JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Absalom, My Son!

Q3. (2 Samuel 18:1-19:8) Why does David command mercy for Absalom in the battle? Why does Joab kill him against David’s orders? How does David’s loud mourning threaten his kingdom? What does this say about his followers’ loyalty? What does it say about David’s faith? About his weaknesses?

• 3 months later...

Q3. (2 Samuel 18:1-19:8) Why does David command mercy for Absalom in the battle?

Clearly he loves his son unconditionally.

Why does Joab kill him against David’s orders?

Joab knows that David's kingdom will never be secure as long as Absalom lives.

How does David’s loud mourning threaten his kingdom?

By mourning Absalom's death, David is sending a message to all the faithful warriors who stood by him, that their support, their lives, are not important. Lives lost in the battle for David's kingship, were lost in vain if David mourns Absalom's death. He must show support to his men, not loyalty to his dead son. He must embrace those whom have loved and supported him, to the point of risking their own lives. Not the one who hated him (Absalom). Or risk the alternative -l osing the support of his army of faithful warriors, thus losing the kingdom again.

What does this say about his followers’ loyalty?

They were extremely loyal to David, even unto death. Willing to put their lives on hand for their king.

What does it say about David’s faith? About his weaknesses?

Davids heart is both his weakness, and his strength. God loves David's heart, in it's fullness of strength, and it's weakness as well. David has always been a man after God's own heart! God loves David, unconditionally, just as David loved his son Absalom unconditionally. Another bit of irony ? I think Not.

We love God because he first showed us what love is! God' showed David unconditional love, and in many incidences in David's life, David passes on God's love. He shows mercy to Saul, Absalom, Shimei, Ziba, and many others throughout his life time. Even though David should have killed Saul

( becasue Saul was his mortal enemy) he loved him dearly and would not kill the Lords Anointed. Even though Absalom wanted to kill David ( both Absalom and Saul were not men of God). He still loved his son, as God loves us, His children. David wanted what was in Absalom's best interest. He knew he made many mistakes raising Absalom, Absalom hated him, was repulsed by him, looked at him in his 'weakness',( not his strength) was led astray by David's own sins and lack of discipline. Yet, David still love him dearly. UNCONDITIONALLY, David passing God's love and mercy forward facilitates the prophetic fulfillment (according to God's will) of love and redemption, through Jesus Christ, Son of David, Son of God. David remains ever true to God in love and mercy..

John 4:19

We love each other because he loved us first.

Why does David command mercy for Absalom in the battle? HE IS FIRST A FATHER AND THEN A KING!!!!!

Why does Joab kill him against David's orders? HE UNDERSTOOD DAVID AND HE UNDERSTOOD REALITY; MOSTLY, HE UNDERSTOOD ABSALOM; IT HAD TO BE DONE.

How does David's loud mourning threaten his kingdom? IT SHOWED MISGUIDED LOYALTY AND A THREAT TO THE KINGDOM.

What does this say about his followers' loyalty? UNRELENTING!!

What does it say about David's faith? STRONG FAITH; STRONG FATHERHOOD!

About his weaknesses? AS MOST PEOPLE, CHILDREN ARE A CHINK IN THE BEST ARMOR.

Why does David command mercy for Absalom in the battle?

He loves his son

Why does Joab kill him against David's orders?

He does what he thinks is best for the kingdom. He knows both David and Absalom. He knows men. And he knows if Absalom doesnt die, more problems are on the way.

How does David's loud mourning threaten his kingdom?

He is showing disrespect to those who risked their lives for him. He can very soon loose all his support

What does this say about his followers' loyalty?

Very good.

What does it say about David's faith?

His faith is why his follower's loyalty is so strong. They remember everything he has done in the past because his faith is so strong

About his weaknesses? His weakness has not reduced, he still doesnt believe in disciplene for his close friends / family

Because he love Absalom so much.

Joab believes, killing David's enemy; even against orders Absalom has sought to kill the Lord's anointed his father and deserves to die.

David. Wept so excessively over Absalom that it demoralised the troops who had just fought risking their lives for him.

They have high regards for their king to the point that they were willing to put their lives on the line to protect him. This show their undying loyalty to him no matter what. Like a marriage bond to death do them apart.

His weakness is the lack of discipline towards his family and friends.

Q3. (2 Samuel 18:1-19:8) Why does David command mercy for Absalom in the battle?

Absalom was David's son of whom he “GREATLY” loved.

David was not asking much of them, just do not kill him, this is what any godly father would do.

I have to think about the heart of Saul, he tried to kill his own son when he found out that he was a friend of David’s, what a contrast between the two fathers.

