JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Fruit of the Spirit

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Galatians 5:22a) Love is the first and primary fruit of the Holy Spirit, but joy and peace are inseparable from love. Why can't joy and peace exist apart from love -- love for God and love for our neighbors?

Joy and peace cannot exist apart from love -- love for God and love for our neighbors because it is love for God and our neighbors that enable joy and peace in our lives; without love there would be no peace and certainly no joy.

• 2 weeks later...

Love and peace to humans is what salt and baking soda is to bread. They work together to create perfection in the outcome.

Joy and peace come from knowing God, loving God and knowing He loves us. We, because we know He loves us, can put our complete trust in Him--giving us joy & peace in believing.

The first three qualities have to do, primarily, with a Believer's relationship with God through Jesus Christ: "love, joy, peace". The love mentioned here is not in the likeness of erotic, being the first characteristic of the Holy Spirit it is not one that is fleeting nor stimulated by sensual emotions. The love mentioned here is reflective of agape, the kind of love that can have its ultimate source only in God. It describes the kind of love that gives itself over sacrificially to love another as one loves one's own self. We love God because He first loved us, He loves people, we should love people. The joy and the peace are possible because of this love.

The joy and peace mentioned here is not rooted from the world. This joy stems not upon our outwards circumstances, this joy stems from having confidence in our Blessed Hope (1st John 1:3-4), being in fellowship with Christ.

Chaos can be amidst yet we can have the peace mentioned here because this peace also is not dependent upon outward circumstances. This peace just as the joy here stems from the relationship with Christ; "Therefore, having been justified by faith," Paul writes, "we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ" (Romans 5:1). To those in fellowship with Jesus He gives this peace (John 14:27). This will, undoubtedly, have an impact our peaceful relationships with others; but it begins with peace with God.

Without the love mentioned here joy and peace would not have substance.

Q1. (Galatians 5:22a) Love is the first and primary fruit of the Holy Spirit, but joy and peace are inseparable from love. Why can’t joy and peace exist apart from love – love for God and love for our neighbors?

We cannot have the peace and joy that God offers without first loving the way He expects to love. None of these fruits we can achieve on our own (flesh), they can only be accomplish through the working of the Holy Spirit in our hearts.

Q1. (Galatians 5:22a)

Love is the first and primary fruit of the Holy Spirit, but joy and peace are inseparable from love.

Why can't joy and peace exist apart from love - love for God and love for our neighbours?

Love is the foundation of all the other fruit. Each being an outgrowth of love, as they all have their beginning in love. For this reason both joy and peace cannot exist apart from love. This is confirmed when we read of the characteristics of love in 1 Cor 13:4-8, “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails …”. If we live with love in our hearts we will experience a joy and peace from our Heavenly Father that is not affected by outward circumstances.

Q1. (Galatians 5:22a) Love is the first and primary fruit of the Holy Spirit, but joy and peace are inseparable from love. Why can’t joy and peace exist apart from love – love for God and love for our neighbors?

When I first became a Christian, ( a practicing Christian-began a personal walk with Jesus)I remember reading: We love Him, because He first loved us. – 1 John 4:19. And not 'getting it at all'!!

