JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. (1 Samuel 19:18-24) What does it tell us about Saul’s faith that he pursues David even when he has sought the sanctuary of the prophet Samuel? Why do people prophesy when the Holy Spirit comes upon them? What is the relationship between this incident and the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2)?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (1 Samuel 19:18-24) What does it tell us about Saul’s faith that he pursues David even when he has sought the sanctuary of the prophet Samuel? Why do people prophesy when the Holy Spirit comes upon them? What is the relationship between this incident and the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2)?

It is apparent that Saul has lost his faith in God to keep him secured from his enemies and instead he satisfies his desires by following after David regardless of where he may be found. People prophesy when the Holy Spirit comes upon them, during that time are under the control of the Spirit of God who chooses to to use them as a vehicle to perform an act. One of the ways in which the Holy Spirit will use a person is by the gift of prophecy or a word of prophecy. The word of prophecy is the operation used on the Day of Pentecost.

• 2 weeks later...

God is the only True and Real Voice of Prophecy. Joel's prophecy revealing itself, of the day which we now as the Day of Pentecost, is a vivid example of one embodying God prophesying, for Joel's enduring prophecy took centuries to reach its fruition. I wonder whether speaking God's prophecies, like Joel, is the same as speaking God's Words in every language, like the apostles. Maybe they're woven together. People do many things when YHVH Spirit comes upon them. Effecting and affecting one's environment in mystery are common denominators in all ways of Spirit Manifest.

Saul seems to be forgetting a lot here. I'm going to go out on a limb and call it lost-his-mind. That helps me to believe that Saul can't really be stupid enough to think that chasing David into Samuel's house would have no affect on him and his armies. I would have stopped when my first soldiers started speaking in tongues. Saul had tremendous faith in himself. He forgot to place a tremendouser faith in God. I'll bet that right there at the end, Saul remembered just how effective and affective God can really be sometimes.

Q3. (1 Samuel 19:18-24) What does it tell us about Saul's faith that he pursues David even when he has sought the sanctuary of the prophet Samuel? The same insanity that got him dethroned in the first place. He has "situational" reverence and caters to his own world.

Why do people prophesy when the Holy Spirit comes upon them? The Holy Spirit is God' Spirit and will only do what God would have happen.

What is the relationship between this incident and the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2)? When the Holy Spirit came upon them they all began to prophesy in cloven tongues.

Q3. (1 Samuel 19:18-24) What does it tell us about Saul's faith that he pursues David even when he has sought the sanctuary of the prophet Samuel? Why do people prophesy when the Holy Spirit comes upon them? What is the relationship between this incident and the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2)?

Saul's fear that David would soon take his throne away drove him out of his mind as is seen in his madness when he pursued David up to the Lord's sanctuary even though he knew God was with David.

People prophesy when the Holy Spirit come upon them because at that time, the people are under the influence/ control of the Spirit.

The influence of the Holy Spirit upon people like Saul was just for a while. The influence of the Holy spirit at Pentacost was permanent. It came to stay and is available to us today.

1. That Saul lost his faith in God. His disobediance to God by trying to kill David instead of protecting him. He only cares about his own desires.

2. People prophesy when the Holy Spirit comes upon them, they are under the control of the Spirit of God.

On the day of Pentecost, all who were filled with the Holy Spirit spoken in tongues.

What does it tell us about Saul's faith that he pursues David even when he has sought the sanctuary of the prophet Samuel?

Saul had no faith. He was so bent on destroying David that even when the Spirit of God came upon him, he still rebelled against God. He was not afraid to go against God because his anger and hatred for David possessed him.

Why do people prophesy when the Holy Spirit comes upon them?

The Holy Spirit takes over and speak through these people. It is a mysterious activity where people come under the control of the Holy Spirit.

What is the relationship between this incident and the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2)?

On both occasions, when the Holy Spirit came upon the people, they prophecied.

Even Saul still believes in the power of the Lord but will continue to pursue David because David has a Spirit on him also. When I think of the Holy Spirit, I am reminded of Romans 8:26-" The Spirit helps us in our weakness. We not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself will intercede for us..." So when the Holy Spirit falls it speaks truths.

