JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. An Unfaithful Leader

Q3. (Isaiah 22) Why is Judah faulted for making necessary military preparations in the face of the Assyrian armies? What should they have done at the same time (verses 11-12)? What seems to be the sin of Shebna, steward of the palace (verses 15-19)? Have you ever been guilty of selfishness instead of doing your duty to Christ? 

• 1 month later...

Why is Judah faulted for making necessary military preparations in the face of the Assyrian armies? BECAUSE HE DID NOT CONSULT THE LORD.

What should they have done at the same time (verses 11-12)? LOOK TO THE ONE WHO MADE IT.

What seems to be the sin of Shebna, steward of the palace (verses 15-19)? "This self-important man is preparing a fine tomb for himself on the heights of the city while Jerusalem itself is threatened. He is expendable (verses 15-19). Perhaps this is an example of corruption -- using the nation's resources to further one's own purposes and pride."

Have you ever been guilty of selfishness instead of doing your duty to Christ?  NOT KNOWINGLY

We have a bumper crop of such lackeys today. Such people are only interested in what they can get out of the deal / situation. They have no interest in how their actions or lack there of affect others. Thus, the lackey's of Jerusalem and during Isaiah's time cared nothing for the people, Jerusalem or God. Everything they did was only for personal interests nor for the glory of God or the safety of the people. 

Anyone operating strictly on the natural order will never recognize the need to repent, thus they will continue attempting to accomplish whatever they are doing by their own efforts and intellect or even fears. However, those who have received grace from God, through the exercise of discernment they would have seen and recognized what they must do, repent and trust in the Lord. 

Anyone who is so filled with inordinate pride and self interest are digging their own grave, for their efforts are entirely repugnant not only to men but even more so towards God.

Anyone who declares themselves sinless or guiltless is a liar, for none can stand before the Lord innocent. The faithful indeed have been redeemed, but our salvation demands continued conversion throughout our pilgrimage in this existence. We must always strive for holiness and obedience, less we fall into a worse state than when we first came to know the Lord. It is for this reason St. Paul declares that he 'beats his body straining to control his natural passions and appetites so that he will may run the race of righteousness before God and not forfeit his salvation (1 Corinthians 9:24-27).   

Q3. (Isaiah 22) Why is Judah faulted for making necessary military preparations in the face of the Assyrian armies?

While there was nothing actually wrong with the defenses Jerusalem's leaders prepared, and in fact they were quite ingenious, the fault, from God's perspective, lay in their self-satisfaction with the job they'd done. Once the tunnel had been dug to ensure a water supply and the walls of the city had been fortified, they celebrated as if they'd already won the war and done so with no help from God. They were glorifying in their own cleverness and efforts. They even held a celebratory feast to honor what they had built.

What should they have done at the same time (verses 11-12)?

Well, for starters they should have asked the blessing of God upon their work before they commenced it and continued to ask God for protection and help. Instead they held a celebration of their own efforts which really rankled God!

What seems to be the sin of Shebna, steward of the palace (verses 15-19)?

Shebna probably knew that eventually Jerusalem would fall and so he set about carving himself a tomb among the royal tombs so that he would hopefully be remembered by future generations as a great man because he'd been buried with the kings. Self-agrandizing, I believe that's called.

Have you ever been guilty of selfishness instead of doing your duty to Christ?

Yeah, and at one time I was disciplined as Moses was disciplined. I failed to honor God and paid a price for that which is still in effect today.

Judah was faulted for making necessary military preparations in the face of the Assyrian armies because they did not humble themselves before God and they did not rely on God for their protection.  They did not seek God.    Instead of putting on sackcloth and weeping and crying for mercy and deliverance from God, they celebrated on their rooftops while they relied on their own strength and wisdom to build up their supposed defenses.

"(If ) My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” 2 Chron 7:14

They should have humbled themselves before God.

Shebna, who was second in command to the king, was busy enriching himself and building himself a grand tomb.   He was too busy looking after himself and his legacy to actually worry about an attack.

