JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Battle Is the Lord's

• 2 months later...

What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord? ACKNOWLEDGING THAT THE INSULT AND THE THREAT WAS MORE TO THE LORD THAN HEZEKIAH

What is the underlying principle illustrated here?  WITHOUT GOD, WE ARE ALREADY DEFEATED!

How can we apply this principle to our own lives?  REMEMBER HEZEKIAH'S PRAYER AND FORM A PERSONAL PATTERN.

What happens when we don't apply this principle? WE BECOME VICTIMS RATHER THAN VICTORS.

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2013 at 10:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Isaiah 37:14) What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy’s message before the Lord?

It was an acknowledgement that this battle was the Lord's!... it was surrender to God's Sovereignty, the only way that deliverance would come. In doing so, He was also seeking guidance for what his own role would be, if any through prayer.

What is the underlying principle illustrated here?

I believe it's a demonstration of Hezekiah's subjection to the Lord. "You're God, I'm only your servant., and am powerless ..I'm listening for instructions".

How can we apply this principle to our own lives?

I've learned to do this from experience of trying to solve things on my own with a negative outcome....Now with a negative report, a bill that was more than expected and no money to pay the difference, a troubling letter from a family member, unresolved relationship or childhood issues, whatever!....I literally lay it out before him, confessing my utter dependence upon Him, then in prayer, ask what He wants to do (acknowledging the He's God and I'm clueless)...and how He would have me respond. If I'm in fear, I ask for faith to increase to trust Him for impossible situations.

What happens when we don’t apply this principle?

If I forget or fail to turn the problem over to Him, I feel overwhelmed, then worry and fret (In spite of His command to "Fret Not" Ps 37)  If I leave my Father out of what feels like it's my battle  it's never a good outcome. From these failures, wisdom has taught me to stop, wait and listen for instructions!

I love this quote from Ann Voskamp ("1,000 gifts"...a book about God's grace and gratitude that has changed my life!) "Worry is belief gone wrong....because you don't believe He'll get it right...But, Peace is belief that exhales, because you believe that God's provision is everywhere like the air."

Q1. (Isaiah 37:14) What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord?
    Hezekiah turned the problem over to the Lord.  And his prayer for deliverance acknowledged the true worth of victory over the enemy–glorifying the name of God.
    The  Lord already knew what Sennacherib wrote in that blasphemous message; He didn’t need to see it.    He wanted Hezekiah’s acknowledgment of His sovereignty-- that the battle was Lord’s to fight, that victory was the Lord’s.  When Hezekiah laid that message before the Lord, he humbled himself and worshiped the Lord as the One true God who has dominion over all things.  He acknowledged the Lord’s throne above any earthly throne, and he prayed for deliverance from the hand of the enemy, surrendering to the will of the Lord.    

The underlying principal is that the battle is the Lord’s, and we are to let Him fight it.  He leads, we obey.  Ephesians 6:12 “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.”

Acknowledge that our battles are the Lord’s too.  So we should take our concerns to the Lord, in believing prayer, and leave them there.  When you acknowledge that the battle is the Lord’s, you must acknowledge your own humility at the same time.  He is the commander.  The power to overcome our difficulties comes from the Lord.    
    I have yet to find a Scripture verse that says we only bring the big things to the Lord.  He wants to hear everything!   “In nothing be anxious; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” (Phil. 4:6 ASV)   When we bring our problems before the Lord, we acknowledge Him as Lord of our lives, the sovereign Lord.   Take your problems to Him.   Take your victories to the Lord and thank and praise Him for His grace, for all our victories are His.  

What happens when we don't apply this principle?
    We get discouraged.  We take on the weight of a battle we can’t fight on our own, and we struggle with it until we are defeated, or we quit.

Q1. (Isaiah 37:14) What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord? What is the underlying principle illustrated here? How can we apply this principle to our own lives? What happens when we don't apply this principle? 

Hezekiah showed the letter to God in a show of complete faith in Jehovah God who sees and hears all before we even know anything about it.

We can and should go to God first in complete faith and trust for God knows and God cares about his own and the  insults thrown at Him by our enemies 

1 Peter: 5:7 says Cast all your anxiety  on Him because He cares for you.  We need to approach the throne of grace for everything big and small and rely on His complete mercy for His own.

If we don't apply this to our lives we will strive and worry to solve concerns on our own.  We will rely on our own thoughts and strengths (although I don't know what strengths those could be except we are silly enough to think we have some) and be led astray to terrible consequences. How sad when we have such a friend in Jesus.  We will be tired, anxious , angry and sad.  It is so simple, take it to the Lord in prayer.

