JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Joab's Character

Q4. (2 Samuel 16-20) What does this passage teach us about David’s character and faith? What does it reveal about Joab’s character? What kind of faith do you see in Joab? What does this passage teach us about the importance of friends? Is Joab really David’s friend?

• 3 months later...

What does this passage teach us about David's character and faith? David has strong faith and a warrior's character.

What does it reveal about Joab's character? As ruthless as he is; he makes results oriented decisions and executes them, literally!!

What kind of faith do you see in Joab? He is his own faith.

What does this passage teach us about the importance of friends? We can't do anything without them.

Is Joab really David's friend? He is a warrior first but no doubt has David's best interest in mind at all times. Yes, he is a friend indeed.

What does this passage teach us about David's character and faith?

His faith is still strong, but he is not going with on battles anymore, he relies on his friends.

What does it reveal about Joab's character?

He is loyal, but he is looking out for his own interest as well. He doesnt mind to kill to better his own position

What kind of faith do you see in Joab?

He believes in his own logic and ability

What does this passage teach us about the importance of friends?

We must have friends, but we have to know our fiends as well.

Is Joab really David's friend?

Yes, but he is his own friend as well, he does what is best for himself, and then what is best for David

Q4. (2 Samuel 16-20) What does this passage teach us about David's character and faith?

This teaches me that "MERCY" and "HUMILITY" are character traits of David, he displayed compassion, kindly forbearance toward his offenders, and he is a man of ethical standards and principles.

It teaches me that David is a "MEEK" man, meekness to others may appear to be that of "WEAKNESS", but in reality, it is "POWER THAT IS UNDER CONTROL".

Meek behavior is presented as being opposite of the "NATURAL MAN".

It revealed to me the heart of Joab was that of "THE NATURAL MAN", he displayed a character that centered around "SELF", a man who desires was that of vengeance instead that of "MERCY".

Joab's faith was placed in "SELF" as he walked in his own "WISDOM".

What a sad revelation is that of a man, who does not desire to walk after that of God.

A friend would be there and will mourn with you when in mourning, they will be there in the good times and bad, a friend will be loyal and trustworthy; this teaches me the importance of having good friends - is a "TREASURE" for sure.

"NO"!

If Joab fits into the definition of "FRIEND" then please, I do not want any friends.

It showed David's compassion and his honesty and reliance on God.

Joab, on the other hand, had his own agenda.

Joab did not show much faith at all, but had military wisdom.

Friends are a necessity.

Joab was a friend to David as long as it suited his agenda. He wouldn't have been considered a trusted friend.

Q4. (2 Samuel 16-20) What does this passage teach us about David’s character and faith?

David's character is revealed in how he dealt with the people who opposed him and were seemingly disloyal. He showed mercy when he could just as easily have had them killed. His faith in God is evident in his actions also. By taking the high moral ground he acknowledges that his reclaimation of the throne is down to God's help and not David's own resourcefulness.

What does it reveal about Joab’s character?

Joab is impetuous, but that's needed at times of severe trouble. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Joab is a man who will do what has to be done without flinching. Murdering his cousin was out of line though. Still, in those times there were two ways to advance yourself in the military: Bybeing promoted, or by killing the guy in front of you.

I see Joab as a man who has faith in God and faith in David. He knows with certainty that God is with David and he sees his role as that of the enforcer of God's will, albeit interpreted through his own idea of justice and retribution.

You gotta have friends. Without them it's often too hard to make your way in life.

Is Joab really David’s friend?

Most definitely. Joab has laid his life on the line for David for decades. His loyalty has never been in question. He maybe a hard man, but he loves David with all his heart.

Q4. (2 Samuel 16-20) What does this passage teach us about David’s character and faith?

Davids faith is steadfast and unwavering, through his life, time after time, he relies on God. He loves God with all his heart, David is not a man who is afraid to love. We see this in his great love for God, his love for Saul, his great love for Jonathan, Absalom, and countless others whom he has loved and shown mercy. I believe this is his greatest attribute. I know the words "David is a man after God's own heart" have become a theme of sorts for the lesson(s) of David's life.I believe that is because David's heart is his best character trait.

