JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Reaping Material Benefits

Q1. (2 Corinthians 9:6) Does the Scripture teach that material blessing results from giving generously to God’s work? Why are we so careful to reinterpret this as referring mainly to spiritual blessing? If you compared your own actual giving to God’s work to a tithe (10%) of your income, would it look generous?

• 2 months later...

Q1. (2 Corinthians 9:6) Does the Scripture teach that material blessing results from giving generously to God’s work?

In my opinion the Scriptures do not teach that a believer will receive material blessing equating to physical (a tangible increase of the money given). I do believe they can receive material blessings that are pertinent by giving generously to God's work. With the understanding that I have I do not comprehended that a Believer will receive material / physical blessings for giving.

When a farmer sow, he hopes to reap a return for him (his family. business or organization. The believer should be sowing seed for the furtherance of the Gospel. Relating to the farmer buried seed it may take time to germinate, it may lie in the ground with no obvious sign of a return or of increase. However in the process of time and by the grace of God, by acting according to the wisdom God gave the farmer the seed springs up and produce an increase. With the Believer willfully giving money they should not sow seed with the intent of receiving a return for themselves, they gave it for the purpose of God's work, and act of benevolence, an act of kindness, etc.. In regards to an increase, an abundant harvest, just as with the agricultural seed, the benefactor, as they wait in time their good deeds may not be visible. However in time the seed will grow, God's work will manifest and according to His Will be magnified.

We have no recording where by giving in the book of Acts those who did gained material blessings physically. However we do have recorded that many were sustained and The Church increased.

Acts 16:5 So the churches were strengthened in the faith and grew daily in numbers. NIV And so were the churches established in the faith, and increased in number daily. KJV

This is a bad example or likeness, when I give to a charitable organization I don't expect to receive a material increase, however I believe that the kingdom is furthered by my giving.

Why are we so careful to reinterpret this as referring mainly to spiritual blessing?

Many are careful to interpret sowing and reaping because there are spiritual blessings to be received as well as there are pertinent (material) blessing also. Having God delight in our actions are certainly a Spiritual blessing! Although the God we serve is not a slot machine we trust that God will provide, He is the God of provisions. The God we serve can never go bankrupt, nor is He in debt to any human, or any being. Spiritually, we can trust that God will reward the giving heart both now and in eternity.

If you compared your own actual giving to God’s work to a tithe (10%) of your income, would it look generous?

I believe that it would.

I tithe and I give offerings because I believe in our time that finances are needed to aid in some of the efforts that are Christian based. They also aid with the maintenance of a church and activities if a church has activities.

Culturally it would not be feasible to tithe crops or their likeness, however I do not find in the Scriptures Old Testament or New where the people were given instructions to tithe money. Abram tithe spoils (the bounty he collected from war) and Jacob made a commitment to give God back a tenth of his increase if God would fulfill certain conditions: be with him, watch over him on this journey back to his father's house in peace, give him food to eat, and clothes to wear. (Genesis 28:20-22). I understand the principle of tithing was before Abram, if it were not he would not have known about it nor would have Melchizedek. Abram, Melchizedek and Jacob having knowledge of tithing places tithing prior to the Mosaic Law. Many who lived in the Old Testament had riches (silver, gold and precious stones) yet we do not have a recording where they tithed these riches.

Deuteronomy 14:22-29 gives us one reference of accommodation as they moved from the wilderness into Canaan. This guidance was given due to the travel distance involved, it is too far to carry the tithe from the fields, the tithes were to be converted to money, the money to be used for the Levites and services ordained by the Lord.

There is a reference to money as an offering (2nd Kings 12:4-16) however I have not seen a ref to tithing money.

Again I tithe because there is a need relating to the principle, services are still ordained by the Lord and there are still servant that provide or facilitate the service. In our day money is the feasible medium, however it doesn't stop there. Here is another bad analogy, imagine how a child feels knowing that there estranged parent lives a block or two away and all that they do is send money. They never invest a percentage of their time, share their talents or experiences. Just as it is beneficial to tithe finances to God's work, we are to tithe intangibles as well.

