JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Greeting with a Holy Kiss

• 2 months later...

Q4. (2 Corinthians 13:12) What is the equivalent of a “holy kiss” in your congregation and culture?

A genuine hug, and or hand shake

Why is a warm familial greeting so important in a healthy congregation?

It shows affection for one another , if genuinely given and received the greeting reassures sentiment. There is so much wealth in greetings that there is not enough space to write it. A warm and received greeting in any culture is important and can have a great impact on all that follows. Warm greeting can help melt coldness pave the way for interaction / communication.

Why do people sometimes resist being greeted warmly?

From the moment of birth I believe that every human being touched desires to be touched however in their growing something happened. The reasons are many as why people sometimes resist being greeted warmly, too many to list, however here are a few:

Some may have a phobia, a fear of touching or of being touched (which may have stemmed from an event or experience).

Some people have been hurt and do not want to allow someone into their space.

Some feel that the greeting is not genuine, that it is superficial or there is an ulterior motive.

Some grew up in an environment where it was not common place.

Some could be germaphobic.

Some could have a superior complex ,"can't let those common like touch me".

Again the reasons are countless, I am not a doctor however in my opinion there is a need for healing to occur if a person does not desire a warm greeting, be it the greeting a holy, kiss, a hand shake, a hug or any measure of touching. There in my opinion is an need for healing and surrender to the Lord. My sincerest hope is that I am not being crass by that statement, nor none sympathetic to someone suffering through that experience. However the God we serve is an embracing God, a God that touches more than spiritually. He gave many example as He graced the earth, just as a warm greeting can affect the possibility of a relationship so can non-warmed greetings / non-touching.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (2 Corinthians 13:12)

What is the equivalent of a “holy kiss” in your congregation and culture?

The men greet each other with a handshake, and men and ladies, as well as ladies with each other, with a kiss on the cheek. Yes, in our congregation it helps us realise we belong to God’s family and as such are brothers and sisters in Christ. It also helps to “break the ice” promoting love, peace, and harmony in the church. I would think some people resist being greeted warmly because they are very reserved by nature and do not want to draw attention to themselves. Perhaps they are new to the church and do not yet feel part of the church as such.

Thanks Pastor Ralph for an excellent Bible study!! I learn so much from them and have found them to be a blessing in my walk with the Lord. I periodically go over all your previous Bible studies that I have completed, giving me an even greater understanding of the Word. I truly appreciate all the hard work that goes into each Bible study. Once again many thanks. God Bless.

Q4. (2 Corinthians 13:12) What is the equivalent of a "holy kiss" in your congregation and culture?

A hand-shake, a hug, or a pat on the back.

Why is a warm familial greeting so important in a healthy congregation? IT ENCOURAGES AND EMPOWERS OTHERS TO DO THE SAME.

Why do people sometimes resist being greeted warmly? GUILT AND HATE.

Hugs & handshakes.

It bonds everyone together, as though they were family--like they really are!

Many reasons why they would not want to openly show affection for others. If our brother or sister are uncomfortable with that--give them time & space. Maybe a pat on their shoulder would suffice--just to show you care.

Yes, Pastor Ralph. Thank you for another great study! Bless you & your family this Christmas!

Q4. (2 Corinthians 13:12) What is the equivalent of a “holy kiss” in your congregation and culture? Why is a warm familial greeting so important in a healthy congregation? Why do people sometimes resist being greeted warmly?

We do not kiss in our greeting. An equivalent of a kiss is warm hand shake for men. Bowing low by the women to a senior or elderly is also the practice.

Warm greeting familiar greeting bond people togather as people recognise that they are loved and appreciated.

Q4. (2 Corinthians 13:12) What is the equivalent of a “holy kiss” in your congregation and culture?

Our church is a loving, warm, friendly body of believers. Hugs are common and welcome to most. (I appreciate that the men have been taught that there is a way to hug women that is not sexual in nature, and yet is still warm!)