God Bless you all,

Jen

Jude 24, 25

Q1. (Isaiah 37:14) What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy’s message before the Lord?

Hezekiah is handing the problem over to God. He knows that God is the one who is being belittled by a mere man in the commander of the Assyrian forces and he is publicly letting God know that he expects God, through his faith in Him, to respond to the insults. This is an act of faith that Hezekiah performs at a time when all seems lost. This action would have certainly been public knowledge and would have given the people hope as well. Their king was giving God the right of reply.

The battle is not ours but the Lord's.

In this day and age we're expected to nut things out for ourselves; and to hand a problem over to God is a copout in most people's eyes. But God still expects us to do it. We ourselves have to do what we can, just like Hezekiah did, but we also have to know when we've done all we can do in and of ourselves. Sometimes a problem may be just too hard and we have no choice but to "let go and let God". It is at those times that our faith is built up. The verse most non-Christians quote: "God helps those who help themselves" isn't in the Bible anywhere. God helps those who can't help themselves. He is the One who defends the defenseless. He is the one who helps the helpless. That IS in the Bible!!

Well, to a greater or lesser extent we're going to come undone. If we try to control everything in our lives we'll end up having a nervous breakdown or worse. Don't expect your carefully laid plans to succeed without involving God in them and don't blame Him when they don't succeed because you didn't. Unless the Lord is with the builders they labor in vain.

Q1. (Isaiah 37:14)

What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord?

Hezekiah was in desperate trouble, and being a man of God, turned to God for help. Before he had made any plans he went to the temple and prayed to the Lord. After receiving this menacing letter, and having been encouraged by Isaiah’s assurances, he appealed to God spreading the letter before Him. The underlying principle illustrated here is the fact that when we are in trouble and face difficulties we are to lay them out before God. If we acknowledge Him in everything we do, we will automatically be in fellowship with Him and will be led by the Holy Spirit. No problem is too great for our Heavenly Father. By not applying this principle we can only make matters worse. 

Isaiah 37:14
Q). What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord?
A). He reads it to God and observes that the insult is to the living God far more than it is to Hezekiah himself. God himself has been insulted, and He must respond.
#
Q). What is the underlying principle illustrated here?
A). The principle is: "The battle is the Lord's!"
#
Q). How can we apply this principle to our own lives?
A). When we actually believe that the battle is the Lord's to fight, then we let him be the general and just 'follow' His orders. Yes, we're under the stress of battle, but not the stress of trying to play God when we let Him direct our paths (see Proverbs 3:6). "And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God." -Mark 11:22. "...for the battle is not yours, but God's." -2 Chronicles 20:15
#
Q). What happens when we don't apply this principle?
A). when we try to be the general in God's battles we get discouraged. We give up. We fold our tents and go home. We can't handle it.

Q1. (Isaiah 37:14) What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord?

Hezekiah feels the letter is insulting and humilating to God of Israel rather than to Hezekiah and he cannot stand that his  GOD is being defamed or dishonoured and so he prays to God to take over the situation ...He wants  the Lords honour to be restored...and he has full confidence and faith that God will destroy the enemy inspite of their mighty army and capability.

What is the underlying principle illustrated here?t

The underlying principle is “ the battle is the Lords “ Be still and know that I  am God.

When we are under stress ...we are to submit our problem to the Lord and let him handle it in His own way ...we have to wait on the Lords action and not endeavour to solve the problem with our might and tactics.

Allow the Lord to lead the army and be the general in command.

When we try to solve our problems on our own we fall flat.. we may achieve something but that is far below what the Lord intended for you ..sometimes it may turn out disastrous for us to rely on our own will and decisions.

Hezekiah feels the letter is insulting and humilating to God of Israel rather than to Hezekiah and he cannot stand that his  GOD is being defamed or dishonoured and so he prays to God to take over the situation ...He wants  the Lords honour to be restored...and he has full confidence and faith that God will destroy the enemy inspite of their mighty army and capability.

What is the underlying principle illustrated here?t

The underlying principle is “ the battle is the Lords “ Be still and know that I  am God.

When we are under stress ...we are to submit our problem to the Lord and let him handle it in His own way ...we have to wait on the Lords action and not endeavour to solve the problem with our might and tactics.

Allow the Lord to lead the army and be the general in command.

When we try to solve our problems on our own we fall flat.. we may achieve something but that is far below what the Lord intended for you ..sometimes it may turn out disastrous for us to rely on our own will and decisions.

saiah 37:14) What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy’s message before the Lord? What is the underlying principle illustrated here? How can we apply this principle to our own lives? What happens when we don’t apply this principle? 

