JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...

Momentary forgetfulness.

Momentary fears.

Momentary pride.

We must always be aware of our weaknesses and God's ability to rescue us from these. We must faithfully place our trust and hope and love in God alone. We must do our part actively participating in God's salvation plan for us, by living for God in all that we do. There is nothing too small or too big that we cannot hand over to God. In fact God will bless those who trust him alone especially in the little things, for when we learn to surrender the little things in our lives over to God we in time will learn to surrender not only the big things but everything over to God. We will learn to work, play, rest and sleep for God alone, offering every moment unto him. In this we will be greatly blessed and in his blessing he will be greatly glorified. 

Being content in want and in rich's is dependent upon our love for God. We must learn daily how to be content, and we do this by faithfully carrying our cross and laying our burdens at his feet. We achieve these attitudes and obedience not by our own strength, but rather by prayerfully in all area's of our life offering to Him everything especially our own wills and allow Him to do with us as he wills.  

Why do we tend to seek help from every source except the Lord? MAN IS VISIBLE-GOD IS NOT.  WE DON'T TRUST GOD OR OUR OWN JUDGMENT.  OTHER SOURCE APPEAR ACCESSIBLE AND AT THE TIME, MAKE SENSE.

In what way is this similar to idolatry?  GOD WILL SHARE HIS GLORY WITH NO MAN.  ANYTIME WE GO AWAY FROM GOD, HE SEES IT AS AN IDOL.

People haven't changed. Jesus recognized this tendency. What was the remedy he taught his disciples in Matthew 6:31-33?

SEEK GOD; IN THE END, HE ALWAYS WINS!!  IT IS HIS WORLD AND ALL THAT IS IN IT. 

when we fail to seek him we are sure that we seek help from every other source than him. when we fail to make God as our source of everything and we choose not to inquire of him we look for a source other than God himself as our help.

when God is not given the first place and we dont make him the source of our everything that place is surely taken by some other ! it can be my strength and knowledge, the wisdom of human beings or the voice of the world. These can take God's place and become idols . Idols of help and strength and it is a form of idolatory.

Jesus taught his disciples to be God centered. Inother words he pointed to them to source of all happiness in found in seeking God's kingdom. God reigning in us and we following his ways is end of all worry. when we seek God's kingdom all  that we need we will be added into our lives by our loving Father in heaven.

Q4. (Isaiah 31:1)

Q1. Why do we tend to seek help from every source except the Lord?

I tend to trust the ways of the world; that is where I think I can find relief.  I want my comforts more than I want the truth.

Q2. In what way is this similar to idolatry?

Whatever I put my attention to expands and can become more important that God.

(I shall not want)

Q3. People haven't changed. Jesus recognized this tendency. What was the remedy he taught his disciples in Matthew 6:31-33?

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. (what to eat, drink, wear..)

1. We tend to seek help fom other source rather than the Lord because we want a quick fix for our situation, and not willing to wait on Him.

2. This is similar to idolatry because a tendency to look for things or man's help, many times trusting in money to solve a problem.

3. JESUS taught his disciples to seek first the kingdom of God and all His righteousness and all these things will be added to you.

Sometimes our circumstances look so fearful and so immediate that we hesitate to wait on the Lord and advice and help from people looks very attractive as we want immediate relief and God seems far off in these situations.

When we put our trust in some person and fail to seek the Lord it is similar to idolatry. 

Jesus taught his disciples to put God First, when we seek his kingdom and righteousness all things shall be added unto us and we will be free from all kind of worry, Praise The Lord !!

4. (Isaiah 31:1) Why do we tend to seek help from every source except the Lord? In what way is this similar to idolatry? People haven't changed. Jesus recognized this tendency. What was the remedy he taught his disciples in Matthew 6:31-33? 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well

31 Woe to those who go down to Egypt for help,    who rely on horses, who trust in the multitude of their chariots and in the great strength of their horsemen,but do not look to the Holy One of Israel,    or seek help from the Lord.

