JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Strong Opposition in Thessalonica

Q1. (Acts 17:1-10) Why do you think there was so much strong opposition to Paul’s ministry in Thessalonica? Why do you think Paul keeps preaching the gospel, even though there is often a violent reaction against him? Does a violent reaction to our ministry necessarily mean we should stop?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Acts 17:1-10) Why do you think there was so much strong opposition to Paul's ministry in Thessalonica? Why do you think Paul keeps preaching the gospel, even though there is often a violent reaction against him? Does a violent reaction to our ministry necessarily mean we should stop?

The strong opposition to Paul's ministry in Thessalonian was because a large number of people who were both Jews and non Jews converted to Christianity and followed Paul and Silas. This resulted in both numerical and financial strength to the Jewish synagogue and hence jealousy and hatred arose.

He was commissioned by the Lord Jesus to preach the Good news of salvation and he was thus bound by that commission no matter the cost.

No. A violent reaction to our ministry does not mean we should stop.

Throughout the new testament I see the same opposition from the religious leaders of the day anytime the disciples would begin to draw others closer to their Christian teachings. I believe this strong opposition is born of very humanistic traits found on most of us - pride, arrogance, jealousy and perhaps, in it's own way, greed.

Paul is someone I admire and it is through him I am able to see the awesomeness of The Triune God. Paul has such a love for Christ and for his brethren that he is vigilant, even to the point of persecution, to get the Gospel out to them. I fear I haven't the same level of courage and, in many ways, pray that is thru studies like this one that my relationship with Christ will arrive at such a level of dedication, committment and courage.

And even tho I know in my heart a violent reaction to my ministry doesn't necessitate stopping it, as stated above, I fear it would. Hopefully I shall never find out.

Guest TIMarquez

There was jealous caused because the Jewish people did not have the Holy Spirit. There was a hardness of their heart that caused an unbelief. Several times when Jesus taught them he called them: "You brood of vipers", "You children of the Asp". They are children of the world and there father is Satan not God. There are many worldly factors operating in them and a true Love of God is not one of them. Jesus told us if you know me then you know my Father, if you don't know me you don't know my Father.

Paul experienced the Living God on the Road to Damascus and subsequent direction and moving of the Scales from his eyes.Listen to what God told Ananias about Paul: “he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel: For I will show him how great things he must suffer for my name’s sake” (Acts 9:15,16). In Acts 26:17, in his defense before King Agrippa, Paul says that he was sent to the Gentiles by God. His experience with Jesus was life transforming and there was nothing that was going to stop him. He called it a light affliction and his reward with Christ was far greater then what man could say or do to him.

We have to remember that the World as the times progress what was done to the prophets, and leaders who were proclaiming the gospel. They were killed, persecuted, jailed and many other atrocities. Jesus said if they did it to them they would do it to us, that great is our reward in heaven for that. We are not separated from the love of Christ because of it and that is the greater reward that we keep his commandments. We are to not be ashamed but to Glorify God because of it.

Why do you think there was so much strong opposition to Paul's ministry in Thessalonica?

Paul is teaching something new, different that is against the teaching of the Jews. This is a new religion that talks about Jesus, the Holy Spirit, relationships instead of deeds. Not only were Paul and his team costing the Jews money and prestige, but they were also telling everybody that what they taught for a living was wrong. They said what they lived for was false. It is no wonder the Jew's leaders were so against the teaching of Christ and of Paul.

How wonderful that so many Jews believed even though their leaders were against them. I have simpathy for the Jewish leaders. I wonder many times what our church leaders of today will do when Christ returns. So many of us see our church members as belonging to our church instead of belonging to the Body of Christ, thus to Jesus. We protect our church's income instead of focussing on building God's Kingdom.

We must learn from the Jewish leaders and be obedient to God, and follow the guidence of the Holy Spirit.

Why do you think Paul keeps preaching the gospel, even though there is often a violent reaction against him?