1 John 4:16: God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.

God chose David at a very young age, possibly 12-13, just as he chose the virgin Mary at a very young age (13-14) to carry His Son. God knows a young heart is the most impressionable, the most vulnerable, pure, eager to receive the teachings of the Holy Spirit. Through both David and Mary, whom are young and untouched by the evils of the world, came the Mighty Savior of all mankind! How Awesome is GOD??? It is no coincidence that these two chosen people were of such a young age, and chosen from the 'least of those' of little worldly stature( David a young Shepard boy, Mary a young pheasant girl).

Matthew 19:14 Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

Matthew 20:30 "So the last will be first, and the first will be last."

God has a plan in David's life ( and Mary's and ours, as well). In his plan are countless lessons for all us, not just David. It's part of the mystery of God. Keep seeking.Knock and the door will be opened. David was relentless in faith and love. David is a great example of faith and Godly love and we can all learn a lot from David victories, his trials, tribulations and the greatest love of all, Godly love!

David's faith grows and he grows in good character and love while in his apprenticeship for the kingship. We see how David is molded and 'chiseled' by God to take on the task. We see David grow into power through the Power of God. Then God reminds us and DAVID, who is superior, he reminds us that God and only God is the great, I AM. Through David's downfall he shows us that David is mere man, nothing more, nothing less. He stumbles, he suffers, he gets back up again and again. Nothing separates him from the love of God. Though his faith becomes complacent at times in his life, he learns his lessons well, he accepts his punishment ( God's wrath )and takes responsibility for his own actions. He is accountable to God.This is a great lesson for us to learn. Though troubles come, though we may become complacent for a short while, don't stay in that spot. Don't stagnate. Jesus said "You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. Always return to our Mighty Savior, our Master, to the Glory of God be true! Through the Davidac covenant God promised David the ultimate promise, the Supreme and Sovereign Promise that his descendant would endure forever, conquer death for all of mankind, sit at the right hand of God forever. This promise is fulfilled through Jesus Christ. David's life is a lesson in Godly love and faith.

What does it reveal about Joab’s character? His faith?

Joab was a man with his OWN agenda. The narrator doesn't say much about Joab's faith. I believe it is because he is a man of little or no faith.He is perhaps agnostic. Indifferent. He is however loyal to David to an extent, that being said, time after time we see his loyalty as having an ulterior motive which benefits himself. Eg. when he kills Absalom ( he defies Davids order not to kill his son) he does it to assure David's safety but in his mind, and most importantly to him, I believe it is to assure his position as David's high commander. As long as David is king and the kingdom is secure under David's rule, Joab believes he will be David first hand man. Since he is also a cousin to David, perhaps he believes the kingdom could someday fall into his own hands. But, oh, is he ever in for a big SURPRISE. When David appoint Amasa as his high general in command. We see Joab's true colors once again, as when he killed Abner, by tricking and deceiving him, and again when he kills Absalom ( defying David's direct order) and then Amasa. He is selfish, self absorbed, narcissistic. In modern day terms we might deem him a sociopath, void of conscience.

What does this passage teach us about the importance of friends? Is Joab a good friend?

many have said they felt Joab was a good friend. I don't really think that's the case. While i think him to be loyal to david. I don't see a great freindship develop there. It is more an allegiance and an impetuous one at that.

It is important to pick and choose our friends carefully. God relates this lesson countless times in the Bible. A few verses I can think of are:

Matthew 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Matthew 10:14 If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town.

Acts 13:51 So they shook the dust from their feet in protest against them and went to Iconium.

Joab always has his own best interest in mind. Sometimes God puts people in our lives who are not trustworthy. I don't question why God does this, God is God and I am NOT. I think he wants us to be able to be strong enough in our faith and walk with the Holy Spirit to be able to discern who is bad and who is Godly. If we gently try to steer a non believer to God and he resist, and tries to 'fool' you with a false doctrine, Shake the dust off you feet and don't look back, for they may well be your enemy and God's enemy as well. Genesis 19:26 But Lot's wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt. Be true to God a true friend will always have your best interest in mind, always examine a a friend heart, seek God's discernment and will through your friendships and fellowship with others.

Q4. (2 Samuel 16-20) What does this passage teach us about David’s character and faith? What does it reveal about Joab’s character? What kind of faith do you see in Joab? What does this passage teach us about the importance of friends? Is Joab really David’s friend?