Speaking for myself, it is shameful to think of Jesus on the cross and then reflect on my behavior what someone catche me off guard or I am really hungry, or tired. Relying on God and trusting 200% is what we are told to do in Matthew 6, but ..... for me I have alot of room to reflect and improve, and to let go and let GOD.

We tend to seek help from every other source except the Lord because we tend to walk more by sight than by faith. We want to grab onto what we "see" as opposed to having faith in an unseen God who is there to help us. Oh happy day when we learn to walk by faith and not by sight!!!

This is similar to idolatry because we are putting other people or things over God. In essence we are saying " I don't trust you God to help me. I need this person or these things to help me or to fill me."

The remedy Jesus gave His disciples (and us) was to learn to trust God. He points out that it is people who DON'T know God that do these things. For us who profess to know Him, we are to trust that God sees and knows our situations and everything we need. We are to see things in a spiritual way and we are to desire spiritual things and trust in the Spirit to provide for us. We are not to worry because we know He is faithful!

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2013 at 10:05 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Isaiah 31:1) Why do we tend to seek help from every source except the Lord? In what way is this similar to idolatry? People haven’t changed. Jesus recognized this tendency. What was the remedy he taught his disciples in Matthew 6:31-33? 

a.  I think it's because we have been conditioned to want instant gratification! He may make us wait (more than likely). At times tears or manipulation may bring us what we want, instantly, from those around us. But I think the most common one is that we simply forget to ask Him...so used to doing things ourselves. I've even heard different people at times say: God is busy...I don't want to bother Him with my needs. (That would fall into the category of either immaturity, or ignorance of Scripture....not knowing Him yet as Father.

b.  It's relying on others, preferring others as our source, rather than our Father God!

c.  Jesus said, Rather than fretting and worrying about our needs, remember that our Father knows we need them, and as we seek first His Kingdom..put Him first in our lives, all of our needs will be provided.

Q4. (Isaiah 31:1) Why do we tend to seek help from every source except the Lord?
    The Lord gives us strength and protection when we trust in Him, but we have to make the first move.  We first have to take that step of faith that demonstrates our confidence that He will act on our behalf and that whatever He decides for us is best.  Intellectually we know that this is absolutely true, but . . .then the doubts come.  What if there’s sin that I haven’t confessed, or someone I haven’t forgiven?  What if I’ve misunderstood what  He wants me to do?  What if...???  Let a doubt enter your mind and the devil has a field day with your insecurities.   So we turn to things that we know–worldly things.  We also want to deal with the ‘small things’ ourselves.  But the Lord tells us to bring all things to Him.

The Lord’s chosen people turned toward Egypt time after time, though He told them they were NEVER to go back to Egypt or to turn to Egypt for help.  Even Solomon, with all his wisdom, bought horses and chariots from Egypt in direct contravention of what God told him.
    Another example is King Asa.  When the prophet Azariah came to Asa and told him that the LORD would be with them as long as they remained faithful to Him, Asa had all the idols removed from the land, etc.   In 2 Chronicles 15:17b we are told that (though the high places were not removed) nevertheless the heart of Asa was perfect all his days.”  The times that Asa grew up in were not times of peace with the LORD; they were worldly times.  And there came a time later when Asa became very ill...“And Asa in the thirty and ninth year of his reign was diseased in his feet, until his disease was exceeding great: yet in his disease he sought not to the LORD, but to the physicians. And Asa slept with his fathers, and died in the one and fortieth year of his reign.” (2 Chronicles 16:12-13)
    2 Timothy 3:16 (NIV) “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,” so what are we to take away from 2 Chronicles?  Why are we told that in his disease Asa sought not to the LORD if it’s not to show us that our first move should always be to turn to the LORD?  That's not to say that we don't take aspirin or go to the doctor or to a hospital when we're sick.  There wouldn't be medicine and doctors and hospitals without Him.  It does mean that we bring in the LORD first, whether it's a cry for help on the way to the ER or a time on our knees seeking His guidance. 

In what way is this similar to idolatry?

