JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...

Our God is a just God, he is beauty, good, truth, meek, kind, patient, just, compassion, gentle, peace, authority, power, glory and holy.  

The worst enemy of God's grace is inordinate pride, ****, covetous, gluttony, sloth, avarice, anger, for these build up a wall of rebellion against goodness and God's grace. These create ever greater shades of darkness and fear of divine light.

Yes, many times and this with great consistency for our God is a God of forgiveness, kindness, patience and love. I have experienced these things and goods of God not because of my own goodness, but because of God's benevolence towards all those who desire Him and have laid open their hearts and minds for Him to renew at His pleasure.

Humility, acknowledging our need for God acknowledging our dependence upon God. I would suggest for a more perfect insight into these matters to read and listen to the beatitudes of our Lord.  

(Isaiah 30:15-29) Why does God long to show us grace (30:18)? HE WANTS TO CONFORM US TO THE IMAGE OF HIS SON; TO DO THAT HE HAS TO GIVE US A CHANCE TO EXPERIENCE HIS GRACE AS A FORM OF JUSTICE.

What does that say about God's character? HE IS A PATIENT GOD OF MANY CHANCES.

What prevents his grace?  DISOBEDIENCE & REBELLION.

Have you ever experienced the kind of guidance Isaiah mentions in verse 21?  YES "This is the way; walk in it."

What is necessary in us so that we can hear God's voice? BEING STEEPED IN HIS WORD, WILLING TO LISTEN, TRUST, AND OBEY.

Our God wants to shows  us his grace because he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love! He wants us to be his children , bless us and establish his ways and thoughts in us and through us make his glory known.

He is a God full of love and mercy and compassion.

Man's disobidience towards God prevents his grace.

yes all the time i expereince his loving guidance which shows me the way-- This is the way , walk in it. when i choose to take those ways which seems to be narrow and difficult at times the end result is joy and peace and full of his goodness and blessings.

we should have a deep love for God and deep desire to please him. when we desire to give him the first place above everything and acknowledge him  as Lord and God in everything and  humble ourselves in his presence. we need to put our trust in him completely and then we are able to hear his loving voice that helps us walk in his ways that are profitable.

There is nothng that can compare to God's grace and flawless mercy.

the Bible shows us great consistency in His forgiveness, kindness, and because of God's benevolence towards all those who fear and seek Him and have laid open their hearts to Him to renew Acknowledging our dependence upon God is the surrender I seek to offer, the end of my Ego which oftern makes a bad worldly choice.

Slow and termpering refining of our gold, by our God; this is the path of Hope and Faith, and produces the love   

Q3. (Isaiah 30:15-29)

Q1. Why does God long to show us grace (30:18)?

he rises to show me compassion; for the LORD is a God of justice, blessed are all who wait for him!...He empowers; I will mount up as if on wings of eagle.

Q2. What does that say about God's character?

Beyond full understanding – He will hear my cry for help still his grace allows me to see my teachers.

Q3. What prevents his grace?

My own resistance, self-centeredness. Discipline means properly taught; my lack of discipline lets my pride sneak in like a thief.

Q4. Have you ever experienced the kind of guidance Isaiah mentions in verse 21?

Yes, Experiencing human being not a human doing.  When walking in Love and not in hostility and fear.

Q5. What is necessary in us so that we can hear God's voice?

When I am mindful and have abandoned myself to God. 

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2013 at 10:05 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Isaiah 30:15-29) Why does God long to show us grace (30:18)?

His great love for us... He is God, we are His children who are lost and terrified when left on our own...His love brings us into REST, TRUST, and PEACE. He FIRST loves us...this draws us into relationship with Him.

What prevents his grace?

Pride...the belief in the deception that we are able to care for ourselves, to exist and thrive  apart from God.

What does that say about God’s character?

He is Gracious, Merciful, Just, Kind, Peace, Joy, and desires companionship with His children, as a gentle Shepherd, not as a domineering, angry, tyrant!