Being that Paul is not referring to tithing, those who do not believe that tithing is required, these Christians should give in a manner as the Lord prospered so that the services can be rendered.

I am blessed of the Lord where I am able to tithe and give offerings, praise the Lord!

Q1. (2 Corinthians 9:6)

Does the Scripture teach that material blessing results from giving generously to God’s work?

Why are we so careful to reinterpret this as referring mainly to spiritual blessing?

If you compared your own actual giving to God’s work to a tithe (10%) of your income, would it look generous?

Yes, God takes great pleasure in giving us both spiritual and material gifts, and He wants us to follow His example to be generous in our giving. We read in James 1:17: “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father…”. God is unsparing in His giving, besides sending His Son, the gifts God makes available to His children are good and perfect. We can never outdo God in His giving no matter how open-handed we are; we will experience God’s greater generosity. I feel, however, our motive in giving should not be to give much in order to get much more in return. It must be out of love and gratitude to our Lord. Looking at my own giving, I’m ashamed to say, does not look generous at all.

Does the Scripture teach that material blessing results from giving generously to God's work?

Yes.

We are so careful to reinterpret this as referring mainly to spiritual blessing because of our reluctance to give tithe to God's work.

If you compared your own actual giving to God's work to a tithe (10%) of your income, would it look generous?

No.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 9:6) Does the Scripture teach that material blessing results from giving generously to God’s work? YES!

Why are we so careful to reinterpret this as referring mainly to spiritual blessing? WE DON'T BELIEVE GOD WHEN HE SAYS "HE WANTS US TO PROSPER AND BE IN HEALTH JUST AS OUR SOUL PROSPERS." 3 JOHN 2

If you compared your own actual giving to God’s work to a tithe (10%) of your income, would it look generous? YES.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 9:6) Does the Scripture teach that material blessing results from giving generously to God’s work?

Yes, it does, absolutely! We can't out give God, and He's a generous Father Who loves to bless His children with as much as we can handle without it "ruining" us. Jesus said in Luke 6:38: "Give and gifts will be given to you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will they pour into your pouch (the bosom of your robe) For with the measure you deal out (the measure you use when you confer benefits on others), it will be measured back to you." That's pretty clear to me that we are to be generous givers, and the Lord will repay our generosity!

I think it has to do with wrong teaching, that the root of all evil is money...rather than the correct version "The LOVE of money is the root of all evil". Money is a necessity in our world, and the Word teaches us that we reap what we sow. If we sow sparingly, we'll reap sparingly. (If I only plant 10 seeds in my garden, I'll get 10 plants. If I plant 100 seeds, I'll get 100 plants and a much larger harvest from those plants.)

But his blessing comes in many ways besides money....He gives favor and in many other ways as well.

Yes.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 9:6) Does the Scripture teach that material blessing results from giving generously to God’s work? Why are we so careful to reinterpret this as referring mainly to spiritual blessing? If you compared your own actual giving to God’s work to a tithe (10%) of your income, would it look generous?

No, I don't think the Bible promises if I give generously, that I will receive material blessings. Will God always provide for me? Absolutely! And I can testify to that! But I would hope to never give, expecting that God owed me anything. I've given completely of all the grocery money in my pocket when moved by the Spirit. I have financed ministries beyond my abilities to my last penny and at the expense of wondering how my own bill would be paid in another day or two. And I have given 20% in tithing. I give of my gifts and abilities and have been faithful to give testimony to Jesus, mentoring others. I have taken prisoners into my home, looked after the sick, given to the poor, and supported other ministries both monetarily and with prayer. I have always been provided for, but never once have I become rich off of it.

I would treasure a Spiritual blessing any day over a monetary one. I trust God to provide for me and my family and in all these years, He has been faithful and good to me. I'm reminded of verses from Proverbs to share.

Proverbs 30:7-9:

" Two things I ask of you Lord; do not refuse me before I die:

Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches,

but give me only my daily bread.

Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, "Who is the Lord?"

Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God."

