JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...

You can say it was justice done For Joab slaying Abner even though it was through treachery if Abner wanted to stay alive he could have went to a city of refuge until the conflict could be resolved. This set Daviids plans back for a year or more because of a hothead, but Joab had fought many battles with David. This was a weakness of David he would turn his head when a friend did wrong. All that mattered to Joab is revenge for his brothers death. when we put on spiritual blinders and not seek God's will disaster will follow every time. God Bless Brother Mike

Why does Joab slay Abner?

This was revenge for his brother's death. Joab surely didn't believe in leaving judgement for God.

Is he justified in doing so?

No, this was peace time, not war, and he knew David just met under good conditions with Abner. This was a selfish move, he didnt care about the kingdom, about uniting with Israel or anything else but his own anger. He also ignored David, the king's instructions and image. Israel must have thought really poorly of David after the man who came to discuss peace was murdered

How does this affect his king's unification plans?

It delayed it a lot since he caused distrust to Israel

Why do you think Joab is so blind?

He was selfish and uncontrollable. He showed a few times that he will rather follow his own will and didnt care about God or David's will.

How can our spiritual blindness get in the way of God working out His plan in our lives?

As long as i follow my own will, God's will can't manifest in my life. Often we are saying we did this or that for God. Did we ask God whether we are supposed to do it or did we tell God "I am going to do this for You".

We must follow God's will in everything we do, ask for wisdom and be obedient. As long as we follow our own ideas, we will stay blind, we must stop to get exited about our plans and start to experience the joy of allowing God to work through us. What a wondrful way to grow in faith, experiencing success through God because of obedience

Why does Joab slay Abner? HE KILLED HIS BROTHER IN SELF DEFENSE.

Is he justified in doing so? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

How does this affect his king's unification plans? TAINTED A PERFECT PLAN.

Why do you think Joab is so blind? HUMAN WEAKNESS OF "REVENGE."

How can our spiritual blindness get in the way of God working out His plan in our lives? BLINDED BY OUR OWN FEELINGS AND PLANS; THE WAY GETS CLOUDY AND GOD'S PLAN GETS DERAILED.

In revenge because Abner killed his brother.

No. Killing him is not a justified he should left everything in God's.

Causes problem such as distrust to Israel and lack of respect to God and David. He followed his own will not Gods'.

Taking matters in his own hand by the killing go Abner made him blind to the fact- that God takes care of everything. His blindness shows that he doesn't have son in his heart.

Because we cannot see to follow God's way of being obedience to him. We must have God in our heart, His will, and pray.

Ask him for guidance and wisdom tone obedient to Him. If not our blindness we prevent us from seeing and receiving his gifts.

Q1. (2 Samuel 3:22-39) Why does Joab slay Abner? Is he justified in doing so? How does this affect his king's unification plans? Why do you think Joab is so blind? How can our spiritual blindness get in the way of God working out His plan in our lives?

To revenge the killing of his brother by Abner

It appears it didn't affect the unification process as they saw the way King David mourned for Abner and occluded that David did not have hand on it

Joab is so blind and selfish because he was more interested in revenging the death of his brother and concerned about the unity that Abner was working on.

Spiritual blindness may prevent us from carrying out the plan of God in our lives.

(2 Samuel 3:22-39) Why does Joab slay Abner?

For the blood of Asahel his brother.

No, even though they agreed to play, they were at peace, war had not been declared.

Hebron was a city of refuge (Joshua 21:13 / Numbers 35:22-25), aside in the gate, I'm not sure if that is just inside the city or not, the beginning of the verse (2 Sam. 3:27) says And when Abner was returned to Hebron. In the city or just outside of it's gate, this was a public place, people passed by on a regular bases. Joab act was wicked / evil and deceiving.

The Scriptures does not give any indication of an adverse affect. I believe due to David exposing his sentiments publically the possible negative fallout didn't surface. (He renounces Joab's evil murder of Abner; he let it be known that that Abner's murder was not his nor his kingdom's desire; he orders to Joab and all those who were with him, "Tear your clothes and put on burlap. Mourn for Abner." and he himself walked behind the procession to the grave; lastly he laments (composed and sings) at the grave.

Anger, perhaps additionally with all or most of the elements that prompt a person to seek revenge. (fear, jealousy, envy ...)

How can our spiritual blindness get in the way of God working out His plan in our lives?

Because God does force His Will upon us, spiritual blindness prevents us from living as He desires us to live. Which can adversely affect not only our lives but others also. Nor does our spiritual blindness glorify God.

