JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1 Samuel 18:13-16). Why does Saul send David into battle? What is the result? To what does the narrator attribute David’s success?

Saul send David into battle to get him away from him and to put him in harm's way. Saul hoped that David would be killed in the battle. David was succesful in the battle. David's success is attributed to the fact that the LORD was with him.

• 2 weeks later...

Before I get into today's first question, I take issue with Dr. Wilson's portrayal of the "modern homosexual movement" portraying "David and Jonathan as homosexual lovers." I find that to be a rather large and offensive generalization. I am gay. I neither portray David and Jonathan as lovers, nor deny that the possibility exists.

The same Hebrew word used for Jonathan and David's binding love is used to describe Saul's youngest daughter's feeling of being "in love" with David. Rather than having all forms of love grouped under the same semantical umbrella (love), speakers and writers of both Biblican Hebrew and Biblical Greek use very specific words to describe very specific forms of love. So, to say that the Hebrew word for Jonathan's love does not mean the same as Michal's love -- even though the same (very specific) word is used -- is disingenious to each of them.

Do I know of Moses' commands to those in the Levitical priesthood, whose most holy duties included propegation of the Hebrew peoples and culture? Most certainly. And yet, there are many of those laws that, if taken up by everyone as seriously as the one about which we most hear, would find many of us targets of a few well-thrown stones.

Do I know of Paul's admonishment? Of course. If I were Paul, encountering older men taking sexual advantage of young boys (remember, men were men at 13), abusing them and throwing them away when they became too old or too much of a nuisance, I might say the same things as Paul did. At that time, Paul had never seen a covenantal, consensual, and loving relationship between two equal, same-gendered people. It was and is an open facet of Greek culture. In Hebrew and Roman culture, covenantal love between two people of the same gender was more hidden and subtle; the abusiveness that Paul saw was what Paul was speaking out against. Anthropology of a people is a very good thing to know. (By the way, Paul also advised singlehood for apostles. What in the world would happen if every apostle alive today decided to be as single as a monk or nun? Just sayin' . . . )

I take Canon very seriously and I understand that there are parts that I may never understand. This is why I took and excelled in master's level Biblical Hebrew and Biblical Greek. People like me, who are Christian gay human beings, are not trying use the Bible to justify what the Bible clearly condemns." Perhaps our minds are just a bit more open to the rest of the story -- translations, archaeologies, and anthropologies that add more depth than the Pontiff declared important over 450 years ago. A lot has changed since then. Thank God that our ability to wonder and read and understand the very special mechanics of ancient languages remains, for there is much that gets lost in translation.

In translating Biblical Hebrew's exacting and specific language mechanics, I do not have to try to use the Bible to justify anything. The bible stands on its own merit. To deny that there are parts that conflict, parts that have incomplete stories, words that have many meanings -- and even words that have the same meanings each time they're used -- to deny these things denies each person the opportunity to read and understand what God's Words say to each of us. God is still speaking. He did not give us the ability to study and translate text just so that we can let these gifts lie dormant and unused.

Onto the questions:

Saul sent David into battle so that David could lose. The harder the battle, theoretically, the closer David came to death. Saul wasn't counting on both his son and his youngest daughter to love David at all, much less, with the same ʾāhab . What I find interesting is that Saul didn't seem to have nearly as much trouble dealing with Jonathan's ʾāhab as he did with Michal's. As a result of his trying to put David in harm's -- and death's -- way, his jealousy and inabilty to just be grateful that David was on his side, David prevailed in battle. Saul was concentrating so hard on getting David away from Michal, putting David into (previously-thought) impossible situations, that he refused to see that David was an asset, not a liability. The writer seems to believe that David's success comes from the Lord being on David's side. I, too, believe that. I believe that God was on Saul's side, also. He sent David, after all. Saul was just too blind to see God's blessing, in the form of David.

Q1. (1 Samuel 18:13-16). Why does Saul send David into battle? What is the result? To what does the narrator attribute David's success?

Saul sent David into battle for two reasons: To get him out of his palace as he was so jealous of him for his rising popularity which caused him (Saul) to think that he woulld soon loose his kindom to David; and also, he feard him beacuse the Lord was with him.