Have you ever experienced the kind of guidance Isaiah mentions in verse 21?

This question made me smile! One of my deficiencies is a perceptual issue...I am direction challenged. When I've forgotten to ask for His help and I'm lost while driving, or forget where I parked the car at the mall. Lord, please help! and I hear the  whisper "Turn right" or "turn left at the corner"....but because I've learned how much I need Him, I receive this kind of guidance nearly every day for one thing or another...some big and some small. Last week while in Carmel  for our daughter's birthday, we were enjoying shopping and heard "go to the beach"...so we walked down to the beach and noticed people pointing and taking pictures. As we got close to the water we saw dorsal fins in the water....we had prayed before leaving home that He would direct our steps (Psalm 37) and delight our eyes to what would bring us joy.....to our amazement, there was a pod of about 20 dolphins, playing, turning back flips, and jumping near the shore. The seals were among them playing! In all the years we've gone to Carmel, seeing dolphins was a first....we watched them for an hour and when we turned to leave, they left too! This was a HUGE hug from our Father!

What is necessary in us so that we can hear God’s voice?

For me, first it was the awareness that He is speaking all the time! Then it was the desire and the NEED to hear His voice. I hear Him best when I'm at REST inside, and my mind isn't fretting and anxious. But He will speak in those moments too, when I am listening and expecting to hear Him. I "hear" Him when I read His Word. I hear Him when enjoying His creation. (He's given me parables through nature, when I asked Him "what is the point to parables?"....and He speaks into my life through them. Most recently a little male Junko who comes to our bird feeder, after his last meal in the evening, hops up on the roof top, throws out his chest and his beak pointing to Heaven, sings the most beautiful love song of praise and thanks to our God....a beautiful reminder for me to be thankful for the blessings of each day, before bed.

God, despite His judgements, is a compassionate God and a God of justice. He knows His judgements are harsh and I believe He takes no pleasure in delivering them. We're told in Scripture that God is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. But . . . and I always return to this point . . . God is, above all, holy. He cannot overlook sin as though it had not been committed. Thankfully He has set times for punishment and times for healing, when He will bring about a change of heart even in the most stubborn of people.

Although it doesn't seem that way when people experience God's punishment, God loves us. He is merciful, in spite of His anger towards sin. God longs to show us His grace. I don't pretend to understand the times God has set for punishment and the times He has set for restoration.

What prevents his grace?

Our stubbornness. In the days when Isaiah wrote this message Israel and Judah were stubbornly rejecting God's help in favor of an alliance with a country that couldn't be relied on.

I've had my conscience pricked at times when I was heading down the wrong path in decisions I'd made. But in the main, no.

Complete surrender to God. We need to let the Holy Spirit have His way in our hearts. While we are self-serving we can't experience God's guidance. How do we get to that kind of heart attitude? Humility is the key I think. While we're proud we aren't receptive to God's voice. He will never interfere with our free will. We have to want to hear God and, importantly, be willing to act upon His words.

1. God long to show us His grace because He is a God of justic and compassion and He loves us and do not want anyone to be lost.

2. God character demonstrates His love for us.

3. His grace is prevented when we are disobedience, not trusting in Him, and rebellious.

4. I experience this kind of guidance every day, walk in the right way. I know right from wrong, it is with me daily.

5. For us to hear God's voice we must place all our trust in Him. Wait on Him, Do not place our trust in man, money or material things.

Our God is an Awesome God; He is Just and loves us. He is a compassionate God, slow to anger and rich in love.   It tells us how patient God is that he ever waits to be gracious to all that come to him in faith.

Sin, Rebellion and disobedience prevent His grace.

Yes I have experienced God’s guidance as mentioned in Isaiah Verse 21.  Constant Prayer and a willingness to listen to God are necessary for us to hear God’s voice.