When my spirit is fixed on my view and does not align with His Spirit, I am living in disobedience. Be it disobedience for that moment or for an extended period of time I am out of His Will. I was created to worship Him, when I do not He is not glorified through me, my actions, my behavior. As I attempt to glorify myself my life is tainted with disorder that has the potential to infect others.

Spiritual blindness can be seen as self centeredness, I have determined to do things my way according to my will. By doing so I do not place His Will first. As I do so I endure, encounter greater hardship than I would have had to. Following my won will I also dishonor God, I can also cause others to be affected by my sin(s). Because I chose and was chosen to be His people deliberate sin(s) should be abstained from, when I am aware that I've sinned I should turn from it, from self-centeredness and back to Him, to His covering, and yield my desires to His Word and His will.

Q1. (2 Samuel 3:22-39) Why does Joab slay Abner?

Joab kills Abner because "UNRIGHTEOUSNESS" was in his heart.

Joab may have had many excuses for this evil deed, such as revenge for the blood of Asahel his brother, but this was "MURDER", and God makes it very clear that evil, MURDER" proceeds out of the HEART, and it is this that defiles a man.

NO.

The potential was great to destroy any plans of unification of the twelve tribes together; for the people could have believed it was ordered by David himself.

It was because of David's actions that displayed to the people genuine remorse, as David had Joab and all the people who were with him to mourn for Abner and put on "SACKCLOTH".

The people saw David as he led the funeral procession of Abner in Hebron, weeping for this great warrior, that all the people and all Israel understood - it was not the king's intent to have Abner killed.

He did not fear the "GOD OF ISRAEL".

Spiritual blindness can result from a heart that hardens itself to the things of God, allowing "UNRIGHTEOUSNESS" to take root instead.

Joab killed him to revenge him for his brother's death.

No--"vengeance is mine, thus saith the Lord." Besides, he didn't really understand the circumstances around his brother's death.

David's unification plans went on--just a little bump in the road.

Joab's anger & unforgiveness blinded him to the facts. He wasn't letting God direct his path as David did.

Our own feelings and self-centeredness, plus not spending enough time in the Word can blind us to God's plan for us.

(2 Samuel 3:22-39) Why does Joab slay Abner?

Because he killed his brother

No

How does this affect his king’s unification plans?

The people might think he was behind Joab

He follow his lower nature

Isa 59 v 1-2 Behold, the Lord’s hand is not shortened, That it cannot save; Nor His ear heavy, That it cannot hear.2 But your iniquities have separated you from your God; And your sins have hidden His face from you, So that He will not hear.

Q1. (2 Samuel 3:22-39) Why does Joab slay Abner? Is he justified in doing so?

Joab doesn't see that Abner didn't intentionally kill his brother Asahel, who apparently impaled himself on Abner's spear. Joab killed Abner, then for revenge. No, avenging his brother's death was not a justifiable act of war...it was person vindication.

It could have derailed the plans, but because David acted wisely the plans went ahead.

Revenge didn't remove Joab's rage...he was still "seeing red" over his brother's death. He was more focused on his own grief and pain than on the King's business, which was also the Lord's plan and purpose in the matter. In the days and weeks following the death of a loved one, grief can so envelope, that life as we know it seems to stop, and the loss and grief are all one can cope with, especially if it was a violent death, suicide, or painful accident.

When we are spiritually blind, we cannot "see" or perceive what the Lord's will is for our lives. We are literally BLIND and are left to stumble in darkness until we desire to see the LIGHT. Until then we follow our fallen nature, our own instincts, and react to life rather than respond to God's leading.

Q1. (2 Samuel 3:22-39) Why does Joab slay Abner? Is he justified in doing so? How does this affect his king’s unification plans? Why do you think Joab is so blind? How can our spiritual blindness get in the way of God working out His plan in our lives

Joab slays Abner to avenge the death of his brother Asahel.

He is not justified in doing this because Abner killed Asahel in battle, defending his own life.

This affected the Kings unification plan because David could have been viewed as being behind the murder. He was to be King over all the tribes, but there still were some divisions. He couldn't risk even looking like he was behind the murder. He needed to prove he was King over all in fairness and integrity.

Joab was blinded by hatred. He was angry that his brother was killed in battle. He took revenge in his own hands and except that David took care of the situation wisely, it could have caused division and disunity and could have stood in the way of God's will for David and all of Israel.

