JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Discipline and Covenant

• 3 months later...

There is a conditional aspect in the Davidic Covenant -- that God will discipline David's descendants when they sin.

How did God discipline David and his descendants? LOSS OF A CHILD AND STRIFE IN THE FAMILY.

There is a conditional aspect in the Davidic Covenant – that God will discipline David’s descendants when they sin. How did God discipline David and his descendants?

I never saw it this way before, but God regularly disciplined the Hebrews, even from Moses's time. I think after David the biggest discipline waas the 70 years in exile. For David it was the loss of his son, and his own son who wanted to kill him.

Q3. (2 Samuel 7:14-16) There is a conditional aspect in the Davidic Covenant -- that God will discipline David's descendants when they sin. How did God discipline David and his descendants?

He disciplined David and his descendants through family crises, coups. God also had disciplined David by allowing Bathsheba's son which was as result of adultery to die despite David's fasting and prayers for the child to live

Q3. (2 Samuel 7:14-16)

There is a conditional aspect in the Davidic Covenant – that God will discipline David’s descendants when they sin. How did God discipline David and his descendants?

God disciplined David and his descendants with the rod of men and by floggings being inflicted by men and by family problems and sufferings of some members of the family.

After David sinned with Bathsheba he had her husband's Uriah killed, God dealt with David and his household:

-The child that was born to Bathsheba and David died.

-David's son Amnon fell in love with his sister Tamar and sexually rapped her. David's son Absalon killed his brother Amnon for rapping their sister, Tamar.

-Absalom declared himself king and made David to flee from his kingdom. Absalom was later killed by David's army commander after he found him hanging from a tree branch.

-David's son Adonijah declared himself king for less thana day. David placed his son Solomon on the thorne and made him king.

-Solomon later had his older brother Adonijah killed because he asked to marry Abishag the Shunammite.

So David house and his decendants did not escape God's wrath.

Q3. (2 Samuel 7:14-16) There is a conditional aspect in the Davidic Covenant -- that God will discipline David's descendants when they sin.

How did God discipline David and his descendants?

The Davidic Covenant was not just to David and his descendants, the Davidic Covenant was to the nation of "Israel", for Israel is God's son, even his firstborn.

1 Ch. 17:21-23 tells us, what nation in the earth is like God's people Israel, whom God went to redeem to be his own people, to make a great name by driving out nations from before them, redeeming them from Egypt, a people God made to be his own for ever, and David saying, "therefore LORD, let the thing that thou hase spoken concerning thy servant David and his house be established for ever, and do as You have said.

The promises of the Davidic Covenant will come through the line of David.

How did GOD discipline David and his descendants, he did it on an individual basis as the mercy of God was promised, and he did it to the nation of "ISRAEL", as he split the "KINGDOM" in two.

Q3. (2 Samuel 7:14-16) There is a conditional aspect in the Davidic Covenant – that God will discipline David’s descendants when they sin. How did God discipline David and his descendants?

In David's own lifetime he was under God's discipline. The son he fathered to Bathsheba in adultery died, his son Absolom almost killed David and became king, a plague from God struck Israel because of David's insistence on taking a census, although I can't see why God objected so strongly to it that he killed 70,000 men.

As for David's descendants, Solomon turned away from God and as a result his son Rehoboam had much of the kingdom taken from him. Then Judah, the kingdom still ruled by David's line, had a succession of good and bad kings up until the exile. The goodness and or badness of each king was reflected in how well the kingdom fared in terms of prosperity, success in battles, any number of things that God caused or permitted to happen.

Davids family had the covenant with God, even though the covenant will be fulfilled, there is going to be problems, with the family. His own son tried to divide his fathers kingdom. Most of this came as a result of his father fornication with Bethsheba.

Your sins will follow you until you die. Most people think just because they get saved, all things will be chunky dory. Your sins are covered by the blood of Christ, but the reprocusions will be around for life.

God Bless all, I just have to tell the Lord Jesus Christ, how much that I love Him. He has never failed me. Praise God.

God discipline David and his descendants with the rod of men and floggings.

He disciplined David and his descendants through family crises.

God also disciplined David by allowing Bathesheba's son which was a result of adultery to die despite David fasting and prayers for the child to live.

Q3. (2 Samuel 7:14-16) There is a conditional aspect in the Davidic Covenant – that God will discipline David’s descendants when they sin. How did God discipline David and his descendants?

David lost the son born from his adulterous and disastrous union with Bathsheba. David did not discipine his son Amnon after he raped his sister Tamar. From then on there was grief and strife in David's family. David was humiliated by Absalom's threat to the throne, and had to run for his life. Absalom was murdered. When David took a sinful census, a plague fell upon the people....on and on it went through the generations.