The relationship between this and Acts 2 regarding the Holy Spirit, is that the "tongues of fire came and settled on each"(Acts 2:3) and many began speak in their own language- but the shining factor is that God had visited each and every one.

Q3. (1 Samuel 19:18-24) What does it tell us about Saul's faith that he pursues David even when he has sought the sanctuary of the prophet Samuel?

Rebellion is the same as witchcraft, Saul continued to rebel against God, his heart was bitter and full of hatred, he was blind to the fact that it wasn't David he should have feared, it was God.

Saul's heart did not have respect for God or his laws, as we recall how he took on himself the role of priesthood and offered the "burnt offering", disobeying the law of Moses and the instructions of God's prophet, so this lack of "faith" and "respect" for God continued, as Saul openly showed he did NOT FEAR GOD.

Why do these people prophesy when the Holy Spirit comes upon them?

The Holy Spirit is all powerful as we give Praise to the Almighty God, these people were of one accord prophesying and giving praise to God - What Satan means to Harm, God can turn to good, that’s what He did here.

The Spirit came upon Saul, not because of his righteousness, but in order to thwart Saul's evil plans to kill God's anointed, God's ways are not our ways.

PROPHESYING IS ALSO A SIGN, God is greater than he that is in the world. We see Saul prophesying and naked (meaning total or partial) a sign of being exiled into captivity as we see in Isaiah 20:2-3

That is what happened to Saul, he was taken captive by God, thwarting the evil plans of Saul, and David fled from Naioth in Ramah.

What is the relationship between this incident and the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2)?

The Holy Spirit came upon those who were obedient and came to the Festival of Pentecost and they all spoke in tongues the wonderful works of God, giving praise to God for His mighty works, the Spirit can be an all powerful source in our lives as we offer ourselves up to God in praise. :)

Q3. (1 Samuel 19:18-24) What does it tell us about Saul's faith that he pursues David even when he has sought the sanctuary of the prophet Samuel?

Rebellion is the same as witchcraft, Saul continued to rebel against God, his heart was bitter and full of hatred, he was blind to the fact that it wasn't David he should have feared, it was God.

Saul's heart did not have respect for God or his laws, as we recall how he took on himself the role of priesthood and offered the "burnt offering", disobeying the law of Moses and the instructions of God's prophet, so this lack of "faith" and "respect" for God continued, as Saul openly showed he did NOT FEAR GOD.

Why do these people prophesy when the Holy Spirit comes upon them?

The Holy Spirit is all powerful as we give Praise to the Almighty God, these people were of one accord prophesying and giving praise to God - What Satan means to Harm, God can turn to good, that’s what He did here.

The Spirit came upon Saul, not because of his righteousness, but in order to thwart Saul's evil plans to kill God's anointed, God's ways are not our ways.

PROPHESYING IS ALSO A SIGN, God is greater than he that is in the world. We see Saul prophesying and naked (meaning total or partial) A SIGN of being exiled into captivity as we see in Isaiah 20:2-3

That is what happened to Saul, he was taken captive by God, thwarting the evil plans of Saul, and David fled from Naioth in Ramah.

The Holy Spirit came upon those who were obedient and came to the Festival of Pentecost it Also WAS A SIGN as they all spoke in tongues the wonderful works of God, giving praise to God for His mighty works, the Spirit can be an all powerful source in our lives as we offer ourselves up to God in praise. :)

Q3. (1 Samuel 19:18-24) What does it tell us about Saul’s faith that he pursues David even when he has sought the sanctuary of the prophet Samuel?

It tells me that Saul has pretty much lost his faith in God altogether. Even after God withdrew His Holy Spirit from Saul he still tried to please God in his own fumbling way. Now he's just clinging to power for selfish reasons.

Well, they don't always. The references we see in the New Testament to people receiving the Holy Spirit and immediately prophesying, or speaking in strange tongues, was a sign to all that they were now among God's people. God had accepted them. In those days it was seen as a sign of God's approval, that they had in fact received the Holy Spirit.

In Old Testament times the data is a bit more vague. We know that the prophets were a peculiar bunch. Often their actions were pretty bizarre. God was using them to convey his message to the people of Israel. He would take conrol of them and they'd do things completely under the influence of the Holy Spirit.

