JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...

Does this passage actually teach a bodily resurrection?  NO, IT WILL BE SPIRITUAL

What does it teach us about resurrection? Daniel sees this resurrection clearly.

"Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt. Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever." (Daniel 12:2-3)

When will this resurrection take place, according to the New Testament?  Prior to this resurrection, however, there will be terrible judgment upon the earth -- as so graphically spelled out in the Book of Revelation. 

St. Matthew's Gospel chapter 24 is speaking to the believers in the present tense, meaning the time of tribulation and the end times will be witnessed by the Church. No escapism here, no Darbyistic rapture seen here.

Further, the Gospel of St. Matthew and in chapter 25 gives us two perfect and graphic descriptions of the final judgment individually and collectively. The two parables are "the ten virgins" and "the sheep & the goats." 

St. Mark's Gospel chapter 13 reveals the same, the faithful believer will endure the times and witness the signs, and being persecuted, being betrayed, arrested, imprisoned, tortured, put to death, etc., just like our Lord Jesus Christ. For no servant is greater than their master, and no student greater than their teacher, and no believer greater than their Lord. Rather, the faithful and obedient must endure just as their Creator and Lover Jesus Christ had to endure. 

The Revelation of St. John chapter 13:9-10  tells us that many faithful believers will be taken into captivity and many will be put to the sword. And in Revelation 20:3-5 we witness multitudes of the faithful and obedient who never worshiped the beast had been beheaded for their faith in God. Again no escapism here.

This passage tells about the remarkable declaration of bodily resurrection from the dead in the Last Days. "But your dead will live; their bodies will rise.  You, who dwell in the dust, wake up and shout for joy.  Your dew is like the dew of the morning; the earth will give birth to her dead." (26:19)

Prior to this resurrection, there will be terrible judgment upon the earth – This is graphically spelled out in the Book of Revelation in the New Testament.

Q5. (Isaiah 26:19)

Does this passage actually teach a bodily resurrection?

What does it teach us about resurrection?

When will this resurrection take place, according to the New Testament?

Yes, Isaiah states our bodies will rise. As believers we will get new imperishable bodies, similar to Jesus’ body when He was resurrected. This will take place when Christ returns. Since our present bodies are subject to disease, decay, decomposition, and is therefore not suitable for eternal life we will receive our new bodies made for heaven. This day will be a day of great victory because on this day the last enemy, death, will be defeated and destroyed. “For He must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet. The last enemy to be destroyed is death (1 Corinthians 15:25-26). God is the source of our hope for resurrection into eternal life.

Yes, He has all the power to resurrect us, all the dead, and to cast out those who still want to cling to their sin. It is dangerous to have a sin habit, becasue it is easier to stay the same than to change. Oh, God, please make us new today. Let us forget who we were, and not look back as you put us to the plough of your Kingdom. To not follow your will is arrogant and wicked, and filled with personal ego There is something

but the wicked to whom thou hast given power, and they have transgressed thy word, thou wilt deliver into hell;'' see ( Revelation 20:14-15 ) .

Isaiah 26:19 teaches:

"But your dead will live Lord; their bodies will rise." 

It teaches us that "those who are dead and dwell in the dust will "wake up" and shout for joy. The Earth will give birth (life) to her dead."

According to the New Testament book of Revelation, prior to this resurrection, there will be a terrible judgement on the Earth. Everyone will be given a chance to repent, but those who refuse will go to everlasting punishment.

I'm listening to the song I Will Rise on the radio as I type this! God is AMAZING!!!

There's a peace I've come to know 
Though my heart and flesh may fail 
There's an anchor for my soul 
I can say "It is well" 

Jesus has overcome 
And the grave is overwhelmed 
The victory is won 
He is risen from the dead 

And I will rise when He calls my name 
No more sorrow, no more pain 
I will rise on eagles' wings 
Before my God fall on my knees 
And rise 
I will rise 

There's a day that's drawing near 
When this darkness breaks to light 
And the shadows disappear 
And my faith shall be my eyes 

Jesus has overcome 
And the grave is overwhelmed 
The victory is won 
He is risen from the dead 

And rise 
I will rise 

And I hear the voice of many angels sing, 
"Worthy is the Lamb" 
And I hear the cry of every longing heart, 
"Worthy is the Lamb" 

And rise 
I will rise

AMEN!

