JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Imitation and Mentoring

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 1:5b-6a) How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian’s spiritual life? What kinds of ministry are most conducive to imitation? Why is the character of the mentor or leader so important to the health of the church? How well do people grow in Christ who aren’t part of a Christian community? In what way is your character important to your family and spiritual children?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian's spiritual life?

It is very, very important for all of us, even long time Christians. We all have to imitate Christ, Jesus gave us the perfect example, and many of the Old and New Testament men also gave us great examples of how to live, or how not to live. For a new Christian it is great to follow in a true believer's footsteps. This is why it is so important to choose your spiritual guides very carefully.

Jesus introduced the Church and He Himself is the Leader or the Head of the church. We must never forget that Jesus gave us the church with a goal. We are to support one another, correct one another when needed, share with one another and love one another. All this we learn by imitating other Christians, especially if the Holy Spirit is active within our church.

What kinds of ministry are most conducive to imitation?

Humbleness, when the church leaders live to serve one another and not to gain from each other, self sacrifice, when church leaders do what is good for the Kingdom of God, lead by the Holy Spirit, and not what is good for their own reputation, pockets, social standing and so on.

Showing love to one another, God is love, we must all love one another.

Including all, Jesus didn't reject anybody, He talked to all, even if He didn't agree with somebody, He still taught them the truth, if we don't agree with somebody we should not reject the person, we must find guidence from the Holy Spirit and act accordingly, we should not follow our own will

Spreading the Word of God all the time, Jesus taught all the time, we must teach all the time, through our words, but also through our behaviour.

Faithfulness, when we say something, we must do it, people must know they can rely on us

There are many more character traids that must show people that we are who we say we are, and that new Christians can imitate, as long as our actions are Biblical and imitate Jesus, people can imitate us as well.

Why is the character of the mentor or leader so important to the health of the church? How well do people grow in Christ who aren't part of a Christian community? In what way is your character important to your family and spiritual children?

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 1:5b-6a) How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian’s spiritual life?

Paul lived and walked His talk, and could say, follow me, as you follow Christ. I remember watching others at church when I became a new believer. That church's focus seemed to be on "fitting in". Some of what went on was not good modeling or mentoring. (In order to "fit in", you had to dress a certain way, etc). But I learned in watching others how to be faithful in service, and how to pray, etc. It's important to be a godly mentor!

Ministries who practice grace and are loving, who reflect Jesus, rather than legalism and control, which produce fear and bondage.

Why is the character of the mentor or leader so important to the health of the church?

It is said that "As the leader goes, so goes the nation". I think that's true in church as well. If there is a double standard, or the mentor has poor character, that is communicated through actions, and the standards are lowered to the followers. Lousy character produces a toxic or sick congregation.

How well do people grow in Christ who aren’t part of a Christian community?

Believers need one another...none of us are an island unto ourselves. We offer each other encouragement, prayer, friendship, accountability, love, grace, at times a word in due season. We uphold one another. The lone believer is an easy prey to the devil, just as the lamb who is always lagging behind the flock. We grow in relationship skills and our rough edges are smoothed out in community.

In what way is your character important to your family and spiritual children?

I'm aware that I'm on display as an example, so I'm cognizant of needing the Lord every minute of every day to behave as He would have me do, and to say what honors and pleases Him, as well as to treat others with kindness and care. They know I'm not perfect, nor do I try to be, nor to hide my flaws. I laugh and have fun, and extend grace and mercy to others...It's important to me to be authentic, rather than prissy and holier than thou. (I behave the same way in private as I do in public, no double standard) I pray that others see Jesus in me!

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 1:5b-6a) How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian’s spiritual life? What kinds of ministry are most conducive to imitation? Why is the character of the mentor or leader so important to the health of the church? How well do people grow in Christ who aren’t part of a Christian community? In what way is your character important to your family and spiritual children?

