JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Correcting Character Flaws

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (1 Thessalonians 2:3-6) Which of the character flaws mentioned in these verses is the greatest problem in the church?

Any character flaw seen in a believer that places "SELF" ahead of "God" I believe to be the greatest problem, for we are called to walk worthy of God.

How can you prevent one of these character flaws from overtaking you?

We can prevent this by allowing the Holy Spirit to lead, working out our own salvation that is, walking in FAITH, walking in COURAGE, is walking worthy of God.

Which of the character flaws mentioned in these verses is the greatest problem in the church?

Any flaw is a problem. Following and preaching of any idol is a problem. 2Ki22 and 23 show how the Hebrews brought idols into the temple. Today many preachers serve Mammon (Money and power), Baal and Asherah (sex), Dagon or Nimrod (Blessings) and many more in church. Why do you say that?

Too many preachers are focussed on themself. What do i get out of this, what are my bennifits? How can Jesus serve me, instead of serving god, handing my everything to God. We have to teach our people to serve God with all we have, once you seek the kingdom of God with everything in you, God id faithful, he said He will give us all we need. Math 6:33

We have to be filled with the Holy Spirit. We have to be obedient to the Holy Spirit. We have to seek God's will in everything we do.

Constant prayer and constant dwelling in the Word. We have to know God intimately if we want to live in His will.

For myself, to make sure money never becomes a magnet, i dont receive any money from preaching, i invest in our church. This way i will trust in God to provide always.

As for sex, i married my best friend, God gave me an awesome wife. As long as i keep her close and seek God's will in everything I do, i know with a blessed asurance that i will be protected. It also helps to know that my marriage is supposed to reflect my relationship with God. The more you love God, the more you will love your wife.

Seek God in all you do and He will show and guide you in your teachings as well.

Q2. (1 Thessalonians 2:3-6)

Which of the character flaws mentioned in these verses is the greatest problem in the church?

I think all the mentioned character flaws are a problem in the church.

Why do you say that?

I say that because each of the mentioned flaws can destroy the church.

I can prevent one of these flaws from overtaking me by strongly and truly believing in the gospel and acting according to it.

Which of the character flaws mentioned in these verses is the greatest problem in the church? Why do you say that?

That's a tough question. They all are problems today, and I can only speak from what I see here in America. The media and culture and the complete absence of truth or anything that resembles it, are having, I believe an effect on the church. So the church finds itself wanting to be in step with the culture and in the process becomes man-pleasers. Tickling the ears of the hearer. Instead of the church transforming the culture, it seems the culture might be transforming the church. We are in a battle here in America, where the culture says, truth is relative and different for every person and "everyone does what is right in his own eyes." Judges 21:25 But Jesus say," I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through Me." John 14:6

To stay in the Word so that I will recognize false teaching when you hear it. Continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. Philippians 2:12-13 To continue to submit yourself to the Lordship of Jesus Christ through the Holy Spirit. "being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6

Which of the character flaws that are mentioned in these verses is the greatest problem in the church?

Why do you say that?

I believe that the greatest character flaw in the church today is their impure motives.

Impure motives cover a lot of ground. One that has stayed with me a long time is "win people as numbers of people saved". Another one is the idea "that bigger the better". "I have more people coming to my church than you do." And I feel the impure motive of "its just my job" is deadly for the church today.

The prevention is in our relationship with Jesus and not listening to the rules of the world. By following the path that Jesus has set for us, we can keep away from any false motives that will destroy people.

1 Thessalonians 2:3-6

Q). Which of the character flaws mentioned in these verses is the greatest problem in the church?

A). All of the character flaws mentioned are a great problem in the church.

#

Q). Why do you say that?

A). Because they all corrupt the body of Christ.

#

Q). How can you prevent one of these character flaws from overtaking you?

A). By repentance, confession and placing it in God's care. I can pray about it and not worry about it because I trust God to handle it: "Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you." -1 Peter 5:7

This is a difficult question to answer, I somewhat believe that if one of these heinous acts are present the others exist or they are lurking. They all are GREAT problems in the church house. All carry the connotation of works of the FLESH.

