JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Goliath's Taunt

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1 Samuel 17:26-30) Why is David so upset about Goliath’s taunt? Why is Eliab, David’s brother, so upset with David? What does this teach us about David’s faith? What does it teach us about Eliab’s character?

David is so upset about Goliath’s taunt because he is ridiculing the people of God and no one is coming forth to shut him up. Eliab, David’s brother, is so upset with David because David's questioning is showing him and the other soldiers up. They are the ones who should be upset at Goliath and stand up to him; after all they are in the army and David is just a young shepherd boy. This teaches us that David’s faith at this time was fully dependent on God. it teaches us that Eliab, though the elder brother, was jealous of his little brother's confidence that his faith in God would bring Goliath down.

I think that David was offended, first becase he was human. In his fire, I see someone who hears this much taller man taunting, teasing, and bullying his family and his people. David is EveryProudPerson standing up and saying "No more!" I have met, learned, and/or read much about many Davids -- Sojourner Truth, Martin Luther King Jr, the people leading the Stonewall Rebellion, and the founder of my own denomination, the Reverend Troy D. Perry. When any person, whether of meager or greater means, stands against the ridicule, oppression, and persecution of those who are cast away and taken advantage of, that person is David. David rebelled, but it was a Holy Rebellion, standing up for what he knew to be true: that no-one had the right to grind his people - his family and his tribe - under the boot of an oppressor.

The second reason that I believe made David angry was being the youngest - and, presumably, the smallest - in his family (if not, the entire tribe) meant that he was likely a victim of bullying. Just natural, underdevloped human behavior in familial and/or social circles . . . this cannot be a new thing. It receives wider coverage now, as we journey ever-forward in our instant information world. But, it is not new. The reactions of David's elder brother seem to bear this out: Eliab's "sit down, shut up, and go watch the sheep" attitude belies much looking down - as if watching their father's "few sheep" were somehow less noble that cowering at a coward's bullying bootheel. David spoke up, naming the spade for what it is, loud enough for all who would, to listen. I would venture that Eliab was upset for a few reasons: he might (again?) save his little brother's cookies for his mouth writing checks that his behind couldn't cash; Eliab knew that if David showed more courage than he, he (Eliab) would look weaker in the eyes of the elders and their father; Eliab could have been genuinely concerned about David losing his youth too soon; if David got hurt or killed, he'd be the one that their father would hold responsible; and/or just general contempt for somebody so small getting underfoot and causing trouble for which the Hebrew warriors were woefully unprepared.

Eliab's behavior reminds me that when a bully tries to invoke fear, stepping back allows me to realize that it is the fear that drives the bully, not the bully that drives the fear. I find that easy enough to recognize it in the behaviors of others. Like Eliab, I must take the next and hardest step: seeing it in my own.

Q1. (1 Samuel 17:26-30) Why is David so upset about Goliath's taunt? Why is Eliab, David's brother, so upset with David? What does this teach us about David's faith? What does it teach us about Eliab's character?

David is so upset about Goliath's taunt because his comments are defiling to the God of Israel.

Eliab, David's brother is so upset with David because David was asking questions about the giant and about the price the king has in place for any one who kills the giant. He felt David was just poke nosing into a subject he did not have the right to.

The whole issue tells us that David is a bold young man who is not afraid of the giant nor his brother's bluff.

Eliab while trying to show his big- brother protective intention for David might have been jealous of David'd boldness given that he was one of the Israelite's soldiers who were afraid to confront the giant.

(1 Samuel 17:26-30) Why is David so upset about Goliath's taunt?

He comes out to defy Israel, taketh away the reproach from Israel / gets rid of Israel's disgrace.

David is upset because the taunts, although they were heard by the people before Goliath, they were taunts towards whom they believed in. David had not only a passion for his people, he also had a strong passion for the True and Living God who Goliath was disrespecting.

To the man that kills Goliath, "the king will enrich him with great riches, and will give him his daughter, and make his father's house free in Israel."