We make idols of the things we think we need to survive and prosper–whether money or friends or government handouts, position, fame, family.  We look for things to fill up our lives in those areas where we’re weak.

Instead of first going to the Lord and asking Him to guide us, we go to the world and then ask the Lord to bless our choice, putting the Lord second.

People haven't changed. Jesus recognized this tendency. What was the remedy he taught his disciples in Matthew 6:31-33?

“Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you.” Matthew 6:33   It is a promise, and He is a promise-keeping God.  

We are to work with our hands to earn a living, but not to amass wealth like the farmer who had such a good crop he decided to build extra barns to keep the bounty and then he could retire and have enough forever.  His ‘forever’ turned out to end that very day. Instead, the Lord wants us to get on with the work of His kingdom.  So work–yes.  But make your focus His kingdom and don’t worry about what you’ll eat or wear or if you’ll be able to retire.  He’ll guide you in all things..

Q4. (Isaiah 31:1) Why do we tend to seek help from every source except the Lord?

From my own personal experience I'd say that a lack of answered prayer is the main reason why people seek help elsewhere. When I was married my wife used to suffer migraines. Not all the time but often enough to be a concern. I was a truck driver and because of the difficulty in getting someone to fill in for me I just had to go to work and leave her at home after making her as comfortable as I could. I'd be in tears some mornings crying out to God to heal her, to take the headache away. You know what? He NEVER did. Not once. Believe me I'd have gone to a witch-doctor if I thought it'd help her!

I myself have had some life-ruining mental heath issues over the years. I sought the help of a hypnotherapist when all else failed. When people who had hardly a sick day in their lives chastised me for that I just told them to walk a mile in my shoes. Get up every morning of your life and gag your guts out and see if you don't try any help available. Sit at home too paralyzed with agoraphobia to walk out the front door and see if you don't run, tranked to the eyeballs, to someone like a hypnotherapist to try and get de-programmed so you can return to something like a normal life.

Eventually I did get some relief from a lady who practiced a deliverance ministry. But even she was working under a spirit of error at the time. Satan managed to ruin her ministry.

I atended the Healing Rooms a couple of years ago and received REAL deliverance from demonic possession and oppression which also facilitated some physical and mental healing.

I don't think it is. God provides humanity with medical science and other therapeutic means to healing. Do we call the elders to annoint us with oil when we have a cold or do we take a Codral cold and flu tablet and carry on? Do we take our kid who broke his arm to the hospital to have it set or do we take him to church and have the pastor pray for him? It's not like we worship worldly things when we seek help for real problems when none is forthcoming from God.

People haven’t changed. Jesus recognized this tendency. What was the remedy he taught his disciples in Matthew 6:31-33?

Jesus taught us to seek first the Kingdom of God and what He requires of us and all our material needs will be provided for. That takes more faith than I have.

Q4. (Isaiah 31:1) Why do we tend to seek help from every source except the Lord? In what way is this similar to idolatry? People haven’t changed. Jesus recognized this tendency. What was the remedy he taught his disciples in Matthew 6:31-33? 

We don't see God.  We see what is visible to us.  Also we like the clubs, belonging to the world and importance.

Anything we put over God is idolatry.

Matthew 6: 31-33  Take no thought saying, What shall I eat? or what shall I drink? or wherewith shall we be clothed. 

(For after all these things seek the gentiles) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.  

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness , and all these things shall be ministered unto you.

God Bless!

Jen

Jude 21

Q4. (Isaiah 31:1)

Why do we tend to seek help from every source except the Lord?

People haven't changed. Jesus recognized this tendency.

What was the remedy he taught his disciples in Matthew 6:31-33? 

I think we always want to be in control and demand instant answers. If we ask the Lord we might have to wait awhile and then we might not get the answer we were waiting for. Because of our pride we land up putting our trust in our own plans or those of our advisors instead of in our Heavenly Father. Jesus taught us to put God first in our lives, and to acknowledge Him in everything we do. He then went on to promise us that we will never lack the necessities of life. What a mighty Saviour we serve!