He gave the problem to God. He knew that he himself could not fight the battle

We have to do the same thing. We must know we can come to God with our priblems.

If we dont do this we show that we depend on ourselves. We will have fear because we will know that in ourselves we will fail, yet so often we still rely only on ourself

Although God already knows the situation and eventual results, Hezekiah does not try to fight Assyria by himself, but includes and communicates the problem to The Lord. By laying out the letter in front of God Hezekiah acknowledges that the battle is the Lord's and not his own personal secret and problem. Furthermore, Hezekiah stresses that the issue was not the Assyrians mocking him and his subjects, but that the Assyrians arrogantly mock the true living God Almighty.

When challenged or confronted by spiritual enemies or earthly rivals, one must turn to God. He has promised numerous times that He is a person's refuge and salvation if they call upon Him. He has the power and wisdom to defeat ANY opponent. If we do not allow God to fight HIS battle, then we will most likely face defeat, discouragement, and eventually surrender to human desires and "oppression."

Q1. (Isaiah 37:14) What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord? What is the underlying principle illustrated here? How can we apply this principle to our own lives? What happens when we don't apply this principle?

This is a recognition of surrender and helplessness; showing he was in an impossible situation. That the battle was the Lord's, that the enemy had defined the Lord, the worst action one could do.

Hezekiah, recognized he was desperate and could only rely on God's promise for his people. This required a faith we rarely show to God when times are tough.

Somehow we must learn to do this, to trust HIM more and more.

Praying for strength, wisdom, and the presence to know we are powerless, and need HIM always

Thank you Dr. Wilson for this clear explanation and references to 2nd Kings. In my own reading of the passage I had only a surface understanding

Q1. Etc. I don't feel the need to repeat what the others have said so well but I will answer the last part of the question:

I pastor a church in an area where Satan has a strong foothold. Last week I learned that one of the young men who was a Bible teacher and adept at memorizing scripture, was fired from his job because of persistent drunkeness. Another man who was at one time full of the Spirit and taught biblical wisdom with clarity and God's direction...has for a month now been "too tired to come to church". another woman, a cornerstone lied about being sick and not coming to church. I wonder what to do. Am I doing something wrong? I don't think so....except this: I must totally lay the battle before The Lord. I can visit and talk and be lied to...but the battle is the Lord's .

1. Hezekiah was just reminding the LORD that the enemy's message was against Him.

2. The underlying principle is: Trust in the LORD and He will fight our battles.

3. We can apply this principle to our lives by: Going before the LORD with all of our burdens and problems, trusting in Him to fight for us.

4. When we don't apply these principles our battle are lost.

I would like to add, there have been many times in my life when it seem there was no way out of  situations I was in. I took it all to the LORD and because of His mercy and compassion, He gave me victory in all these situation.

"Glory and praise to His Holy Name in our Lord JESUS CHRIST."

Isaiah spread the letter of insult and threat of the enemy before the Lord because he recognised that his challenge was God’s challenge. He therefore trusted the Lord to rise, fight and deliver him from the enemy’s threat and power.

The underlying principle here is that on our own we cannot succeed and need to turn to God, our refuge and redeemer to deliver us from our challenges.

If we do not do this, we end up getting frustrated and may even fail.

The significance of Hezekiah spreading the enemy's message before the Lord was to seek the Lord's help and strength in a situation where he couldnt solve himself. Hezekiah understood this battle was not his to fight but the Lord's. He put his trust in the Lord and he realised only God could conquer the enemy who insulted the living God.

The principle we find here is we cannot fight any given situation in our strength or rely on our human wisdom to solve the problem. In humility we need to turn to our loving God and surrender to his ways and acknowledge that God is our strength and our deliverer and only with his strength the impossible becomes possible!

when we face adverse circumstances we need to come into his presence and praise and worship the living God. As we worship him we are filled with his peace and strength and then we can hear his voice that comforts us and guides us to conquer the situation with him as our strength.

when we dont seek God and his help we are not able to win the battles that we face.

The significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemies threats before the Lord is that he took the words of the enemy to God and observed to Him that the insults were not so much towards himself but that they were directed at God. His pleas is that God Himself has been insulted and so He should respond.

The underlying principle here is that we can turn similar situations over to God. The battle isn't our own but it belongs to the Lord.

When we don't apply these principles, the insults we receive become about "us" and our own pride. When we recognize that those insulting us are really insulting God and His holy principles, then we can humble ourselves and ask for help in a Godly way, calling on God's justice, not our own and so sparing us from entering into our own sin.

He was humbling himself before God, submitting the problem before him.

Hezekiah realized that only God had the wisdom & power in this situation, not Hezekiah himself.