Justly

In David's case He allowed opportunities whereby David could choose to lean upon Him for His sufficiency if he choose to. David's internal wows would be harsh! However he would not be forsaken!

His descendants would be perpetuate generations sins and misdeeds, many of them would follow their emotions and place self first. As they do so many would not turn unto God in a repentant state.

Their discipline was emotional, mental anguish, and unfortunately some of them lost their lives.

The lesson states, "the chastisement came in the form of family problems and suffering "

Nevertheless the Davidic covenant would be honored by God. The descendents reign began with

Solomon, as a figure, but accomplished in Christ.

There is a conditional aspect in the Davidic Covenant - that God will discipline David's descendants when they sin.

Further in 2 Samuel we read all about the sins committed by David and his family and how God disciplined them. There are sins of incest, murder, and rebellion mentioned, and that this brought both David and his family a lot of suffering; even almost costing him the throne. David’s sin that I best remember is his sin of adultery with Bathsheba. This sin led to other sins and terrible consequences for the whole family. He planned to have Bathsheba's husband, Uriah, killed by sending him to the front line of battle. There is Amnon's crime of incest, followed by Absalom's murder of his brother. We see Absalom proclaim himself king throughout Israel, and his strong following posing a threat to David, causing David to flee from Jerusalem. David gained time through deceptively organising his forces and putting down his son's rebellion. Absalom was killed while trying to flee; his death plunged David into grief. David and his family could not escape God’s discipline and judgments and the whole family was thrown into turmoil. When the prophet Nathan confronted the king with his sins, David acknowledged his guilt. He confessed his sins and pleaded with God for forgiveness. We read in two of David’s Psalms the agony he was suffering. In Psalm 32, “Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the LORD does not count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit. When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer. Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD"- and you forgave the guilt of my sin….” David had gone through divine chastening and forgiveness, now he encourages others to seek the Lord who deals graciously with sinners. Again in Psalm 51, “Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me….” God forgave him, but for a long period David had to endure the consequences of his lack of self-control as well as his failure to discipline his family.

(2 Samuel 7:14-16) There is a conditional aspect in the Davidic Covenant – that God will discipline David’s descendants when they sin. How did God discipline David and his descendants?

1 Kings 11 v So the Lord said to Solomon, “You have chosen to break your agreement with me. You have not obeyed my commands. So I promise that I will tear your kingdom away from you and give it to one of your servants. 12 But I loved your father David, so I will not take your kingdom away from you while you are alive. I will wait until your son becomes king. Then I will take it from him. 13 Still, I will not tear away all the kingdom from your son. I will leave him one tribe to rule. I will do this for my servant David and for Jerusalem, the city I chose.”

God disciplined through family crisis. The chastisement came in the form of family problems when there was sin. Eventually, the Kingdom was divided and each side eventually went into exile under the Assyrians or the Babylonians.

The things that happened to David and his descendants (even today) are a direct result of disobedience to God and his laws. I believe that God allows things to happen to people, but he could step in and prevent things from happening, too. If He doesn't step in and change or prevent a happening, it is His will.

Q3. (2 Samuel 7:14-16) There is a conditional aspect in the

Davidic Covenant -- that God will discipline David's

descendants when they sin. How did God discipline David and

his descendants?

God did not discipline them by taking away His covenant with David-that a descendant would stand on the throne forever and ever, that descendant, of course, is Jesus Christ. The promise has been fulfilled. God never promised it would be easy. God's wrath and anger is mighty indeed! The power for forgiveness comes from His son, only through Jesus may we be forgiven and reunited with the Father.

David and the Israelite's were held accountable by God for their sins.

Psalm 90:7, “We are brought to an end by your anger; by your wrath we are dismayed.”

Hosea 13:11, “I gave you a king in my anger, and I took him away in my wrath

God punished their sins by taking away all that belonged to them, by destroying and plundering the temple Solomon had built for him (so sad- God's wrath-how long must He tell us to OBEY)

killing their sons and daughters, killing, imprisonment, and torture of their kings. Taking their land, and sending them in to exile! Again and again God chosen ones disappoint Him.

Hosea 14:1 Return, O Israel, to the LORD your God. Your sins have been your downfall!

• 2 weeks later...

There is a conditional aspect in the Davidic Covenant -- that God will discipline David's descendants when they sin. How did God discipline David and his descendants?

His family fell apart. Brother slept with sister. Brother killed brother. His sons plotted against David.

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1189