Our spiritual blindness can do the same. If we take matters into our own hands and for the wrong reasons or out of our own sinfulness, we can be a detriment for God's will being done. I thought it interesting that Joab was blinded by hatred and let bitterness grow in his heart until he acted in violence. A good warning for all of us to not let that bitterness grow out of our own sorrows. If we do, we react with emotion and we don't handle situations in Godly ways.

Why does Joab slay Abner? Joab wanted to avenge his brother’s death. Is he justified in doing so? No, Joab was angry with Abner for killing his brother Asahela and for going behind him to talk to David about a peace treaty. How does this affect his king's unification plans? The peace treaty was going to take place because David was destining to be king and Ish-bosheth wanted an end to the constant bloodshed. Both David and Ish-bosheth comes to an agreement for peace. According to Abner the elders was also ready for David to become king. How can our spiritual blindness get in the way of God working out His plan in our lives? We bring self or selfishness or pride in our way. We see things or circumstances most of times in natural sense not in the spiritual sense for what they are. So naturally we try to fix it without seeking God. God sometimes allows us to do it our way until we remove self and completely surrender and trust God to take care of it. Take a self check and see what self is standing in the way of then move self out of the way so you can receive your blessing.

Q1. (2 Samuel 3:22-39)

Joab kills Abner in a revenge killing to avenge his brother’s (Asahel) death. I don’t think Joab understood that Abner had come in peace; rather he thought the only reason Abner had come was to deceive David by spying out the situation and getting ready for an attack. Joab, being blinded by the death of his brother, had only his family and personal interests at heart rather than that of his country; and his actions could easily have jeopardized the whole process of unifying David’s kingdom. As Christians we must be most careful not to return evil for evil as most people do today. I know that sometimes this is easier said than done. We must, however, resist the temptation to fight back and try to get even. Rather, by faith, we must put our trust in our Heavenly Father to accomplish His will in our lives and in the lives of those who hurt us. We read this in Romans 12:19, “Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord”. Again in Proverbs 24:29, “Do not say, "I'll do to him as he has done to me; I'll pay that man back for what he did."

Joab was filled with bitterness and anger after Abner had killed his brother, Asahel. So Joab thought that he had a right to kill the one who killed his brother.

There was a law in Israel about killing the one who killed a relative. But Joab killed Abner by deceit. No, he was not justified in doing it the way he did.

It could have destroyed the plans, if David had not tried to separate himself from what Joab did. David did not consider Abner an enemy at that time, but a negotiator of a treaty with Israel and Judah.

Joab must have been away from place of the sealing of the treaty and did not know what had happened. Not knowing, he let his anger grow until he was blind with rage to kill Joab at any cost.

When we allow the material world around us to infiltrate our soul and we seem to not be able to understand the principle that Jesus taught about anger: do not let anger control you. God is the one who takes care of vengeance for us.

Q1. (2 Samuel 3:22-39) Why does Joab slay Abner? Is he justified in doing so? How does this affect his king’s unification plans? Why do you think Joab is so blind? How can our spiritual blindness get in the way of God working out His plan in our lives?

Joab wanted to have revenge on Abner. He is not justified, he simply went with his own nature to get revenge instead of leaving vengence to the Lord. Our emotions blind us if we let them.

Well we are blind and don't see what we are doing. God cannot bless those who insist on operating on their schedule and plans instead of God's perfect plan.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13<p class="ipsLikeBar right clearfix" id="rep_post_77185">

It is primarily a revenge killing. Joab is angry and want's to kill Abner because Abner killed his brother. However, I believe there is another 'ulterior motive', he fears losing his superior status in David's army to Abner. He is jealous of Abner, and fears losing rank as David's high general to Abner.

Absolutely NOT!!!!!!!!!

Because God is with David and David consults God in everything, ( If God is for us, who can stand against?) It does not affect the peace treaty,between the Northern and Southern kingdoms of Israel. The people believe David when he says he has no part in the killing of Abner. He backs up his words with actions by renting his clothes and mourning with his men for Abner's death.

However, there could have been devastating consequences. if David was not a man after God's own heart, Joabs killing of Abner could have resulted in much more war and bloodshed. Even centuries more, And derailed the peace treaty and the handing over of all of Israel to David.

He is engulfed in hatred and seeks revenge -he is blind-sighted. He can see no further than his own desire to revenge his brothers death. He is power hungry and wants to remain high general to David.. He is most assuredly not a man after God's own heart. He is self willed and self indulgent.