I have to wonder, if the most important reason David was commanding mercy for Absalom, was his concern for his soul.

I can almost feel the anguish of David’s soul for his son, for now it is too late for Absalom to make things right with God, for mercy was not given to Absalom as David requested, instead Joab’s evil heart was eager to take things into his own hands and take Absalom’s life.

I believe Joab killed Absalom because Joab was not a godly man; he was an evil man, as commander he showed he did not care how many of his men died, for he did not have a value for "LIFE".

When Abner returned to Hebron, Joab took him aside as to speak to him, and Joab again took matters into his own hands and he killed him.

David said, "let it rest on Joab's head, and on all his father's house; let there not fail from the house of Joab one that hath an issue or that is a leper, or that leanest on a staff, or that falls on the sword

So why should we now think he will show "MERCY"? For his heart was not like David's, a heart after God's.

According to Joab, the man who had utter disdain for David's command to protect Absalom, was the cause of David's mourning, he was the man who enjoyed thrusting three spears into Absalom heart while he hung alive in the tree, therefore he was repulsed at the news of David's publicly mourning for Absalom, so in his anger he gave David a very rude lecture to stop grieving for his son, go out and speak comfort to your servants.

They were not all very loyal.

The one reason David left was because the heart of Israel belonged to Absalom, and some thought because David had fled that David lost his right to rule, and there were those who feared that David would avenge himself on those who supported Absalom.

What does it say about David's faith and about his weaknesses?

I do not understand the question.

1. David commanded mercy for Absolom because he loved him.

2. Joab killed Absolom against David's orders because:

-Joab is loyal to David.

-He believes he is right in killing David's enemy.

3. David's loud mourning threaten his kingdom by:

-His troops walking away from David, leaving him weaker than before he fleed.

4. His followers were very loyalty to him, willing to die for him.

5. David faith is strong in God's mercy. Weakness: he fail to discipline his sons.

David knows that it is because of his past sins that has caused Absalom to turn out the way he is. Moab kills Absalom against David's orders, because he knows if he does not do it David will not kill him and this will cause a lot of controversy in the kingdom. Joab rebukes David for crying for the lost of his son, because the faithful that followed him need the uplifting, not the ones trying to bring the kingdom to Absalom. Sometimes you have to do what is right, regardless of who it may hurt.

God bless Brother Mike

Q3. (2 Samuel 18:1-19:8) Why does David command mercy for Absalom in the battle? Why does Joab kill him against David's orders? How does David's loud mourning threaten his kingdom? What does this say about his followers' loyalty? What does it say about David's faith? About his weaknesses?

David commands mercy for Absalom because of his love for him despite his rebellion.

Joab kills Absalom because he knows how dangerous he is as he will stop at nothing to fight and be king in place of his father. Joab also knows the weakness of King David. David will not punish Absalom for his atrocities

David's loud mourning threatens his kingdom because it discourages the soldiers who reason that the king does not care about what harm Absalom can do to them. His action shows that he loves his son more than his army who have defended his throne successfully. The army can abandon the king and he will be without a kingdom.

Joab has been a dedicated and loyal commander and wise adviser to the king. So are the followers.

David weakness has always been his failure to punish offenders in his household.

He has a weakness in disciplining his sons and loves the beauty of Absalom.

Joab kills him, knowing it is best for David's kingdom--Absalom had become David's enemy. Joab was a true military leader.

David's loud mourning disheartened his followers--it showed up David's weakness.

His followers would soon leave & not support such a weak king--they would have felt that the work they did to fight for the king was not appreciated. Yet they were faithful supporters to the end.

David's faith was weak at that point. He suffered because of his weakness and inability to discipline his children from an early age.

Q3. (2 Samuel 18:1-19:8) Why does David command mercy for Absalom in the battle? Why does Joab kill him against David's orders? How does David's loud mourning threaten his kingdom? What does this say about his followers' loyalty? What does it say about David's faith? About his weaknesses?

Clearly David loved Absalom. Sometimes someone else has to do what is needed because the emotional bonds say between parent and child are very strong. David wanted mercy for Absalom because like any father who loves his child he did not want to see his son lost. I have to wonder if he was concerned about his son's eternal destiny also. I also think David lived with a lot of regret in regards to his job as their father.This is so tragic. There are not words to describe.

Joab did what he thought had to be done. Personally I think Joab had a mixed personality. He cautioned David about Bathsheba by saying isn't she the wife of Uriah the Hittite and also seemed to be cold about killing. However I don't know all that there is to be known about Joab except for many years he served David well.