Q4. (Isaiah 31:1) Why do we tend to seek help from every source except the Lord?

We seek help from all and sundry and we keep looking for connections and openings where we can find a resource to help us...we lack FAITH in God who has all power to do anything ..while sitting in your   house he can provide a spouse for marriage without you going out to search for one....he can provide a new fantastic job and throw you out of your old job without your  even suspecting it....The Lord’s plans aare marvellous. We just have to go along with HIS WILL .. that is important.  It is very difficult. We see so many opportunities and ways to solve the problem so we run amock.

When we worship idols we put our trust in a statue made of mud/clay...that really amounts to nothing ...it has no power, cannot speak , cannot see, hear or act..whereas Our God has the power which could rasie Jesus from the dead and much more.

When we put our trust in abstract idols like Riches , position, fame they are all transient and will end one day but our God is Eternal having an unchanging , unceasing, unconditional love for us  ...only we do not realise it .

Jesus tells us to seek first the kingdom of God and all the things we need will be given to us...only unbelievers run after these materialistic values and things of this world but our heavenly Father knows what we need and He will provide them before we even ask for it.

We may only want help for a specific problem and we turn to God--but in making it a daily habit, some people back away because they do not want the "trusting and obeying" part of a relationship with God. Thus we turn to other sources of assistance so we will not feel "obligated" to God. We seek out help from anything we can manipulate and what will bring US success.

Yet God does not work that way. Those who go against God will inevitably fail and be overwhelmed by despair. God works all things for good that love Him. Although we may think we know what is best for us or we only trust in what we sense with the flesh, god knows what is best for all of us! If we seek first the things of the kingdom of God, instead of fretting and worrying over worldly concerns, God will richly bless, protect and guide us to great things we sometimes could not even imagine. Praise God!

Isaiah 31:1
Q). Why do we tend to seek help from every source except the Lord?
A). In times of fear, doubt and anxiety it's often easier to trust and rely on things that seem like probable solutions rather than trust in the unseen God.
#
Q). In what way is this similar to idolatry?
A). It's like idolatry because we put our trust, faith and hope in things rather than having faith in God only.
#
Q). People haven't changed. Jesus recognized this tendency. What was the remedy he taught his disciples in Matthew 6:31-33?
A). Trust God to supply all our needs and seek the kingdom of God above all other things.

Q4. (Isaiah 31:1) Why do we tend to seek help from every source except the Lord? In what way is this similar to idolatry? People haven't changed. Jesus recognized this tendency. What was the remedy he taught his disciples in Matthew 6:31-33? 

We seek help from everywhere except the Lord probably because at the time of need we are driven by sight not by faith on the God that cannot be seen.

This is similar to idolatry because we allow something/ someone to replace God in our lives.

He taught the disciples and still teaches us today that we should seek the kingdom of God first and his righteousness and everything we need will be given to us as well. This means that we should seek to serve Him and live to obey and please Him, then He who is our Great shepherd and warrior will provide all our needs and be there to fight and win our battles for us.

1. WHY SEEK HELP FROM EVERY SOURCE EXCEPT THE LORD.

- Seeing and living in carnality

- Not having faith in God.

- Believing in the lie of the devil.

2. IN WHAT WAY IS THIS SIMILAR TO IDOLATRY?

- Both display lack of faith in God.

- Both shift reliance on God to. reliance on man/ idols

3. JESUS NOTED THIS IN MATHEW 6: 31-33 AND THE REMEDY HE OFFERED WAS

- Seeking first Gods Kingdom and its righteousness, Putting God first in all things.