Have I ever been guilty of selfishness instead of doing my duty to Christ?   Yes.  Every time I make my own plans instead of looking to Him for direction, or every time I purchase something that is a “want” instead of a “need”  without looking to Him for His wishes, I am guilty of selfishness.   Do I look to Him for everything?  Do I obey Him immediately?  Do I exercise my own will?  We are selfish creatures, and in ways large and small we are guilty of selfishness toward Christ.   If He is not truly Lord of our lives then we show selfishness toward our Lord who  gave His life that we might have life and have it in abundance.

The people of the Judah made a lot of military preparations to save themselves from the attacks of the Assyrian Armies; they were not blamed for doing this, but while doing this they failed to acknowledge God.

At the same time of preparations, the people should have looked upto God the maker of Jerusalem.  They should have looked up to God for blessing their work and their plans.  They should have sought after God’s will and not their own.

Shebna was preparing a fine tomb for himself on the heights of the city while Jerusalem itself is threatened. Perhaps he was corrupt- using the nation's resources to further one's own purposes and pride.

Yes, I have been in my old life when Christ was not my first priority, but since I have come to know him closely I ask for his grace to not be selfish and put Christ and his duties first, yet I know I fail many a times, Lord have mercy on me for such times, reveal it to me my mistakes and please forgive me.

Q3. (Isaiah 22) Why is Judah faulted for making necessary military preparations in the face of the Assyrian armies? What should they have done at the same time (verses 11-12)? What seems to be the sin of Shebna, steward of the palace (verses 15-19)? Have you ever been guilty of selfishness instead of doing your duty to Christ? 

Judah was trusting in her military and logistics preparation for her defence instead of depending and trusting in the Lord for her security.

He was engaged in curving out his resting grave on the rock probably using public funds despite the impending destruction of the city.

I think so. We should however not be selfish.

Q3. (Isaiah 22) Why is Judah faulted for making necessary military preparations in the face of the Assyrian armies?

This prophecy points to Jerusalem when the inhabitants of Jerusalem were facing spiritual blindness ..Jerusalem was always referred to as Mount Zion but here due to its spiritual depravity and behaving just like the Gentiles ..Isaiah terms it the Valley  of Vision..Judah had made provision for water to come into the city of Jerusalem in the event of it being captured by the Assyrians. They were proud of their own security measures rather than depending on Yahweh.

They should have looked to the Lord ..instead of unbelief.

Shebna was corrupt ..he was using the nations resources to further his position, possessions and pride.

Yes. 

They went about it the wrong way, instead of consulting God in their prepartions they made theyr own plans. They relied on themselves and their neigbours instead of trusting God

They should have seeked guidance from God and believed in Him

Pride, selfcentred, greed, corruption

Yes.

Jerusalem is being attacked by Sennacherib. Instead of turning to YHVH for help King Hezekiah made his own preparations. “He removed the protection of Judah But you did not look to its Maker, nor did you have respect for Him who fashioned it long ago.” The inhabitants had lost faith in YHVH to protect them. As such in the face of death they took to their own pleasures such as drinking and other behaviours. King Hezekiah remained faithful. As the inhabitants were in danger they did not pray to YHVH for help rather they took on sinful traits.

Shebna was a servant of King Hezekiah, both a steward and a scribe .These were both positions of honor and responsibility. Shebna was a proud man. He made himself a beautiful tomb! In that day, this was a display of significant power and wealth. Doing this, Shebna personified all of Jerusalem with his obsessive self-interest. Isaiah had prophesied that the people of Judah and Jerusalem would be carried away into exile but Shebna didn’t believe it. He built this elaborate tomb to himself in Jerusalem.

I feel that I should do more for my Abba than what I am currently doing.

Q3. (Isaiah 22)

Why is Judah faulted for making necessary military preparations in the face of the Assyrian armies?

Jerusalem was under siege by the Assyrian armies and they were under the impression that their city was safe and an impregnable fortress. They had made the necessary military preparations and then carried living and partying without a care in the world. This was the time when they should have been turning to God and putting their trust in Him. God had promised the people of Jerusalem a leading role of bringing righteousness and justice to earth. This was the time to have looked up to Him, in repentance, for help. But instead, they rebelled against His love and refused to listen to the warnings of His prophet - they were to put their trust in Him alone. Shebna violated the trust that was put in him by advancing his own agenda. He was obsessed with his own self-glory and tried to preserve his place in history and in so doing betrayed the trust of his high office. Yes, I think we all have been guilty of selfishness at one time or another. But thanks to the grace of our Lord we start to obey Him and slowly but surely our self-interest is replaced with care and love for our fellow brothers and sisters. It becomes less of ourselves and more about our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. 