He doesn't have a choice. Once you are filled with the Holy Spirit and start sharing the Word you can't stop. The Live within you have to come out, your Light have to shine, Living Water have to flow from you, you have to allow the Holy Spirit to use you no matter what. It comes naturally, it gives you joy to share the Word. Further, it is our mission given to every Christian from Jesus, we have to be fishers of men.

Paul was just being obedient to the calling that came from within. He really when the extra mile to earn his reward in heaven. He set a beautiful example for us all.

Does a violent reaction to our ministry necessarily mean we should stop?

NO!!!!

We have to be obedient to the guidence of the Holy Spirit. Sometimes we have to be quiet and hand it over to God. Most times we have to be "Kings and priest" We have to take control of the situation and teach why something is wrong and how to correct it. Yet we must do it in humbleness to the guidence from God. When we take control we have to be self confident in what we do because of the guidence we receive from the Holy Spirit and because of the support we receive from God, definately not on our own abilities.

Other times we must just continue to spread the Word of God somewhere else. God will tell us clearly what He wants from us. Many times strong opposition is part of our sanctification. Our character and experiance becomes stronger because God is teaching and building us through experience.

We must never stop completely, it is our duty to spread the Word of God, but we must do it obediently, within the will of God, not on our own ideas

Well, the scripture itself says they were envious (jealous). I think that they were afraid that they'd lose their power over the people but also because they were in the flesh and they may have thought that this was just another false religion or cult which would steal people away from Judaism.

Paul keeps on preaching the gospel of God because he knows that the gospel is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes and he knows that he has been called by God to preach the gospel no matter what the situation as Paul is so grateful to God for his own salvation. He knows that this gospel is the truth.

The gospel is to be preached to all men everywhere so that they may believe and sometimes the gospel is not welcome because people are not willing to repent or hear or accept the gospel and they sometimes act violently to it. But the gospel must be preached because it is ordained by God and it's the Good News and teaches of Jesus who is the way, the truth and the life and no one comes to the Father except through Him. So therefore, we should never stop preaching the gospel but if a group of people don't want to hear it then we leave them and go somewhere else to preach the gospel, we can pray for them and come back another time if the Spirit leads.

Q1. (Acts 17:1-10) Why do you think there was so much strong opposition to Paul’s ministry in Thessalonica? Why do you think Paul keeps preaching the gospel, even though there is often a violent reaction against him? Does a violent reaction to our ministry necessarily mean we should stop?

I think there was so much strongs opposition to the Apostle Paul's ministry in Thessalonica because Satan will never allow the proclamation of the good news of Jesus Christ to go forth without a fight. His message to the Jews was causing conviction in some of them and a great multitude were being persuaded. Those who opposed, the Devil used to cause dissension and attacks against Paul and his brethern. The Apostle Paul is on a mission from God and in spite of opposition he continues to proclaim the good news even though there was violent reaction against him. Today, violent reactions to our ministry should not necessarily mean that we should stop. Instead, we should take Paul as our example and find another place as the Holy Spirit directs.

Why do you think there was so much strong opposition to Paul's ministry in Thessalonica?

As Paul preached, he persuaded many Jews and many favorable Greeks which made the Jews Jealous. The Jews were filled with such rage as to cause a riot. Remembering the militant messianic movement, the Jews were willing to even go to the house that he stayed at to dray Paul out. Also there was the fact of "less people, less money".

Why do you think that Paul keeps preaching the gospel, even though there is often a violent reaction against him?

Paul knows the truth! Paul knows that all people need to know Jesus! And Paul knows that God is with him as he preaches the truth. Paul later wrote to Timothy saying, preach the gospel "in season and out of season", meaning to preach all the time.

NO - I think it means that we must be doing some good. When the "world" reacts against us, it means that we are preaching and teaching the truth.

Q1. (Acts 17:1-10) Why do you think there was so much strong opposition to Paul's ministry in Thessalonica?

God’s word tells us, and it is a great lesson for us today.