As David converse with the men he does not mention the potential material gains, he saw Goliath as someone not on the Lord's side, an adversary to the people of God. The men of Israel said, "Surely he has come up to defy Israel," David said, "That he should defy the armies of the living God." When the men of Israel said, "The man who kills him," David said, "The man who kills this Philistine and takes away the reproach from Israel." For forty day (a time of testing the men of Israel coward in shame, they were overwhelmed by the circumstances before them, by what they saw. David saw things differently, Goliath physicality did not change, nonetheless David sought to defend the honor of God and his people, He was believed that as he did so (walked) by faith that the True and Living God would be with him. David saw things from the LORD's perspective, but the men of Israel saw things only from man's perspective.

Even in this day taunts can cause a stir in people, sometime they (we) retort emotionally, sometime they move to disprove the taunt with wisdom and determination.

There may be taunts allowed or ordained in our lives to prompt / provoke us to walk by faith and not by sight. The thing before us maybe a mountain, a Goliath or even a reoccurring pebble in our shoe. David had a spirit as was Caleb and Joshua, the men here had a spirit as was that of the ten other that went into Canaan with Joshua and Caleb. We on an ongoing bases must decide as we live move and have our being what perspective to have, and to maintain

Why is Eliab, David's brother, so upset with David?

Eliab made a strong accusation at the end of his question, this statement is unfounded, and said from an emotional stand point, he was angry.

The reason he was angry can be many, we can only guess, however with certainly we can agree with the Scriptures that he was angry.

Some reasons he could have been angry:

He was the first born, David was the youngest, he didn't want David to see him in a different light (that big brother did not step up to the challenge).

He could have fear that David would be killed if allowed to take the challenge. his perception of David was like his father had when Samuel came to anoint a son of Jesse. David the youngest, he watched the sheep.

He could envy David for his courage, in his anger he did not see the Spiritual connectivity that David desired to defend the honor of God and His people. He had a misconception of David's motives, I know your pride and the insolence of your heart.

He could have been angry because he thought David was trying to provoke someone to fight Goliath, "you have come down to see the battle."

He could have been angry because the light bulb came on David exposed not only a truth but the truth. god and His people were being dishonored and the people for forty days wallowed in shame. Not only that they were willing to wallow in shame and self-pity. Let me say this a different way, there are moment when a person is down that words can hurt more so than help. A man had four son's die within six months, and several members of his church approached him as Job's friends did. Some approached him saying, "well they are in a better place." He said none of this edified him, but when one member came and just sat with him, that edified him.

1 Samuel 17:11 When Saul and all Israel heard those words of the Philistine, they were dismayed, and greatly afraid. In a like manner when a person is distressed or anxious, for some the last thing they want to hear is someone telling them to be daring. For some people it works, unfortunately for others it births other and or additional emotions, anger, resentment, or the initial emotion intensified.

David saw when we are weak the Lord is STRONG!

What does this teach us about David's faith?

He trust in the Lord

What does it teach us about Eliab's character?

I truly cannot say, I believe that anything said would not be a composite depiction. Character - The combination of qualities or features that distinguishes one person, group, or thing from another. A distinguishing feature or attribute, as of an individual, group, or category. A description of a person's attributes, traits, or abilities.

Yes Eliab was in the moment, he was angry, I would rather say his actions were a facet of his character. Perhaps I could say that sometimes I may react as Eliab does. My hopes are that when these acts are exposed that I follow the Lord's counsel I cannot answer the question subjectively, not enough observation for me.

Q1. (1 Samuel 17:26-30) Why is David so upset about Goliath's taunt?

I believe what made David upset was not the taunt from Goliath, but the fear shown by the men of Israel, displaying their lack of FAITH in Israel's God.

What is there to FEAR is what David's heartfelt, for David was a servant of the Most High God.

Eliab was a man walking in the flesh, for what he spoke of David obviously was what was in his own heart, anger, pride and wickedness - we will be known by OUR FRUITS. :mellow:

Q1. (1 Samuel 17:26-30) Why is David so upset about Goliath’s taunt? David is looking through the lens of God and wondering why noone else is.

Why is Eliab, David’s brother, so upset with David? Shame and jealousy. The youngest is the most courageous.

What does this teach us about David’s faith? It is solid and unshakeable.

