JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 3 months later...

Q2. (2 Samuel 16:5-14) Why doesn’t David silence Shimei son of Gera from cursing him? Is this a political decision or a spiritual decision? What does it tell us about David’s faith?

The counsel that Ahithophel gave in those days was treated as if God himself had spoken. That was the reputation of Ahithophel’s counsel to David; it was the same with Absalom

• 2 weeks later...

Why doesn't David silence Shimei son of Gera from cursing him?

He believes that it is part of his punishment from God, and he believes that if he suffers through it God will have mercy on him

Is this a political decision or a spiritual decision?

It can be both, but i believe it is more spiritual

What does it tell us about David's faith?

He is still faithfull and still seeks the will of God

Why doesn't David silence Shimei son of Gera from cursing him? "David doesn't want to put himself in the place of opposing God. Notice again David's trust in God's mercy.."

Is this a political decision or a spiritual decision? SPIRITUAL

What does it tell us about David's faith? UNRELENTING!!

Q2. (2 Samuel 16:5-14) Why doesn’t David silence Shimei son of Gera from cursing him?

David believes he is being cursed by Shimei as part of God's wrath towards him. He believes it is God's will, he feels if he is obedient and accept Shimei ridicule and does not react with prideful indignation that he is embracing, submitting to God's will. And perhaps God will deliver him from His wrath.

Spiritual. He is beaten down but not defeated spiritually. He believes God will keep His promises!

What does it tell us about David’s faith?

We see David, once again, as we have time and time again in this lesson as a man after God's own heart. At times, his actions falter throughout his life and fail to reflect God's glory ( he is human,after all). But, his faith never fails him and in all things, God is with him. We have seen this over, and over, again and again, in David's life. I consider David's life to be a great lesson in faith to all of us. The lessons we learn are indeed bittersweet, as we watch David, his family, his country, go through trial after trial. Even as we see David disappoint God, in this we must see the true lesson of David's undying love and faith.God sees it, he is a man after God's own heart. David's love and faithfulness is consistent, his love for God is unfailing. Even if obedience fails him at times, he doesn't always get it right, flesh gets in the way, worldly possessions cloud his vision, that's the sad part of David's life. However through all of the tribulations, he runs a good race and because of David's faithfulness and love, and God's faithfulness and love,

The Davidac covenant is fulfilled, the triumphant Savior, Jesus Christ is born!!

(2 Samuel 16:5-14) Why doesn't David silence Shimei son of

Gera from cursing him?

David he pleaded and surrender himself to the Lord and waiting for the Lord to restore him. he had to deny himself

Absolutely spiritual

He is faithful

Q2. (2 Samuel 16:5-14) Why doesn't David silence Shimei son of Gera from cursing him?

I believe a reason David did not silence Shimei was because a small portion of what he said was true, the consequences to his "SIN" was a "CURSE", God had removed His favor, the hedge He had around David, for it was God who anointed David as king over Israel, it was God who delivered him from the hand of Saul, it was God that gave to David the master's house, David's wives, and the house of Israel and of Judah.

David exhibited great "HUMILITY" as he considered his own defects and willingly submitted himself to God as he said “my sword will not go after that of Shimei”, a man whose heart was filled with enmity and hatred, therefore David's heart was hopeful that God who is gracious and merciful would bring favor to him.

It is a spiritual decision, for true "HUNILITY" is a "VIRTUE" from God.

Faith is seen in our actions, and I see great hope is swelling up in David as he is stepping out in "FAITH".

David hoped that the Lord would look upon his repentant heart and render a blessing to compensate for Shimel's curse.

David spiritual response " let him curse, for the Lord has told him to, so it may be that the Lord will see my distress and repay me with good for the cursing I am receiving today."

This show his his faithfullness to God and that he still seeks the will of God.

Q2. (2 Samuel 16:5-14) Why doesn’t David silence Shimei son of Gera from cursing him? Is this a political decision or a spiritual decision? What does it tell us about David’s faith?

David doesn't silence Shimei because he thinks the cursing and rock throwing may be from God as punishment and he doesn't want to stand in God's way in anything.

This is a spiritual decision, purely submitting to the discipline of God.

This tells us that David's faith in God was all encompassing. It wasn't just in good times that David trusted God, but even in the times he feared God had left him and had taken favor from him. He still trusted in God enough to submit to God's will in repentance and hope!

It seems that David has bigger things to consider than this malicious and jealous old man. First he sees God's hand in it and if it is from God he will not interfere. Second he cares more about his son who is trying to take his life. He also looks to God to have mercy on him and bring about some good out of it.

This was a spiritual decision first and foremost. It tells us that David's faith in God is strong and he is willing to bear up under the punishment foretold by Nathan. David knows that God is just and He is a God of mercy. David puts himself in God's hands in the most severe circumstance with no vindictivness or woe is me. He knows that in the end God honors faith in Him.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

David doesn't silence Shiemi because he is repentant and humbled and because he believes the cursing may be part of the Lord's judgement and if he receives it the Lord might repay him with good.

I believe this is purely a spiritual decision. David is so humbled by now that his communion with the Lord is constant.

Circumstances do not alter David's faith in God. He is steadfast in good times and in bad times. This reminds me a lot of Job, 13:15..Though He slay my, yet will I trust Him...

