JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (1 Samuel 18:18-22) Which of the following is David’s chief motive for marrying Michal, in your opinion? Argue for the motivation that makes the most sense to you: (1) pride in his military prowess, (2) obedience to Saul’s desires, (3) love or desire for Michal, or (4) enjoyment in killing Philistines.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (1 Samuel 18:18-22) Which of the following is David’s chief motive for marrying Michal, in your opinion? Argue for the motivation that makes the most sense to you: (1) pride in his military prowess, (2) obedience to Saul’s desires, (3) love or desire for Michal, or (4) enjoyment in killing Philistines.

David’s chief motive for marrying Michal, in my opinion is number three (3). As any young man would, David was consumed with the attention that he received as a result of his successess in battles. His macho pride and military prowess played a hand in his asking for Michal in marriage. David was popular with the people and not so popular with Saul so I doubt that Saul's desires was a motive for him marrying Michal. David loved Michal and his wanting to marry her was genuine. He already knew that the throne would be his one day and must have wanted to have a link to Saul's and Johnathan's family.

(1 Samuel 18:18-22) Which of the following is David’s chief motive for marrying Michal, in your opinion? Argue for the motivation that makes the most sense to you: (1) pride in his military prowess, (2) obedience to Saul’s desires, (3) love or desire for Michal, or (4) enjoyment in killing Philistines.

I think the answers are 2 and 3. Obedience to his king and love or desire for Milcah.

None of those answers make sense to me. David's pride in his military prowess comes in the number of foreskins (ew.) that he brought back to Saul. I personally don't know of anyone who would want so badly to prove his military prowess that he would help his army cut off 200 mens' foreskins. David's pride in his military prowess grew with each victory on the battlefield. That wouldn't be a reason to marry Michal.

David was following God's dictates, much more than Saul's. Obedience to Saul's desires doesn't fit. If he were going to be obdient to Saul's desires, he would have married Merab. And since overwhelmingly most marriages were not based on love or desire, it is safe to say that his marriage to Michal -- was financially-based, at least in large part. A son-in-law fought for his wife's family, but still retained control of his own armies. That's guaranteed income. The son-in-law's armies became larger, and a good son-in-law commander like David would not find it difficult to earn a commission -- his own command -- within his father-in-law's ranks. It was like having two armies for the price of one.

David's armies grew. Larger armies for David = more victories. More victories = more spoils. More spoils = more money and stuff to bargain with. More bargaining power = greater self-sufficiency. Greater self-sufficiency = fewer alms-beggars. Fewer alms beggars = more money for taxes and buying stuff. Ultimately, David -- and to a smaller extent, society -- benefitted from David's marriage to Michal. Plus, he didn't have to come up with a dowry. No dowry = money saved. More money = . . .

David may have loved Michal, but I am having difficulty finding David speaking of it. David sang for Saul and to God. David taught Solomon to sing. Solomon was so good that the songs he wrote and sang to and of his first wife are the stuff of legend. David's soul and Saul songs are the stuff of legend. Why does there seem to be so few, if any, accounts of David writing or singing any songs about his wife?

I am also not persuaded that David just loved killing Philistines. David doesn't seem to be that bloodthirsty. I think it would be more accurate to say that David loved protecting his family and tribe. That was his initial intent in smiting Goliath. If that meant killing other Philistines who threatened David and his tribe, all the better or a necessary evil. Just killing them because he loved doing it? To love killing seems to go against God's admonishments about loving your neighbors, and not murdering them. That doesn't sound like something that would have been in David's heart, for David's heart was filled with love for God.

It makes most sense to say that David's reasons for marrying Michal were to get rich while protecting his tribe and continuing his lineage.

David chief motive for marring Michal because of his macho pride and his military prowess. The price is not financial, but military success. By marrying Michal he becomes the kings son in law which is an advantage he is close the the king I would imagine the king is proud to have a strong a powerful successful warrior who could protect and defend his kingdom if necessary. One who can as built successful army.

Which of the following is David’s chief motive for marrying Michal, in your opinion? Argue for the motivation that makes the most sense to you: (1) pride in his military prowess, (2) obedience to Saul’s desires, (3) love or desire for Michal, or (4) enjoyment in killing Philistines.

I think David's chief motive for marrying Michael is pride in his military prowess, and the fact that he will be son-in-law to the King. David knew that he was no match for Michal. He could even be considered unworth since his family had no status, titles or money. Thus, he was pleased that the dowry was not financial, but something which was achievable through his own hands. We can even say that David went overboard to prove his military prowess by doubling the number of foreskins presented to Saul. David could also have enjoyed killing the Philistines. He may have wanted them to continue to pay for the mockery the Israelites have suffered when Goliath was alive.