In the formation of a new Christian’s spiritual life imitation of a leader or mature Christian is most important the imitators learn to live sucessfully and can avoid the pitfalls just as the person they're imitating. Ministry that is most conducive to imitation is evangelism. As the person witnessing shares the good news the Protégée can be right alongside to learn the dos and don'ts of witnessing. People who are not part of a Christian community will find themself as babes in the Christian walk because their development and maturity has been stunted by lack of proper nourishment and learning that comes from Christian Fellowship and learning of those who are more mature. Character is important to our family and to spiritual children because it reveals the image of God in us.

Imitation is important in the formation of a new Christian's spiritual life as it is a guide, aiding them to follow the right path. Serving ministries are conducive to imitation as they are very open to witness. The character of the mentor/leader is so important to the health of the church as it underpins everything that that church believes and portrays.

People's growth in Christ is stunted if they are not part of a Christian community as we need the fellowship. My character is important to my family and spiritual children as they learn who I really am from my actions and I hope to show them I am trying to follow Jesus in my daily life.

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 1:5b-6a)

How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian's spiritual life?

- similar to how a child is being raised by parents, new Christians learn the necessary and appropriate actions from their spiritual parents. It helps define the "How's" of the "Should's" & "Shouldn'ts" in a tangible and practical way.

- Music, Intercessory, Ushering, and others where learning can be imparted through example.

Why is the character of the mentor or leader so important to the health of the church?

- the character of the mentor or leader is a projection of the church's spiritual health and culture, even more so how God is loved, worshipped, obeyed and served.

How well do people grow in Christ who aren't part of a Christian community?

- not balanced; "In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. (James 2:17 NIV84)". If Faith isn't exercised, then how can it impact people's lives?

- it's an INFLUENCE to their own spiritual walk as well. How I express my faith-relationship with God impacts theirs to a certain extent.

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 1:5b-6a) How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian's spiritual life?

If we who received God's word in power of the Holy Ghost than it is of great importance that we live in that power, for when trials do come our way others will see, God is alive, as we imitate, follow the Holy Spirit's leading us.

Those ministries that have turned their "WILL" over to God, allowing the Holy Spirit to lead are the ministries that are most conducive to imitation.

It is of most importance that the leaders character is one to follow, there are too many wolves in sheep clothing out there, and we are to test the spirits, to make sure they are of God, we will know them by their character, "FRUITS".

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 1:5b-6a) How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian’s spiritual life?

I believe it is the foundation of our true leadership. If one does not walk in the light of the Spirit of God, they are not going to be an example for anyone to follow. We MUST be that light on the hill that exudes the spirit of God in our everyday walk… 24-7

The only ministry is one that follows in the footsteps of Jesus, who followed in obedience to Torah, just as Paul did as well.

If you are asking about the body of Christ, the ecclesia, and the health benefits of a leader, the whole of the body follows the Spirit and not man. Right now in our present era, the gates of hell are obviously working tirelessly against the body of Christ. When the whole ecclesia figures this out, they will be united in God as Christ was united in God the Father, One and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

How well do people grow in Christ who are not part of a Christian community?

One cannot grow in Christ without the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit works individually as well as corporately. Folks who do not have a body of believers may dwindle in their spirit because they are not being joined with other likeminded folks. You can meld with the Spirit of Truth anywhere at any time on any given day or night on an individual basis. However, eating and feeding with and from one another is encouragement to the whole body. We need each other. A foot without all five toes cannot walk in perfect balance.

Very important. One must live and die for what they believe. The blessings and our righteousness are counted to us because of our faith no different than what it was to the patriarchs of our faith. Yahushua said, “ For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.”

The task of a priest, like that of a prophet, is to serve as spokesman and mediator between God and man.