Secondly, he wanted David to be killed in battle.

God- David success in everything he did was beacuse God was with him.

Saul sends David into battle, more so for his own sanity. From the few verses available in 1Sam. 18:13-16, it appears Saul just wanted him gone. When I go back further in the readings I see that perhaps he wanted to test David, watch him fail or perish.

The result us that David, being a warrior of God, had great success leading the thousands of men Saul put him in charge over.

David gives all praises to God for his successes.

Q1. (1 Samuel 18:13-16). Why does Saul send David into battle? What is the result? To what does the narrator attribute David's success?

Saul probably can't stand the sight of David so he sends him far away to get him out of his sight and also hoping that he will die in battle saving Saul the job of getting rid of David later.

David excelled and gained more popularity than Saul ( I am sure many could see though Saul. He obviously did not give David a plush job which would have been normal for someone who a ruling monarch wanted to favor.)

The glory belongs to the Lord as does the battle. As the praise song says "in heavenly armour we enter the land, the battle belongs to the Lord".

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q1. (1 Samuel 18:13-16). Why does Saul send David into battle?

That was kind of eerie to think about! The same reason David later sent Bathsheba's husband Uriah into the front lines...the likelihood of being killed. Saul was jealous of David's fame from his success in defeating the Philistines and the women's dancing and singing praise about David made Saul angry, as in his mind he was diminished as King and military commander. ("What more can he have but the kingdom?") Additionally, Saul was afraid of David because he knew the Lord had departed from him and was with David. v 12.

What is the result?

David acted wisely in all his ways and succeeded. (When Saul saw how capable and successful David was, he stood in awe of him.) v 14,15.

To what does the narrator attribute David’s success?

V.12, 14: The Lord was with him.

(1 Samuel 18:13-16). Why does Saul send David into battle?

So that he would be killed.

David's popularity stirred up great jealousy within Saul, he was also afraid of David. Removing David from his court to the battlefield accomplished David being out of his sight, secondly it presented the possibility that he could be killed. Saul was gratified by sending David (into the fray), into battle. Sending David into battle resulted in more success and more fame for David. David as some would say had the Midas touch, everything he put his hands to was successful and people were more and more drawn to him.

Although David was out of Saul's physical sight, he was not out of his mind. Often we believe are likewise as it relates to problems, that is we sometimes attempt to ignore a problem or situation as well. Some of us place a table cloth over the white elephant, perhaps even place flower for to enhancement, and that may give a perceived favorable appearance. Nonetheless the elephant is still present, and still as significant as it was. Often when we do not turn things over to the Lord. Saul was handling the problem (envy / jealousy / suspicion / being afraid), his problem in his own way, with his own strength. he did not discern that the battle was not against flesh and blood, nor did he turn to the Lord.

Goliath wasn't the only giant that Saul faced, there are two other giants according to chapter 18. Saul eyed David, most translations use the word eyed, some translations and paraphrases use "jealous eye." Some interpret that Saul became over suspicion, regardless of the interpretation, Saul did not look upon David in a favorable manner, nor in a godly / spiritual way. The other giant Saul faced was fear, the word afraid is mentioned repeatedly. It wasn't that he was afraid of David, as in David physically harming him. He was afraid believing that David was causing him to shrink.

1 Samuel 18: 12 the latter part reads "because the LORD was with him, and was departed from Saul". The Lord is ever available, always available, however He was not with Saul, (in my opinion because Saul' mind was in a reprobate state, he would not seek the Lord), Saul faced these giants in his own strength. Instead of seeking the Lord, instead of turning the situation / problem over to the Lord, Saul devised plans to handle the situation in ways that would not benefit.

I wonder if this experience, it's likeness prompt David to send Uriah to the front of the battle. David made many mistakes (he sinned as king on a number of occasions as well), but the Scriptures also identify that he turned unto the Lord.

What is the result?