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2013 at 10:01 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q5. (Isaiah 26:19) Does this passage actually teach a bodily resurrection? What does it teach us about resurrection? When will this resurrection take place, according to the New Testament?

a.  Yes, I believe it does...."your dead saints shall rise".. "the earth shall cast forth the dead to life again..." (The dead body lies in the ground, but at death, the spirit has gone on...if a believer, "to be absent from the body is to be present with Christ". And if an unbeliever, to the place assigned to them until the White throne judgment, when unbelievers will experience the second death for rejecting God's gift of eternal life while they were living, and in their eternal body they will be sent to hell.

b.  It Teaches that the dead saints, buried in the dust, or who have become dust, shall rise to life supernaturally by God's Hand. (1 Cor. 15:42-44 "So it is with the resurrection of the dead (the body) that is resurrected is imperishable (immune to decay, immortal)  It is sown in dishonor and humiliation; it is raised in honor and glory. It is sown in infirmity and weakness; it is resurrected in strength and endued with power. It is sown a natural, physical body; it is raised a supernatural (a spiritual) body. As surely as there is a physical body, there is also a spiritual body.)

c.  Many, 500 I believe,  saints rose from the dead when Jesus was resurrected and walked around, testifying!  When the living Bride of Christ is raptured, the dead in Christ shall rise first to meet Jesus in the air receiving their new bodies at that time, such as Jesus walked around in after His resurrection....he ate with the disciples, but was not held to earth by gravity, as He ascended to Heaven. There will be a resurrection of the dead unbelievers after the tribulation period, and they will receive their immortal bodies at that time....and then sent to hell (their choice, since they rejected God's free gift)

1. I believe this passage actually teach a body resurrection: When the Lord spoke to Ezekiel 37: 1-14.

5-6. This what the Sovereign Lord said to the bones: "I will make breath enter you, and you will come to life. (6) I will attach tendons to you and make flesh come upon you and cover you with skin; I will put breath in you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the Lord".

2. It teaches us that we will be in our live bodies at the resurrection.

3. This resurrection will take place when JESUS returns to this earth. Revelation 20: 11-14.

11-12. Then I saw a great white throne and Him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from His presence, and there was no place for them. (12) And I saw the dead great and small STANDING before the throne, and books were opened. Another book which was the book of life.

Q5. (Isaiah 26:19) Does this passage actually teach a bodily resurrection?
    Yes.  “Your dead will live; their bodies will rise.”  The 'body' that rises will be a physical body, just as Jesus's body was physical, but it will not be the body of flesh that died; it will be an incorruptible body.

Verse 19 tells us that there will be bodily resurrection.  It obviously refers to those who are the faithful, for they are told to “awake and sing.”   The resurrection of those who are to face judgment will come later.  Even as the dew causes new growth of life from the soil, so the Lord will bring forth new life to the faithful who have died.  In 1 Corinthians 15:35-49, Paul says:  

35 But someone will say, “How are the dead raised? What kind of body will they have when they come?” 36 Foolish one! What you sow does not come to life unless it dies. 37 And as for what you sow—you are not sowing the future body, but only a seed, perhaps of wheat or another grain.  38 But God gives it a body as He wants, and to each of the seeds its own body. 39 Not all flesh is the same flesh; there is one flesh for humans, another for animals, another for birds, and another for fish. 40 There are heavenly bodies and earthly bodies, but the splendor of the heavenly bodies is different from that of the earthly ones.  41 There is a splendor of the sun, another of the moon, and another of the stars; for star differs from star in splendor. 42 So it is with the resurrection of the dead:
    Sown in corruption, raised in incorruption;
    43 sown in dishonor, raised in glory; sown in weakness, raised in power;
    44 sown a natural body, raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.. . .
49 And just as we have borne the image of the man made of dust, we will also bear the image of the heavenly man.

