JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Men-pleasers and God-pleasers

• 2 months later...

Q4. (2 Corinthians 8:21-22) What is the balance between living our lives wholly before God without being men-pleasers, and doing what is right in the sight of men?

The balance is to follow the example of Christ emulating as well the motives the He followed as He graced the earth. When we move away from that our motives change and we as well move from the Will of God.

The balance is to strive not to give into flesh, striving to live in a manner whereby it reflects according to His guidance as His guidance recommends. No one is above reproach therefore we need to express extreme caution as varying temptations lurk. Pride, the desire to be liked, and as relating to giving, giving with the wrong motive to been seen does not please God.

The money will work that is given, however it will not work as the Lord would have it to because the spirits are not in agreement with The Spirit!

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (2 Corinthians 8:21-22)

What is the balance between living our lives wholly before God without being men-pleasers, and doing what is right in the sight of men?

I don’t think there is a balance as such to be kept. All things have to be done honestly whether before God or in the sight of men. There cannot be two ways of doing things. We are all required to lead lives that are morally upright, and praiseworthy. To avoid being branded as hypocrites we have got to be honest and right before God and men.

What is the balance between living our lives wholly before God without being men-pleasers, and doing what is right in the sight of men

It is called prioritizing. Once we have lived up to God's Word, it leads us to living with man. Knowing of the past, present and future deceit, as we administer and live according to the Word, it must be translated in a way that man sees its purity.

Balance occurs naturally when our eyes are on God through all our affairs--especially those with the church. Unbelievers are watching....... We need to be pure in all our dealings so no one can dig up dirt about us and smear God's name.

I agree with Pastor--Money, sex & power are three areas men in high offices are prone to fall into disgrace and downfall. Look at those running for political office right now & how indiscretion smudges their accountability.....

What is the balance between living our lives wholly before God without being men-pleasers, and doing what is right in the sight of men?

The balance between living our lives wholly before God without being men-pleasers and doing what is right in the sight of men is our actions. When we are required to follow the Gospel that we sholud live acording to what God wants and not men; we should understand that, our actions before men reflects on the Gospel. Ths we should also be associated with any wrong doings and strive not to make men have wrong perceptions of us; in this they will see the Gospel in us.

Q4. (2 Corinthians 8:21-22) What is the balance between living our lives wholly before God without being men-pleasers, and doing what is right in the sight of men

We are called to walk with God , we are called to draw men to God we can not live our lives to please men. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO LOOSE YOUR LIFE INTO HIM. John 12 v 24-26 He is faithful

Q4. (2 Corinthians 8:21-22) What is the balance between living our lives wholly before God without being men-pleasers, and doing what is right in the sight of men?

I believe the balance comes in living wholly before God FIRST and ALWAYS, (walking in love, and holiness) then what is right in the sight of men naturally follows. If we live to please people it means that God is not our highest priority....and I've learned from experience in the "old days" that we end up not pleasing anyone...including God! (You shall have NO other gods before Me.)

Living to "please men" indicates that our service is being done to be "seen by men", which is never a good motivation! Better to be a simple sheep, following the voice of the Holy Spirit since He alone knows the plan for each of us. (Even Christian voices and advice may lead us away from His path for our lives.)

I think Paul is admonishing us to live to please God, not flaunting our freedom in Christ, which may cause our brothers/ sisters in Christ to "stumble" and to refrain from hypocrisy and the world's vices, which brings shame upon the Body of Christ and ridicule and disrespect for His Name from unbelievers.

What is the balance between living our lives wholly before God without being men-pleasers, and doing what is right in the sight of men? We must always put God first, striving to please Him, live as He would have us live. Sometimes we have to go the extra mile so men will not misinterpret our actions or speech. They would or could use this to harm others in their belief.

We must first love and serve God and live to please him, when our lives are pleasing to God and we love our neighbor, men will see our good deeds and God will get the glory.

Q4. (2 Corinthians 8:21-22) What is the balance between living our lives wholly before God without being men-pleasers, and doing what is right in the sight of men.

I don't know as I see a "balance" in these. We must live wholly for God, by the truth of His Word and our actions must be pure in this. We won't be men pleasers if we do that, in fact, many won't like us at all. But if we DO live by the truth, then we ARE doing what is right in the sight of men. Not that all will "agree" with what they see.....many people are compromising and trading in all kinds of spiritual truths for worldly pleasures, success and money..... even church leaders. People really can find any loop hole or justify any action in their lives. Hopefully, the integrity of another, by living truth, can change and inspire others to live with more integrity also.

Taking the pains to do what is right in the eyes of the Lord is the balance, for then it will also be right in the eyes of men. :huh:

We need to serve God and do what is pleasing to him who sees the heart. We however also need to be seen do justice in matters pertaining justice or be seen to be transnparent in the matters of money so that we won't give room for any rancour in the church.

Everything in the world has an equal. While there is good, there is also evil. It has to be balanced so that we may learn from what it presents. If we don't see or experience evil, then we could not figure it out if it was evil. So we have to live a holy live and just understand that there is evil waiting to conguer us so we really need God's help to move us forward.

What is the balance between living our lives wholly before God without being men-pleasers, and doing what is right in the sight of men

We are to live our lives before Christ and not try to please man. However, in doing that we need to take precautions to show we are honest before man.

We need to be transparent before the world and God in all things so that we are above reproach as much as possible. When possible, we need to take whatever precautions are necessary to demonstrate that are we are acting above reproach – especially about such often abused matters as money, sex, and power. We need to live Godly lives.

I think that the balance between living our lives wholly before God with being men-pleasers, and doing what is right in the sight of men is that you follow the principles of the Bible. I have known men who did not compromise on their principles have done greater things than those that have.

Q4. (2 Corinthians 8:21-22) What is the balance between living our lives wholly before God without being men-pleasers, and doing what is right in the sight of men

Honesty helps in our conscience before God and man

We do as Christ asks of us. There is no balance here. We obey our Lord wholly and completely. What He expects of one might not be what He expects of another.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

• 1 month later...

The balance between living our lives wholly before God without being men-pleasers, and doing what is right in the sight of men

by demonstrating love and living the gospel message.

• 7 months later...

4a)How we live our lives reflects on the gospel we seek to share and on Jesus. Balance is to have focus on God always, striving to be credible in our actions, not allow pride of seeking to please others to rule, or any room for others accusations, or our temptation away from right living. We serve God and seek to please him above all, trust him for his provision,being considerate to others, not giving out of wrong motives.In this men will see Christ. Money,sex & power seem to be often areas of weakness

• 1 year later...

The balance is, it is all about God.  We serve and minister to men but being a men-pleaser is a compromise with the world.  Human praise is shallow and fleeting.  One day you are the greatest the next day you are a bum.  The only balance is to honor and serve God and carry out His will in ministering to those around us in grace and love.

Human praise is empty.

• 3 months later...

This is not so complicated; doing the next right thing is right in front of us every moment. We need food, shelter, and social acceptance up to a point. How much we need is a function of our fear and trust in God. 

Do I need a new car this year? Do I need a car at all? What is God's will for my life?

I work in a group and need to help the group do good so all can keep their jobs. I worship in a small church and need to support it

I know what my wife wants and need to keep her happy.

It is not about me, I have Jesus and that is what I need to keep close to me. The rest will work itself out as long as I'm not selfish. God will lead the way. Sometimes this means the way the world might see it will not match the world's values. Still we must respect all others and not make any rash or quick decisions on our own.