God longs to show us grace because He wants us!!! He longs to be gracious to us and to show us compassion. He loves us!!!

This tells me that God'd character is loving, long suffering, beautiful, good, patient and faithful.

The only thing preventing this grace is ourselves and if we refuse to accept it.

Yes, I have experienced the guidance Isaiah mentions in verse 21. Especially when I first came to the Lord and I didn't know the way. I was fearful to even take a step! I saw Him though, come like a shepherd and He walked with me, guiding me step by step, encouraging me. I have lost the fear I experienced then as I grew in trusting Him and I grew in His grace, but I do pray even now to hear His voice directing me in the way I should go.

It is necessary for us to hear His voice because He truly knows the way better than we do and we need Him not only every day but every minute to help us.

He loves us.  We are His creations.  Each of us is unique and He loves each one of us.  He longs for us to rest in Him, but while we stumble around in our own strength and turn left and right away from Him,  He has compassion on us, “not wanting any to perish but all to come to repentance” (2 Peter 3:9)

What does that say about God's character?
    He is patient, merciful, compassionate, loving, faithful, and just

What prevents his grace?
    Unbelief and rebellion.  These people turned away from God and instead trusted in Egypt.  Getting them to listen and obey Him was like trying to herd cats.  
     He longs for us to trust Him fully, to “let go and let God,” and He will bless us beyond anything we can imagine.  Like the Judeans, however, we seek help from the world while paying lip service to the power of the Almighty.

Yes.  Most recently when I chose the church congregation that I now attend: I prayed for His guidance and He directed my steps.  In hindsight, I realize that He was turning me to that congregation for some time before I finally made the choice–drawing my eye to them every time we passed by.  And since that time, my spiritual life has blossomed.  

What is necessary in us so that we can hear God's voice?
    "Be still and know that I am God."    We cannot hear His voice while we’re babbling or thinking what we’re going to say when we start talking again.  

Q3. (Isaiah 30:15-29) Why does God long to show us grace (30:18)? What does that say about God's character? What prevents his grace? Have you ever experienced the kind of guidance Isaiah mentions in verse 21? What is necessary in us so that we can hear God's voice? 

Why?  Because that is who He is.  Gracious, merciful, compassionate, loving.  His name will be glorified.

His character is holy, perfect goodness.

Stubbornness, pride, arrogance

Oh yes!

The Holy Spirit and humbling ourselves before our God.

God Bless!

Jen

Jude 21

To understand why it seems that God takes a long time to answer pleas for help and deliverance, we can read from Habakkuk 2:3-4:

"For still the vision awaits it's appointed time; it hastens to the end--it will not lie. If it seems slow, wait for it; it will surely come; it will not delay. . . The righteous shall live by faith."

God's will has perfect timing, and what seems as God taking too long, is God enacting his plan perfectly. Like a caring parent, God loves His children so much that He has to disciple us and/or test our faith with His "delays." Yet how marvelous is it that His child can trust Him enough, and as a result, be so blessed with His mercy, undeserved grace, and forgiveness.

As of late, I have been grateful for encountering God's guidance through His Holy Spirit. His Spirit has transform my mind and soul--all one has to do is submit, and prayerfully open one self to His power and craftsmenship.

Q3. (Isaiah 30:15-29)

Why does God long to show us grace (30:18)?

What prevents his grace?

We see God’s character vividly displayed here. He is patient, gracious, merciful, and just. It’s because of these attributes and His love for us, that He longs to show us His grace. But it is only for those of us who trust Him and are willing to patiently wait that God blesses. However, we are like naughty children unwilling to wait and in haste we carry on with our own schemes. It is often after having bumped our heads that our hearts and minds are opened, and we hear or even listen to the Holy Spirit’s guidance. I’ve been there and have learned my lesson. To hear God’s voice we need to turn to Scripture. “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work (2 Timothy 3:16-17). If only we would ask and be prepared to wait patiently for His answer, will we find the Holy Spirit’s guidance is always there to lead us and guide us in the right direction.

