do and also to remove themselves from environments that could pollute influence of Christ.

Separation from the world and it's influences involves more than keeping our distance from sinful practices, we are in the world but not of the world as we are in Christ. Separating from the world means staying close to God, adhering to the Spirits voice, not ours alone nor that of the air. There is no way we can totally separate from sinful influences, every being is not in Christ, nonetheless are to resist the sin and sinful practices around us, without either giving in or giving us. We can do that by following the guidance of Christ and adherence to the Holy Spirit.

Perfecting holiness: The ing suggest to me that it is an ongoing process. As the Corinthians are in Christ they have received Him, at that point holiness began in the heart (mind). Paul is saying to them and to every Christian that they should make every effort that it might be complete in all its parts. Every Christian in purifying himself should strive for greater holiness and constantly seek to attain to the ideal of which Christ is the example. No one can do this on their own, God empowered us to make decisions, with that ability if this is going to happen we must crucify our flesh and follow Him.

In the fear of God: God is ALL Power, He is All Mighty, all-knowing, He is ever presence, all seeing, having seven eyes He can see in completeness, He sees us naked. In the fear of God, I see it as more than the fear of punishment, not disdaining it, however may foster compliance vise commitment, this compliance may stem from compulsion and if that be the case the root of it does not reflect the character of God. This fear for me aligns with reverence and respect for God, in knowing that God not only is Almighty, and ever present but He as well is all seeing. He sees and He will knows if I who having taking His name made efforts or a decision to refrain from indulgence in pollution of flesh and spirit, and also from committing. This fear as well may not be healthy however it is a viable fear as well.

The bottom line I believe that Paul was conveying whatever capacity one may receive in the fear of God that they may that the Corinthians (Christian) strive not to displease Him, hating whatever might enliven His displeasure.

How can they strike a balance between separating themselves from sinful practices that mess up their spiritual lives while at the same time maintaining friendships with pagan neighbors and co-workers?

Follow the example of Christ just as Paul did, if Paul had not do so they would not have the experience of the Gospel of Christ. Jesus associated with the sinners of his day: tax collectors, prostitutes, and others. Yet he did not do as they did, he did not follow their wills He followed the WIll of the Father. He followed His will as it aligned with the Father's. While among none believers He was light and salt, not too much light and salt, but light and salt. The Corinthians as can we still have friends that are not Christians, if they desire to be friends. We don't or shouldn't sever our relationships with family if they chose not the serve the Lord. However we must love the Lord FIRST, the Corinthians nor a Christian should be around or involved with them when they are sinning. The Christian Corinthians, all Christians we should separate themselves from activities and people engaged in those activities that would lead back into the sin and poverty of our former lives.

The Corinthians (Christian) must exercise godly wisdom, they as are we are in the world but not of the world because we are in Christ Jesus. Until God deem it so the tare and the wheat coexist, having said that as we live because we are in Christ we should reflect Him regardless of the setting. What we should not do, what the Corinthians should not do is tempt themselves nor tempt the Lord. Taking a passage of Scripture out of context and perhaps out of content, but I hope it is in line with the lesson and as well the Lord's Will. Haggai 2:12-13 The influence of holiness is not as far-reaching as the influence of unholiness. A rotten apple will corrupt a barrel of good apples; but a good apple will not transform a barrel of rotten apples." Sanctification, holiness, or cleanness cannot be transferred by us, but defilement can (just as health is not contagious, but disease can be).

How can the Corinthians strike a balance between separating themselves while maintaining friendship with nonbelievers, by love, by loving God first then their neighbor as themselves Matthew 22:37-40. Even though living in Rome they were not to do as the Romains did. By being in environments that the Lord appointed and would approve of.

In my growing I have witness some witnessing to people in bars, I've not done that but I would not be influenced to drink if I'd embarked in a like venture. Some in street ministry have been in places where prostitution and drug use was prevalent, I've not done that but I would not be influenced by either, I say this not being prideful, those things have not been a temptation for or to me. I have been in those environments before I was a Child of God and they did not influence me. There is yet another ministry that I read about in Charisma and Christianity Today years ago, which went into erotic, sensual clubs and **** like environments. I fully believe that if God told me to go there in His service that I could do it because He would empower me to do you. However this is not an environment that I could have a healthy balance, separating myself and maintaining profitable communications. Although I have not frequent these places prior to becoming a Christian this environment would have a strong influence on me, one strong enough that I would fall. Thereby I exercise godly wisdom not contaminating my body and spirit.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1)

What kind of separation is Paul calling the Corinthians to?

How can they strike a balance between separating themselves from sinful practices that mess up their spiritual lives while at the same time maintaining friendships with pagan neighbours and co-workers?

It is impossible for Christians to live a life totally without contact with unbelievers. So Paul is not calling for withdrawal from the secular world, rather he is warning them not to get themselves involved in any relationship that would undermine Christian values. The call to holy living is to be taken seriously; remembering that we were bought at a price and belong to God, made holy, and separated from defilement. We are therefore, to obey Jesus, and He issued the Great Commission containing orders for us to win souls for Him. To do this we have to go out into the world, maintaining friendships with unbelieving neighbours and co-workers; trying to win them over for our Lord.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1) What kind of separation is Paul calling the Corinthians to? A separation that clearly is incongruent with holliness. This is particularly true for "confirmed" believers, who are practicing unholiness.