This passage shows that David was a man of mercy and integrity. Some of the people he spared when he didn't have to. He remained in faith that his favor as King would be returned, but I don't see that he was totally dependent on God in this. Perhaps it was just wisdom and discernment in challenging others, but it seems to me that he would have been totally dependent on God in his earlier years to be reinstated as King.

Joab's character is appalling. He wanted what he wanted and took it in evil ways.

I don't see any faith in Joab. He relied on himself.

Friends are important to keep us on track and to remind us of our dependence on God. We rely on good discernment and good character in our friends. They live lives of Godliness and encourage us to do that also. They love us and desire the best for us. They are humble and submitted to God.

No....Joab was not David's friend. He had himself in mind in everything he did and he did it with evil intent in his heart.

A. David had learned in the grace and mercy of the Lord, even though he did not know what lay ahead for him. God assumes full respinsibility for our needs when we obey Him

B. The full- of-faith David is most visible when times are tough-fighting Goliath,escaping Saul's army, recovering his family from the Amalekites, and fleeing from Absalom.

C. David was clearly a man after God'S heart. one way this is show. In his traits of grace, mercy, patience, kindness, and also justice.

(These are also some of the fruits of the Spirit--Galatians 5:22,evident in the lives of those who obey God-Acts 5:32).

A. Joab was such a vicious opponent: He was also extremely strong,ambitious, loyal & very successful commanding officer for David.

He continued to gain power over David, leading the Army into battle and conquering people's around them.

Joab--The final opportunity fell to Joab, when David having sinned in the matter of Uriah's wife Bathsheba, sent a message to Joab to withdraw from Uriah in the heat of the battle, so that he would be killed. Joab nownhad a hold on David as partner with him in the murder of Uriah(As a loyal commander Joab acceded to David's directive to have Uriah killed)

B. Joab deeply involved in bring Absalom home from exile. This can be seen as protecting his future position or the dynasty.

C. Joab could be construed as killing a rebel. He no longer protecting David, but himself.

A. Our true friends are those who rally around us when we're down and they have nothing to gain by the friendship. Friends show generosity in our times of trouble.

B. Friendship: Ecclessiastes 4:9-12

Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not one another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they will keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him a threefold cord is not quickly broken

No! and David knew .

As his death drew near, King David advised his son Solomom, who he chose to become his royal successor , to waste no time dealing with his cousin Joab. "Moreover you know also what Joab the son of Zeruiah did to me, and what he did to the two captains of the hosts of Israel, unto Abner the son of Ner, and unto Amasa the son of Jether , whom he slew,and she'd the blood of war in peace, and put the blood of war upon his girdle that was about his loins, and his shoes that were on his feet. Do therefore according to thy wisdom, and let not his hoary head go down to the grave in peace".

Rhndwsh aka Rhndwsh53

David desired to do what was right, he had a humble character.

Joabs character seems all over the board to me. Sometimes I see loyalty, friendship and others Joab thinking about Joab. He also had a lot of blood on his hands.

Certainly not faith like David had in God. Maybe it was there however I think it competed with Joab's faith in Joab.

Friends are nice and I believe God sends friends when we need them. There is also "a Friend that sticketh closer than a brother" and He is the one we really need.

Is Joab really David's friend? I have a hard time saying yes and a hard time saying no. He is sort of inbetween sometimes so I guess I might say sometimes yes and sometimes no and that is a hard 'friend' to depend on.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13<p class="ipsLikeBar right clearfix" id="rep_post_77208">

David had integrity of character, and was a man of his word (Mephibosheth is a beautiful example!). David was a man of faith, and like most of us, his faith ebbed and flowed at times depending upon the pressure and circumstances.

Joab had lousy character, shaky at best....an opportunist, and untrustworthy..

Joab was a secular man, and a conniver, who operated in the flesh and did what was good for himself and his long range plans.

Choose them carefully and prayerfully! Friends are a blessing and a gift from the Lord, but we are told to "put no confidence in the flesh", and to rely completely on "the Friend who sticks closer than a brother", and who will "never leave us or forsake us". Friends can offer fellowship, comfort, help, insight, companionship, as we can to them, but only the Lord can be counted on in every situation to be faithful and to have our best interests at heart, always!

No, he was not David's friend. He was treacherous, and a betrayer; A man of blood, wily, always seeking to further his own situation.