The lord longs to show grace and compassion...He loves to shower with blessings those who wait patiently for his leading..

This shows us that the Lord is gracious, compassionate and just. He loves us dearly and wants to shower us with His blessings but we just have to trust him

What prevents his grace?

Rebellion, Distrust, Impatience, Arrogance and Grieving the Holy Spirit.

Yes when we are disturbed and ask God for  guidance and a solution  then we surely hear Gods voice saying to us “ this is the way walk in it “

Repentance, Absolute submission, Forgiveness to the person who wrongs you , Forget grudges, Purpose to please God only, REMIND YOURSELF TO IMITATE JESUS  and then He will speak to you and answer you.

“Call upon the lord and He will answer you.”  Jerimiah 33:3 

Isaiah 30:15-29
Q). Why does God long to show us grace (30:18)?
A). He shows us grace so he will be exalted, that he may have mercy upon us. For the Lord is a God of judgment
#
Q). What does that say about God's character?
A). It says that God is patient, merciful and desires to pour His grace upon us.
#
Q). What prevents his grace?
A). Rebellion and obstinacy can prevent His grace. "Woe to the rebellious children,
saith the Lord, that take counsel, but not of me; and that cover with a covering, but not of my spirit, that they may add sin to sin" (30:1)
#
Q). Have you ever experienced the kind of guidance Isaiah mentions in verse 21?
A). I have heard the 'still small voice' sometimes.
#
Q). What is necessary in us so that we can hear God's voice?
A). Humility combined with reverence for the Lord and honor of his holiness.

Q3. (Isaiah 30:15-29) Why does God long to show us grace (30:18)? What does that say about God's character? What prevents his grace? Have you ever experienced the kind of guidance Isaiah mentions in verse 21? What is necessary in us so that we can hear God's voice? 

God longs to show us grace because He loves us and does not want to see us stay punished forever. 

Love, compassion and mercy are some of His characteristics.

What may prevent us getting His grace is when we/ His children do not turn and make ourselves/ themselves available for His grace.

Yes I have often experience God guiding me in taking some decisions and actions and when the result comes out beautifully, I will just burst in praises by singing “who is like unto thee...” as sung by the Israelites when God led them on dry ground to cross the red sea while the enemy was swept away by the sea water. Jesus is Lord indeed.

God's mercy and grace is there for those who have wisdom enough to see their sin and to fall on their knees in repentance and turn back to God. However, one day that door will be closed, today is the day while it is still today. 

Isaiah is encouraging Israel, those who are waiting on the LORD to stay faithful through the trials to come, for God will restore Israel, the nation to himself.

This tells me that "PATIENCE" is seen as a character of God (everything is done in God's timing) Isaiah prophesied that when they cry out for deliverance that the remnant of His chosen people will dwell in Zion at Jerusalem, for God is gracious and in his mercy he will hear their voice of repentance.

What prevents his grace?  
Because God is holy, holy, holy, it is the deliberate and willful "SIN" that turns one away from God, therefore sin prevents the covering of his grace to be upon us.

In order for one to hear the voice of God, It is necessary that one have a heart that is "WILLING" and open to hear and to follow the voice of God. 

It is a rebellious and lying people that "WILL NOT" hear the law, the voice of God, those who are disobedient to the voice of God are those who have contempt for God’s word, and it is because of their contempt that they will not hear the counsel of God and instead will put their trust in man, therefore desiring to hear a voice that speaks only the positive, deafening their ears in hearing the voice of the prophets, trusting instead in the wickedness and philosophy of the world.

God is compassionate.

God is righteous & full of grace.

Our rebellion and disobedience prevents His grace.

Yes, I think I have heard Him--His peace surrounds me.

We have to be open to His leading, have unbroken fellowship with Him and pray & be in the Word daily.