When the trumpet sounds and Christ returns.

Yes and quite clearly too.

"But your dead will live;
their bodies will rise.
You who dwell in the dust, wake up and shout for joy.
Your dew is like the dew of the morning;
the earth will give birth to her dead." (26:19)

Seems pretty clear.

That is will occur after God has judged and punished mankind first.

It will be a bodily resurrection. The dead will rise.

After God's terrible judgement a time of healing and restoration will follow. We know from the New Testament that the dead will rise after the second coming of Christ. Those already asleep in death won't go through the tribulation. It'll happen after that.

Yes this passage does teach about a bodily resurrection ..in fact it is a prophecy of the first resurrection when Christ will come again andwhen the church's dead, and Christ's dead, the dead in him, will live again, and rise first, and come forth to the resurrection of life, and live and reign with Christ a thousand years:, just like many graves were opened and the dead came out and walked at the time of the crucifixion.;
 Christ's resurrection is the pledge and earnest of theirs; because he lives, they shall live also; he is the first fruits of them that slept: or as in like manner he was raised, so shall they; as he was raised incorruptible, powerful, spiritual, and glorious, and in the same body, so shall they; their vile bodies shall be fashioned like unto his glorious body

The  resurrection wont  come immediately ...first a great judgement will occur and Gods wrath will be manifest on those who have not believed and then He will bring His saints back to life.

According to the Book of Revelation which is the vision given the John the apostle by God Himself all things will be according to His description

Revelation 20:4

After the sixth trumpet is complete, the martyred saints will be harvested from the earth and the gospel ministry will end.This  is the 1st resurrection..

Then the rest of the nations outside Israel will be brought under the wrath of God ( Bowls 1-7)At the time the seventh bowl of wrath is poured out on the unrepentant mankind,Christ will return to the earth with the harvested saints and defeat Satan and his followers at the battle of Armageddon Christ will set up the next millenium when He will come back on the earth to complete the final and total restoration of the saints There will be the great white throne judgement and whoever is not in the book of life will be cast into the lake of fire.This is the second death.

After the millenium , all the saints will have reached full maturation and will no longer be short of the glory of God.  Saints will be able to look God in the face and not be overcome by the  radiance of His glory.

Rev 21:1    

Then He will recreate the new heavens and the new earth

And return once again to walk with His creation on earth.

From my study, this verse has been partially fulfilled. In Ezekiel 37:12, the dry bones coming to life has been fulfilled with both the nation of Israel returning from exile and the current nation sine 1948. On the other hand this verse will be double fulfilled according to Daniel 12:2 when bodies will be raised from the dead where some will rise "to everlasting life and some to shame and everlasting contempt."

This resurrection will come when Christ comes back again. In John 5:28-29, Jesus claims that all dead will hear His voice. The good will rise to a "resurrection of life," while the wicked will rise to a "resurrection of judgement."

Q5. (Isaiah 26:19) Does this passage actually teach a bodily resurrection? What this passage teaches me when it says "the the dead will live and their bodies will rise" is that the Nation Israel which was banished, judged dead, will one day "RISE" to be restored, is also to me a metaphor to the bodily “RESURRECTION" of the remnant of those who died to their sins and are anxiously waiting for the return of the Deliverer to come out of Zion, who are rejoicing that the days of God's mighty judgment will be over and that peace on earth has been ordained by God in that day.

Q5. (Isaiah 26:19) Does this passage actually teach a bodily resurrection? What does it teach us about resurrection? When will this resurrection take place, according to the New Testament?

The passage teaches bodily resurrection.

Those who have died in the Lord, the righteous will rise but not until the judgement.

The resurrection will take place when the Lord Jesus returns.