Q2. (2 Samuel 16:5-14) Why doesn’t David silence Shimei son of Gera from cursing him?

David is completey aware that his present situation is a punishment from God for his past sins. He hears what Shimei is saying and if you think about it, it's all true . . . from Shimei's viewpoint at least. David let's Shimei rant on because he believes that perhaps what he's hearing . . . and for that matter what everyone is hearing . . . could very well be part of his judgement from God. We read that David hopes God will hear what Shimei is yelling at him and perhaps turn it into a blessing since David's part in all Shimei is accusing him of was directed by God Himself.

Definitely a spiritual decision. The politically correct way to deal with someone cursing the king is to kill that person.

David is fully trusting in God at this moment. He will not do anything that would contradict God's will. He is trusting completely in God's deliverance. He has also placed himself in God's hands. If God chooses not to restore his kingship David will accept that.

Q2. (2 Samuel 16:5-14) Why doesn't David silence Shimei son of Gera from cursing him? Is this a political decision or a spiritual decision? What does it tell us about David's faith?

David did not silence Shimei, son of Gera because he reasoned that it could have been God who told Shimei to curse him as part of God's discipline for his sins.

This is a spiritual decision. David believed in the discipline of God but also belied mercy of God would also follow.

This action further portrays David as a strong believer in God

He doesn't silence Shimei because he thinks God may be using Simei as part of His judgment.

It was a spiritual decision. A fleshly decision would be to strike back & kill him.

It shows David's faith is a trusting faith no matter what befalls him.

Q2. (2 Samuel 16:5-14)

David doesn’t silence Shimei, instead we see that he overcomes his present anger, hurt, and bitterness. It is a spiritual decision. David is being verbally abused as well as having rocks thrown at him, yet he does not retaliate. Shimei accuses David of destroying Saul and his household and taking over the throne. He is completely misinformed for we know that David spared Saul's life several times, as well as honouring the position and the authority of the king. David realises that Shimei is God's tool to shape David's life for future good. We all find criticism hard to accept, but David responds properly and this helps him to grow even more spiritually by developing character, humility, patience, and dependence upon God. This all tells us that David had great faith in God and did not seeks revenge; he would rather trust God to take care of people like Absalom and Shimei. Even though he is falsely accused and shamefully treated; still David submits to the sovereign will of God.

It seems clear that David knew this man was from the house of Saul. It sounds as if David believes he deserves the cursing, as God Himself had told David he could not build the temple because he was a man of blood. David was in fact a warrior, but he had the guilty remorse of having killed Uriah, Bathsheba's husband.

I believe this was a spiritual decision. David was resigned to whatever God was going to allow, and was not only not going to fight Absalom, but would not shed more blood in allowing Shimei to be beheaded, for cursing and declaring "the Lord has delivered the Kingdom into the hands of Absalom your son!" David believed "the Lord has bidden him to do it" (to curse David).

David had not lost his faith in God, and was resigned to whatever was God's will in this situation.

"It may be that the LORD will look on mine affliction, and that the LORD will requite me good for his cursing this day. "

David's did not allow what Shimei said provoke him to make an irrational decision, nor did he vindicate himself. As he was on this pilgrimage he acknowledges that God is in control regardless if the circumstance presented themselves due to His ordained Will or His permissive Will. David by way of actions and word was basically saying he would not revenge himself, and that God would do what is best regarding himself and Shimei. David believed that God's hand was on the future as well as the present.

Perhaps both, I believe more so spiritual

He is yet faithful

David does not silence Shimei son of Gera from cursing him because David thought it might be the Lord has sent Shimei to curse him. That curse is thus the wish of the Lord.

It is a spiritual decision.

David's faith in the Lord is strong and he hopes for mercy.

David doesn’t silence Shimei from cursing him because is concerned that it might be God who has sent him. If that were true then he would have been going against God by having him silenced. This was a spiritual decision because politically he would have had him silenced. Again this tells us that David has great faith in what God’s plan is with his life.

David feels it is well deserved not to silence Shimei and that God may have allowed Shimei to say things about David-this could be spiritual or political but he must trust God.

David does not silence Shimei because he is thinking that taking this cursing and disrectfulness toward him might be a part of his punishment for his sin, so he is taking it.

Spiritual decision

David is repentent and has faith that God will control the situation to his (God's) desire.

David doesn’t silence Shimei son of Gera from cursing him because he believes that perhaps Shimei was being used by the Lord to curse him as part of the Lord's judgment. In that case, David doesn't want to put himself in the place of opposing God.

This decision is a spiritual one rather than a political one because he says, "It may be that the LORD will see my distress and repay me with good for the cursing I am receiving today."

It tells us that David fears God and continues to trust in God's mercy and knows that in repentance God will vindicate him.

Shimei can't be reasoned with and won't be silenced and David doesn't want to put himself in the place of opposing God. Notice again David's trust in God's mercy David takes it with humility. He is in repentance; his arrogance is gone.:

Why doesn’t David silence Shimei son of Gera from cursing him?

1. David feels that this is judgment from the Lord and don't want to interfere.

2. I feel that this is a spiritual decision

3. David's faith in the Lord is strong and full of trust. He is in repentance and hopes for mercy.