I thought to myself, This is not unconditional love, this is reciprocal love. Such as if one child gives another a piece of candy he EXPECTS to get paid the same courtesy from the other child. He wants a piece of candy, or something in return. Seems all my life this is the kind of love I'd experienced.Then something 'clicked' one day. I was in the store in line and in front of me was a woman of about 40 yrs old, with the mentality of a small child, more like a 4-5 year old. She was so sweet and innocence. What God showd me through her, was spell bounding, amazing!! It truly toughed at my heart strings! I was witnessing a grown adult, acting like a totally innocent babe.The words that she said to her dad over and over again, resound in my heart to this day. She was saying in a loud, proud, childlike voice, "daddy, I love you". daddy, I love you so much. daddy, I love you, I love you daddy ( over and over again, just to make sure he knew how much she loved him) and she would wrap her large adult arms around her daddy's waist and put her head on his shoulder.and snuggle up to him (he was a small man and she actually towered over him). It was a truly amazing sight. Her being an adult physically, and yet still being a child at heart with the innocence of a child. Her outward expression of love,her declaration of love for her father, brought one thing to my mind and only one thing, I had tunnel vision. I thought that's IT!!! It was, to coin a well known phrase, a real "God moment"! That's what God means when He said we must all come to Him as little children. A little child's love is pure, untainted yet by the terrible realities of the world around them, it's enthusiastic, it's immeasurable, it's focused, it's joyful, it's honest, pure,unconditional love! It was then, that I understood what 1 John 4:18 was saying. He was saying i.e. we love Him because His love exemplifies unconditional love. We love Him because He shows us HOW to love!! How amazing is that??? He shows us how to love Him, our neighbors ( forgiveness, especially through his torturous death, taking with him a confessed "criminal" to His paradise, and forgiving his enemies and the the world's sins), and how to love ourselves. Everything is HIS. He created everything, and on that basis alone, that He is our Father, loving Him is easy. He is our Creator and the Creator of the universe. Everything He does is for us, His children. Even if we don't understand it, we know everything is for our best interest. This place, earth is but a mere, minuscule fragment of what His plan is for us. In a blink of an eye this is gone, but His love is never gone, it's eternal! His love is eternally faithful and though there are many things in our lives and the world around us which we don't understand now we will, in our next life with Him. Not BECAUSE He loved us FIRST, but because He showed us what LOVE is! Once you feel and know the Fathers love, it is impossible to separate it from joy and peace, because the three are inseparable. God is love, joy, and peace.

In the worst of circumstance,( and I haven't had an easy life by any means in 'worldly' terms, but by far my blessings outnumber anything imaginable) I can look to God , close my eyes in the midst of turmoil, the worst of circumstances, and picture and meditate on His love, and the cross and His word and I can feel an inner peace wash over me. It is like no other kind of peace or joy found on this earth. It is phenomenal, supernatural, It is sovereign grace. It is a peace and a joy that can only come from loving our supreme Father.

The love mentioned in Gal. 5:22 is the love of God which flows out of our innermost being from Him to us and out to others. If we don't know and believe God loves us, we can't really love ourselves or others. We're told to love others AS MUCH AS WE LOVE OURSELVES. Self contempt or hatred toward oneself, shuts out the love of God. Without the security of knowing and BELIEVING we are loved by God, peace and joy fly out the window, and are replaced by anxiety, fear and inner turmoil. I Cor 13: 2b "If I have not love (God's love in me) I am nothing (a useless nobody), and in v3 "I gain nothing". Amplified (I think of it this way: If the fruit of the Spirit were a plant, love is the tap root into God, from which all the other fruit grows)

Why can't joy and peace exist apart from love? Because without love and understanding God's love and accepting God's love, we can not trust. When a person is without trust there is no peace or joy. There is only fear, anxiety and paranoia. When we can rest in God's love, we are freed to love also. His love spills over from within us. Then we are at peace and have great joy.

Q1. (Galatians 5:22a) Love is the first and primary fruit of the Holy Spirit, but joy and peace are inseparable from love. Why can't joy and peace exist apart from love -- love for God and love for our neighbors?

Because God resides in the heart and God is "LOVE" this is the primary reason the fruit we are to produce would be that of love. "Faith" has rooted in the heart of man "LOVE".

The Son taught us what the greatest commandment is "We are to love the LORD God with all of our being, and in so doing we will learn how to love others, as we love ourselves".

God told us, "If you love me, keep my commandments". THE WHOLE DUTY OF MAN is to FEAR GOD AND KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS.

LOVE tells us - God's statutes are right, pure, they enlighten our eyes to see the truth, and that they will endure forever, they are more to be desired than gold, even that of fine gold, and that they are sweeter than honey, that they are the rejoicing of the heart. (Psalm 122)

What the Holy Spirit is saying to my heart is (Deu 6:17-19) If you will DILIGENTLY, meaning, to GUARD as to protect, the commandments of the LORD your God, and his testimonies, and his statutes, that are written on your heart, you will be doing that which is right and good in the sight of the LORD: and it will be well with you, for they are for your good always, they will be your righteousness, if you observe to do them, in the general sense, be on guard to attend to do all these commandments, for in so doing they will be evidence, a sign, a beacon, a "FRUIT" of who you are.