• 2 weeks later...

God longs to show us grace because He is a loving and gracious God who does not desire to bring us to destruction.

It says that He is a just God but that He is also compassionate and merciful. It says that He is holy and that He is love.

What prevents his grace?

Our rebellion and stubbornness and insistence that we do our own thing. When we come to that place it hinders the grace of God from flowing as it ought.

Yes

I think we must have a Spirit of humility and obedience. We must be willing to hear and respond knowing that sometimes what God wants from us is not always what we want for ourselves but we must be willing to do it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
Question 5.3

The Lord longs to be gracious to us because firstly he wants to show us compassion.  For being compassionate is to show love for the one towards whom compassion is shown.  Secondly for God is a God of justice and to show justice is to show a form of love.  Thirdly God is gracious to us because he is a God of steadfast love.  (Isaiah 63:7)  
Hence we can conclude that  God’s character is one of passion, love and justice.  More than this we cannot say because God is in some ways the unknown God of Karl Barth.  Because of God’s omnipotent power we cannot know him – to do so would be to risk ones safety.  Paul was struck blind from his vision, Moses was blanched white , God would only show his back to Elijah, and Peter spoke wildly at the transfiguration.    
Nothing prevents God’s grace from flowing but it seems that God’s grace can be slowed by people’s behaviour.  If people are ruthless, mockers, have an evil eye, those who make a person out to be guilty, those who snare, the defender in court with false testimony and deprive the innocent of justice, then God’s grace is slowed.  For God is angered by injustice.   In Adam and Eve case they listened to the voice of the serpent, Leviathan, and grace was interrupted until Jesus’ resurrection. (Romans 5: 17-18)
To a degree sometimes ones hears in “this is the way “in a quiet sense but some hear the word of God more clearly.  Abraham , Isaiah, Paul, Mother Teresa and all the greats of the church have heard the words strongly.  Some however misinterpret.
It is the Holy Spirit that speaks but self so often gets in the way and refuses to hear “this is the way”. 
Self damnable self
You lead yourself onwards
to the cliff, the abyss
that yawns
Oh Christ, dear Christ
show self the way
the way to the heart of others.
For you are wonderful
Great and kind. 
Oh please lead self
to pastures green
in quiet waters by.
To hear God’s voice we must trust and obey, we must be willing to put our hand in the hand of God and be willing to follow him along the way.

winstony

The reason that God longs to show us grace is because he is merciful. That shows that God has a character of wanting us to be with him. Our disobedience is preventing his grace.

I think that I have heard the kind of guidance because I do things that honor God and I know if I had to do it on my own I just wouldn’t do it. The thing that is necessary to hear God’s voice is to be right with him and read his word daily.

Q3. (Isaiah 30:15-29) Why does God long to show us grace (30:18)? What does that say about God’s character? What prevents his grace? Have you ever experienced the kind of guidance Isaiah mentions in verse 21? What is necessary in us so that we can hear God’s voice?

God's grace is shown through His love and compassion for us.  He is a faithful God and wants to bless those who love Him.  People prevent His grace by dismissing and ignoring Him. 

Yes.  Throughout my ministry I have discerned and clearly understood God's leadership and direction on what ways to travel.  God makes His way clearly known if you seek His direction and are listening to hear Him.  We must wait upon the Lord.

We must pray and seek His direction and we will hear God's voice speaking to us.  We must ready to hear Him speak.

Q3. (Isaiah 30:15-29) Why does God long to show us grace (30:18)? What does that say about God’s character? What prevents his grace? Have you ever experienced the kind of guidance Isaiah mentions in verse 21? What is necessary in us so that we can hear God’s voice? 

God's grace is shown through His love and compassion for us.  He is a faithful God and wants to bless those who love Him.  People prevent His grace by dismissing and ignoring Him.

We must pray and seek His direction and we will hear God's voice speaking to us.  We must ready to hear Him speak.