“ENVY” was in the heart of those Judeans in Thessalonica of whom DID NOT BELIEVE Paul’s teaching from the scriptures, that the Messiah must first suffer and die, and will be raised from the dead.

Why did they not believe?

Because they were not as those Judean’s who were more noble (higher in rank) in Berea, for they received, accepted what Paul was teaching in the synagogue of the Jews, because their hearts were READY TO HEAR and to LISTEN for the TRUTH, the reason being they SEARCHED the scriptures, the Old Testament DAILY, whether the teaching of Paul was true - that the Messiah must suffer and rise again from the dead.

I believe Paul must have used the scriptures - Isaiah 52:13-53:12 and Psalm 16:8-11, for most of the Jewish people were looking for the king, political liberation to come first.

We too must search the scriptures daily, so that our hearts will be ready to hear and to understand the “TRUTH”, so that we will believe in what the “Old Testament” tells us about the Jewish Messiah.

Why do you think Paul keeps preaching the gospel, even though there is often a violent reaction against him?

I believe it was because the Jewish Paul was full of POWER that of the Holy Spirit, for man cannot do this in the flesh, for the flesh says “you cannot” while God says “you can do all things in me”.

What it means to me is - I must STOP to hear the small voice of God, and follow his leading whatever may befall me.

1-There was such strong opposition to Paul's ministry in Thessalonica because many people were being converted and also money was a factor. Many of the Greeks or non-Jews who were not yet fully proselytes were major contributors financially. Therefore if the finances all but stopped it would have had a strong impact on the synagogues and its finances.

2-Paul keeps preaching the gospel because he fears God rather than men. He had a name change by God from Saul to Paul and an encounter with Jesus one day while on the road to Damascus. Jesus the Son of God, called Paul His "chosen vessel to bear His name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel" (Acts 9:16).

It was because of his Damascus road experience and the reverential fear of God rather than men that drove Paul to continue even in the midst of being persecuted.

He believed what he was preaching and could prove it with Scriptures, that the Christ had to suffer and rise from the dead. After Paul's conversion, he was given a heart of such love for the loss that he felt compelled to keep preaching the gospel whether it cost him his life or not. He knew in the end that it would be worth it all. He used the zeal that he once had in destroying anyone who would follow Christ to now win the lost at any cost.

3-No, a violent reaction to our ministry doesn't necessarily mean we should stop. That is exactly what the devil wants..He wants us to give up and be fearful. He will go to any length to try and discourage us from doing what God called us to do. The devil doesn't want people saved, delivered, and set free. His mission is to kill, steal, and destroy. We serve a God who is mighty to save and protect us. Romans 8:31b says if God be for us who can be against us. 1 Jh 4:4 says greater is He who is in us than he who is in the world. As we are being led by the Spirit of God He will show us what to do. He will give us the power, strength,and courage to persevere. We like Paul should be willing to say " I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek (Rom. 1:16).

Q1. (Acts 17:1-10) Why do you think there was so much strong opposition to Paul’s ministry in Thessalonica?

Jealousy over the large crowds Paul was drawing, which threatened the Synagogue's numbers and therefore loss of financial support. Paul preached the gospel of salvation by grace through Jesus Christ, which infuriated the Jews who would not recognize Him as their Messiah.

After Paul's encounter with Jesus on the road to Damascus, his former zeal to destroy Christians and stop their message, was changed to zeal for the gospel. It was his life work to share with as many people as possible, first to the Jews, and when they completely rejected the message, he preached to gentiles. He considered himself a bond slave of Jesus and wanted only to serve Him.

No. Just the opposite! It means the Word of God is having an impact on the hearers, and they feel their unbelieving life/lies are being threatened or called into question. The gospel message demands an answer, not complacence and apathy, and this angers some unbelievers.