Therefore Saul removed him from him, and made him his captain over a thousand; and he went out and came in before the people. And David behaved himself wisely in all his ways; and the LORD was with him. Wherefore when Saul saw that he behaved himself very wisely, he was afraid of him. But all Israel and Judah loved David, because he went out and came in before them.

The result as it relates to Saul, his elaborate plan didn't yeild his intended desire and his downward spiral (spiritually, emotionally and mentally) continued to descend.

The result as it relates to Davis, his leadership, decision making and management skills proved to be wise. Each campaign was successful. David had great success in all that he did, he grew in stature more and more, and people became more and more fond of him. Rather than being killed in battle, David proves to be both a powerful warrior and a dynamic leader of men.

To what does the narrator attribute David's success?

Because the LORD was with him!

Why does Saul send David into battle? He has already tried to kill David, but can't do it, you can't kill God'd anointed, but Saul has a very bad anger problem that he brought on himself, so he sends David into battle among the worst fighting to let someone else kill him, the whole motive was to get rid of David.

What was the result? It all backfired and the people knew it they were singing Saul killed his thousands and David his ten thousands, you and I both know that any king that was more noticed than himself would be very angry. It really does not matter where you put the anointed person God will make the best out of any situation.

To what does the narrator attribute Davids success too? The Lord was with David, and David was full of the spirit of God, that is something you cannot fight, no matter who you are. David was a man after God's heart. That has been my goal these past two years let nothing come out of me but God. Fill me so full of the Holy Ghost that nothing else can come in. Since I started that my whole life has made a 360 degree turn around. People have to see God in you!!!!!

Saul sent David into battle in the hope that the enemy would kill him. That would solve all Saul's problems in one fell swoop.

What is the result?

Instead of falling to the sword, David achieves great success and is always victorious. He also deserves and receives the respect and admiration of the army he leads.

David's success is directly attributed to Divine help. God is making David successful in all he does. We need to understand here that God is laying the first foundations for the Messianic Kingdom by establishing David as the archetypal leader of Israel.

Generals and Officers were appointed by the King, so when Saul saw any strong or valiant man, he took him unto him and David were all of these.

David went where ever Saul sent him and was proven to be faithful and wise, so Saul set him over the men of war (V5)

David was successful in all he did, therefore Saul became very angry when he saw the people and even his own servants giving high praise to David, fearing the people would want David to be their king, and we see the spirit of anger, jealousy, and deceit fill Saul's heart, knowing that "deceit is in the heart of them that imagine evil" as he tried to kill David.

The reason Saul sent David into battle is because he feared David seeing the LORD was with him and had departed from Saul; therefore because he could not kill David he would outwardly appear to please the people and make David General over a thousand, making the odds even greater as he went out and came in that David might be slain by the enemy.

What is the result?

David succeeded in all he did and he received praise from all of Israel and of Judah, for they loved David.

Success is attributed to David because David's heart was for God; therefore the LORD was with David bringing success in all David did. :)

Why does Saul send David into battle? What is the result? To what does the narrator attribute David’s success?

Saul was jealous of David. David's charisma and military prowess made him a poular man. Saul was not only jealous but felt threatened. He sent David away from him and out of his court because he could stand the sight of his confident young man who had people singing praises about him, and he was hoping that by sending David to battle, David will be killed. However, Saul's evil plan was thwarted. David worshipped Yahweh. David had success upon success because God was with him.

To get him out of his palace as he was so jealous of him for his rising popularity which caused him (Saul) to think that he would soon lose his kingdom to David; and also, he feared him because the Lord was with him.

The glory belongs to the Lord as does the battle.

David was a man after God's heart. That has been my goal . Whatever comes out of me must be from GOD. Holy Spirit must fill me .Since I started that my whole life after being a prodigal son and made complete a 360 degree turn. I want people to see Jesus Christ in me as I move around in Cairo.

Q1. (1 Samuel 18:13-16). Why does Saul send David into battle? He is in conflict; Jealousy,contempt, and fear of losing his kingdom. He wants David dead but can't justify killing him. He is counting on David dying and not having to accept responsibility for it.

What is the result? God was with David and not only did David prevail, he gained more respect from the people.

To what does the narrator attribute David’s success? God was with David.