That's good enough for me and if He should ever decide to bless me with monetary riches, well, I know to pray where He would have me spend it and I would be hopeful to do that.

Praise God!

Does the Scripture teach that material blessing results from giving generously to God’s work? Yes, I believe it does. I do not think that material just means money. Material blessings can include a roof over our head, food on the table, shoes on our feet. God dosen't give this to us as a reward, but as a sign of His great love for us. Someone with very little money can still reap Gods blessings.

Why are we so careful to reinterpret this as referring mainly to spiritual blessing? I'm not sure. I know God blesses us spiritually by promising us a home with Him in heaven, but that has nothing to do with the money we give to His service, but has to do with our belief in Christ.

If you compared your own actual giving to God’s work to a tithe (10%) of your income, would it look generous? Yes. I give as I can, when I can. The church gets the tithe, but others need money too. This isn't a part of my tithe, but a little of the love God has given me, given to others.

2 Cor 9:6- 6-But this (I say),He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly and he which soeth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.

7-Every man according as he purposeth in his heart,(so let him give)not grudgingly,or of necessity for God loveth a cheerful giver.

8-And God (is)able to make all grace abound toward you that ye,always having all sufficiency in all things,may abound to every good work

Answer:

1.Does the Scripture teach that material blessing results from giving generously to God’s work?

In a sense YES..but if your purpose in giving is to multiply your money,and that there is no love in it,then this scripture is not for you.

The heart is where God is looking,not on the amount of money we give..if we can give big amount more than 10 percent and yet give cheerfully then this verse is for you....

But material blessings does not come only proportional to what you give,FOR WE CANNOT BUY GOD'S BLESSINGS..

God will send His Rain to the just and the unjust..God is blessing mankind because it is His character to bless..

And we can take lesson in Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard,wherein the Landowner paid the same amount of money for those worker who work less than the one who work more or longer hours...and when those who work longer hours complain about the Landowner being UNFAIR...He replied:

Matthew 20:14-15-Take what is yours and go.I want to give to this last man---the same as I give you.AM I NOT PERMITTED TO DO WHAT I WANT WITH WHAT BELONGS TO ME?OR ARE YOU ENVIOUS BECAUSE I AM GENEROUS?

The Landowner is a picture of Jesus Christ,and those that work longer hours is a picture of those who try to earn their blessings by their hard work....

Yes, the scripture does teach that we will be materially blessed from giving generously to God's work. Some people may think it's more spiritual to expect only spiritual blessing. Sometimes I give only a little, other times I give large amounts, I try to be led by the Lord.

Indeed the Scripture seems to teach about such material blessing.

Because it doesn't sound logic to become richer by giving away.

No...

No, i dont think so, Phil 4:19 And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus. Search your heart before givin

I used to give, and i stoped because it was all for the wrong reasons, the material thing i felt like i am buying God 's blessings. Now i am waiting for the guidence.

Yes,the word teaches that God will open the window of heaven and us out a blessing

that we don't have room It don't say what this bless will be I believe that where we

need a blessing this is where our father will put this bless at It may be healing for the body

It my be material It is where God see we need this blessing.

Because we don't want it to look like material is all we are praying our tithes for.

If we are giving to God for builting our his house we should not be comparing.

Yes, Scripture teaches that giving generously can result in material blessings.

I have learnt to give ALL my tithes to God so that I will not rob Him. I have also learnt over the years to give an increased offering to God every year. In addition,I give also for God's work through agencies and other churches and the needy from my net 90% after paying the 10% tithes. Indeed, without feeling proud about it, I can say without doubt that I have also seen the hand of God in terms of blessings and increase in my possessions.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 9:6) Does the Scripture teach that material blessing results from giving generously to God's work?

I do not think the purpose of the Scriptures is to teach us material blessings will be the results if we give generously to God's work, I believe Psalm 112 sums it up, Blessed is the man that fears the LORD, and delights greatly in his commandments, His seed shall be mighty upon the earth, and the generation of the upright will be blessed, WEALTH AND RICHES shall be in his house: and his RGHTEOUSNESS endures for ever.