What does it teach us about Eliab’s character? He has no character, only fear, resentment, and jealousy.

david being Gods child is angerd by the words spoken from a foolish man. David knows the power of the mighty King of heavens and doesnt understand why no-one has responded to his accusations. Davids brother on the other hand is upset like any older brother tends to be when a younger sibling acts out. Only on this case David is not acting out but standing up for Gods children.

the actions David takes in this chaper is one to follow. He not only shows us how to have courage in time of need but also to trust in our heavenly Father who will deliver us. Eliab's had much to learn from his younger brother even though he was older in age. Much to learn about faith and trust.

David is so upset about Goliath’s taunt because he is ridiculing the people of God and no one is coming forth to shut him up. Eliab, David's brother is so upset with David because David was asking questions about the giant and about the price the king has in place for anyone who kills the giant. He felt David was just poke nosing into a subject he did not have the right to. David’s faith at this time was fully dependent on God. On the other hand Eliab, though the elder brother, was jealous of his little brother's confidence that his faith in God would bring Goliath down.

Q1. (1 Samuel 17:26-30) Why is David so upset about Goliath’s taunt? Why is Eliab, David’s brother, so upset with David? What does this teach us about David’s faith? What does it teach us about Eliab’s character?

Goliath is ridiculing the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob, the God of Israel. David did not take it lightly.

David was young however God had been growing his faith for years by putting him in out of the box circumstances and by putting him in a place that was looked down on by other Israelis.

Eliab looked down on David as being young and a shephard. He had an arrogant character and did not depend on God but on his own strength (lot of good that did him).

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Goliath insults God so David feels offended.

Eliab is upset, because his brother's questions show he (Eliab) is afraid of the big man.

David on the other hand isn't afraid because he knows it's God's battle.

We learn that Eliab thinks in military terms, therefore is afraid, and that he isn't a nice person.

That's why God didn't choose him as a king, I guess.

David appears to be upset about Goliath's taunt because part of that taunt is mocking God and what he can do. Goliath is ranting, but this clearly bothers David. However, not as much as David's presence bother's his older brother Eliab.

In a previous chapter, Eliab was the brother who "appeared" to be the one God would anoint, but it was clearly David and now we woud see why. Eliab is upset with David because while the Israelites are quaking in their boots about Goliath, here comes David inquiring about the war when he should be tending sheep. Eliab tells David,

"Why have you come down here? And with whom did you leave those few sheep in the desert? I know how conceited you are and how wicked your heart is; you came down only to watch the battle." (17:28). This is clearly a sign of jealousy on Eliab's part. In a way the wickedness in him see David's true potential.

This is important because it teaches us that David had total reliance on what the Lord can do. he knew he was young, ruddy, and tend flocks- but his strength is found in the Lord. This section of 1 Samuel is so encouraging to me because I have a tendency to rely on my own strength and wonder why much in my life would crumble. When God's power is in the mix, I can slay many Goliath's in my iife.

David is so upset about Goliath’s taunt because he is ridiculing the people of God and no one is coming forth to shut him up. Eliab, David's brother is so upset with David because David was asking questions about the giant and about the price the king has in place for anyone who kills the giant. He felt David was just poke nosing into a subject he did not have the right to. David’s faith at this time was fully dependent on God. On the other hand Eliab, though the elder brother, was jealous of his little brother's confidence that his faith in God would bring Goliath down.

Yes. This is clearly why some families are broken as well. When one fully puts their trust in the Lord, others will see that and have a spiritual jealousy, instead of encouraging the person.

David is upset because Goliath is speaking against the army of God. He is not God-fearing and has not respect for God's people.Eliab is upset because David's courage reminds him of his own lack of courage. David's faith is based on God and not on himself. It is now swayed by the size of the problem-whatever the problem,he's trust in God is the steadfast. Eliab on the other hand has faith that is intimidated by large problems.He does not remember his God in time of trouble and he is upset about those who do. I think as believers many a times we forget to pick up our shield of faith when faced with daily challenges. Its easier to pull strength from ourselves than from God. When we do exercise our faith many around us even fellow christians sometimes do not understand it. It might make us appear overconfident and arrogant but we need to remind them that our confidence is stemming from the knowledge that with God all things are possible.

