JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (1 Samuel 24:12) How do we apply the principle of not lifting a hand against the Lord’s anointed in our day? What provisions are there in 1 Timothy 5:19-20 for calling leaders to account. What do you think God will do to those who slander, persecute, and martyr his appointed leaders?

• 1 month later...

Q2. (1 Samuel 24:12) How do we apply the principle of not lifting a hand against the Lord’s anointed in our day? What provisions are there in 1 Timothy 5:19-20 for calling leaders to account. What do you think God will do to those who slander, persecute, and martyr his appointed leaders?

The principle of not lifting a hand against the Lord's anointed in our day can be seen in our respect for and care for those whom G od has placed in leadership positions. As servants of God we are not to bring harm to them verbally, physically or by character assination. We are to receive them as those we were receiving Jesus Himself. The scripture tells us not to do God's anointed harm and Jesus taught His disciples how His servants were to be treated, in both Matthew and Luke. "He who receives you receives me, and he who receives me receives the one who sent me. Anyone who receives a prophet because he is a prophet will receive a prophet's reward, and anyone who receives a righteous man because he is a righteous man will receive a righteous man's reward. And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward." (Matthew 10:40-42) "He who listens to you listens to me; he who rejects you rejects me; but he who rejects me rejects him who sent me." (Luke 10:16)

In 1 Timothy 5:19-20 the Apostle Paul taught both respect for the leader and leader's office and also call upon the leaders to be held accountable publickly for their sin. "Those who sin are to be rebuked publicly, so that the others may take warning." (1 Timothy 5:20)

For those who bring slander, persecution and other harm to God's appointed leaders, God will bring upon them just punishment.

• 2 weeks later...

How do we apply the principle of not lifting a hand against the Lord’s anointed in our day? DO NOT SPEAK AGAINST THE LEADERS TO THE PUBLIC.

What provisions are there in 1 Timothy 5:19-20 for calling leaders to account. IF THEY DID IT ONCE, THEY WILL DO IT AGAIN; WHEN TWO OR THREE COMPLAIN, IT IS TO BE REVEALED TO THE PUBLIC BY GOD AND GOD WILL DEAL WITH IT HIS WAY; WHICH IS NOT OUR WAY.

What do you think God will do to those who slander, persecute, and martyr his appointed leaders? SAME AS HE WILL DEAL WITH HIS ANOINTED.

By taking care of his needs, not speaking ill of him.

If necessary, church discipline needs to be followed.

I think they are probably are not saved, so they will end up in hell unless the Holy Spirit can touch them as He did Saul/Paul.

Lesson 4,Question 1. Following David's principle of not lifting a hand against the Lord's anointed.

2. Those who sin are to be rebuked publicity, so that others may take warning.

3. From evildoers comes evil deeds. god judges us all.

4. God will punish them. He will do to those that do harm to others.

(1 Samuel 24:12) How do we apply the principle of not lifting a hand against the Lord’s anointed in our day?

Everyone is going through challenges. Gal 6 v 1-2: Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted. Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

What provisions are there in 1 Timothy 5:19-20 for calling leaders to account.

Tell those who sin that they are wrong. Do this in front of the whole church so that the others will have a warning.

What do you think God will do to those who slander, persecute, and martyr his appointed leaders?

God will judge them

Q2. (1 Samuel 24:12)

How do we apply the principle of not lifting a hand against the Lord's anointed in our day?

What do you think God will do to those who slander, persecute, and martyr his appointed leaders?

Our church has just come through a traumatic experience of having had to dismiss our pastor. This has initially had a hugely harmful effect on our church membership. But we praise our Lord that there are positives that are beginning to occur. One of these is that it has drawn us as a congregation closer to each other as we await our new pastor. Our leaders are special targets of Satan’s attack, and they, as the Lord’s anointed need all the support, help, and prayers that we can give them. We must be careful about judging others because that is the way we will be judged.