I think there was so much strongs opposition to the Apostle Paul's ministry in Thessalonica because Satan will never allow the proclamation of the good news of Jesus Christ to go forth without a fight. His message to the Jews was causing conviction in some of them and a great multitude were being persuaded. Those who opposed, the Devil used to cause dissension and attacks against Paul and his brethern. The Apostle Paul is on a mission from God and in spite of opposition he continues to proclaim the good news even though there was violent reaction against him. Today, violent reactions to our ministry should not necessarily mean that we should stop. Instead, we should take Paul as our example and find another place as the Holy Spirit directs.

I think there was so much strong opposition to the Apostle Paul's ministry in Thessalonica because Satan will never allow the proclamation of the good news of Jesus Christ to go forth without a fight. His message to the Jews was causing conviction in some of them and a great multitude was being persuaded. Those who opposed, the Devil used to cause dissension and attacks against Paul and his brethren. The Apostle Paul is on a mission from God and in spite of opposition he continues to proclaim the good news even though there was violent reaction against him. Today, violent reactions to our ministry should not necessarily mean that we should stop. Instead, we should take Paul as our example and find another place as the Holy Spirit directs.

I believe that we are to follow Paul as he followed the Lord. He knew that he was called according to the scriptures, he has/had the signs that were mentioned in our study,

He had received the gospel that was presented to him with spiritual power and miraculous manifestations.

He was welcomed by the people, and the people imitated him.

He exhibited joy in the face of persecution. He was a model for other believers, he had turned from idols to the true God and he had an expectation of Christs coming back...

I feel that facing a violent reaction to our ministry should it mean we should stop? No, if anything it should make us pursue the ministry more and become closer to God in the face of the violence.

I think there was such strong opposition in Thessalonica as Paul's teachings were a threat to the equilibrium in the city as people were being drawn away from the synagogues along with their monetry contributions.

Paul persisted with his ministry in light of violent reactions as he was fully committed to sharing the truth.

A violent reaction doesn't mean we should stop our ministry but perhaps to find different ways.

(A) Why do you think there was so much strong opposition to Paul's ministry in Thessalonica?

- Paul's ministry attracted prominent/ influential/ affluent people who were attending the synagogue. This posed a threat to what the synagogue was receiving in terms of support.

(B) Why do you think Paul keeps preaching the gospel, even though there is often a violent reaction against him?

- Paul experienced the risen LORD on his way to Damascus, hence realizing that JESUS is God, and His gospel the truth. Furthermore, he used to oppose Jesus; he was from the "other side", so probably that is one reason why he is determined to help others discover the truth the way he did.

© Does a violent reaction to our ministry necessarily mean we should stop?

- NO. On the other hand, it is expected that we will face opposition because we follow Jesus.

Why do you think there was so much strong opposition to Paul’s ministry in Thessalonica?

1. Paul's ministry was attracting a large following of non jews. This would affect the synagogue and their finances. The Jews were also jealous.

2. Paul is following orders from God. He has the faith that God will see him through his assignment.

3. No it does not. Just like Paul, if God gives us a vision or communicates with us to do something, He already has a plan in place. As long as we are doing his will we should continue.

Something I didn't see expressed in the answers here lies at the heart of the persecution, both in Thessalonica and everywhere else they preached, was the mission of Satan to destroy the Messiah. We see his work everywhere in the New Testament, from Herod to Armageddon. Yes, there was jealousy, but the real reason was much, much more diabolical. (Satan can use our human tendency to sin, too!)

Paul keeps preaching because once he had met Jesus, he had a singular vision: preach the gospel ("Occupy until I come.")

Sometimes, if we do not stop our Christian activities, we will be stopped. That, however, doesn't mean our ministry ends. When Paul was prevented by severe persecution, he simply went on to the next place and continued. Occasionally, he returned at a later date to where he had experienced persecution, and continued preaching. He was always led by the Holy Spirit. As the Jews in the wilderness, when the Holy Spirit stayed, they stayed, and when he moved, they moved.

They were losing their importance, power and some of their congregation to another man, whose teaching went against their beliefs. They had jealous hearts, that weren't open to the truth.