How can they strike a balance between separating themselves from sinful practices that mess up their spiritual lives while at the same time maintaining friendships with pagan neighbors and co-workers?

Jesus said the hospital is not for the well but for the sick. As believers, we must make every attempt to win souls for Christ, however, we must recognize when our past weaknesses are at risk of being reactivated during the process. I call it "feeding them with a long spoon."

Paul is calling the Corinthians to a separation from people who can lead them into sin. They can remain friends with them but not associate with them. Paul’s concern was that the Corinthian Christians still participated in the pagan feasts and their attendant sexual immorality. Thus, in order to ensure that, they do not participate, he called for them not to associate with the pagans.

They can strike a balance between separating themselves from sinful practices that mess up their spiritual lives while at the same time maintaining friendahips with pagan neighbours and co-workers by not being around them when they are engaged in their sinful practices. The idea was to separate themselves from sin and the people who would tempt them to fall back into sin.

What kind of separation is Paul calling the Corinthians to? Seperation from sin, idolatry. Stay away from Christians who are practicing immoral acts.

How can they strike a balance between separating themselves from sinful practices that mess up their spiritual lives while at the same time maintaining friendships with pagan neighbors and co-workers? Seperate yourself from them physically during their acts of immorality. Excuse yourself and leave. Don't listen, and don't encourage them to talk about these things. The devil is waiting to tempt you.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1) What kind of separation is Paul calling the Corinthians to?

Paul is calling the Corinthians and all believers to not participate in the sinful activities of the world, and to not enter into covenant agreements with unbelievers...being unequally yoked to them, such as: missionary dating or engagement, hoping the intended will become a believer; marriage to an unbeliever; business partnerships, etc.

The Corinthians were participating in immoral sexual practices and being led away from holy living.

We are called to influence a dying world, without its' pull influencing us in a negative way. We cannot influence unbelievers if we isolate ourselves from them. I believe we can have unbelieving friends and acquaintances so long as they are not influencing us in a negative way, and if our primary fellowship is with believers.

We are to change "the atmosphere" around us...not the other way around. We are a "peculiar" people, and will never "fit in" with ungodliness, nor are we meant to be just another "chameleon" in the crowd of unbelievers. We are salt and light, and if living a holy life, others should want to join us!

Separation from darkness. they are to come to light and not be unequally yoked .

They are called to serve the Lord in every situation, they were called to walk with God not to depend on their own understading but to God.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1) What kind of separation is Paul calling the Corinthians to? How can they strike a balance between separating themselves from sinful practices that mess up their spiritual lives while at the same time maintaining friendships with pagan neighbors and co-workers?

The separation Paul is talking about is being separate from participating in the sins of unbelievers. We are called to be in the world but not of it. We are called to reach the lost. We have to be in relationship, but if the influence of their lives start to impact our lives, causing us to sin, then we need to separate ourselves from those circumstances. We are to be the influence for good and holy lives. Not the other way around. The sins involved that are being practiced should cause us grief in our hearts for the people, because we hate sin and know it destroys. Our mindset should be in mentoring and pulling others away from the sin, not entering in.

The balance in maintaining these friendships is in preparation, prayer, seeking God's wisdom to walk with Him every minute, spiritual warfare and knowing our own weaknesses. If we are built up in prayer and the Word when we start our day, we will see the Holy Spirit preparing and guiding us into the day. One day, I was getting scripture on sins I had overcome. I questioned God on it, certain I was being careful in my life to maintain freedom and I was wondering on why I was receiving so many scriptures on it. I soon had my answer when someone I was mentoring contacted me and was having a set back and started trying to entice me to think on the "good old days" too. I was absolutely prepared to meet that and saw it for exactly what it was. I could give a good sound answer back (NO!) and turn the tables on Satan, not only to protect myself, but I was prepared to give all the reasons I never would go back. Indeed, I could say with deep conviction that I didn't even WANT to go back and turned the situation around for that person too. I had to recognize the spiritual battle that it was, walk in the wisdom given to me, the preparation I had been given in it and I was on guard against any weakness I had in it from my past. I drew on the truth I knew and continued to walk forward with the person God had sent to me to mentor.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1) What kind of separation is Paul calling the Corinthians to? How can they strike a balance between separating themselves from sinful practices that mess up their spiritual lives while at the same time maintaining friendships with pagan neighbors and co-workers?Spiritual Ways from fleshly ways from within and without...It is hard to battle self/inner demons less having to deal with temptations from the same demons at others expense...Staying PRAYED UP,FASTED UP & MEDITATED UP helps us keep the FULL ARMOUR OF GOD protecting those that LOVE the LORD...GOD BLESS

Separation from sin. They have to cut off relationships & activities that will lead them back to sin. Friendship with these people does not mean you'll do the things they do to sin, although some relationships are toxic & they must release themselves from them. Love the sinner, not the sin. You know what will tempt you to sin.....