I can see the men returning from battle tired and weary and yet elated that the battle was over and they were victorious. Then they hear the loud mourning of David about Absalom and I can see them slinking around not sure what to do. They were totally loyal to David and probably totally exhausted at this point and confused. Maybe sooner or later reason would have set in with all of them but Joab pointed out that David's men needed a leader and encouragement. David responded to his men's need.

David's faith? I don't know how you can say his faith was weak in these circumstances. Just overwhelming grief and what Joab said probably helped get David on his feet.

We all have weaknesses and regrets. David was no exception. I can only hope that David put his faith in God's ability to reach Absalom for Him while he hung in that tree.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:!3

David loves all his children. Even though Absolom has rebelled in the worst possible way, David probably hopes they can be reconciled. This is a major weakness on David's part.

If Absolom was left alive, he would rebel again. Joab knows that. The danger to David was too great to allow Absolom to live and to try again.

David mourned his son and wished he'd died instead. His fighting men could hear him and who could blame them for thinking: What did we just fight for? Who could blame them if they deserted David?

They stuck by David, despite his foolishness. Joab probably saved the kingdom for David by rebuking him.

David's faith isn't the issue here. His weakness for family almost brought him undone. Even after Absolom's rebellion had been brutally put down David mourned Absolom as if he'd died of natural causes, a loyal son. A king has to sometimes put the kingdom's best interests before his own and that of his family. If Joab hadn't killed Absolom, David probably wouldn't have punished him anywhere near as severely as he deserved.

Q3. (2 Samuel 18:1-19:8)

What does it say about David's faith? About his weaknesses?

David loved his son and did not want him to die. Joab knows that with the death of Absalom the rebellion will be over, and also for all the trouble he has caused he deserves death. David has to be careful with the mourning of his son and it would be wise to take Joab’s advise and thank his troops. After all they had risked their lives for their king, but they came back to Jerusalem as if they had been defeated. They had won the war, saved the king and his family, but the king is weeping because Absalom was slain. Instead they should have been rejoicing. As a father we can expect David to grieve over the tragic death of a son, but as a leader he owes it to his followers to acknowledge their brave service. From this we can see that David’s followers were very loyal to him, and they were sympathetic to the kings sorrow. During this whole episode we see David fully trusting God. As far as his weaknesses are concerned – I think that when it comes to his family David is seen as a weak father not disciplining his sons for one. Also he must have been in a comfort zone living the life of luxury and had become lethargic and complacent as a leader.

Q3. (2 Samuel 18:1-19:8) Why does David command mercy for Absalom in the battle? Why does Joab kill him against David’s orders? How does David’s loud mourning threaten his kingdom? What does this say about his followers’ loyalty? What does it say about David’s faith? About his weaknesses?

David commands mercy for Absalom in battle to spare his life. He knew if Absalom was cornered, he would be killed. It was a last ditch effort to deny the reality of his son's corruption. David must have loved his son even though his son was out to kill him. This was David's weakness. Once again, he was not willing to discipline his son or (as Joab did) eliminate him for the good of everyone! He put his son's life over everyone and put everyone in danger because of him. Blind loyalty always get people in trouble. We have to do what is right, not side with our emotions.

Joab killed Absalom against David's order because he knew it was the wisest thing to do. He knew there needed to be an end to Absalom to have an end to the revolt.

David's loud mourning threatened the kingdom because it showed that David was weak. I think people would have questioned his wisdom and ability to lead. David seemed ungrateful for the loss of life and the loyalty of the people towards David and for what? To mourn his son who only wanted to tear David from the throne, who most likely would have killed David anyway and who was nothing but ruthless and disrespectful towards his father. I know I would have wondered about David's capacity to judge correctly if I saw all that! I've seen blind loyalty in leadership for people doing wrong and it does make you wonder about wisdom.

His followers though, were willing to allowed him time to mourn. They were sympathetic. The coup threat was past with Absalom's death and they could afford time for David to work through his sorrow. It may have been different though if Absalom had lived. Grief over a child is a hard circumstance to go through. I'm glad Joab could give wise counsel to David to see what it may "appear" to look like to those who had worked so hard to valiantly defend David. David needed a wake up call. I'm glad David, though with great heaviness of grief, took his advice and diverted what could have grown into a disaster.

David's faith was shown through out all of these circumstances. He still remained trusting God and His promises. How hard that all must have been! How strong his faith was!