Q4. (2 Samuel 16-20) What does this passage teach us about David's character and faith? What does it reveal about Joab's character? What kind of faith do you see in Joab? What does this passage teach us about the importance of friends? Is Joab really David's friend?

David was a merciful leader who refused to take revenge but granted mercy.

Joab though remained loyal to king David could not tolerate any demotion. He felt that King David was not fair to him because he was the one who snatched his kingdom back from Absalom. He therefore murdered the new commander of the army, Amasa.

His loyalty to King David despite his demotion showed his un-relented friendship that seemed genuine.

Q4. (2 Samuel 16-20)

David is really a man of many contrasts. He comes across as both a sinner and a saint. A man who can write such beautiful psalms that show such great insights; a man approved of God and who was “fully devoted to the Lord (1 Kings 15:3). A man God took from obscurity and made him king of Israel and Judea. But also a man who showed such immoral behaviour by committing the terrible sin of adultery with Bathsheba, and on top of this, the evil cruel act of murdering Uriah. He was a brilliant military strategist and a very brave man. It is easier for me to look upon David’s good side of his character which I think outweighs his weaknesses. In his personal life we see his emotions all mixed up; loving those who he should have hated and hating those he should have loved – this resulting in serious injustices being committed. We see God’s love and forgiveness working in David’s life. Joab was a true friend to David. Besides being an effective commander who advanced David’s interests, he was not afraid to confront David with good and strong advice. Joab’s execution of Absalom did temporarily cost him his position as commander, but his rebuke of the king showed strength of character. He was ruthless in achieving his objectives, as seen with the murder of Abner, Absalom, and Amasa. However, he was extremely loyal to David.

David's character, his temperament, his disposition, his spirit, his moral fiber, remains unchanged as it relates interactions with others. He exercises mercy, he extends grace, he exercise wisdom, kindness, and justice. It teaches us that David is a humble / meek man.

Perhaps I am missing the question as it relates to his faith, however it could be interpreted that as he strive to be a just man, a man when the time arise to impose judgment whom exercises wisdom, mercy, and grace. Since he believes in God that these traits / characteristics conveys his faith as it relates to the Character of God.

In this instance one could say that jealous or insecurity was exposed as a facet of his character. He killed Amasa. Had Amasa' complete the task assigned he would have gain the favor of David, he justified David's removal of Joab. Joab kills Amasa', takes over the campaign and wins the hurt of the men on assignment. He is a leader, he can command men in / at war. Loyalty was another side of his character that was revealed, he did not seek to rebel, as he had did in past times all that he did, did as he deemed best for David.

Joab's name means “The LORD is Father.” The Scriptures does not cover his entire life moment by moment, however it is ironic as the Scriptures reveal moments of his life we can see at times he failed to look to God for direction, fatherly guidance and wisdom.

Joab knew of God, when he checked David as David mourned loudly he referenced God. He fought in many battles with David for the honor of God and His people, Joab knew of God. Many today are likewise, unfortunately there are some who say that they are of the Lord and that they KNOW Him, yet their actions, their behavior does not reflect that they do.

Joab's faith, his belief, his trust in this instant was based on his wisdom, his ability, his strength alone.

I do not get the connection as it relates to friendship, nevertheless I believe that friendship is a very necessary part of anyone's life. We were created to be relational beings, we need to have relationship both horizontal and vertical.

We know from the Scriptures that he was David's relative, we also know that he had leadership responsibilities while under David's charge. There isn't a mention of him being David's friend. having said that there are not many instances where a distinctions of who was or who wasn't David's friends are mentioned. In this life people have what is termed as good friends and there are some that are termed as bad friends. I don't know if Joab was a friend or not, what I can say is that he was someone that God and David allowed in David's life. What I can say is that Joab was at times a sounding board in David's life.

Q4. (2 Samuel 16-20)

This passage teaches us how David was slow to make decision even when danger was eminent. He remains faithful to the Lord.

Joab is a worrior, a man of action.

Joab's faith is in David.

It teaches us the readiness of a true friend to protect a friend.

I think Joab is really David's friend.

This passage is teaching us that David still has his faith in God but his character probably needs a little work. It shows that he can compromise in order to succeed at what he wants but he still doesn’t discipline those who betray him.