Paul had met Jesus on the road to Damascus and was forever transformed.He became a "bond servant" of Jesus Christ; a slave to Christ and His righteousness. He considered it an honor to suffer in the name of Jesus Christ. Preaching the gospel was an outpouring of the joy he had in Christ; it was his indenity.

No, even though that would be our natural inclination. I think a violent reaction shows that the truth of the gospel of Christ is hitting the mark. I have heard it said that "persecution is Satan's reaction to the presence of God",(truth) Although it is easier said than done! I have never had to stand up against a violent reaction to the gospel message, as Paul did and many around the world continue to experience today. That comes as a result of the power of God (Holy Spirit) working through us to accomplish His purposes.

Q1. (Acts 17:1-10)

There was strong opposition to Paul’s ministry in Thessalonica, as there was in other cities. Paul was preaching the doctrine of resurrection and telling people that Jesus is the promised Messiah. Many believed, and this was pulling people away from the synagogue’s toward Christian fellowship. The Jewish leaders became envious of Paul as this loss of members must have affected the finances of the synagogues. These unbelieving leaders then decided to spread untruths about Paul and Silas saying they were deceivers, and at the same time they used mob tactics to chase them out of town. Paul must have been a very brave man, and he needed to be if the Word was to spread in the early churches. He himself had reminded Timothy that to spread the gospel requires courage and boldness, “For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline (2 Timothy 1:7). Potential trials and persecutions did not deter him; besides our Lord Jesus had chosen him to be the apostle to the Gentiles (Acts 9:15). I think if one knows the truth and we meet violent opposition or reaction to it, surely we are to defend it with all our might.

RESPONSE TO QUESTIONS: See full post below.

The gospel of Jesus Christ will always be a threat to nonbelievers therefore opposition.

Paul was faithful in all circumstances to his Lord, Jesus Christ. His zeal for the gospel continued in spite of the opposition to it and Paul was the bringer of the gospel.

A violent reaction happens because of the threat, to those who were prone to violence and those who were easily stirred up by others. I can't answer for anyone else but I thank the Lord for those who were faithful in spite of the cost they would pay.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q1. (Acts 17:1-10)

Contrary to popular opinion, Paul was a Torah observant Jew. Not all the folks at the synagogue of the Jews were willing to listen to Paul. Supposedly folks who were not even Jews would gather in the synagogues when folks came to preach, so it is quite possible that this is where he met some of these people that this letter is written to. I am sure that by the time he got there, his popularity as a changed man had spread around the whole Middle Eastern seaboard. After all, he was once feared by so many.

Paul’s strategy was to teach about the prophecies and the sufferings of Jesus and how He had fulfilled some of what had been prophesied and Paul more than likely was helping or at least trying to even help the Jews understand the scriptures that they had in their possession during this era. It says in verse 5 of Acts 17 that they formed a mob and started a riot because they were jealous of Paul’s popularity with the folks who had come to hear him. They attacked the home of a fella by the name of Jason while they were looking for Paul and because he wasn’t there they drug that poor fella and others to stand before the city council with the accusation that they had committed treason against Caesar. They were incarcerated and released after they paid their fine but that night the folks from Thessalonica sent them away because of fear. But God bless those Bereans, they didn’t just listen to what Paul had to say, they went home and diligently searched the scriptures for themselves, rightly dividing their word like good soldiers and disciples of the cross. But those transgressing Jews followed Paul and his companions to Berea too and stirred up trouble there to so the Bereans sent Paul on his way.

Apparently Paul thought that the people in Thessalonica also searched out the word too, according to his mention of “For from you sounded out the word of the Lord not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but also in every place your faith to God-ward is spread abroad;” I also like how he mentions ‘we need not to speak any thing’, kind of reminds me of one of the better covenant promise that (Heb 8:11) And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest., kind of concept.

Paul was commissioned by God to teach the Jews that being observant to Torah was not something that one did out of their own selves but that obedience must come from the heart of a changed man, who has been given the Spirit of God to lead them. Paul knew going into his ministry that there would be opposition to him because he used to be a man who did bad things to people who didn’t observe the way that he had been taught. Paul had to be re-trained in his thinking because he found out through a very long and intense time that God intended that the gentiles be brought into the family and Paul had to explain this to the gentiles, in the opposition of Jews who had always thought themselves to be the holders of the oracles of God.