Deu 6:6-9 And these words, which I command thee this day, SHALL BE IN YOUR HEART: And you shall teach them diligently unto your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in and when you walk by the way, and when you liest down, and when you risest up. And you shall write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.

I now understand what Paul was saying, the "FRUIT" of the Spirit will be the results of following God's commandments, because "LOVE" has established them in the heart and not that of "LEGALISM".

Following the LAW through the eyes of "LEGALISM" will never produce the fruits of the Spirit; following God's commandments through the eyes of "LOVE" is how the FRUIT of the Spirit is produced.

JOY and PEACE are inseparable because JOY of the LORD is our strength, he is our rock, we who have received the word we have found it to be PEACE and JOY to the soul, and they have taken root in the heart of those who are faithful to God; it is the upright heart that rejoices and shouts for JOY, for they know He will keep him in perfect "PEACE" whose mind is stayed on him, as they continue to work out their own salvation by walking in the Spirit, and placing their trust in God and His Son.

And that which was sowed among thorns, is he that heareth the word; and care for this world and the deceptiveness of riches, choke the word; and he is without fruits.

Without the love of Christ in us we cannot know joy and peace because it is only through the love of God that there is joy and peace. And if you know the love of God (through the power of the Holy Spirit) joy and peace will be there. We need to keep our focus on the love of God and not the problems the world brings.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

It would have been enough to mention only the single fruit of love, for love embraces all the fruits of the Spirit. In 1 Corinthians, Paul attributes to love all the fruits of the Spirit: “Charity suffereth long, and is kind,” etc. Here he lets love stand by itself among other fruits of the Spirit to remind the Christians to love one another, “in honor preferring one another,” to esteem others more than themselves because they have Christ and the Holy Ghost within them.

When we love God, we will obey Him and live in peace with Him and also experiencing His joy which is our strength.

to them what we want to be done to us. We will then treat them as Christ would. This wil result in peaceful co- existence and we will be full of joy that comes from the holy Spirit.

You can have peace and joy in your heart but love is totaly different. There is nothing you can do without love, sometimes you if you want to something that is agaist your wish but love will manifest itself.

Q1. (Galatians 5:22a)

Love is the first and primary fruit of the Holy Spirit, but joy and peace are inseparable from love. Why can't joy and peace exist apart from love -- love for God and love for our neighbors?

Joy and peace can't exist apart from love because when you love God or your neighbour you experience joy and when you are happy you then you are in peace. There can't be joy and peace if you don't love God and your neighbour.

If we don't have love for God and love for our neighbors, it is impossible to have joy and peace. Without love there is chaos of some kind in our lives and if there is chaos, we can't truly have joy and peace in our life. For example, if someone you know doesn't live like you think they should...they drink too much...they push their responsibility for their newborn baby off on one of their children...they outwardly announce their disbelief in God...and you just can't stand them. God commands that we should love them and by not doing so it creates a constant 'thorn in our side'. With that 'thorn in our side', you aren't at peace and don't have joy in your life because their behavior constantly bothers you. Instead, we should love the person(our neighbor), pray for them and their behavior; thus giving God their behavior to deal with. If we truly love them then, we won't be battling over their behavior and as a result we will have joy and peace in our life. Consequently, without love, there cannot be complete joy and peace.

When we love as God loves us we also have joy and peace.

Joy and peace are inseparable from love. If we know God, we know love and Christ's love . As Ephesians 3:19 states, "to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God." The fullness of God is joy and peace. Inseparable attributes of a loving God.

Christ died for the ungodly. He endured the cross for the "joy set before Him". As we love our neighbour, we may suffer persecution but joy, and peace, will sustain us as we walk in the footsteps of Jesus.

Joy and peace cannot exist without love. God loved us first that is why we can love Him. He give us the love to love Him with. I love the song "Thank you for loving me" by Tommy Walker. When we have God's love, He fills our heart with joy and peace and with that filling we can love others.