Why does Saul send David into battle? After David victory with the Philistine he became very popular with the people and his troops trusted him. Saul was very jealous of David and wanted him gone and/or dead. Saul thought of a plan to get rid of David by promoting him Captain which, mean David would be leader in the battles and, Saul hope he would be killed during these battle. What is the result? David did not fall to the sword during these battes, God protected him and, David proved he was a great warrior and leader to his troops. To what does the narrator attribute David's success? “because the Lord was with him” David is God's anointed. Remember when you are in His will that no weapon formed against you shall prosper, they will try but they will be defeated.

Saul really sent David to battle to get him killed. Jealous will cause one to do crazy things. When we think we are hurting someone, God use it for our good. David was a great leader. God was with David. He was not killed in battle and they loved and respected him as a leader. When God is with and for us is more than the world against us. Praise God everybody. God is good.

Q1. (1 Samuel 18:13-16).

Why does Saul send David into battle?

What is the result?

Saul was so jealous of David that he wanted to get rid of him. He wanted him out of the king’s court, and if possible, the best result would be for David to die in battle. We see that this was the same method David later used on Uriah the Hittite. So he promoted David over a thousand soldiers, hoping that the Philistines would help him get rid of his rival. If David was killed in battle, it was the enemy's fault; and if he lost a battle but lived, his popularity would wane. Unfortunately for Saul his plan backfired. David proved to being an excellent soldier and a born leader, winning all his battles. We know the Lord was with David and the power of God was upon him. So, instead of eliminating David or diminishing his popularity, Saul's scheme only made him a greater hero to the people, and this increased Saul's fear of David all the more.

Q1. (1 Samuel 18:13-16). Why does Saul send David into battle? What is the result? To what does the narrator attribute David’s success?

Saul sent David into battle because he was jealous of him. He sent David away so he wouldn't be around Saul and with the hope that he would be killed in battle.

What was the result?

David had victory everywhere. He was very successful in his battles and as a leader. Many soldiers under him loved him. His popularity grew. Saul feared him.

David's success was because the Lord was with him.

* If God is for us, who can be against?

Q1. (1 Samuel 18:13-16).

Saul sent David to battle in order to get him away from his site and out of his court, and also to put him in a dangerous place with expectation that he will be killed.

What is the result?

The result is that, David proves to be both a powerful warrior and a leader of men. The men trust him and he leads them to victory. David has consistent success which brings him even greater publicity and adulation among the people.

The narrator attributes David's success to the fact that, the Lord was with David.

Saul sends David into battle in hopes that he would be killed fighting the Phillistines.

What is the result?

David keeps coming back victoriously and the men that he leads gain more and more respect for him

David's success comes from: I Samuel18:14 "In everything he did he had great success, becasue the Lord was with him."

Before I get into today's first question, I take issue with Dr. Wilson's portrayal of the "modern homosexual movement" portraying "David and Jonathan as homosexual lovers." I find that to be a rather large and offensive generalization. I am gay. I neither portray David and Jonathan as lovers, nor deny that the possibility exists.

The same Hebrew word used for Jonathan and David's binding love is used to describe Saul's youngest daughter's feeling of being "in love" with David. Rather than having all forms of love grouped under the same semantical umbrella (love), speakers and writers of both Biblican Hebrew and Biblical Greek use very specific words to describe very specific forms of love. So, to say that the Hebrew word for Jonathan's love does not mean the same as Michal's love -- even though the same (very specific) word is used -- is disingenious to each of them.

Do I know of Moses' commands to those in the Levitical priesthood, whose most holy duties included propegation of the Hebrew peoples and culture? Most certainly. And yet, there are many of those laws that, if taken up by everyone as seriously as the one about which we most hear, would find many of us targets of a few well-thrown stones.