Why do you say that?

All of the actions mention focuses on "SELF", the actions facilitates the individuals will not God's and that's not only a GREAT problem but a sin especially doing so under the pretense of His Name, His Will.

The Scriptures informs us that it is the Spirit that draws men, however overt works of the flesh has the capacity to turn people in directions contrary to God's Will.

Adherence to the Holy Spirit, yielding to His leading, denying Self, not self denial, but denying Self through the grace of God. Repenting when I do not and when it is brought to my attention that I am slipping, remaining courageous in FAITH.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

1 & 2 THESSALONIANS: DISCIPLESHIP LESSONS JesusWalk Bible Study

http://www.jesuswalk.com/thessalonians/ Dr. Ralph F. Wilson

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Q2. (1 Thessalonians 2:3-6) Which of the character flaws

mentioned in these verses is the greatest problem in the

church? Why do you say that? How can you prevent one of

these character flaws from overtaking you?

(A) All were said can be a problem in today's church,today church like to please man,forget what God said.

(B) Every church wont the pretty church, more people come to my church than your church the best songs,the bigger choir and etc.

© The Bible say "Were one or two are gether together in my name I am in the mist"

trust in God, with all you heart and soul and God will take care the rest.

In this 2nd chapter of THessa;onian the people had turned away from God and they were listening to the false prophets. Instead of tending to the business at hand they were afraid and because there were easily deceived that had forgotten that God is in control and they were becoming slaves to worldliness. WE have to be on guard and stand firm in the word so we do not become like this.

1. They all are problems in the church but, I feel that the greatest problem in the church is pleasing men.

Why do you say that? How can you prevent one of these character flaws from overtaking you?

2, Because we are telling the people what we feel they want to hear and not what they should hear, we are loosing the sincerity of God and His word. If the truth was spoken, the rest would take care of itself. I need to always stay humble and stay in God's word.

Q2. (1 Thessalonians 2:3-6) Which of the character flaws mentioned in these verses is the greatest problem in the church? Why do you say that? How can you prevent one of these character flaws from overtaking you?

I think all are problems in the church today, but I have especially experienced two of the character flaws mentioned as the greatest problem in the churches I've attended.

Pride:Taking on people to mentor not because of genuine love for Christ or for the people entrusted to in their care, but for "numbers". I've seen multiple people greeted, but dropped just as quickly when the numbers didn't pan out. The newcomers didn't get whatever truth or behavior "fast enough" and were eventually looked down upon or dismissed very casually. I've seen devastated people left by the wayside very hurt because they thought church people had a genuine interest and love for them only to discover it wasn't genuine at all.

The other goes along with it. Self righteousness. I've been in several churches (and was condemned in some) for my sinful past. I was saved, on a journey with Christ, turning from sin and yet no matter how my life changed, (and it changed dramatically!) I was always considered an outsider that had "fallen." These churches had "spiritually elite" people and then the other group of "sinners". We were welcome to fill a pew, do servants work others didn't want to do and give money, but were never considered "good enough" for fellowship and in some cases we were even despised. It was sad. If you told them that this attitude was not of the Gospel of Christ, then you were considered "rebellious" because you didn't go along with them and stay in your labelled place.

When I examine myself, I fear I fall into "guilt and duty." Usually, I genuinely love those entrusted to my care but the walk becomes difficult and I get discouraged and tired and I find myself forgetting my love but go on in duty. It's especially important for me to see my weakness in this and to guard against it. I have to stay prayerful depending on God's strength, asking for that extra measure of love in my heart to always be there. I try to stay in close communion with God so I can be reminded when the love is waning and I start to resent the often difficult walk with others. Then I can fill and refresh in His love and mercy that I receive in my own stinkin' thinkin' and continue to pour that out to others also!

Q2. (1 Thessalonians 2:3-6) Which of the character flaws mentioned in these verses is the greatest problem in the church?