In our study of Saul persuing David right to Samuel's door we see God taking control of firstly Saul's men and making them speak in tongues, then even Saul himself. This was not a Spirit-led prophecying but a sign from God that He was not going to let anyone, including Saul, harm David. God chose this highly unusual way of getting his message across to make it abundantly clear that David was his annointed King-to-be. I think this method had more impact than if God had just struck Saul's men down.

None whatsoever! The Day of Pentecost was the ushering in of the Holy Spirit into the lives of the believers. This incident with Saul was a different thing altogether. It was God intervening to save David. Saul's men didn't become Christians. After that incident they probably just went home.

Q3. (1 Samuel 19:18-24) What does it tell us about Saul’s faith that he pursues David even when he has sought the sanctuary of the prophet Samuel?

I don't see faith at all....just arrogant self absorption, and rebellion against God's purposes and God's chosen man to replace him as King.

The Holy Spirit's Presence is so powerful that the person speaks what is given him/her. When He has given me a prophecy, the words have just come out of my mouth, and there is a peace...no awareness ahead of time that I'm going to speak or of what to say, and I'm aware that He is in control, and there is never any question about Who is the author of the message....but it has always been a word in due season, and on time.

In both incidents the Holy Spirit gave utterance through the individuals who were in His manifest Presence. The purpose is always to bring Glory to God. In this situation I believe the Lord was demonstrating to Saul and his messengers, and reaffirming to Samuel and to David, that God is Sovereign, He brings down one and raises up another, and Saul's reign was over even though he was still wearing the crown.

(1 Samuel 19:18-24) What does it tell us about Saul’s faith that he pursues David even when he has sought the sanctuary of the prophet Samuel?

Since s sancturary is considered a sacred / holy place, Saul seeking to something according to his will and not the Will of God implies that he continues to walk in deliberate disobedience. He walking accoring to his (Saul’s) flesh. It shows that he was not honoring God,nor was it his intent when he came to the Sancturary. I cnnot say that he did not believe that God was, but I can say that the Scriptures clearly show that he did not allow God to be Lord over him. Did he believe that God was, I believe that he did. Did he adhere to God and or reverence Him, no! Sauld was blinded by his passions, His belief / faith did not demonstrate that he loved the Lord, he did not yeild and become obedient.

As it was for Saul so it is for many of us at instances. Sometimes we have something before our eyes that we desire so much that our ears are not receptive to the Lords voice. We may or my not be lead by anger or hatred, nonetheless anything that we fixate beofore our eyes is just as deadly. I thank the Lord for His mercy, and His grace, I as well pray that I repent with a godly repentance when I am aware that I am not in His Will.

When the Holy Spirit comes upon a person, if they are under the influence of the Holy Spirit they will do as the Holy Spirit guides. God will be glorified, and His Will will be done, the measure / medium of prophecy He deems necessary He will use.

Prophesying is not always speaking in an unknown tongue. Ezikiel 13:2, 34:2, Micah 2:6 etc…; nor it is always predicting something in the future nor is it always speaking a Word / giving a message under divine inspiration, it could one or the other, or it could be all three.

Prophesy - To reveal by divine inspiration. To predict with certainty as if by divine inspiration. To prefigure; foreshow.

v.intr. - To reveal the will or message of God. To predict the future as if by divine inspiration. To speak as a prophet.

I do believe that Sameul and those in his presence where in an atmosphere of worship and devotion to God and that the Spirit of God was upon them. As the messengers came forth The Spirit of God also came upon them.

These men on three occasion nor was Saul seeking to serve / worship the Lord. I believe the Lord allowed His Spirit to come upon them as a way of protecting David, changing their minds intent. They were an instrument for Saul, as the Spirit work on them they became an instrument unto God. They went back and told Saul three times what occurred, however he did not hear thus said the Lord, you will not harm David, nor will you seize him! In directly the Lord was saying turn unto Saul for you are heavy laden, I will give you rest. Place your mind upon me so that you can have peace. Saul didn't get the message, his heart / mind was like that of Pharaoh when the Hebrews' were near Exodus. Frustrated / infuriated Saul pursues David himself, he also prophesies in the presence of Samuel and the prophets. Not only does he prophesy, he also stripped off his clothes. Saul had received an indirect message from God second hand from three sets of messengers, I believe this was God’s way of giving it to he first hand, you will not harm not capture My servant David. You should reverence Me. I believe his stripping down becoming naked was symbolic saying that he would be humbled. Christ was naked upon the cross, He was not stark naked, but exposed. Saul in his own will did not humble himself before God prior to entering the sanctuary, so at this moment God through the use of His Spirit use a measure whereby Saul humbled himself.