Q1. (1 Samuel 17:26-30)

Why is David so upset about Goliath's taunt?

What does it teach us about Eliab's character?

David is upset and disgusted about Goliath’s taunt; asking who is this uncircumcised Philistine to blaspheme the name of the God of Israel! Eliab, however, being David’s elder brother, was perhaps being protective over his youngest brother or even maybe disguising his own lack of courage. We read that David had experienced the power of God in his own life. So his faith was not a blind faith, he knew from first-hand experience that God could turn weakness into power. While caring for his father’s sheep, David had killed a lion and a bear, and he knew that the Lord could deliver him out of the hand of Goliath. I don’t think Eliab knew anything about God’s power and had tried to discourage David. God, however, knew Eliab’s heart for we read in 1 Samuel 16:7, “… for I have rejected him.”

Why is David upset about Goliath's taunts?

Because Goliath is taunting the armies of the living God. That was a direct insult to God's power and His very character as I AM. David was angry God had been insulted!

Why is Eliab, David's brother upset with David?

He was convicted that his "shepherd" brother had the courage to want to stand up to Goliath while he, the "warrior" brother was doing nothing! When people are convicted sometimes...they become angry at who or what convicts them.

That he was strong in faith! His main focus wasn't on what he "saw" but on the power of His living God!

What does this teach us of Eliab's faith?

Just the opposite! He was weak in faith. All he saw up to the point of David arriving was this huge giant that seemed as though he couldn't be defeated. He walked by sight! Even when David came and showed a proper response, he didn't support David or change his attitude, he became jealous and tried to tear him down!

Q1. (1 Samuel 17:26-30) Why is David so upset about Goliath’s taunt

If you are a child of God and heard or see someone sining immediately you will rebuke him / her. that's what David did

Why Eliab, David’s brother, so upset with David?

As the elder brother it was his responsibility to look after him

What does this teach us about David’s faith?

In life you must have a testimony. You must hold fast to the word and act upon it.

What does it teach us about Eliab’s character?

Eliab he was just an ordinary christian who just follow other christians no faith and no believe

Q1. (1 Samuel 17:26-30) Why is David so upset about Goliath's taunt? Why is Eliab, David's brother, so upset with David? What does this teach us about David's faith? What does it teach us about Eliab's character?

1. David Upset about Goliath

David is upset because he considers the armies of Israel to be the armies of the Lord that Goliath the philistine is insulting and challenging. David has the people and his brothers welfare in mind. David's concern is not a personal motive of achievement and ambition only.

2. Eliab upset with David

Eliab is upset because he has misunderstood David's intentions for coming to the battle front. Eliab overheard David speak to the men as to what was to be done to the man that would kill Goliath the philistine. He thought he came to watch the fight in the battle out of pride and mischief leaving the floak uncared for. Eliab did not count David being his youngest brother as a man to fight in the battle.

3. David's Faith

David did not walk by sight and his character fulfils (Mark 11:22-24)

David was not afraid, despite being young. David knew he was not alone and he went in the name of the LORD. He had a testimony of the LORD delivering him from the lion and bear which he slew in the past. He knew that he had extra ordinary empowerment from the LORD. David knew that the LORD was the one to fight for him and not himself. He therefore was confident that the LORD would deliver Goliath into his hand.

4. Eliab's Character

Eliab had no faith like David. He feared for David and even hmself, when Goliath threatened them they were dismayed and afraid to confront Goliath. he saw danger and did not look to the God of Israel.

Q1. (1 Samuel 17:26-30)

Why is David so upset about Goliath’s taunt?

David is so upset about Goliath's taunt because he saw Goliath as diminishing the army of Israel, being God's nation.

Why is Eliab, David’s brother, so upset with David?

Eliab, David's brother, was so upset with David because he saw this as a challenge, being older than David but not having courage to fight Goliath.

This teaches us that, David had great faith in God and he believes that no one can challenge the army of God.

This teaches us that, Eliab was jelousy of his younger brother's,David's, courage.

David is upset at the fact that someone dares to insult God and his people the way that Goliath was doing. Goliath had no respect for the living God and even less for the Israelites who were God's chosen peopel. Eliab did not want others around him to think or see that his little brother was braver than him and that he too was afraid of Goliath. This part of the story shows us how much faith in God's deliverance from the Philistines was at hand and that anyone who puts his faith in God will have the victory. This also shows us that God was right in choosing David over his brother because Eliab was a follower not a leader.