Joab’s character is that of one of do anything to get what you want. He knows that he is immune to all punishment. I think that Joab’s faith is on himself. I see no indication of his belief in God.

This passage teaches us that we need to be diligent in picking our friends. I don’t think that Joab is really David’s friend but only uses David to get away with the things that he does.

David is trying to be more faithful and levelheaded. Joab seems to be wild and careless with what he says and does- but this fulfills a purpose later in Scripture because Solomon is to rule after David. Friends should be people we can trust and if God has placed them in our lives we shouild have respect for them, Esteem them.

This passage teaches us that David vacilates between fully trusting in God and the arm of flesh.

Joab was a selfish and seeks to accomplish his own goals.

Joab's faith is in his accomplishments.

Loyal friends are important for accomplishing your goal.

Joab is David's friend but must have his way.

Joab had seen Sheba destroying David's kindom. Joab comes into David's kingdom causing havvoc while Sheba is travelling through all the tribal areas on his way, trying to gain support. He has no organization, so he is ineffective, but he does his best to turn people away from David to his own leadership. The negotiator for the city of Abel Beth Maacah turns out to be a "wise woman." This gives us some indication of how women were sometimes able to function at a high level within the culture of the time. She negotiates with Joab who wants only Sheba's head which was thrown over the wall to him and he left. I think David and Joab have a strong faith and friendship. I believe true friends do support each other and come to each others rescue when necessary, but don't need to be with them in their presents. all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

What does this passage teach us about David’s character and faith?

1. David is still true to doing the right thing and his faith is still strong.

What does it reveal about Joab’s character? What kind of faith do you see in Joab?

2. Joab's still is bitter, wants things to go his way and has no forgivness. I do believe he still loves David. Joab does not display any faith. He seems to lean on his own accomplishments.

What does this passage teach us about the importance of friends? Is Joab really David’s friend?

3. We must be careful in choosing our friends. Even friends should not come before God. It's hard to say if he was a friend or not. He went against David's command yet he still fought for him.

• 5 weeks later...

Q4. (2 Samuel 16-20)

What does this passage teach us about David’s character and faith?

a) David was a forgiving, merciful, and humble man. He would display

mercy towards offenders when they could have been put to death.

He was faithful to God always.

B) I see Jaob as one who did what was best for him most of the time,

but he was faithful to David, helping him in the commanding of the warriors.

Jaob also at times did not follow David's orders, instead, doing what "he"

felt was right. So I do not see Jaob as truly a man of God, doing God's will.

c) Jaob's faith is not strong in the Lord. He thinks more about what he

wants and does, not what God wants from him.

d) True friends will stand by you in good and badtimes. They will give aid

as they can and not ask for anything in return. True friends are loyal and

trustworthy and Invaluable.

e) I think Jaob is David's friend, just not a completely true friend. He

often goes against David's orders. But all he does is for David and his

ability to lead and rule Israel. Joab values and will do anything to keep

his position as commander, even murder.

• 4 weeks later...

Q4. (2 Samuel 16-20) What does this passage teach us about David's character and faith? What does it reveal about Joab's character? What kind of faith do you see in Joab? What does this passage teach us about the importance of friends? Is Joab really David's friend?

These Joab actions are really war events of major importance to David. Joab showed he was 'wise' in the ways of war first for David, then for himself; he then became a ruthless power seeker and picked "his initial spot well"He shows he is a man of blood, a warrior.

Once David decided to use Amasa, Joab decided to pick his spot to overcome the King's political approach to uniting his shattered country. Still God forgave him and Solomon was to come, and that is another story in itself. So Joab is no longer David's friend this is clear.

• 2 months later...

4a)David has many good qualities,perseverance, loyalty, leadership skill, with strong faith, eager to seek God’s will and constant love for God even when tested.He didn’t kill Shemei for cursing him. He had weaknesses to, but showed humility and repentance and ability to amend actions most of the time when realised his errors, apart from disciplining his family.
b)Joab is a warrior first, that exhibits strong loyalty to David,ability to take initiative and make decisions he feels is for the good of the David & his kingdom.
c)Joab showed faith in himself, even when disobeying David, he acted in what he thought David best interests &his own.
d) We need true friends and their loyalty is impt.
e)I believe Joab is a friend to David,although he had his own interest at heart too,so not a totally trusted friend.