Warm greetings are welcoming and break down barriers...they demonstrate love, trust and acceptance.

I'm a greeter at our church, and there are a few folks who are withdrawn, "closed", and do not make eye contact. If they don't extend their hand when I reach out to them, I assume they are wounded, frightened, shy, or in some way there by the "skin of their teeth" just barely! I pray for them when they come to mind that they will accept and receive the love of Jesus and of His people and will eventually feel like they belong!

Q4. (2 Corinthians 13:12) What is the equivalent of a “holy kiss” in your congregation and culture? Why is a warm familial greeting so important in a healthy congregation? Why do people sometimes resist being greeted warmly?

An equivalent of a holy kiss in our congregation and culture would be a handshake or a hug. Sometimes a kiss on the cheek or on the forehead. These are so important because they show genuine affection, security with others, trust and are outward expressions of love. Some people resist this because of guilt (they think any kind of physical touch with another is sinful and unchaste, because of their own thoughts and desires or unrepentant sin or guilt from false teachings.) Some do not feel secure with others or do not have trust levels in relationships. Some have been hurt by others and see a hug as hypocritical.

I was once in a situation where I was judged for (genuinely and innocently) hugging others. My "intentions" were questioned. I asked another church member why others looked at me like that. She said it wasn't so much me, but that I couldn't be hugged by "holy" people because of the way I looked. I was merely judged "un-huggable" because I was an "attractive" woman. I was labeled because of that. That hurt, considering God made me as I am. I will still hug some that I trust today, but that experience left me hurting and hesitant even today.

A hand shake or sometimes a hug. It show a caring heart toward each other. They sometimes resist because they don't want to become close to anyone they fear they might owe them something. They fear be a part of something bigger than them selves.

Q4. (2 Corinthians 13:12)

What is the equivalent of a "holy kiss" in your congregation and culture?

In my congregation and culture, equivalent to the "holy kiss" is the hug.

A warm familial greeting is so important in a healthy congregation because it strengthens the bond between the members of the congregation.

Sometimes people do resist being greeted warmly beacuse of certain beliefs or just failure to understand the meaning of fellowship.

Q4. (2 Corinthians 13:12) What is the equivalent of a "holy kiss" in your congregation and culture?

In our culture, a holy kiss is most often expressed by a handshake; in my congregation, we often greet a “brother” with a hug.

Because the meaning of the word “kiss” is “Philema”, and its root meaning is “Phileo” that of brotherly love, and because we who have God’s true “love” living in us, we are called to greet each other with that of a “holy” kiss, that of brotherly love, a greeting of warmth, either through a handshake, a hug, or a kiss on the cheek.

Its importance is seen in our calling - to “love” one another, we don’t know how many people that come through the doors of our churches are in need of a warm touch, a greeting that is genuine, expressing, you are welcome here.

There are many reasons why people resist being greeted warmly, our culture has been slowly taking God and His commandments out and replacing it with the false teaching and philosophy of the world, we see hugs are no longer acceptable in our public school systems, God’s moral standards are being replaced with that of man, the need to express the warmth of God’s love to others is very much needed in our churches today, hugs don’t always do it, nor should they, but a warm greeting of a genuine handshake is one way of spreading the love of God, of saying , "we are glad you came, let us worship God together". :)

I would like to thank you for bringing to us another great lesson, and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

I think the equivalent of a “holy kiss” in my congregation and culture is to shake hands and sometime hug the person. Usually from male to male it is shaking hands but male to female it is with a hug.

I think that a familial greeting is so important in a healthy congregation because it bring unity to that congregation. You can have confidence in the person that you are greeting with will be you friend in need and in the good things in life. The reason that a person may resist being greeted warmly is because they don’t trust you.

The equivalent of a "holy kiss" today can be a friendly smile and maybe a handshake and a few kind words. This is important because it helps people to relax and feel a part of the church family. This in turn helps the church to grow in love and unity, which brings blessing from God and helps with the flow of the Spirit among the congregation, so important!