Q2. (1 Samuel 18:18-22) Which of the following is David's chief motive for marrying Michal, in your opinion?

Argue for the motivation that makes the most sense to you:

(1) pride in his military prowess, David is most motivated by achievement. He knows Saul wants him dead so pleasing him is impossible sense his jealousy will be intensified. Thus far, David has not indicated a strong attraction to Michal, and while the assignment is killing 100 Philistines; doubling the bounty is just doubling the achievement. It as about achievement.

(2) obedience to Saul's desires,

(3) love or desire for Michal, or

(4) enjoyment in killing Philistines.

Q2. (1 Samuel 18:18-22) Which of the following is David's chief motive for marrying Michal, in your opinion? Argue for the motivation that makes the most sense to you: (1) pride in his military prowess, (2) obedience to Saul's desires, (3) love or desire for Michal, or (4) enjoyment in killing Philistines.

David accepted Saul's challenge to fight and bring the foreskin of 100 Philistines so as to marry Michal because he probably was in love with her. After all he rejected a free offer to marry Saul's eldest daughter probably because he was not in love with her.

There could have also been some elements of pride in David because of the history his past military victories.

Q2. (1 Samuel 18:18-22) Which of the following is David's chief motive for marrying Michal, in your opinion? --- Argue for the motivation that makes the most sense to you:

(1) Pride in his military prowess

The chief motive of David WAS NOT pride in his military prowess, for David's pride was in the armies of the living God, the LORD of hosts, the God head of the armies of Israel.

(2) Obedience to Saul's desires.

The chief motive of David WAS NOT to be obedient to the desires of Saul, David's motivation was to please, be obedient to the desires of the God of Israel, and in so doing David was wise in all he did, he was wise to the schemes of Saul, of whom he knew lightly esteemed David.

(3) Love or desire for Michal.

David's motivation I believe WAS in part the love of Michal, besides her love he also had the respect and love of her brother Jonathon, and this pleased David well, to be the king's son in law.

(4) Enjoyment in killing Philistines.

I believe David's motivation WAS NOT because he enjoyed killing the Philistines, David was wise to the schemes of Saul back when he promised Merab his elder daughter, only if David would be valiant for "SAUL", and fight the LORD'S battle with the Philistines.

If David enjoyed killing the Philistines he would have done it then, but David in his wisdom knew this was not the LORD'S battle, it was that of Saul's.

Saul appealed to the flesh, thinking David's pride must be in "SELF" But in David's heart he gave all glory to the GOD of Israel; however, when Saul said there would be no dowry, but a hundred foreskins of the Philistines, enemies of Israel and a people who abhorred the God of Israel.

I believe this also WAS a great MOTIVATOR for David, with the reason being - "so that all would know there is a God in Israel".

AND SAUL SAW AND KNEW THAT THE LORD WAS WITH DAVID, AND THAT MICHAL SAUL'S DAUGHTER LOVED HIM. :)

The Bible says Michal was in love with David. We assume he was in love with her, but it may have been a one-sided relatioship. Michal's feelings may have been stronger than David's. We don't know. From reading the passage I get that David regarded becoming King Saul's son-in-law as important to him. He'd been annointed by Samuel as King of Israel and probabaly saw becoming Saul's son-in-law as a way of legitimizing his claim to the throne when the time came. David was content to wait until Saul died to become king.

We know from reading further along in 1 Samuel that David refused to kill Saul when he had opportunities to do so because he recognized that Saul had been appponted by God, even though Saul was out of favor with God. It wasn't David's right to kill Saul.

So in all fairness to the points above, I can't pinpoint any of the four motivations listed as David's prime motive.

He was a man of great faith in God and credited God with his military victories, so that rules out point 1.

I don't think obedience to Saul's desires was David's motivation either. He's already been annointed king by Samuel.

Love for Michal? I think becoming Saul's son-in-law was as equally high on David's agenda as his love for Michal. He was humble enough not to rush into marrying Saul's older daughter because of his station in life. He wanted to be seen to be doing the right thing.

Enjoyment in killing Philistines? David was no sadist. We must remember that he was carrying out God's will. Whether he recognized it so early on in his life we don't know but I think David was aware that God was directing his path even in the early days after his annointing.

With no Scripture to read and only prophets to tell him God's will, David was pretty much left to his own devices. God would have given David "impressions" in his spirit and we assume he also prophesied like Saul did when he was annointed. Perhaps David was given interpretation of his Holy Spirit-led prophecies. Reading the Psalms it's clear that David did have a pipeline to God's thoughts. But he still needed the prophet Nathan to convict him of his adultry later on.

I think David was trying to do things the right way in the eyes of Israel when he served Saul and won military victories.