Paul calls believers to separation from any influence of sin to the highest degree possible. In order to be salt and light in the world, we must maintain associations and even friendships with unsaved people, just as Jesus did. But there is a line we must not cross of participation in unholy activities, even something as simple as listening to dirty jokes. We're not to be conformed to this world and its influences.

However, Paul clearly warns us elsewhere that we must break fellowship with a believer who knowingly continues in the sins of the unholy unsaved life. That doesn’t mean severing all ties, and it must be done in humility and love, with a burden for intercession and a heart’s desire for future reconciliation. Jesus interacted with such people but knew not to spend a lot of time with them. The life of holiness requires separation TO God, and thus FROM worldly influences/activities. That requires consistent time and fellowship with God in His Word so that the mind is being renewed and transformed to holiness. And it demands constant yielding to the Spirit's discernment and direction - which will never be in the direction of sinful practices.

We are to desire holy living and so we are to separate ourselves from any unholy living or life standards. We are in this world to bring glory to God's name, to win souls for Him, and to learn how to live holy lives ourselves. It requires knowing what is a holy life, what is clean and unclean. It also requires areas of ackwardness as we leave groups that are practicing the "ways of this world" or speak out publicly against somethings that are wrong but popular.

We are to love God and what He desires more than our own comfort or desire to fit in so as not to feel lonely or feel the sting of persecution and pain.

I am in a difficult circumstance right now with someone else. Please remember that person and me in your prayers. And I do feel fear and thank God for it (the fear) because it will drive me right to my knees and to the throne of grace for mercy to help in time of need.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

CLEANSING OURSELVES AND TURNING AWAY FROM SIN AND TURNING TO GOD MEANT THAT CORINTHIANS

WERE TO HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH PAGANISM .THIS IS WHAT PAUL WAS TRYING TO GET ACROSS TO THE PEOPLE OF CORINTH. THEY WERE TO MAKE A CLEAN BREAK WITH THEIR PAST AND GIVE THEIR LIVE TO GOD ALONE. WE CANNOT LIVE A TWO-SIDED LIVE WE ARE WITH GOD OR OR AGAINST HIM.

Paul is calling the Corinthians to be totally separated from their old sinful way of life. They can be friends with their pagan neighbors without compromising holiness by refusing to partake in any ungodly activities, they need clear boundaries which they must not cross. That means leaving physically sometimes, and being outspoken in love sometimes. They need to be prayerful and uncompromising.

We are to cleanse ourselves; we are to SEPERATE from "carnality", the immoral practices and desires of the flesh.

Paul is pleading with the Corinthian believers, they must separate themselves by not following in the same path as those who walk in the filthiness of the flesh, if it be a pagan neighbor, co-worker, or a BELIEVER who continues to PRACTICE fornication, covetousness, etc., the reason being is, we have the promise, we are the temple of God, and the temple is not for fornication, to please the flesh, allowing these things to take first place, displaying to the world the idolatry of the spirit.

SEPERATION from "sin" is how we can truly be a "FRIEND", it is the balance between us and those who say they believe and have not separated themselves from "sin", or from the pagan-neighbor, SEPERATION from "sin" is how we put to practice our greatest calling, “to LOVE God first", it is then that we can maintain a true friendship with all others, as we go about loving others as ourselves, a true friendship indeed. :)

Paul calls the Corinthians and us to holiness. What he is saying is from God and Christ to become a living example to the world in living a holiness live.

How can they strike a balance between separating themselves from sinful practices that mess up their spiritual lives while at the same time maintaining friendships with pagan neighbors and co-workers? Be their friends for you have to tell them about Christ boldly. Pray each time you go to see your unbelieve friends. Tell them about Christ and what he has done for you and what He can do for the others.

What kind of separation is Paul calling the Corinthians to? How can they strike a balance between separating themselves from sinful practices that mess up their spiritual lives while at the same time maintaining friendships with pagan neighbors and co-workers?

Paul is calling on the Corinthians to not to yoke themselves to unbelievers. However, this does not mean that we are not to associate with them, but we are to separate ourselves from anything that would lead us into sin.

The kind of separation that Paul is calling the Corinthians to is that of separating from those that will entice them back into sin.

I think that the way we can strike a balance between separating ourselves from sinful practices that mess up their lives is not to be with them when they perform those practices. We can still be their friends by helping them when we can.

Paul is preaching that Christians should seperate themselves from any one that will lead them astray into sin.

We can be friends to non Christians so that we can win them to God but we should not join them to sin or participate in their sinful practices..

Paul is calling Christians to separate themselves from non Christians anytime when that relationship will lead us back into sin and degradation of our former live. The balance of maintaining friendships with non Christians happens when we do things with them and are their friends to influence them for Christ. But we must know when to cut the tie if we are being pulled into sin.

The separation that to leads to purity in God.

Their lives are to influence others that are outside God's Kingdom yet to beware of backsliding.

• 2 months later...

Paul is calling the Corinthians to separate themselves from thos people who caused them to sin.

They can strike a balance between separating themselves from sinful practices that mess up their spiritual lives while

at the same time maintaining friendships with pagan neighbors and co-workers by leading the pagans to denounce

their sinful practices and repent of sins.