Keep our mouths shut (control your tongue) and pray for those in authority.

There must be 2 or 3 witnesses and if they are convicted rebuke them openly.

I don't know however I do know He will do something in His time and that is just.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

We are to respect God's annointed servants . We have to treat them well and not judge as we will be judged.

In 1 Timothy we are asked not to entertain accusation against the elders unless there are witnesses to what they have done. If theysin they should be rebuked publicly

If Gods people are slandered martyred pr persecuted God will surely deal with them with His wrath

We can apply the principle of not lifting a hand against the Lord's anointed in our day by showing respect for them. We may not be in agreement with them and we may even see them caught up in sin or immaturity, but we don't have to make a public show of it by gossiping about them or slandering them. We can pray for them and remind ourselves of the good in them that most likely outweighs the one issue that has become a root for bitterness in ourselves. Most areas that people get upset with their leadership about, are really areas that aren't that important. If the problem though is severe and the sin MUST be addressed, then we have instruction on how to go about that. Hopefully, other Godly leaders will take an honest look at the complaint and won't have blind loyalty to any particular leader.

Hopefully like David, they will inquire of God and seek His will in it.

The instruction from 1 Timothy 5: 19,20 are to have two or three witnesses to what the leader is to be accused of. Those leaders who continue sinning are to be told they are wrong and they should be told in front of the whole church so others will be warned.

God's instruction on what will happen to those who slander and persecute leaders is clear.

"Do not touch my anointed ones;

do my prophets no harm." (Psalm 105:15; cf. 1 Chronicles 16:22)

Jesus taught his disciples:

"He who receives you receives me,

and he who receives me receives the one who sent me.

Anyone who receives a prophet because he is a prophet

will receive a prophet's reward,

and anyone who receives a righteous man because he is a righteous man

will receive a righteous man's reward.

And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones

because he is my disciple,

I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward." (Matthew 10:40-42)

"He who listens to you listens to me;

he who rejects you rejects me;

but he who rejects me rejects him who sent me." (Luke 10:16)

Many churches apply the idea of love, forgiveness, reconiciliation- however, things like disputes and gossip can be handled. For intance, 1 Timothy 5:17-20 elders who direct the affairs of the church, who teach and preach should be doubly honored and if there are disputes about their character, we are to make sure we have witnesses.

Luke 12:48" To whom much is given, much is required" so leaders need to stay in prayer plenty. On a personal note, me and my husband have been slandered online and God does not like when that happens to his anointed, (Numbers 35:33-34). In that case we need to be reminded of Psalm 51:14, "Save me from bloodguilt, Oh God who saves me, and my tongue will sing of your righteousness"

Q2. (1 Samuel 24:12) How do we apply the principle of not lifting a hand against the Lord's anointed in our day?

The principle of not lifting a hand against the LORD'S anointed means, one is not to bring physical harm to them; however, we who are believers in God's Son are also God's anointed 2 Cor. 1:20-22 “Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us is God, who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee”, this is why we are called to love one another.

It is a horrible thing for a person to speak "EVIL" against God's anointed, however, we are called to hold them accountable for their actions, and for what they are teaching, just as Nathan rebuked David for adultery and murder, we too must be aware of "FALSE TEACHERS" and hold them accountable.

What provisions are there in 1Timothy 5:19-20 for calling leaders to account?

Public or congregation rebuke when properly administered is a form of God's love.

(1 Samuel 24:12) How do we apply the principle of not lifting a hand against the Lord's anointed in our day?

The hand against the Lord's anointed in our day could be physical (self explanatory), the hand could be our actions / attitude. We can lift our hand to hurt or harm God's anointed today verbally, by being disrespectful / disobedient, non-supportative / against / constantly presenting negative confrontation.