The prophet speaks to man on behalf of God, the priest to God on behalf of man. The way I understand it, we are to be kings and priests upon the earth. Paul said: “Pursue love, and earnestly desire the spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy.” Paul didn’t simply say that we ought to ‘think about’ desiring to prophesy or that we should ‘put it on our list of possible issues to discuss’. He said we are to ‘earnestly desire to prophesy’! Not merely a statement of fact but an exhortation to future action.

We are to speak into the lives of others as God gives us the open window and opportunity. This situation requires that we are able to discern the Spirit, not stop and evaluate or take a week to pray about it. ‘The word on the street’; as they say on Sesame Street is to TRUST and OBEY.

In terms of our job description, we as followers are to present our bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is our reasonable service. We witnessed our Lord Yahushua do this. Should we do any less? How can anyone follow if they do not have someone to lead them as an example? We are also called to offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to His name. We also witnessed our Lord Yahushua do this many times, day and night. He ALWAYS gave God the glory in everything He thought, said or did. We are more equipped than we can even begin to fathom because we have in-dwelling in us the power of the Holy Spirit, given to us by God.

It is very important for a new Christian to imitate Christ or a leader who has a Christ like character because a new believer can be compared to a baby who knows nothing but just learning everything from the first person it gets close too.

Ministries who leaders are imitating Christ and preaching selflessly about God with the only ambition of salvation of mankind are conducive for imitation. The leaders of any ministry must speak the truth in love and lead a life of love, teaching to all kinds of people without favoritism.

The leader leads, and so his character becomes important because where the leader leads there his church will follow.

When we are not a part of a community of believers then we become isolated. Fellowship is important part of chrisitian growth as from on another we receive and are able to give encouragement, love , prayer, accountability and the word of God. We can share our spiritual gifts to build up God’s Church. When we are not in fellowship the devil finds it easy to enter our lives with doubts and temptations and since we do not have anyone to lift us up with prayer and the word, our lives can be easily destructed by the devil.

I have small children in my family my husband who is newly learning about Christ and salvation, and being a mother I do a lot of spiritual teaching. Naturally my family looks up to my character as a role model and when I do not live a life imitating Christ there is a danger of me leading my family into destruction.

Extremely, Jesus is the best example that any of us can / should follow. After that new Christian, intermediate Christian, seasoned Christians should imitate examples that imitate Christ.

The problem creeps in when doctrine(s) according to man is placed before the Word. A new Christians, a babe in Christ will naturally be inclined to imitate what they see, therefore it is important that those who are in the Walk present Christ. As mistakes come, if sin should beset we should do as the Word says, repent, and continue in the Walk.

Ministries that imitate Christ's ministry, ministries that make God's priorities their priorities. When we act, think, and speak like God, we are manifesting His will in our presence.

If the leader is perverted there lies the propensity for perversion. If the leader cannot see, there lies the propensity to lead blindly. If the mentor is of poor character their behavior can be infectious. More importantly when the mentor or leader is unhealthy there lies the propensity for people to miss God's voice, to not hear God's voice, to be out of the Will of God.

How well do people grow in Christ who aren't part of a Christian

community?

Not well, varying dogma's foster, most are perverted and do not reflect Christ,

Extremely important, eyes are always upon me, 1 Peter 2:9, those close will look closer and will glean what they see that I view important. Often more is caught than what is taught, therefore my actions should be as close as possible to what I say. I fully realize that I do not draw anyone to Christ, it is the Spirit Himself that does. Nevertheless I understand the charge that I am to be light and salt. We I falter I make an effort to also show repentance and restoration through Christ.

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 1:5b-6a) How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian's spiritual life? What kinds of ministry are most conducive to imitation? Why is the character of the mentor or leader so important to the health of the church? How well do people grow in Christ who aren't part of a Christian community? In what way is your character important to your family and spiritual children?