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2013 at 9:57 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a. They made military preparations, using the ideas of a pompous leader, rather than looking to their God, Commander in Chief, Lord of Hosts,  and felt secure in their own efforts, and celebrating their imagined victory with eating, drinking and partying.

b. They did not look to their maker for guidance and in repentant weeping and mourning for their unbelief and presumption!

c. He was contemptibly presumptuous and arrogant...puffed up and prideful.

d. Yes I have. Fear was the reason...so like Judah and Shebna, I trusted my own strength, resources, and ability to do what the Lord asked, instead of looking to Him to work through me in His power and might. (I eventually repented and did what He called me to do, trusting the outcome to Him and not my effort...which was successful because He did the work!

Isaiah 22
Q). Why is Judah faulted for making necessary military preparations in the face of the Assyrian armies?
A). As Motyer puts it, "So delighted were they in their do-it-yourself security that a public holiday was declared (verse 13). They are trusting in their own security, rather than in Yahweh who made the city and loves it".
#
Q). What should they have done at the same time (verses 11-12)?
A). They should have trusted in the grace of God. "They have trusted in their own works, rather than the grace of God, and so have committed the unforgiveable sin of unbelief" (verse 14)
#
Q). What seems to be the sin of Shebna, steward of the palace (verses 15-19)?
A). Perhaps this is an example of corruption -- using the nation's resources to further one's own purposes and pride.
#
Q). Have you ever been guilty of selfishness instead of doing your duty to Christ?
A). Yes I have been guily of selfishness but the bible shows me how to be unselfish.
If I love the Lord as I profess, I would keep His commandments (If ye love me, keep my commandments John 14:15). And one of the greatest commandments requires that I behave unselfishly (And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself Matthew 22:39). Faithful adherence to the second greatest commandment is the key to an unselfish way of living (love thy neighbour as thyself).

Judah is faulted with a "do it yourself" security. They trusted in their own works for security as opposed to trusting in God "who made the city and loved it." What they "should" have done, is trusted in God's protection and provision. Even after failing, they could have repented and turned, but they chose to live in unbelief.

Shebna is referred to as a "lackey" which means, " a weak servant or one who is spineless." He is replaced by Eliakim who is described as "responsible" for the security of the palace and who "acts in honor and with care". Apparently, Shebna was "wishy washy" and lazy, not attending to his duties, putting everyone at risk. Perhaps he was more interested in protecting his image and leadership position than in dealing honestly, with integrity and with excellence for the good of all. 

Yes, I've been guilty of selfishness and I've been distracted from my duties, forgetting a vision and sinking into making even something good all about me. Hopefully, (and I think yes) I've learned to stay humble and more focused on what God is doing and in staying in communion with Him every day, I can stay "on fire" for HIM and with the Holy Spirit's help and guidance, my work can be done in excellence and humbleness.

Great things to ponder on! Thanks!

1.  Judah is God's people and they should have trusted in God.  Instead they made their own preparations to defend against the Assyrians.  Again, it is the idea that, "I will do what I can see, not follow God who I do not see".

2.  God is their protector!  And they needed to look to God as the One who would save them from destruction.  Being God's people didn't seem to matter to them.

3.  Shebna's sin was taking the publics money and using it for private means.  He was making a lavish tomb for himself while Assyria was outside the walls of the city.

4.  Yes, I believe all of us have done that and occasionally still do it.  It is so much easier using someone else's money than your own.

Making preparations is not the problem I don't believe.  It was the leaving God (dissing Him) out of the whole equation.  Imagine the only one who has power over anything including wisdom for the preparations they were making and he is not consulted, not even given a remote thought in the wee back of their brains. 

God gave them that day to mourn and to return to him for complete total mercy.  Instead they were in very premature celebrations.  Reminds me of people going to a wild New Years celebration a little immature as they will be in their eternal place that night.  Help us Lord.  