The list: delusion, error, impure motives, fraud, deceit, men pleasers, flattery, greedy motives, pretexts for gain, speaking to extract praise, honor, and glory from men. (amplified) It would be difficult to choose one that is worse than another!!!

Why do you say that?

Each one originates in the fallen nature and/ or from the devil, and serve to destroy the church.

A surrendered life in intimate and authentic relationship with the the Lord, asking the Holy spirit to shine His light on any ungodly behavior so that it can be removed at the root!

Pride is one of the worst. Because each of the character flaws have something to do with pride--in ourselves, who we are, what we are doing....

We have to pray & search ourselves daily & know exactly what our motives are.

Q2. (1 Thessalonians 2:3-6)

Why do you say that?

I feel that preaching what people want to hear motivated by greed and pride is the greatest problem in the church today. In saying this I still acknowledge that the vast majority of preachers are sincere and honest. As always it is the few ‘rotten eggs’ that cause the most damage to our church’s integrity. In recent years there has developed a science of church growth focused not on the expansion of the gospel, but on clever marketing strategies to increase the financial wealth of the church, and its leaders. They do not see the gospel as being the precious treasure that has been entrusted to them by God, and that their responsibility is to please God by faithfully preaching the gospel irrespective of what the peoples reaction will be. By choosing to please man rather than God would, of course, produce growing numbers. All this is motivated by the desire for more money, more power, more adulation, and more recognition. Not all are fooled by these strategies and by pleasing God we can still spread the true gospel which is more important than numerical growth or success. If people are pleased by what is pleasing to God, there will be growth. Paul was keenly aware that he was not merely accountable to men. He assured the Thessalonians that when he spoke God's Word, he did so not as pleasing men. Nowhere did he make that more clear than when he responded to the allegation from false teachers in Galatia that he was nothing but a men pleaser. “Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ. Galatians 1:10 (NIV).

2 Thessalionins (2:3-6)

Which of these character flaws mentioned in these verses is the greatest problem in the church?

Pride and Men-pleasers are character flaws that I think cause greatest problem in the church.

I say that because I believe that many Christians are very interested in their outward appearance rather then condition of the heart. For man looks at the outward appearance, The Lord looks at the heart (1Sam. 16:7c)

We need to be careful that what we do whether in church or out of church is not in order that we are seeking to please men; but rather to serve in a way in which we are seeking to please God.

I can prevent these character flaws from overtaking me by setting my affections on things above and not on earthly things. Col 3:2

Q2. (1 Thessalonians 2:3-6) Which of the character flaws mentioned in these verses is the greatest problem in the church? Why do you say that? How can you prevent one of these character flaws from overtaking you?

The character flaws mentioned in these verses is the greatest problem in the church is PRIDE. Pride is a sin that is most deadly. It genders sel-righteousness, self-love, vanity. The person with pride as a character is flawed with excessive belief in his own abilities, that interferes with the individual's recognition of the grace of God; and interferes with his witness. To prevent any of the character flaws from overtaking me I must endeavor to walk and be led by Holy Spirit, let the flesh die.

The character flaws mentioned in Vs 3 -6 are

Impure motives,

Pleasing men,

Flattery,

Greed

Praise from men.

I personally think any of these flaws can create problem in the church. If you have one of these flaws you have all of them in you. But the most dangerous could be pleasing men and not God. Then you are not doing any good work at all!

To prevent such things happening to me or overtaking me,I have to remember I was once lost and now am found! I have to remember that I am saved by his grace alone and I cannot boast of any good thing I have done to earn his grace. Constant prayer and submission to the Holy spirit and obedience to the word of God will keep me from pride!

Personally, I think all of the character flaws listed in our lessons are problems in the church today. Some have strayed far away from the teachings of God’s Word and Jesus’ example for their own self-worth to be puffed up.

1. Misguided belief,

2. Impure motives,

3. Trickery, intentional deceit.

4. Men-pleasers,

5. Flattery,

6. Greed, and

7. Reputation or fame.

Why do you say that?