Taking off his royal attire, I believe also was symbolic that the kingdom he valued so much would not remain under his stewardship, he would not continue to captain the people.

I can not say that there is,or should I say I'm not sure, what I can say in both instances the occurance and the aftermath were as Corrie Ten Boone say, "God incidences!" In both cases people were used by God, in both cases after the Holy Spirit came upon them they shared what the Lord desired them to.

Q3. (1 Samuel 19:18-24)

What does it tell us about Saul's faith that he pursues David even when he has sought the sanctuary of the prophet Samuel?

Saul had become a pathetic figure, the Spirit of the Lord had left him and was replaced by an evil spirit that tormented him. He was by now unstable and only motivated by jealousy and by this evil spirit to kill David – he was by now not fit to be king. Saul sent three different groups of soldiers to capture David. God had, however, protected David by sending the Holy Spirit to turn these soldiers into worshippers. So instead of capturing David when they arrived at the place where the prophets had assembled, they were immediately possessed by the Spirit and began to praise and worship God. Even when Saul arrived he was met by the Spirit of God and made to praise the Lord. We have seen in the OT and in the ministry of Jesus the Holy Spirit had been active prior to Pentecost. In this case prophesying involved praising the Lord, and was only temporary, unlike in Acts 2 when the Holy Spirit would come to dwell permanently in people. The Spirit could not have come sooner, for it was God’s plan that Jesus die first, then be raised from the dead, and return to heaven before the Holy Spirit could be given.

1 Samuel 19:18-24) What does it tell us about Saul’s faith that he pursues David even when he has sought the sanctuary of the prophet Samuel?

Even though Saul was rebellious, disobedient he knew how to be in the presence of God.

1Samuel 10 V 6 The Spirit of the Lord will suddenly take control of you. You’ll become a different person and start prophesying right along with them

It is the same

(1 Samuel 19:18-24) What does it tell us about Saul’s faith that he pursues David even when he has sought the sanctuary of the prophet Samuel?

Saul, His faithe was not in line with loving God.

Saul did not asscess his love for God, sometime I do not either. God tells those that serve Him to love Him in completeness (Mark 12:30). Unfortunately my (our) love is usually lukewarm. Martin Luther became so frustrated with the holiness ofGod vis-à-vis his own unholiness that he confesssed, “Love God? Sometimes I hate Him.” Many Christians would not confess in this manner, nor will they think this is possible. However when we turn from Him, His counsel, His guidance, His Word in order to do that which we are determined to do not according to His Will are we demonstrating love towards Him.

Saul did not know of Mark 12:30, but he had hear or was familiar with Deuteronomy 6:5 And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might.

Saul has become disobedient,lost his faith in God and even more does not want David to live as he is jealous. all this drives him to pursue David even when David sought the sanctuary of Samuel.

People prophesy when the Holy spirit is upon them because they are annointed by the spirit of God to prophesy. Thats a gift of the Holy spirit.

At the day of Pentecost, the Holy spirit came upon the disciples and they also speaking in tongues.

Saul's faith in God, remembering Samuel anointing him as king, had decreased to a minimum, because he did not like the idea of David (1) being anointed as king, (2) being more popular with the people. Jealously defeats faith, especially in God. So Saul continued down the long, dirty road of jealousy, being pushed by the evil spirit in him.

When the Holy Spirit comes upon people, they speak what says to them. Remember Balaam when he was asked to curse Israel, all he could say was what God said to him: blessing upon Israel. Even from the New Testament in John 3, we do not know the mind of Holy Spirit and He does His own thing.

The two incidents are not related. In the Old Testament, when the Spirit of God came upon people, they prophesied and spoke the words of God. In the New Testament, when the spirit of God came upon people, He was giving them gifts, such as: Healing, Speaking in another language, Interpreting another language that was spoken, Prophesying, and others.