Do I know of Paul's admonishment? Of course. If I were Paul, encountering older men taking sexual advantage of young boys (remember, men were men at 13), abusing them and throwing them away when they became too old or too much of a nuisance, I might say the same things as Paul did. At that time, Paul had never seen a covenantal, consensual, and loving relationship between two equal, same-gendered people. It was and is an open facet of Greek culture. In Hebrew and Roman culture, covenantal love between two people of the same gender was more hidden and subtle; the abusiveness that Paul saw was what Paul was speaking out against. Anthropology of a people is a very good thing to know. (By the way, Paul also advised singlehood for apostles. What in the world would happen if every apostle alive today decided to be as single as a monk or nun? Just sayin' . . . )

I take Canon very seriously and I understand that there are parts that I may never understand. This is why I took and excelled in master's level Biblical Hebrew and Biblical Greek. People like me, who are Christian gay human beings, are not trying use the Bible to justify what the Bible clearly condemns." Perhaps our minds are just a bit more open to the rest of the story -- translations, archaeologies, and anthropologies that add more depth than the Pontiff declared important over 450 years ago. A lot has changed since then. Thank God that our ability to wonder and read and understand the very special mechanics of ancient languages remains, for there is much that gets lost in translation.

In translating Biblical Hebrew's exacting and specific language mechanics, I do not have to try to use the Bible to justify anything. The bible stands on its own merit. To deny that there are parts that conflict, parts that have incomplete stories, words that have many meanings -- and even words that have the same meanings each time they're used -- to deny these things denies each person the opportunity to read and understand what God's Words say to each of us. God is still speaking. He did not give us the ability to study and translate text just so that we can let these gifts lie dormant and unused.

Onto the questions:

Saul sent David into battle so that David could lose. The harder the battle, theoretically, the closer David came to death. Saul wasn't counting on both his son and his youngest daughter to love David at all, much less, with the same ʾāhab . What I find interesting is that Saul didn't seem to have nearly as much trouble dealing with Jonathan's ʾāhab as he did with Michal's. As a result of his trying to put David in harm's -- and death's -- way, his jealousy and inabilty to just be grateful that David was on his side, David prevailed in battle. Saul was concentrating so hard on getting David away from Michal, putting David into (previously-thought) impossible situations, that he refused to see that David was an asset, not a liability. The writer seems to believe that David's success comes from the Lord being on David's side. I, too, believe that. I believe that God was on Saul's side, also. He sent David, after all. Saul was just too blind to see God's blessing, in the form of David.

Just curious, what do you call "sexual immorality?" I have relatives and friends who are homosexuals and I love them for who they are, but I do not condone their choice of sexuality. I do not think that God created women or men to have sexual relations with each other. According to Scripture, God created woman to be man's companion, I believe. Just curious to what a Christian gay person would say about this subject.

Saul sends David into battle because he hopes that he is killed.

What is the result?

The result is that he proves to be not just a good leader but a great warrior.

David's success is atributed to the fact that the Lord was with David.

Q1. (a) Why does Saul send David into battle?

Saul being afraid yet jealous at the same time needed David out of his way. Acknowledging the popularity of David and his strength, Saul thought it would be wise to send David out to battle. Not so much to have one more achivement or sucess under Davids belt but just to find relief from him.

(b)What is the result of Sauls decision?

• To have David gain victory once more.

©What is Davids success attributed to based on the narrator?

• Because the Lord was with him.

Q1. Saul sends David into battle to get him away from him because of the spirit that had come upon him gave him a dark heart, Saul did what most do when they allow the enemy to harden their hearts he allowed sin to control his actions instead of the love God had anointed him with in the begining. The thouht of David made Saul want him dead, not that he wanted the blood of David on his hands but he was being wrong by thinking if he were killed his blood wouldn't be on his hands. Sin is Sin.

B. The result is the same as with us, if God be with us who can be against us. It backfired. The Lord gave David great success in all he did. Saul was afraid, who wouldn.t be? How can a man fight against God's anointed. The evil spirit that came upon Saul had darkened his heart. Sometime we do the same thing when we think we can do things without God in the center of it.

C. The narrator shows that David moved in the Spirit of the Lord in all things, gained the respect of Saul before he allowed the spirit of jealous and a dark heart to come into him. His men loved him because they saw what the people of the world see in most christians the Spirit of God moving. Saul of all prople should have seen and believed because he walked with God at one time.