I seek The Lord with all my heart, but...sometimes the frustration of the moment gets to me and I get caught up in the moment instead of seeking God. Two days ago I tried to help Edgar get a passport so he could go to Mexico for surgery. We went to the passport office to get the nec. papers. We ran around town getting the necessary photos, signatures, and letters of recommendation. Then copied all as stated on the passport list. This took me away from work for a full 5 hours. Breathless we arrived at the passport office to find they rejected the papers because there was liquid paper (white out) on two of them. They also rejected one of the recommendations bcuz of a sentence in it. Also in the process two of the photos got smeared with ink that the signer used on the back. Argh! A whole day's work was wasted. It was so frustrating and I got angry..not with Edgar, or immigration bcuz you can't get angry with them and get what you need. I wasn't angry with God. I was just so angry that I had given a day's work to do something that resulted in nothing. Plus I was going to have to spend the money to make copies again, get new photos. I was going to have to go back and ask the doctor to write the letter again and probably pay him a second time. Sigh. If I was trusting God, if I was seeking him and listening to the way I should go I could have been a good example for Edgar instead of a crazy, frustrated, person. But I thank God for this lesson about getting caught up in the frustration of the moment. We did the whole thing again the next day, paid everything all over again, and turned in the papers...which were accepted. Ranting doesn't help...it's not the way God wants his servants to act. I need to seek The Lord in the midst of the overwhelming difficult moments.

Humans naturally seek humans. We need the supernatural mindset--our eyes fixed on Jesus---ever ready.

In adolatry we allow something to take away our love, affection, trust from God to another thing or person.

Seek ye FIRST the kingdom of God and His righteousness, then all these things shall be added unto you.

Only a fool would seek help elsewhere, but for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Serving other gods is that of idolatry.

When Jesus said, take no thought, do not be negative and anxious to what you shall eat, drink, or to be clothed in, for this is what the Gentiles seek after, he was relating this to Lev 25:20 And if you shall say, What shall we eat the seventh year (year of Jubilee) because we did not sow, nor did we gather in our increase - for such are those of little faith, disbelieving the promise as those not belonging to God, Jesus revealed to them, it is by "faith" and "obedience" that they will be able to take no thought of tomorrow and will say, "The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me."

• 3 weeks later...
Question 5.4

In this day and age, we have put great stock into the scientific method and in scientific reasoning.  This reasoning and method have brought great results and changes to our world so that people in this age put great emphases on this method for the results that were obtained and therefore we tend to engage in the same procedure.  Even theology tends to follow in line .  People of Isaiah age look to the mercantile and training methods of merchants cities such as Tyre.  Great faith and trust were put in these methods as we can see from Isaiah’s message.    In both this age and in the 7th century B.C. people failed to realize that God is the comptroller of all situations.  The prophets had a lively skepticism of financial systems like Tyre and the present capital system which prostrate themselves before false idols in order to obtain greater wealth.  Such hoarding of wealth is an abhorrence to the Lord.  Isaiah suggests that when the day of the
 Lord will come “Her merchandise and her wages will be dedicated to the Lord; her profits will not be stored or hoarded, but her merchandise will supply abundant food and fine clothing for those who live in the presence of the Lord”. (Isaiah 23: 18) This will be the day of the Lord’s coming.
In order to hear God’s voice we need then to trust the Lord, love him with all our hearts and our neighbor as ourselves.  This is also the message of Jesus in Matthew 6:31-33 do not worry trust in the Lord to provide.

winstony

I think that the reason that we seek help from every source except the Lord is that we think that we have to be in control. So if we see help from others we can see the results immediately. The way that this is idolatry is that we are going to someone else and not to God for help. In other words we are worshipping that other person instead of God.

The remedy that Jesus taught his disciples is that we are not to be anxious in anything. We are to seek the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all things will be added to us.

Q4. (Isaiah 31:1) Why do we tend to seek help from every source except the Lord? In what way is this similar to idolatry? People haven’t changed. Jesus recognized this tendency. What was the remedy he taught his disciples in Matthew 6:31-33? 

We seek help from every source except the Lord because we don't trust Him and don't wait upon Him.  We dismiss Him. This is similar to idolatry in that we displace God with something or someone else.  Which usually ends up with complications.

Jesus taught his disciples not to worry about anything.  Seek the Kingdom of God first and everything else will be provided by God.  Focus on today because today is a full time job. Tomorrow will take care of itself.