Shebna sounds like may of todays characters.  They  just think they are really something (the cat's meow as my grandma used to put it).  He and many today totally misused his 'rank' and power.  Lined his own pockets with no reguard for the poor or for his master to do what was right according to his position.  Aren't we a sad lot!  Lord help us.  We need your help.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Judah did not look to the Lord God Almighty as their help. they made preparations of thier own seeking counsel and help of pagan kings rather that trusting God to deliver them . They did not regard God as their source of help.

Judah should have sought the face of God and put thier trust in him and relied on the guidance of the Lord Most High.

Shebna was a corrupt man who niether feared God nor his prophets. He tried to gain wealth so that he could build a tomb for himself. he robbed people's wealth to gain power and possessions. A self seeking and greedy man who loved money more than God.

i too am guilty of being selfish seeking my own gain- may be not in the area of money but may be at times not considering the needs of others and what God expects me to be. but as the Holy spirit of God has shown me my failure to perform my duty towards christ being selfless and do his will i have repented of this sin and did my best to my best for God. i require God's grace everyday to win over selfishness and be selfless like Christ.

Judah faulted because they were too busy preparing for war and not seeking God for guidance.

They should have been looking to God for help, the One who made them.

Shebna sin was: Self-interest, he was concern only about himself.

Have I ever been guilty of selfness instead of doing my duty to Christ? Shamefully, YES.

"Heaven Father please give us the strenght and courage to do our duties to CHRIST,

in the name of our Lord JESUS CHRIST, Amen."

Q3. (Isaiah 22) Why is Judah faulted for making necessary military preparations in the face of the Assyrian armies? Judah was faulted due to the fact they did not have respect, did not FEAR the Lord GOD of hosts, instead, they put their faith in mans ability, putting to the test the judgment of Jehovah.

What should they have done at the same time (verses 11-12)? It is clear to me the longer Judah continued to laugh in the face of judgment, the harder it became for Judah to see more clearly the path they were heading, when we allow hardness of the heart to set in, we allow it to become a blinding force to the leading of the Spirit, the Spirit that softens the heart in order for one, in this case Judah, to see more clearly their shame of disobedience, the calling of the heart to put on the sackcloth of mourning of "REPENTANCE" - a sweet aroma up to God.

What seems to be the sin of Shebna, steward of the palace (verses 15-19)? His sin could very well have been the sin of "PRIDE" - pride that fulfills one with great satisfaction in one’s “OWN” abilities and achievements - pride that brings fulfillment to one's own wishes and expectations, therefore Shebna expected the right to be buried in respect and in splendor as that of holy man, an enabling force that blinded Shebna to see his own sin of unrighteousness, a great sin indeed, a great sin that God will deal with Himself.

The military preparations excluded God.  Judah never God for his help. The sin of Shebna seems to that of arrogance, self-reliance, self-glorification, self-centeredness, and the exclusion of God from the affairs of Jerusalem.

At times I am selfish, but it is not my life style.  I strive to carry out my duties to Jesus Christ on a daily basis.

The military preparations excluded God.  Judah never God for his help. The sin of Shebna seems to that of arrogance, self-reliance, self-glorification, self-centeredness, and the exclusion of God from the affairs of Jerusalem.

At times I am selfish, but it is not my life style.  I strive to carry out my duties to Jesus Christ on a daily basis.

The citizens and leaders of Jerusalem expended a great amount energy and faith in their own do-it-selfsecurity--building walls and tunnels--instead of truly trusting in God. God was looking for His people to respon under crisis with repentant hearts and genuinely changed lives.

Instead of celebrating when the threat was gone, the people could have sought God humbly with contrite hearts. They however rejoiced at God's victory as if it was their's.

Shebang was only looking out for himself and used his position for protection, not serving God's people.

Yes, a number of times I have neglected to turn to and trust in God for His guidance, strength, an deliverance.

• 2 weeks later...

They were faulted because the Lord was not sought first.

They shouldn't have taken so much pride in their armies--they should have looked to the Lord & depended upon Him.

Shebna also had much pride and was looking out for his #1--himself.

Yes, I have.  :-(