Power seeking, going after our own desires, hatred, revenge, and all evil doings block us from receiving God's love, power and grace.. Never seek our own will , stay steadfast, as David, in our resolve and love for God.Seek God first in everything. Walk the the straight path for wide is the road but narrow is the door that leads to the Kingdom of God.. Stay true to God, seek his will, through the power of the Holy Spirit, do not rely on shelf

Remember these six words God is GOD and I'm not. Give all to Him.

Joab slays Abner as a revenge against Abner who he accused of killing his (Joab's) brother.

He is not justified in doing so as in fact, is Joab's brother who impales himself on Abner's spear.

I think this does not affect his King's unification plans as the King publicly denounces any involvement in Abner's killing.

Joab is so blind because is filled with anger and the want to revenge.

Our spiritual blindness can get in the way of God working out His plan in our lives by failing to concetrate on the facts and the importance of the plan. Instead we only see something bad.

Joab salyed Abner because Joab thought the Abner had murdered his brother. He was not justified because it could either be called an accident or that his brother was trying to kill Abner. Abner was protecting himself. The unification plans still went through but it probably was a harder to accomplish.

I think that Joab was so blind because he didn’t know what was going on between his brother and Abner or maybe he just wanted Abner’s position.

The way that our spiritual blindness can get in the way of God working out His plan in our lives is that we don’t hear what God wants to do with us. We keep on doing thing our way rather than listening to God.

Joab slays Abner because he was seeking revenge for his brother's Asahel's death.

Joab's slaying of Abner wasn't justified. Asahel's death by Joab's hands was an accident and wasn't intentional.

What Joab did was clearly murder and not a righteous avenging.

This had no affect on the king's unification plans because David showed the people he had no part in Abner's death.

Joab was so blind because he was so full of anger that he wasn't thinking clearly

Our spiritual blindness can get in the way of God's plan for our lives when we insist on doing things in the flesh rather than being led by the Spirit.

Q1. (2 Samuel 3:22-39) Why does Joab slay Abner? Is he justified in doing so? How does this affect his king’s unification plans? Why do you think Joab is so blind? How can our spiritual blindness get in the way of God working out His plan in our lives?

It appears Joab had revenge issues. He felt he was avenging his brother's death by killing Abner. Now blood has been spilled during a time where there should be peace(1 KIngs 2:5) and this leads David to call upon sickness on Joab's father's house.

Spiritual blindness keeps us from the promise of a righteous filled life. Sure we get results when we go about it our way but the results end badly...

Joab killed Abner in an act of vengeance over his brother's death. It was not Joab's decision to make, but David's. Joab took the matter into his own hands because he thought he knew better than David. Whenever something evil happens, God brings good out of it. The people got behind David when they saw how upset he was over the murder of Abner. It pleased them, which unified them. Joab did not consult God about what his plans were, and did not leave the matter of his brother's death for God to work out. God's ways are above ours. We do not know how our actions can impede God's plans.

Joab slew Abner to advenged the killing of his brother, Ashel.

Joab is not justified in killing Abner.

The slaying of Abner went against King David's plans to bring peace between the two kingdom.

Joab is blind because he only wanted revenge for Abner's killing his brother.

Our spritial blindness get in the way when we want to do things our way rather than God's way.

Because Abner killed his brother. I really don't think it was Abner's fault. Abner told Joab's brother to get back and he didn't. All Abner had to do was stop moving and Joab's brother stabbed himself on Joab's sword. He really was inexperienced.

Yes, he was justified. It was self defense at the least. Who was pusueing who?

I don't think it effected the people too much but Joab was not about to work with Abner in uniting the two nations. Somebody had to go.

Joab was looking for the first reason he could find to kill Abner. I doubt if he wanted anything to do with Abner being in David's circle due to possible loss of his status in David's eyes. David should have realized that this mix of Abner and Joab was not going to work. The people of Judah wanted David to be their king so that they would have protection from the Philistines. I don't think Abner needed to be included in the rank with Joab. David should have sent Abner to a nice country home in the country.

We are not willing to see what God would have us do. We call something wrong instead of looking at the reality of it (like Joab saying that Abner killed his brother. Joab's brother killed himself) and therefore we act not as God would have us act.

Abner was of the house of Saul increasing his position by sleeping with Saul's concubines so was sent awa. Joab slayed Abner after bringing him back. Spiritual blindness always comes from our wants instead of God's .