Q2. (1 Samuel 18:18-22)

Which of the following is David's chief motive for marrying Michal, in your opinion?

Argue for the motivation that makes the most sense to you: (1) pride in his military prowess, (2) obedience to Saul's desires, (3) love or desire for Michal, or (4) enjoyment in killing Philistines.

By the process of elimination I have arrived at David’s most probable motivation for marrying Michal. I think we can eliminate obedience to Saul’s desires as a motive, as he had previously declined to marry Saul’s eldest daughter Merab. I don’t think David ever loved Michal, he was more of a womaniser having had at least 7 wives we know of. Also, many of David’s marriages were not out of love but were rather politically motivated. Besides we never read about David trying to get to know Michal. Being a man of God, I don’t think David enjoyed killing people just for the enjoyment thereof - even if they were Philistines. We also see this later when David has the opportunities to kill Saul he does not do it. So that leaves me with pride in his military prowess as the motive. By now he had been so successful in all his military campaigns and with this his popularity had increased tremendously. I’m sure he start feeling undue confidence in his own skills and accomplishments. Even his friendship with Saul’s son Jonathan could have given him a feeling of self-satisfaction - perhaps even boasting of his skills and powers, forgetting that all the honour and glory belongs to God alone.

I think David considered the Philistines enemies of the living God and they were at war with them so I think pride of a sense in his military prowess was one factor. How would it have been taken if he had sad no. Would it have looked as though David were afraid? or rejecting Saul's offer?. I don't know where feelings for Michal entered in if at all. I also think David had no problems with killing Philistines.

In 1 Samuel 18:26 it also mentions that David was pleased to become the Kings's son in law so although I don't consider obedience to Saul the way to put it he ,I believe, found it an honor to have that title. David was still a humble man and therefore didn't feel worthy to just marry into the family of royalty and he also had his pride which would have prevented it. Does that make sense? I just find that quite often there are different parts, thoughts, emotions which enter into a decision.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

It's hard to say since Michal seems to be the one who was in love with David. Mention of him falling for her is not there in the scripture. However, my gut tells me David married Michal out of pride for his military prowess. I notice how in 1 Samuel 18:26-27, David was pleased to become Saul's son in law only after Saul named his price for having Michal.

Wow! Hard question!

My first inclination was to say "obedience to Saul's desire" knowing that though David always served the Lord, he often did so by respecting Saul's position. There were times he could have killed Saul himself, but refused, because he saw Saul as rightful King until God removed him. (Chap 24:6-7) Did he ultimately marry Michal merely because it was a request by the King? I thought twice about embracing that as my answer and ruled that out because if that was the case, he would have married Saul's oldest daughter when that first request was put out. Both times, David's reply is that he is too unimportant and poor to be a relative of the King. I thought maybe that was a clue, but both times the price for the bride is low. The first time, he only has to remain in service to Saul and " fight the battles of the Lord." The second time, the price is "100 Philistine foreskins." With that, David is "pleased to become the King's son-in-law." I noted here, that he wasn't pleased to become "Michal's husband" and nowhere else is she mentioned, except to say SHE loved David, so I don't think love is the motive....but desire is another thing and David is known for letting desire take control of his life on other occasions! So, why did David agree specifically after the price of Philistine foreskins was set? The first offer for Saul's older daughter was at the price to "Serve me (Saul) faithfully and fight the battles of the Lord," but he didn't accept then. Only when the Philistines were involved did he accept and not only do the job, but he doubled the amount of foreskins to be brought back! Obviously, he had a lot of pride in his military prowess and put an exclamation point on what he could really do! But, did he enjoy killing Philistines? Going back to Goliath, I don't think to say David enjoyed killing "Philistines" is really correct, but to say David enjoyed killing "God's enemies" is. But, if this was to be considered a "chief" reason for David to marry, he would have married the oldest daughter when Saul offered her at the price of "Fighting the Lord's battles."

After considering all this, I believe that David merely succumbed to his own pride in his military prowess for the most part, but there were other factors contributing in his decision to marry Michal.

Q2. (1 Samuel 18:18-22)

Which of the following is David's chief motive for marrying Michal, in your opinion? Argue for the motivation that makes the most sense to you: (1) pride in his military prowess, (2) obedience to Saul's desires, (3) love or desire for Michal, or (4) enjoyment in killing Philistines.

In my opinion, David's chief motive for marrying Michal is ebedience to Saul's desires. David has noticed that, this is the second time King Saul has indicated desire for him to marry his daughter. While on the first time he had excuse i.e. being not having bridal gift to give to the King for his daughter, on the second time he does not have excuse. The condition given is totally under his control. Thus, afraid of dissappointing the King, he agrees to mary his daughter Michal.