Once again, David's weaknesses are glaring also. He paid a cost for becoming a complacent leader, he lacked common sense because of devotion towards his (evil minded) son, he refused to discipline him to the very end, he wanted to give way to blind loyalty at the expense of his Kingdom, he was ungrateful and became self absorbed in grief. He didn't even take the curse on himself very seriously. He didn't try to think about or reason through "doing right" to avoid the consequences of the curse. It's sad. It's sad that we all have our set of weaknesses to work through also. How important to seek God's direction every day of our lives and be obedient to it!

I believe David wanted mercy for Absalom because he loved him.

I think Joab killed Absalom because he loved David and respected him as King. He probably felt protective over him as well since he was getting older and not as strong as he once was. I also think Joab felt that David wasn't capable of making a wise decision concerning his son because he was emotionally involved. Joab felt he was looking out David and the Kingdom.

When David got carried away in his mourning for Absalom, It might be interpreted as a sign of weakness to some. Also if he were too carried away he wouldn't be able to perform his kingly duties and they were under a serious threat of war. This would leave the people vunerable once again. They must have felt very insecure.

David's followers were probably scared and no wonder. But through it all they continued to trust his decisions and remain loyal. I believe they knew the Hand of God rested on David and they honored that even throughout the times of uncertainty.

David's faith remains steadfast throughout everything that has happened. God is his main advisor, His companion and his greatest love.

David was human and had times of weakness, especially I think as he grew older. He loved Absalom and wanted him to live. I'm sure he hoped for Absalom's repentance and reconciliation. As David became older he had probably become tired out both physically and emotionally, therefore was not leading as strongly as when he was a young man. One of the main problems I think was a lack of father to son discipline which left the spanking to God "spare the rod and spoil the child." This is a very sad story.

Regardless of all the calamities caused by Absalom he was David's son, and David loved him. I'm sure he did not love the sin(s) that Absalom committed but he loved Absalom. Similarly God loves humanity, He hates the sins that humanity commits.

They were in combat and Joab was a man of war, he saw Absalom as an enemy even though they were related. He knew of the things Absalom had done and he also had an idea of what he was capable of his life was spared.

He in essence was demonstrating a lack of concern for those around him, and also toward those who valiantly lost their lives to ensure his safety.

They were loyal! They were faithful!

What does it say about David's faith? I don't understand the placement of this question.

David's faith in God remains in tack!

About his weaknesses? Nor do I understand the placement of this question.

Perhaps as it relates the Absalom I do not see a weakness, I see compassion. Had Absalom live I'm not sure if he would have been imprisoned, if not David would have an enormous a GREAT problem at hand. God allowing Joab to do what he did prevented this probably dilemma.

As it relates to Joab, sometimes a gut check is needed, I think Joab's counsel was timely. I think his killing Absalom was a reasonable act of war, I don't know his true motives. I don't agree with Joab killing him while he was in such a defensless state. This act could be seen as muder also, true people die in combat intentionally and accidentally nevertheless none of the deaths should be through acts of out right viciousness.

Unfortunately killing is a part of war, killing Absalom was justifiable. However David didn't, his desire to place (2 Samuel 19:11 - 14) Amasa, as his captain of the host instead of Joab was a political move, however I do not believe it was politically motivated.

(2 Samuel 18:1-19:8) Why does David command mercy for Absalom in the battle?

David he really love his son

Joab was full of revenge

The people will desert him

They were unfaithful, the were suppose to be on his side no matter what?

What does it say about David’s faith?

He was still trusting in God

David had mourned the deaths of two sons already. He loved Absalom even though his aim was to dethrone and kill his father. I think David felt on some level that his poor job as a father, made him somewhat responsible for Absalom's rebellion and hatred.

Joab's role was to assist and provide guidance to David. Until Absalom was dead, David's life and throne would be in danger. He saw it as his duty to end the hostile takeover and to protect David.

Joab told David that "You love those who hate you (Absalom!!!) and you hate those who love you!" (The men who risked their lives in battle against Absalom's army to save David and his throne). They felt ashamed of their victory, in that David was not only ungrateful and self absorbed in his grief, but that he would have preferred them dead and his son alive. Joab told him, and rightly so, that he would be without an army if he continued thus, and to go and speak to those loyal troops who must have been stunned and confused by his contempt for their sacrifice while loudly grieving his son, and ignoring their victory on his behalf!

They loved their King! They wanted to support and protect him. Disloyal followers may have turned and attacked such weakness and foolishness as David was displaying. They stayed true, in spite of their victory being turned into a day of mourning, added to their humiliation as they slinked shamefaced into town as deserters would do.