Q1. (1 Samuel 17:26-30) Why is David so upset about Goliath’s taunt?

I think it's because of David's love relationship with the Lord, and his trust and faith. He KNEW the Lord, and I believe wanted to silence the ignorant, evil enemy of God. I also think some of his anger was directed at the impotent, cowering King Saul and his army who had been intimidated into paralysis by this loud mouthed giant.

I think Eliab was embarrassed by his own fear and impotence, and that this young "upstart" little brother, whom he disdained as a useless shepherd, had the nerve to speak up with eagerness and courage to trust His God to do battle on their behalf.

David's faith was in His God, not in his own ability. He'd experienced God's strength in using him to kill a lion and a bear who were attacking his father's sheep, and he saw Goliath as another "gnat" to be faced and conquered, in the power and might of His God, once again using his sling and stones.

Eliab was a coward (as was the rest of the army, including Saul!). He was waiting for "orders" which didn't come. Because of his own insecurity and pride, he chose to taunt, shame and humiliate his own brave little brother, instead of where it should have been directed...attacking the enemy of Israel. The fact that he attacked David in front of the men further demonstrates his lack of character.

Q1. (1 Samuel 17:26-30) Why is David so upset about Goliath’s taunt?

David didn't like that Goliath was taunting the army of God.

I think Eliab had seen his brother David in action before when he would come home talking about killing the bear and the lion while he was watching the sheep. Eliab might have felt jealous of his brother for his courage and faith.

As small and young as David is it shows a tremendous amount of faith in God to deliver Goliath into his hand

Eliab did not have much faith in God only in his own abilities.

Because he is insulting the family of Isreal. When you insult one of the children of

God you insult us all. When people speak about our Lord and Savior or any child of God we should be the same why David was, Vexed in our spirit. Yes they were scared, but that is something God will deal with not an uncircumcised philistine! Is there no one who will stand up for the armies of Isreal in the name the living God by trusting God.

Because his brother or any of the man forgot how awesome their God is! He shamed him.

So instead of saying David you know something your right, he chose to do what the uncircumcised was doing to them. But we know that God will use anyone who has a willing heart.

David knew it wasn't what it looked like and he had faith in God. He had no doubt that God would be Victories. David showed me that if you stand in the name of the Lord that the battle is not mine but His!

That we all have been there, before the relationship and it takes getting to know God in order to trust God. David had establish a relationship

Because he is insulting the family of Isreal. When you insult one of the children of

God you insult us all. When people speak about our Lord and Savior or any child of God we should be the same why David was, Vexed in our spirit. Yes they were scared, but that is something God will deal with not an uncircumcised philistine! Is there no one who will stand up for the armies of Isreal in the name the living God by trusting God.

Because his brother or any of the man forgot how awesome their God is! He shamed him.

So instead of saying David you know something your right, he chose to do what the uncircumcised was doing to them. But we know that God will use anyone who has a willing heart.

David knew it wasn't what it looked like and he had faith in God. He had no doubt that God would be Victories. David showed me that if you stand in the name of the Lord that the battle is not mine but His!

That we all have been there, before the relationship and it takes getting to know God in order to trust God. David had establish a relationship

Why is David so upset about Goliath's taunt? When David hears Goliath ranting and raving he was upset, David felt Goliath was trying to disgrace the Israel people and disrespect God. David knew the type of God they served and how God had delivered them out of many battles before, so how dare this uncircumcised man threaten them. Why is Eliab, David's brother, so upset with David? Eliab was upset with his brother David because he felt David was out of place. Eliab felt he did not belong down there with the rest of soldiers because he was just a boy. Eliab felt he should have done his normal task of just dropping off the food and going back home to tend to the sheep. What does this teach us about David's faith? David had strong faith in God and David knew that God will deliver the enemy over to him, just as he did when he was shepherding over the sheep. He killed a lion and bear. What does it teach us about Eliab's character? Eliab has lack of confident and lack faith in himself and his brother.