Very important man need to follow christ and not man christ is the only man to follow

The ministry of Christ like Paul did

I think character is very very important for the leaders or mentors of the church or community somebody is aiway watch you I love the words (May the work I done speak for me)

Not very good

Very very important that my goal to live a life my family or your family will not be ashame of me in my home ,church or community

Imitation is as important in a new Christian's life as it is in any new life. Few species are born with the innate knowledge needed to survive, and neither are we. It has been shown time and again what happens to a human child raised by an animal "parent," and it isn't a pretty sight. Exactly as little babies need nurturing, so too do baby Christians. As we learn to talk and walk by imitating what we see in our parents, we also learn to be Christ-like by imitation. Unfortunately, for many Christians, it means that they will learn a fractured sort of Christianity. It's important to remember that others are watching us, too!

Discipleship ministries seem to me to have the most influence, therefore are the most important in terms of imitation. Small groups, fellowship, and other ministries are also important. In churches with missionaries, it is important to see and hear those ministries regularly so that they, too, can be a source for valuable imitation.

Leaders in the church, whether the pastor, elder, Bible study leader, group leader, children's ministry leader, and so on, including parents, hold a place of greater judgement than those who do not lead. Paul warns us that not many should be teachers, because they are imitated, and what they live molds the lives of their disciples.

An anecdotal example here will suffice, because it is typical of those who do not maintain regular Christian fellowship. A couple we know, who had always been an example of a godly, experienced, and wise Christian couple, became disenchanted with the churches they attended due to different problems with each one they visited. They decided to keep their own counsel and to worship at home together. It was about a year later that we visited them. Alas, my mentor from former years admitted to me that she hadn't opened her Bible in weeks, and they no longer studied the Word together, or even had regular prayer times together. It was so sad to see this happen, yet when we didn't attend church for a number of weeks, we found the same lethargy creeping into our own lives. "Get thee to a nunnery!" is, metaphorically speaking, a good idea.

As missionaries, we have a lot of people watching us whom we do not know. Not only those we fellowship with and are family are influenced by our walk. It is a position that I take very spiritually, and it drives me to my knees. It is humbling to have someone you don't even know approach to say, "I watched you walk through that difficult time, and was uplifted by your dependence on God the whole time."

Imitation is all important; As Jesus rebukes the Pharisees in Matt 23:15 we see the result of imitating poor leadership. " Woe to you teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when he becomes one, you turn him into twice as much a son of hell as you are."

Ministries that focus on the discipleship or the mentoring of new believers. Jesus left us a great example of this, as He daily taught His disciples and those who became His followers. In John 15:5 Jesus says, " I am the vine, you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." Paul later followed Jesus's example.

Poor character can produce in their followers bad character and bad fruit. This multiplied over many times could cause a church to break apart and eventually fail, That is why it is so important to be in God's word and to rely on the Holy Spirit; we'll have the discernment to see right from wrong.

In Hebrews 10:25 it reads, "Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another- and all the more as you see the Day approaching." We are Christ's body here in this world and we all have a function to perform. If we aren't there, we suffer and others do also because we aren't there to be what God has created us to be; the same applies if we withdraw from the world and isolate ourselves. The Christian community helps us grow and our presence help others grow. We help to keep each other accountable. Proverbs 27:17 reads: "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpen another." In isolation we we can be easily misled and fail to grow spiritually.

It's all important; as a father, bad character in me leads to the same in my children; as well as poor spiritual leadership of our family. It also causes disharmony in our family that could lead to marital problems as well as other negative issues with our kids as they grow older, including the rejection of our faith.

Guest gilbertj

It is very imporant. Because we have to be example setters like Christ in order for new christians to follow.

The types of ministry that are important are evangelism, teaching, bible studying and praying.

It is so important of the character of the mentor or leader to the health of the church,because they have to help others and be effective

in the they live for christ.

How well do people grow in christ who aren't part of a christian community? Not much, because they have no one to mentor them teach them and to help them grow.

My character is important to my family and spiritual children is because the way I set examples before them the way I live fore christ and the way I help others and so they can be effective and so they can grow in christ.