Basically the accusation need to be substantiated before two or three witnesses. These witnesses (the two or three) motives should be pure according to God because they have to attest to the charge against the elder (leader). "Reprimand those leaders who sin. Do it in front of everyone so that the other leaders will also be afraid." "Them that sin rebuke before all" The elder whereby it was proven to have sinned are to be brought before all, these actions are not sanctions to be carried out by way of malicious intent or for private gratification by the witnesses who substantiated the accusation, but for the purpose of accountability. This is an intervention with the hopes of stopping the furtherance of continued sin. That others also may fear - That they may be kept from committing the same offence.

This is a good principle, however it is very unfortunate that it is not adhered to. The ostrich head in the sand syndrome is adhered to a greater degree. So many atrocities have accrued in many denominations because the principle set forth here was not upheld. It was said in the Middle one denomination required 72 witnesses had to substantiated any accusation against a bishop. This addition to 1 Timothy 5:19 certainly made it difficult to bring the charges, the sin before all. Charges against a elder (church leader) is not to be easily received, equally proven not many want to do it ostrich head in the sand syndrome.

It is true that what a person reap they will sow, however the sowing may not be in exactness. What is true is that God is the Vindicator, He also is the Adjudicator, He as well is merciful and just. Basically God will hold them accountable according to His Will, in His timing.

How do we apply the principle of not lifting a hand against the Lord's anointed in our day?

We treat our church leaders with respect. This is what we are taught and it is Biblical

1Ti 5:19 Do not accept an accusation against an elder unless it is supported "by two or three witnesses."

1Ti 5:20 As for those who keep on sinning, rebuke them in front of everyone so that the rest will also be afraid.

We can call leaders to account, but there must be witnesses. We must do it carefully and with respect.

The judgment is God's, not ours

How do we apply the principle of "not lifting a hand against the Lord's anointed" in our day?

The leaders of a congregation of believers is to be respected, even if they do some things wrong or not to your liking. It is just like, I believe, that we must respect the office of President of the United States, even if we do not like what the president is doing.

What provisions are there in 1 Timothy 5:19 - 20, for calling leaders to account?

Do not hang on to an accusation against an elder, unless you have two or three witnesses to the action. But if proven, bring it first to the person, then to the congregation, so that all will know that if you want to be an elder or leader, you must be accountable.

What do you think God will do to those who slander, persecute, and martyr His appointed leaders?

We cannot think about it, for it is God's action to give judgment to all people.

How do we apply the principle of not lifting a hand against the Lord's anointed in our day? Show respect and honor to our leaders of the church and do not talk about them in a negative way or slander them. "The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching...What provisions are there in 1 Timothy 5:19-20 for calling leaders to account. Don’t except as true an accusation against an elder unless verified by the two or three witness. “Do not entertain an accusation against an elder unless it is brought by two or three witnesses. Those who sin are to be rebuked publicly, so that the others may take warning." (1 Timothy 5:17, 19-20).” What do you think God will do to those who slander, persecute, and martyr his appointed leaders? God said touch not his anointed, so if they are in “His Will” they will be vindicated by God.

Q2. (1 Samuel 24:12)

We apply the principle of not lifting a hand against the Lord's annointed in our day by accepting and respecting the authority in place, not necessarily looking on who the person is on that authority.

The provisions that are there in 1Timothy 5::19-20 for calling leaders to account are: not to entertain an accusation against the leader unless such accusation is brought by two or three witnesses; and to rebuke publicly those are found to have done wrong so that the others may take warning.

To those who slander, persecute and martyr God's appointed leaders, I think God will deny them the inheritance of His Kingdom; unless they accept their wrongdoings and repent.

Because of the rending of the veil following the Crucifixion, all are anointed and chosen by God. Each of us receives the same invitation from God through Christ Jesus: to be a family in the priesthood of all believers. Therefore, to lift a hand or tongue in violence against one another, especially those who are weak and/or vulnerable, seems quite counterintuitive to the beliefs, faith, and practices held dear by members of a priesthood of all believers. We are human. We will slip. As long as we get back up and keep earnestly trying to still our tongues and hands, and open our ears and hearts, I believe that we will experience more acts of grace and mercy than we would if we continued hurting, slandering, persecuting, and martyring those who help bring about positive, equalizing change to all segments of society. We are all appointed leaders, and we all have the potential to lead efforts for peace, prosperity, and progress -- starting within our own selves and working our ways out into the world around us.