People sometimes resist a warm greeting because they've been hurt and haven't known much love in their lives. Sometimes the greeting may be given falsely, and they may sense this.

What is the equivalent of a “holy kiss” in your congregation and culture?

A genuine hug, hand shake or head bow down

It shows affection for one another.Warm greeting signifies a heartily acceptance. It helps melting away coldness and paves the way for interaction or communication.

They might have their own reasons.

• 3 weeks later...

It has been different everywhere we have lived.

I find it cold up here and hard to even get a smile from many people.

Sometimes there is a hug which is very comforting, kind words, showing genuine interest in the person and thanking them for anything they have done to make the service possible. (for those who do things).

A warm greeting shows in some ways the difference between a congregation that is centered on Christ and one that is centered on self.

Why do people resist being greeted warmly? It is a wonder when you think about it. I would say culture, background, a person's love language and not having the Holy Spirit ( not saved or backslidden and repressing the Holy Spirit).

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

• 2 weeks later...

The greeting of an embrace is the equivalent of a “holy kiss” in my congregation and culture.

It make people feel that the belong, and that they are appreciated by others in the congregation.

These are people who themselves do not give freely the love that is given to them.

• 7 months later...

a)Embracing by giving male a hug or handshake,female kiss on cheek or hug.

B)Shows sign of acceptance,lowering any barriers in humility &surrendering to the Lord.It brings healing &compassion.

C)Various reasons-If have been hurt, if sense action is superficial, have phobia at closeness, not used to it in culture.Guilt &other negative feelings.

• 1 year later...

The equivalent of a "holy kiss" in most of the congregations I have been involved in and the culture at large is either a hug or hand-shake.  A warm familial greeting is important in a healthy congregation because expresses love, inclusiveness, care, interest, concern, and "I am glad to see you and worship with you."  It states that I am a part of your life and I love having fellowship with you in Christ.

I a lot of people don't like the familiarly and closeness from others that being greeted warmly includes.  Many like distance.

• 1 year later...

The equivalent of a "holy kiss" in our culture is a hand shack or hug and perhaps a pat on the back.

A warm friendly greeting (which expresses our love) in our congregation to fellow believers or new comers is an indication we are proud to have them there and hope we can edify them with God's word.

There may be some people who resist being greeted warmly because they feel they are being pushed into something they may not agree on or want to do. They maybe people who are just private type of individuals. What ever the situation or disposition of the person, we should always show our love and appreciation for them.  

• 8 years later...

I have spent a lot of time in Europe, particularly France, where kissing (faire la bise) is a secular greeting, though increasingly the French are shaking hands, like the English. I admit I found it uncomfortable, at first, but grew to like it. There's something about air-kissing another woman's cheeks that suggests familiarity. I feel less comfortable kissing Euro men, even today.

Perhaps we're missing something by not greeting each other with a hug or kiss in church? To make a kiss-greeting natural, we'd have to go through some cultural changes.

Handshakes are rather cold, even when accompanied with a pat on the shoulder because the distance between us remains the same as when we talk to each other. We never draw physically closer when we shake hands, which is exactly why we do it.

I have mixed feelings about greeters at church. The idea is good, but the practice is often awkward. I'm sure it could be improved, but don't know how. I have actually taken another door to avoid greeters I don't know -- confession. There's a natural closeness that comes when friends greet each other ... friends who have known each other for a long time. Or, family. But when a greeter at the door enthusiastically pumps my hand up and down, I pull back. It's instinctual. I think it's because such intimacy has to be developed over time, not forced or pretended.

I just realized that this is the last lesson for 2 Corinthians. I'm very sad to end this. Both the 1 and 2 Corinthians were a huge blessing to me and I want to thank you, Pastor Ralph, for providing these lessons. Yours is a wonderful ministry, Sir.

K