You will be regenerating your spirit

If the leader or a mentor are disobedient, the church will lose members and it does not help for those who need spiritual growth.

No one will grow well without fellowship with others, there are people who saying they are better without church they are deceiving themselves

In my family i am the one who is born again, my character is very important because i am the one who had to draw them to the Lord, 1peter 3 v 1-2

How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian’s spiritual life?

1. It is very important. Others are watching us and we must be good examples for them to follow.

2. Actually, any ministry that is in the church that is following the will of our Father.

3. These are important to the health of the church because we should be role models for others to follow.

4. Their growth would not mature as fast as it would if they were a part of a Christian community.

5. My character is very important as I am the oldest of my siblings and they all look up to me for guidance. They see me as the example that they should be following. I do not waiver even though sometimes they say I am old fashion.

Q) How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian's spiritual life?

A) It is so important for imitation to be in the Christians spiritual life, People will look to others and how they act

Q) What kinds of ministry are most conducive to imitation?

A) All ministries

Q) Why is the character of the mentor or leader so important to the health of the church?

A) This is where the developement of spiritual gifts should be installed and built upin the members.

Q) How well do people grow in Christ who aren't part of a Christian community?

A) People do not grow very well at all if they are not part of the Christian community, It is Gods plan and system for Spiritual growth and maturety to be developed there.

Q) In what way is your character important to your family and spiritual children?

A) My character is vital to my family and Spiritual children. They are always watching me, studying me, seeing how I react to "Lifes Unexpected Situations". which sucks sometimes because I always have to be on my gaurd. I never want to be looked at as a hypacrit. It is by my testimonies that many are led to Christ.

Q) How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian's spiritual life?

A) It is so important for imitation to be in the Christians spiritual life, People will look to others and how they act

Q) What kinds of ministry are most conducive to imitation?

A) All ministries

Q) Why is the character of the mentor or leader so important to the health of the church?

A) This is where the developement of spiritual gifts should be installed and built upin the members.

Q) How well do people grow in Christ who aren't part of a Christian community?

A) People do not grow very well at all if they are not part of the Christian community, It is Gods plan and system for Spiritual growth and maturety to be developed there.

Q) In what way is your character important to your family and spiritual children?

A) My character is vital to my family and Spiritual children. They are always watching me, studying me, seeing how I react to "Lifes Unexpected Situations". which sucks sometimes because I always have to be on my gaurd. I never want to be looked at as a hypacrit. It is by my testimonies that many are led to Christ.

Imitation is super important. Imitating the wrong type of person can be diasterous, especially for new Christians.

All ministries need someone godly to be imitated.

Christian character is all important in a leader. It's death to a church to have leaders with faulty characters. It stunts the growth of new believers.

People who are not in the Christian community do not grow well. They don't have to be answerable to anyone and you don't grow if you aren't ministering. You can take in teaching, but it's not put into use....

Others see us as we minister. If our character is faulty, so is our witness. We need to take ourselves to God to help grow a character that will speak to others, especially our children, in a positive way.

Q. How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian's spiritual life?

A. It is very important, because what new believers see mature Christians do they are sure to imitate. That is why it is so important that we like Paul imitate Christ. Just as new borns need the nurturing of their parents for heathty growth, new babes in Christ need Spiritual parents to set Godly examples to help to grow strong in Christ.

Q. What kind of ministry are most conducive to imitation?

A. A ministry that is Christ centered, reflect Godly character and the fruits of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22-23

Q. Why is the character of the mentor or leaders so important to the health of the church?

A. The character of the mentor or leader is so important because they are constantly being watched by those being mentored and lead by them. They serve as role models within the church. Paul told the Corinthians to follow him as he followed Christ. Therefore mentors and leaders need to lead by Christ's example so that the church can be healthy and not tolerating sin.