Which of the following is David's chief motive for marrying Michal, in your opinion? I felt “ (2) obedience to Saul’s Desires” was David’s chief motive for marry Michal. Argue for the motivation that makes the most sense to you: David fear God and had high respect for Saul who was still king. David did not felt he or his family was worthy (rich) enough to be a son-in-law to the king, so he felt he had to earn the honor of being son-in-law to the king.

Q2. (1 Samuel 18:18-22) Which of the following is David’s chief motive for marrying Michal, in your opinion? Argue for the motivation that makes the most sense to you: (1) pride in his military prowess, (2) obedience to Saul’s desires, (4) enjoyment in killing Philistines.

(3) love or desire for Michal, V 20 swayed me: "Now Michal, Saul's daughter, LOVED David; and THEY told Saul, and it pleased him.They obviously had a relationship, to have spoken of love, so I think that is the main reason, but V 26 says "It pleased him well to become the King's son in law, so perhaps David had a 5th reason not mentioned....becoming a son in law just might cause Saul to "bury the hatchet", and there would be peace between he and Saul.

(1 Samuel 18:18-22) Which of the following is David's chief motive for marrying Michal, in your opinion? Argue for the motivation that makes the most sense to you: (1) pride in his military prowess, (2) obedience to Saul's desires, (3) love or desire for Michal, or (4) enjoyment in killing Philistines.

Defeating Goliath David was promised the kings daughter that had not happened. 1 Samuel 18:12-30 the offer to David of both daughters was pure attempts to manipulated David, in both instances Saul wanted to place David in harms way, by way of the Philistines.

Of the four choices given it is difficult to say, one could speculate on each and come up with a probable supporting belief. I just don’t know if any of the choices motivated David to marry Michal.

Verse 26 "It pleased him well to become the King's son in law”

If David had married the older daughter he would have ahd to come up with a dowry, one that he did not have. With the second daughter, the dowry payment was one that differed. The king does not desire any dowry but one hundred foreskins of the Philistines. It’s as if Saul isn't asking for much, but in actuality he is really asking for something far greater than a lot of money. He asks David to put his life in great jeopardy, and Saul dies this because he wants David dead!

I think the motive for David was the hope that by being Saul son-in-law, by him being a humble servant, Saul’s attitude towrds him would change.

David did not know Saul’s heart, things did not become better, they grew worse.

I believe that David also found Michal attractive. David would probably have been around her because of his involovement with his friend Jonathon. It seems like a lot of times we find an attraction fo someone because of our involvement with that person's brother or sister. David might have even wanted to please his boss, Saul too. He might have thought that maybe if I do twice as many foreskins then Saul would respect him. I do not think that David was so proud of his military prowess because he always believed that whatever victory he enjoyed came from the Lord. The only reason he killed Philistines was because of their pagan beliefs. He saw them as enemies of the Lord.

I believe that the chief motivation for David to want to marry Michal was somehow related to the honor of obeying Saul's desires in order to somehow gain the respect of Saul and undermine the latter's prejudice and hatred against David. It seems that David may have wanted to cause Saul to like him. By becoming his son-in-law, David was thus fostering a stronger bond between him and the king. Also David was trying to honor Jonathan's friendship and affection by doing all he could to gain the favor of Saul.

(1 Samuel 18:18-22) Which of the following is David’s chief motive for marrying Michal, in your opinion? Argue for the motivation that makes the most sense to you: (1) pride in his military prowess, (2) obedience to Saul’s desires, (3) love or desire for Michal, or (4) enjoyment in killing Philistines.

I think David's chief motive for marrying Michal it was obedience to Saul's desires. in verse 1 David and Jonathanbecame best friends. Jonathan thought as much of David as he did of himself. verse 3 Jonathan liked David so much that they promised to always be loyal friends.(this is the love that is was mentioned in the whole chapter) no other verse that mention David's love for Michal. the enemy is using everything to trap us, as this was the the trap for David he fell on it. (not because he loved her). David he was not a not a proud man. he was not in love with Michal and it was not enjoyment in killing Philistines. David was obedient

Q.2 Which of the following is David's chief motive for marrying Michal, (1)pride in his military prowess, (2) obedience to Saul's desires, (3) love or desire for Michal or (4) enjoyment in killing Philistines.

By reading the script it sounds more like David was pro-gaining the hand in marriage of Michal and would do whatever was requested of him to have her by his side. But then again there could be some pride in him when going in to battle. Not that he enjoyed killing but to prove that he was capable of a accomplishing what was asked of him and more.

I think "Commissioned" had some good arguments. I have to agree with Waldo. It never said David loved Michal, but that Michal loved David. Saul was trying to snare David again, but God used it to His advantage. It put him in the court as a son-in-law, preparing him again for kingship.