The reason Paul is bringing the Scriptures truth to those who have made a pledge to give, is for them not to fear, for God will supply plenty, so that they may give generously.

God's blessing is many, both material and spiritual blessings.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 9:6) Does the Scripture teach that material blessing results from giving generously to God's work?

Answer: Yes. God gave us his only begotten son so we ought to give generously.

Why are we so careful to reinterpret this as referring mainly to spiritual blessing? Because God delights in those giving generously.

If you compared your own actual giving to God's work to a tithe (10%) of your income, would it look generous? No, eventough it may be okay with you, you must give GOD everything you have before He could give back to you.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 9:6) Does the Scripture teach that material blessing results from giving generously to God’s work? No. The gospel of Jesus Crhist is not a get rich scheme like some preach it. If it were so then the disciples of Christ who left good paying jobs to follow Christ would have had a better life. Andrew: Crucified. Bartholomew: Beaten then crucified. James son of Alphaeus: Stoned to death. James son of Zebedee: Beheaded. Judas: Stoned. John: Exiled. Matthew: Speared to death. Peter: Crucified upside down. Philip: Crucifed. Simon: Crucified. Thomas: Crucified. Matthias: Crucified. If there remains any doubt; here is what Paul says in Philippians 3:

17Join together in following my example, brothers and sisters, and just as you have us as a model, keep your eyes on those who live as we do. 18 For, as I have often told you before and now tell you again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. 19Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his

control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.

Why are we so careful to reinterpret this as referring mainly to spiritual blessing? Based on what Christ teaches, I believe that we need to interpret this verse just as it is. "Do not store up treasures on earth." Paul finishes his thought with the reason; "So you will abound in every good work." Resulting in a righteousness which endures forever.

If you compared your own actual giving to God’s work to a tithe (10%) of your income, would it look generous? Compared to a tithe. Yes.. Compared to what some have given. No.

Those who teach that if you give God will bless you back 30, 60, 100 times has done more harm to the gospel of Christ than Satan himself. I know those who have given much as a last hope and when the end of the month came and they still didn't have rent money and their stomaches we still empty they didn't blame the false preachers they blamed God.

Does the Scripture teach that material blessing results from giving generously to God’s work? Why are we so careful to reinterpret this as referring mainly to spiritual blessing? If you compared your own actual giving to God’s work to a tithe (10%) of your income, would it look generous?

1. Yes, the scripture does teach that material blessing results from giving generously to God's work. However, I do believe that that is not the intent that if you give you will get a blessing. You have to give from the heart and not because you want a material blessing. Scripture is letting us know that if you give generously from the heart you will receive a material blessing.

2. We don't want people to think that we are just giving to receive a material blessing.

3. Yes, I give more than 10%.

I don’t think that the Scripture teaches that material blessing results from giving generously to God’s work but is one of the things that does happen when you do. But I think that is the spiritual blessings are the best. These are things that cannot be bought and they give you the best rewards.

Yes although the spiritual is the best!

We are afraid to trust God. If we go through a poor spell after we have given we will be embarrassed and feel made fun of by others. We can never out give God and He is under no obligation to do it in our time but His. God knows our hearts and even when we cannot give as we would like He knows.

Look generous to whom? When Jesus taked about the widows mite the people did not see, He did and pointed it out to them. The main part is how I feel about my giving and how God feels. My husband and I both like to give however how much is the difference. I feel we are both generous people.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

I have found a very selfish side in me that I didn't know was there. I think where did this come from. I never wanted much in material goods so this came as a surprise. It makes me wonder what else is there I don't want.

The scripture does teach that material blessings result from giving generously to God's work. We like to reinterpret this because spiritual blessings seem to be more holy than material blessings. We tithe and give above our tithe and know that God's word is true.

• 3 weeks later...

Does the Scripture teach that material blessing results from giving generously to God’s work?

No. Not really God's principle that we will certainly receive material blessing because God owes no one. It is good we hope for spiritual blessings.

We are human always want a good return so the preacher will always encourage us to do our best to please God. This should be our best investment in life.

No.