Instead of trying to handle things in our own puny wisdom, or waiting til we have tried everything else first, we should take it to the Lord right away.

When we don't apply this principle, we have a better chance to make the situation worse or add to it.

Q1. (Isaiah 37:14)

Q1. What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord?

He reads it to God and observes that the insult is to the living God far more than it is to Hezekiah himself. God himself has been insulted, and he must respond.

Q2. What is the underlying principle illustrated here?

The principle is: The battle is the Lord's!" This is not an excuse to do nothing. Hezekiah has made all the military preparations he can, but now is the time to look to the Lord. Consider:

Q3. How can we apply this principle to our own lives?

But when we actually believe that the battle is the Lord's to fight, then we let him be the general and just follow his orders. Yes, we're under the stress of battle, but not the stress of trying to play God.

Q4. What happens when we don't apply this principle?

Think of the pressure we take upon ourselves when we try to be the general in God's battles. We get discouraged. We give up. We fold our tents and go home. We can't handle it.

Q1 (a) what is the significance of spreading out the enemies message before the Lord?

My answer :-

On one hand Hezekia had taken several steps in anticipating conflict with Sssyria and on the other hand the insults had been made to God and was giving God room to Act.

Q1 (B) What is the underlying principle illustrated here?

" The battle is the Lords" He had done his part and now was awaiting onto God.

Q1 © How can we apply this message to our own lives?

My Answer:-

We should ensure we do our part even as we leave God to fight our battles

Q1 (d) What happens if we don't apply this principle?

We loose in the battles that sre before us.

When Hezekiah receives the letter, he brings it before the Lord and spreads it out for God to read. He reads it to God and observes that the insult is to the living God far more than it is to Hezekiah himself. God himself has been insulted, and he must respond.

The principle is: "The battle is the Lord's!" This is not an excuse to do nothing. Hezekiah has made all the military preparations he can, but now is the time to look to the Lord.

When we are faced with the daily battles of life we can apply this principle, that is, instead of we trying to solve our problems in our own wisdom and might, we let God be the general in all our preparations and follow God’s orders. 

When we do not apply this principle we may get discouraged very soon and loose the battle without God.

What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy’s message before the Lord?

1.  He reads it to God and observes that the insult is to the living God far more than it is to Hezekiah himself. God himself has been insulted, and he must respond.

2.  The battle is the Lord's

3.  Bring our problems to the Lord and let Him fight our battles.  We must trust that He will do that.

4.  We may loose the battle.  We get discouraged. We give up.

I believe when Hezekiah spread out the Assyrian's arrogant and blasphemous message before his LORD, the God of Israel, the Lord of Host who is enthroned above the cherubim, who commands an army that is above all armies, the significance to me reveals not only does Hezekiah fear God, he also has a "HUMAN LIKE" relationship with the God Almighty, a significance that displays a man of great "FAITH" – Hezekiah easily spread the message out before God for him to see and hear their pride and arrogance was placed in their god's. 

Hezekiah was only human, he knew how strong and mighty they, the Assyrian’s were, as they blatantly concurred nations, however, Hezekiah knew the might of the Assyrian’s did not stem from their gods, he knew the problem was the sin of God's covenant people, and it was the LORD'S instrument of judgment that was set against them, a disobedient and wicked people of covenant.

The underlying principle is to make sure we walk in faith and in obedience, that we be a covenant people that are faithful. 

We can expect testing’s to come, to prove us.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Isaiah 37:14) What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy’s message before the Lord?

Hezekiah was acknowledging the fact that he recognised that the insult was not against him but against the Lord. He recognised that God would respond unlike the other gods the people had to fight for Yahweh the one true and living God would fight for His people. He would defend His own name and honor.

We must recognise that God is all powerful and He is fully capable of fighting His battles. In addition, we must not become so puffed up with pride that we develop a god complex thinking that we can fight for ourselves. Hezekiah understood his role in the battle and he recognised God's.

How can we apply this principle to our own lives?

While it is easier said than done we too must allow God to fight His battles. We must refuse to become so insulted that we start to fight on our own behalf. We must see insults leveled at us as really an attack on God. Just as Saul was persecuting God by killing Christians when others attack us they are really attacking God. We must see the attack for what it is knowing that it is not against flesh and blood that we are fighting but against principalities and powers. Therefore, we should do our part and present the matter before God, do all that we can in preparation and let God fight the battles.

What happens when we don’t apply this principle? 

When we do not apply this principle we fight and we are defeated. This is because we are no match for the enemy on our own. If we attempt to fight him on our own we will be defeated, destroyed and enslaved.