This is what has been taught in 2 Timothy 3:1-5, “This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.”

This should not surprise us, because God has told us in His Word how our world will look in the last days. It is sad and heartbreaking to see, and we should strive to tell everyone about the love and power of God. This should motivate us to live godly, and to trust God to see us through all persecutions and oppositions that we may face standing up for the truth.

If I seek God’s approval and be obedient to His Will and His Way I can prevent one of these character flaws from overtaking me. I have to discipline myself to have healthy motives, and act out of pure love for all, and not be found self-seeking before God and the world.

I think the common character flaws that are the main problem in the church today are greed and men pleasing that both have a common objective namely attract and keep a growing congregation by telling then only what they want to hear and attract huge collections. The church is becoming a business to some church founders today.

We have to repent and turn to God to purify our motives towards love for willing souls for the Lord.

I believe one of the greatest problem in the church is no-back-bone leadership.

There are too many pastors see their ministry as a job, way to make a living and a man-pleaser.

Why do I say so?

I have witness for too many feel-good, cheer leader and how you can get a lots of money sermons, if you give.

How do I prevent one of these character flaws from overtaking me?

By following God's word. As Paul said: Be an imitators of him and of the Lord JESUS CHRIST.

" O LORD OUR GOD, PLEASE GIVE US THE COURAGE AND BOLDNESS TO STAND STRONG FOR YOU DAY AND NIGHT AND WHATEVER CIRCUMSTANCE WE FACE IN THE NAME OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST, AMEN."

Every church is driven by something. It may be unknown to many in the church, but it is there, influencing every aspect of the church's life. A balanced church will be a healthy church, but the major barrier to church growth is that people resist change.

In our church I would say reputation. Our church at the moment is divided. One side you have the tradition-driven church and the favourite saying is "we've always done it this way"

The church must offer people something they cannot get anywhere else.

Churches grow warmer through fellowship,grow deeper through discipleship, grow stronger through worship, grow broader through ministry and grow larger through evangelism.

Goodness, every flaw Paul mentioned here can be found in the modern church and I really don’t know that I can zero in on just one as the greatest problem. In my own large church congregation, I would have to say that over the past several years I’ve discerned that an apparent deep insecurity drives our pastor in a search for “recognition and fame” as he has become a mentor to other pastors within the denomination and established a prominent reputation. In a nutshell, he talks much about his opportunities for influence and too often flaunts numbers about attendance or finances, usually with a passing mention of God’s blessing. He has many fine qualities, but it is very sad to watch him seek man’s attention, applause, and affirmation as a basis of worth.

We’re all prone to any/all of these character flaws because of our flawed condition as humans. The only prevention for being overtaken is the humble heart that comes from weighing self against God’s perfection. That is developed through studying and knowing His Word, and seeking to know Him in a personal relationship through constant communication. It grows with every decision to submit in love and every act of obedience done in faith as we yield self to His plan, wisdom, desires, and sovereign authority.

**Psalm 25:9 He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble His way.**

Just days ago I heard a young pastor’s message that I’m still pondering. He said something I think is helpful here. In evaluating every decision we make and action we take, there are 3 questions we should ask.

(1) What am I trying to prove/accomplish?

(2) Who am I trying to impress?

(3) For what reason?

Honest answers to those questions would help us keep our focus on God and less likely to be overtaken by our own innate flaws.

Greed is the greatest problem in the church. Greed entails flatterly, deceit and all other forms of perverting the gospel for some kind of gain. The preacher preaches messages intended to make people feel good (spiritual drug dispensing), in order to get people to support their ministry, buy their books and other resources. They flatter because they are greedy for adoration and the need to be the most liked, respected preacher. They want recognition and to be liked so they preach whatever their listeners want to hear. Ultimately this harms and splits the church.

You prevent these flaws in your own character by actively focusing on them and addressing them through prayer and scripture reading and surrounding yourself with others looking for purity in service. Also seeking ministry opportunities that don't involve money, photo opps, and stay away from recognition ceremonies.