I am not sure what God might or might not do to those who slander, persecute, and martyr leaders appointed by Him, anointed by Holy Spirit, and/or voted into office. I do not know or even try to imagine the workings of the mind and hand of God. What I can surmise is that people who do so continually will eventually reap what they sow. Whether we can see that reaping is irrelevant. It will and does happen.

Q2. (1 Samuel 24:12) How do we apply the principle of not lifting a hand against the Lord’s anointed in our day?

What applicability does this have to Christians today? Who is, or are, the Lord’s anointed who should not be touched? Commenter Andrew Price pointed out correctly that the role of the Old Testament kings was fulfilled in Jesus, whose title Christ or Messiah means Anointed One. The same could be said of the role of the Old Testament anointed prophets. However, the New Testament teaches that every Christian believer, everyone in Christ, has an anointing from the Holy Spirit (1 John 2:20), is a potential prophet (1 Corinthians 14:31), and is even now reigning with Christ (Revelation 20:4 and Ephesians 2:6, ( http://www.gentlewis...lords-anointed/ )

I feel those who are Christians are all God's anointed as they choose to follow God's son. We are ALL God's children. Therefore,I believe we should not speak out against, nor do harm in any way to one another. If there is a situation in which we feel another Christian needs rebuking we should come together ( at least 2 or 3 others) and gently rebuke that person. Not publicly shame nor do any harm in any way to another of God's anointed. We are all ONE ( ALL who have received Christ) in Christ Jesus.

1 Corinthians 12:18-27 (NIV)

18 But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body.21 The eye cannot say to the hand, I don’t need you! And the head cannot say to the feet, I don’t need you! 22 On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unrepresentable are treated with special modesty, 24 while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25 so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.

Q2. (1 Samuel 24:12) How do we apply the principle of not lifting a hand against the Lord's anointed in our day? What provisions are there in 1 Timothy 5:19-20 for calling leaders to account. What do you think God will do to those who slander, persecute, and martyr his appointed leaders?

We should fear God and do talk / do evil against our leaders because God warn us not to touch his anointed one or do his prophets no harm.

Leaders that are found to have actually commit offences should be publicly confronted to serve as a lesson to others.

God will punish those who slander, persecute and martyr his appointed leaders.

We apply the principle of not lifting a hand against the Lord’s anointed by respecting those who are in leadership and never speak ill of them. Keep them in prayer before the Lord. If a leader sin and we follow according to scripture by two or three witness then we should rebuke him/her publicly so that other may take warning. Those who deals’ disaccording with God’s anointed will have to face the wrath of God.

We can apply the principle of not lifting a hand against the Lord’s anointed one in our day by what we say about them. We can dislike what their decisions are but we must respect the office that they hold. The provisions that are in 1 Timothy is that any accusation that is brought against a leader be done by two or three. And then if they are true that person is to be rebuked publicly.

I think that God will give those who slander, persecute, and martyr his appointed leaders their just award.

How do we apply the principle of not lifting a hand against the Lord’s anointed in our day?

What provisions are there in 1 Timothy 5:19-20 for calling leaders to account. What do you think God will do to those who slander, persecute, and martyr his appointed leaders?

In today's time we can apply the principle by respecting our Pastor not talking against him/her and not allowing others to either. I Timothy 5:19-20 states that if there are any complaints against the Pastor they are to be brought forth by two or three witnesses. I don't know actually what God would do for those who slander...his annointed, but I do believe they will have to account for their actions.

Crazy worldly people today I believe Christians are killed just for believing. I think he will say I never knew you on judgement day