What does it tell us about Saul's faith that he pursues David even when he has sought the sanctuary of the prophet Samuel? Saul has become so jealous and so determines to kill David and feels that because he is king that nothing is above him. Saul has no respect or honor for Samuel and the sanctuary because he now knows his time is coming short and God has anointed David so he feared him. Why do people prophesy when the Holy Spirit comes upon them? When the power of the Holy Spirit causes you to prophesy, it’s the power of a heavenly divine language that is spoken with you and God can understand.

The incident in this chapter with Saul to me was both amusing and confusing. I did not understand why Saul kept sending his messengers and why the Spirit of God caused Saul to strip off his clothes(other than he was going mad and that was all flesh) and why didn’t the author or Samuel explain the reason for this event or/and why the incident took place. I was just left wondering why and assuming just like the people in the bible "what in world". :o However, in Act 2 the Day of Pentecost clearly states the event and the reason why they were all in the upper room. The only relationship between the two is the power of the Holy Spirit and Spirit was in control and pour out spirit upon all those who were in close proximity and they began to prophesy.

Q3. (1 Samuel 19:18-24)

This tells us that, Saul's faith is not solid; he does not really accept everything that the Lord wants.

People prophesy when the Holy Spirit comes upon them because of the Holy Spirit possesses them, moving them to speaking the things of God.

The relationship between this incident and the day of Pentecost (Acts 2) is that, in both cases the mystery of the Holy Spirit was manifested and shows how the Holy Spirit has control over us.

His faith was weak. When the H.S. comes upon people He speaks through them.

When Pentecost came, the H.S. indwelt believers. The H.S. speaking through them was a witness to the unbelievers.

Saul believed only in his own ability and his own ideas. Very often outsiders cant understand what someone was thinking when they acted, and this is one of those cases. I can only believe God hardened his hart because He wanted to teach us something, although the bible doesnt tell us so, like God did with Pharoh. All the evidence was there to stop, but just like Pharoh, Saul just pushed on with his own will

Prophesy is to speak the Words of God. The Holy Spirit empower us, but also comunicate with us, thus when He come over us, we prophesy.

The Holy Spirit came over the people , so they spoke the Words of God.

Saul lost his faith completly by this time. If we do not seek the Lord, we will lose our faith and our understanding of God. Saul wanted what he wanted not what God wanted and he would try to get it at any cost.

If you had something so powerful as the loving Holy Spirit wouldn't you want to tell people about it and worship. The one thing I think about is how people can be all enthusiastic at some conference and then afterwards revert back to their old ways.

The scriptures say: "that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,

in heaven and on earth and under the earth,

11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,

to the glory of God the Father."

I believe these prophets encountered Jesus and did just that.

It seems that nothing is more sacred in Saul's eyes than his own pride, self-centeredness and power game. Saul is so kin in getting rid of David that he will not hesitate to even defile the School of the Prophets of which Samuel was the leader... there wasn't much respect or even honor left in Saul's heart for the great Samuel at this point. Even as the Spirit of God came on him and he prophecied, nothing changed in his heart and no sign of repentance was really at work in Saul's life. The hardening of his heart was extreme!!

People prophecy when the Spirit comes on them because there is a reality from God that supersedes current situations and even hearts' inclinations ... God rules by His Spirit and does whatever He has purposed!! Nothing can hinder what He has decided (in this case for David to live and become the next king) and He will be able to force that kind of behavior even on the most rebellious of men (like Saul) so that everybody will know that God can overrule the plans of men and even rulers!!

This incident relates with the Day of Pentecost in that it was the sovereign will of God to see the Church take off with the power of the Holy Spirit that would intensify the presence of God and of His Kingdom on earth and thus fulfill the promises of Jesus (cf Gospel of John about the coming of the HS). It also realtes to the fact that it was an enduement of power that was causing the Realities that are in God to be manifested on earth among men. Nobody could take any credit of the harvest of souls that resulted, not even Peter who spoke out of that anointing of the Holy Spirit. Clearly, Jesus is the One who builds His Church....

1. Saul has no faith and there is nothing sacred to him.

2. The Holy Spirit processes you in a way where you have no control but to speak of the things of God.

3. Relationship between this incident and the Day of Pentecost are the same. The Holy Spirit came upon them and they prophesied.