Q. How well do people grow in Christ who aren't part of a Christian community?

A. People who aren't part of a Christian community miss out on valuable godly character building aspects that help Christians to mature to mature spiritually. The Word of God encourages us "Not to give up meeting together as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another, and all the more as we see the Day approaching." Heb 10:25

The main purpose of the Christian community is to uplift, exhort, and encourage, and one must be part of the community to experience that . There is a saying that "no man is an island to himself". Also Prov 271:7 says, Iron sharpens iron. The bottom line is that we need each other. When you're down I can lift you up and when I'm down you can lift me up.

Q. In what way is your character important to your family and spiritual children?

A. As a child of God we are encouraged by His Word to be imitators of Christ. Like Paul we should be able to say imitate me as I imitate Christ. 1 Cor 11:1. We should be people of godly character and integrity so that our family and spiritual children can see the qualities of Christ in us, helping them to live a godly life.

Imitation in the formation of a new Christian's spiritual life is very important because just as we imitate Christ, a new believer will imitate a leader or mentor. We would want to be sure we are living truth in love so they can mature in truth and love.

The ministries that I see as most conducive to imitation are high visibility ministries like evangelism and preaching or teaching, because they minister to larger groups and these ministries are seen by many people. If someone is up in front of groups of people teaching truth or evangelizing and then they walk away and live differently, then many people can come to doubt the truth of what they are hearing or become imitators of hypocrisy. Any ministry though is conducive to imitation just because people are watching and following. It could be a mother, father, friend, small group leader, child care giver....anything. Someone is watching and learning!

Character in leadership is everything when it comes to the health of the church. If we profess to believe certain truths, then our very character has to be in living those truths! If we say we believe something, yet never live that belief, then people question if we really DO believe what we say. Also, If we don't live the truth with each other, then there can be a lack of unity, humility and love.

People trying to grow outside a church community don't get the full benefits of community. Being isolated isn't the way to go and in fact we are told to not give up meeting together. When we meet together we grow together. As hard as that can be sometimes in practicing patience, love and humility, the benefits are in maturing spiritually. When we do...it is just amazing!

My character is important for the same reasons above. I can "talk" all I want to my children or grandchildren or to those that I mentor, but if they don't see me LIVE what I say I believe, then it's almost better to not talk at all and cause one to fall or doubt or turn away. I believe truths that I have learned in God's Word. I MUST live them. I need to be the example of those truths like loving those who hate me or in forgiving those who wrong me. I need to apply wisdom in my life and live that out before them as faithfully as I can.

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 1:5b-6a) How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian's spiritual life? What kinds of ministry are most conducive to imitation? Why is the character of the mentor or leader so important to the health of the church? How well do people grow in Christ who aren't part of a Christian community? In what way is your character important to your family and spiritual children?

Imitation is important in the Christian's life formation because it builds up the younger Christian who watch and see how they should walk as they see the more spiritual matured walk.

I think all areas of ministry should be avenues where discipleship or mentoring to build the new believers should take place.

People naturally imitate others. It is therefore very important for leader to exhibit godly lifestyles that can be copied or else God will hold us responsible if we lead the young in faith astray.

People who isolate themselves cannot grow because we need to learn from role models and also, we all have different gifts and will benefit from the gifts of others only when we join the congregation or groups.

How important is imitation in the formation of a new Christian's spiritual life? From the beginning God showed how imitation is important when he created us in his likeness. As imitation refers to the formation of a Christian's spiritual life, in order to come into that perfection in Christ (maturity), it's imperative that we have first be filled with the spirit and then take on those same qualities in order to pattern our Christian lives just like Christ, otherwise, whose then example are we saying we are living and following. It's also important to see the various examples Christ displayed when he chose to be amongst us in the bible and there are of course instructions in the word of the spiritual qualities a Christian should possess. All and all the importance of imitation confirms your growth and relationship with Christ, makes you an example to others, draws you closer to Christ, helps you become a vital part of the kingdom, helps sustain you in times of trials and temptation.