1.  Our soul and spirit will be resurrected to live eternally. And our body will rise having eternal character.
  2. Resurrection is the most important promise God promised to His people.
  3. John 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

Yes this passage actually teaches a bodily resurrection.  Jesus Christ was the first fruit of the resurrected and will we have bodies like Him at the end of this age at Jesus' second coming. 

Yes this passage actually teaches a bodily resurrection.  Jesus Christ was the first fruit of the resurrected and will we have bodies like Him at the end of this age at Jesus' second coming. 

• 2 weeks later...

Question 4.5

Yes, resurrection is what is taught. This wonderful promise which people never first comprehended is made clear to Isaiah by the situation of Israel and Judah.In Isaiah's time it must have been felt that there was no earthly way that the problems before the people could be mended. However Isaiah's faith and trust in Yahweh was so powerful that he knew that there was an answer to life's greatest problems. Yahweh, the Lord Yahweh provided to Isaiah the answer which comes to us in verse 19 of chapter 26. Isaiah. led by Yahweh comes to believe that the dead shall live, their corpses shall rise. The prophet does not know, anymore than we, in what form the resurrection of the dead shall occur. He just knows that we shall live. For the dew of God's morning for us, the dawn of a new day is a radiant dew that sparkles like a crown on our foreheads as we step forth to meet Christ as he stands waiting for us. (Question 4.4) In his prayers and fasts Isaiah must have received this unprecedented response from his Lord and he pours the response forth in these verses so that we so many years later can see the response and hear it preached.  We shall live forever with the Lord God , Yahweh. This was a rare utterance that is only repeated in the old testament in Daniel 12:2 but is certainly revealed for all to see and hear and experience by the birth, life, death and resurrection  of the Lord Jesus. It is this rebirth that gives us hope, hope that oppression will end and that all will live in peace as the wolf lies down with the lamb.

Question 4.5

Yes, resurrection is what is taught. This wonderful promise which people never first comprehended is made clear to Isaiah by the situation of Israel and Judah.In Isaiah's time it must have been felt that there was no earthly way that the problems before the people could be mended. However Isaiah's faith and trust in Yahweh was so powerful that he knew that there was an answer to life's greatest problems. Yahweh, the Lord Yahweh provided to Isaiah the answer which comes to us in verse 19 of chapter 26. Isaiah. led by Yahweh comes to believe that the dead shall live, their corpses shall rise. The prophet does not know, anymore than we, in what form the resurrection of the dead shall occur. He just knows that we shall live. For the dew of God's morning for us, the dawn of a new day is a radiant dew that sparkles like a crown on our foreheads as we step forth to meet Christ as he stands waiting for us. (Question 4.4) In his prayers and fasts Isaiah must have received this unprecedented response from his Lord and he pours the response forth in these verses so that we so many years later can see the response and hear it preached.  We shall live forever with the Lord God , Yahweh. This was a rare utterance that is only repeated in the old testament in Daniel 12:2 but is certainly revealed for all to see and hear and experience by the birth, life, death and resurrection  of the Lord Jesus. It is this rebirth that gives us hope, hope that oppression will end and that all will live in peace as the wolf lies down with the lamb.

Paul also speaks often of the resurrection that occurs for us. In 2 Corinthians 5:17 he writes "So if anyone is in Christ , there is a new creation: everything old has passed away; see everything has become new." It appears that the new creation occurs as soon as one becomes new with Christ. In 1 Corinthians 15 he speaks ecstatically of the resurrection of the body and when and how it occurs. He speaks of a physical body and a spiritual body. We will be changed, he writes   , we will become imperishable in Christ. We  be clothed by Christ in a new robe of righteousness placed upon us by the righteousness of Christ and shall live forever because of the amazing grace of the Lord Yahweh.

• 3 weeks later...

The passage Isaiah 26:19 actually teaches a bodily resurrection. it points to hope beyond the grave.

What this passages teaches us about resurrection is, that the dead in Christ will be reunited with their bodies which will be glorified.

According to the New Testament the resurrection will take place after God has brought judgment upon the earth because of the wickedness of the people and their sins.