Paul’s idea of love in action produces hard work. He trusted in these people knowing that he had first grounded them in God’s word that he must have figured they would continue to be concerned with. His attention to the word ‘hope’ in our Lord Jesus Christ was probably because of a misunderstanding in this Messianic community regarding their hope in the second coming.

So often we are taught about such subjects as the Holy Spirit, the gospel, the power, the Word and conviction which seem at times boring but when they are all tied together in a balanced mix, we tend to pay more attention. The whole ’shibang’ as I often say.

NO

Q1. (Acts 17:1-10) Why do you think there was so much strong opposition to Paul’s ministry in Thessalonica?

The strong opposition in Thessalonica Paul faced was because of his teaching and preaching Jesus and that Jesus is the Christ. At this time many Jews and non- Jews did not want to believed that Jesus is the Christ, so they consider Paul's preaching and teaching false. Envy rose from the ones who didnot believed, when they seen many believed Paul's teaching about Christ.

Paul kept preaching the gospel because of his experience and relationship with Christ. Paul when he was a Pharisee and persecuting the church, he believe what he was doing was right, but when he had that experience with Christ he received the truth and he know that Christ is the hope for humanity. Paul knew that There was no other way for mankind to lived, He knew the law could not save mankind only Christ and sharing Christ was worth the persecuting so that many will experience Christ's Salvation.

Paul knew what the people was going through, he once rejected Christ and persecuted others who was teaching Christ. So now that he know the truth of Christ He is just as passion. He never wanted no one to be without God, and when he knew Christ was the only way they could have a relationship with God then it was worth the suffering and the violence he endured. Paul knew He had life after this life. He knew he had a charge to keep, and he was not going to let no one stop him from teaching and preaching Christ. Paul know that to live in Christ is gain and if he loses his life for Christ's sake that he still gain.

Does a violent reaction to our ministry necessarily mean we should stop? No, we should never let no one stop us from being a witness for Christ. We have to love the Lord with all our heart, mind and soul and Love others as ourselves. Remember We are working for God and helping carry out His redemptive plan. So like Paul, if we loses our life we still gain. Just trust God and know He is not going to put no more on us than we can bear.

Q1. (Acts 17:1-10) Why do you think there was strong oppositon to Paul's ministry in Thessalonica?

The strong opposition in Thessalonica Paul faced was because of his teaching and preaching Jesus and that Jesus is the Christ. At this time many Jews and non- Jews did not want to believed that Jesus is the Christ, so they consider Paul's preaching and teaching false. Envy rose from the ones who didnot believed, when they seen many believed Paul's teaching about Christ.

Paul kept preaching the gospel because of his experience and relationship with Christ. Paul when he was a Pharisee and persecuting the church, he believe what he was doing was right, but when he had that experience with Christ he received the truth and he know that Christ is the hope for humanity. Paul knew that There was no other way for mankind to lived, He knew the law could not save mankind only Christ and sharing Christ was worth the persecuting so that many will experience Christ's Salvation.

Paul knew what the people was going through, he once rejected Christ and persecuted others who was teaching Christ. So now that he know the truth of Christ He is just as passion. He never wanted no one to be without God, and when he knew Christ was the only way they could have a relationship with God then it was worth the suffering and the violence he endured. Paul knew He had life after this life. He knew he had a charge to keep, and he was not going to let no one stop him from teaching and preaching Christ. Paul know that to live in Christ is gain and if he loses his life for Christ's sake that he still gain.

No, we should never let no one stop us from being a witness for Christ. We have to love the Lord with all our heart, mind and soul and Love others as ourselves. Remember We are working for God and helping carry out His redemptive plan. So like Paul, if we loses our life we still gain. Just trust God and know He is not going to put no more on us than we can bear.