What kinds of ministry are most conducive to imitation? I'm not sure if their are those ministries that are most conducive as all the work in the kingdom is reliant on spiritual following. I do know though, prayer is vital, fasting, giving (tithes and offering) sharing the word (evangelism) and reading God's word.

I know with my leader for example, I very much observe their character and it's important to me because I glean so much from their leadership. They are the shepherd who is called by God to lead his people (the sheep of his pasture) and many times God does speak through leaders or touches the hearts of those we re mentored by in order to direct us. If they have a character that is unhealthy or not lead by Christ, then that ministry and it's flock could be in jeopardy or become mislead.

How well do people grow in Christ who aren't part of a Christian community? The bible does instruct us not to forsake the assembling of oneself with others, so fellowship is important to God for not only our growth but others. We are a body which has members and it takes coming together, otherwise, spiritually you will lack a vital part of your need to be fed.

In what way is your character important to your family and spiritual children? I have a granddaughter who is 3 and I only see her once a year on her birthday. Last year, when she turned two was beginning to be able to say some phrases, I blurted out one time "Oh Boy!", and she repeated it. I knew then I must watch be careful of my attitude and speech for any negativity because she is watching and listening. In the same manner, our family and spiritual children observe our mannerisms, speech and lives and many times pattern themselves after this as they learn to take on their own spiritual attributes as they themselves grow. It also confirms how Christ is alive and we are his witnesses in the earth.

In Paul’s day, any follower of a rabbi was intent on learning what the teacher knew and how the teacher applied that knowledge to life, with the ultimate goal of becoming like that rabbi. As a student left everything behind to travel and live with his rabbi, he carefully watched what real life looked like day-to-day for someone who valued, studied, and believed God’s Word. The follower’s life was shaped by imitating what he saw in the rabbi’s life.

One benefit to us of Jesus’ life on earth is the revealing of what God is personally like and what a pure and holy life looks like in practical terms. We were made to learn by imitation – and as our Rabbi, Jesus is our ultimate spiritual role model (Matt.23:8,10). When Jesus returned to heaven, He commissioned His new Body of believers on earth to teach/model His character and behavior for others to follow -- to “go… and make disciples” (Matthew 28:19). Disciples are made and trained as they learn and watch others who already know what they want/need to know, just as in Paul’s day. The examples they observe should lead them to lives submitted to the Holy Spirit and the Word. This whole principle of learning by imitation from trustworthy teachers is very biblical.

We were made to learn by imitation. And who we imitate influences what we believe and who we become. This is certainly true in the family unit. Children generally think and act like what they’ve grown up seeing in their parents. In the Christian family, we have a responsibility to be more intentional about who/what influences us, personally and corporately in the church body. The character and example of leaders are critical to the health of a congregation because the people will emulate what they hear and see in the lives of these people. If a pastor/teacher/mentor is not accurately representing Christ, then neither will the flock.

I think it’s very difficult [if not impossible] to properly grow in the knowledge, wisdom, and application of Truth when going “solo”. A genuine believer has been made part of the Body of Christ, and no body part can make it on its own. We need the wisdom, encouragement, counsel, and accountability we gain from more mature Christians. We need to see divine love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control demonstrated in real life (Galatians 5:22). We need to observe the processes of hope, grace, strength, forgiveness, and perseverance at work as other believers endure challenges and hurts. The real learning comes in how we see others live, not in simply hearing what they say.

As a rule, Christians who do not gather for prayer, Bible study, and fellowship with other Christians do not seem to grow much spiritually and there is no one to rebuke them when they sin or correct their misunderstanding of Scripture. However, Christians who are alone in prison for their faith in Jesus and do not have access to a Bible or any contact with Christians on the outside are often blessed by God so that not only do they grow spiritually but He draws others (non-Christian prisoners, even their persecutors) to Himself through the faithful witness and self-sacrifice for Christ of that solitary Christian prisoner.