I don't see David's faith here, only guilt, remorse, self absorption, and lack of concern for those who loved and supported him. David knew and had written about how God opposes the proud, and had seen the monument Absalom had raised for himself so his name would be remembered. Faith would have acknowledged that God's will was to remove this troublesome son and hindrance to His revealed will for David's throne, and to grieve privately the death, and his own failure to discipline Absalom. (the years of silent treatment were not discipline, but were cruel torture and were where the seeds of his hatred for his father were sown.)

About his weaknesses?

David was both a warrior and a worshipper! However this behavior shows none of those strengths of character. Warriors fight to win, and in his weakness, fatigue, fear and confusion, his emotion was on the wrong side of the battle! I love David and his heart for God, and I love that the Lord in writing the Bible does not hesitate to show us the humanity, and weaknesses of His own, as well as their faith and strengths when displayed. This season in David's life reveals more of his flaws than his faith.

David commands mercy for Absalom in the battle because of his ususal weakness of failing to discipline members of his family for their wrong doings.

Joab kills Absalom against David's orders because he knows Absalom will do anything even to kill David in order to remain at the throne.

David's loud mourning threaten his kingdom as the people, especially his soldiers, might think that he cares about Absalom than then. The soldires might also think that, David preferred them dead than Absalom.

Although his followers are loyal, the loyality might change if they think David does not care about them.

David has faith in the Lord.

About his weaknesses?

He still shows his weaknesses when it comes to family members.

I think that David commanded mercy for Absalom in the battle because it was his son. He still loved him and didn’t want to wish him any harm.

Joab killed Absalom in the battle against David’s orders because he knew that even though Absalom lost the battle he would again try to take over the kingdom. This was removing one big problem for David.

The way that David’s loud mourning threatened his kingdom was that the men thought they had done a great job and all David cared about was his son and not them. Since David doesn’t care for them then it is time to leave. His followers were loyal but they have got to have respect for the person that they are following.

Again the faith of David can’t be broken but his weaknesses would have dethroned him if it hadn’t been for Joab.

David is a compassionate father and king, Perhaps he doesn't want to see another son dead, which is reasonable. Joab was "delivering" David from his enemy(ies). It humiliates David's men to hear him mourning aloud because they have killed for him-they seem very loyal...but disobedient(?)

David commands mercy for Absalom in the battle because he is a weak father and has never punished his children as he should. I'm sure David feels guilty of never being around his children. The life that his children had growing up was an invitation to disaster. I'm sure their mother never took much interest in discipling them either. It seems that David carries the guilt of his sin with Bathsheba to the point where it is hard to correct the sinful things that his sons do.

Because he knows that David is weak in this area and that it would be a huge mistake if Absalom were captured and let off easy by David. Joab takes care of the job.

Davids people hear him mourning and going on for Absalom. After they risk their lives and support him to the end David is acting like he would give them all up for Absalom. It could have backfired in his face and turned on him.

They were faithful and loyal but there does come a point where you must protect yourself and they were probably beginning to wonder if David had lost his mind. Were they next to be chop suey?

I don't know because I'm not sure that I have the previous questions correct. But, let's say that I do. I believe that David is maintaining his faith that God will take care of him and continue with the covenant but he is hoping and trying to control the situation by requesting that Absalom not be killed.

About his weaknesses?

David has gone soft. We all do in later years. He's never been strong when it came to controlling his children. That is his weakness.

David command mercy for Absalom in the battle because he was his son and he truly loved him.

Joab kill Absalom against David’s orders because he felt that Absalom who wanted to kill David should die instead.

David’s loud mourning threaten his kingdom at a time when the people should be rejoicing and welcoming him back to his place as King he's demonstration remorse for his enemy and disregarded the feelings of the people.

This says that his followers’ were indeed loyal to him, but they want a strong leader.

This reaction say that David, knowing that he was the Lord's anointed continued to trust God.

About his weaknesses?

David's weakness is brought under control.

Joab was ruthless and killed Absalom. David had failed as a father, but was a strong leader. David cried as a father remembering his failure which lead to the destruction of his son. David's mourning creates fear in David's people and Joab saved David's kingdom by killing his son so after a bousterious talk by Joab David unenthustatically goes out to his followers and they eventually elect him as their King.

1. Absalom is his son and he loved him. David probably blames himself for the way he turned out.

2. Joab knows that David was weak when it came to his son and would have mercy on him.

3. David's loud mourning showed the king to be weak. It also showed humiliation to his men because David did not thank them for saving his life. It seems that he was not appreciative if what they did.

4. They were loyal to David, but if he had not shown that he appreciated what they had did their loyality might have change.

5. David still had faith even in his moment of weakness.