JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Comfort for God's Weary People

Q1. (Isaiah 40) What does Isaiah 40 teach us about the necessity of preparing ourselves for the Lord (verses 3-5)? About God’s tenderness and compassion (verse 11)? About God’s glory vs. the glory of nations (verses 15-17)? Why do we get so enamored by the glitter and glory of the world? What pieces are we missing (verses 15-17, 21-26)? According to verse 31, how can we draw strength from the Lord?

• 2 months later...

Q1. (Isaiah 40) What does Isaiah 40 teach us about the necessity of preparing ourselves for the Lord (verses 3-5)?

Verse 3 tells us that a voice call out in the wilderness to prepare the way. This of course points to John the Baptise whose main message was "Repent for the Kingdom of God is near"

So if we want to prepare for the Lord, we have to repent from our sins.

John baptized the people to indicate that they were willing to follow his teachings

We must be baptized to indicate publically that we are following the teachings of Jesus.

It could also point to history, God called His children to the dessert to prepare them for the Promised Land (for 40 years). Most of us think God called them to the Promised Land, but each time Moses went to Pharaoh he asked to go to the dessert to pray.

So part of our preparation is prayer.

In the wilderness God also spoke to the nation but they didn't want to hear His voice.

We must seek the Kingdom of God and seek to know Him intimately.

God separated the nation from Egypt and the rest of the world to ask them to be a nation consecrated for him.

So we must set ourselves apart from the world to belong to Him -In the world, not of the world.

God gave Israel commandments and instructions of how to be a nation for Him

So we must be obedient to His calling, His Word and the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

God led them through the dessert.

So we must follow where He leads us.

There is much, much more to add here, it will be a sermon on its own.

About God’s tenderness and compassion (verse 11)?

That God is tending to us like a Shepherd. This is another comparison that can be expanded in big detail. The 2 passages that come to mind 1st are of course Ps23 and John 10 but there are many more. God makes it very clear that He cares for us deeply and with Almighty love and tenderness.

About God’s glory vs. the glory of nations (verses 15-17)?

It is not comparable, in fact it is a joke to try to compare the Creator of everything to anything on earth, there is nothing you can multiply by anything to come close

Why do we get so enamored by the glitter and glory of the world? What pieces are we missing (verses 15-17, 21-26)?

We focus on what is around us, instead of focussing on the Almighty. We pay way too much attention to our needs NOW instead of living for God and eternity. We serve ourselves and fleshly desires instead of serving THE AWESOME GOD ALMIGHTY forever and ever.

According to verse 31, how can we draw strength from the Lord?

We must have hope. We must know that He will never fail us. That difficult times are there for our benefit, for drawing us close to Him and for sanctification.

Q1. (Isaiah 40) What does Isaiah 40 teach us about the necessity of preparing ourselves for the Lord (verses 3-5)?

Isaiah is saying that each of us is a HIGHWAY for the Lord to move through and we are to make it straight and remove any obstacles to intimacy in our relationship. Every valley (Self loathing, shame) shall be lifted, every  mountain and hill (pride, self effort) shall be made low. The crooked places (unbelief, wrong beliefs) made straight, and the rough places (wounds and places of unforgiveness) a plain. This is His work, (highway under repair) but our cooperation is needed in surrendering all to Him whenever we're aware of distance between us....and since He is constant and never moves, I know that I've allowed some obstacle to crop up, and in essence I'm saying  "Detour, take next exit,  highway blocked ahead, use by-way or alternate route, until He and I sort out the issue. (Surrender!)

This is one of my favorite verses in the Bible. After a life of abuse and violence, I saw the Lord as an angry, finger pointing dictator Who was always angry and watching for me to make a mistake....this verse is one He used to renew my mind as I was getting to know Him and His true nature. Now I know that He loves and cherishes me, that He rejoices over me with singing, knows everything about me and still loves me, with his crazy, perfect, accepting love! I count on Him to carry me close to His bosom when I'm afraid or weary, and He does! He is my Shepherd! When we "fall into or jump into sin," He will leave the 99 to come and rescue one of His lambs!

He is  Sovereign and Majestic Creator, Ruler over ALL...while "Nations are as nothing "but dust on scales, or drops in a bucket." They continue to exist only as He allows them and for His purposes and glory!

Why do we get so enamored by the glitter and glory of the world?

I think it's because it's what we can easily see with our eyes, where although "He hides in plain sight" we can be unaware of His Presence while focusing on what's around us, vying for our attention. We also have an enemy who works through our eyes, flesh, and pride of life to distract us from His presence and glory.

What pieces are we missing (verses 15-17, 21-26)?

Wisdom, understanding, spiritual acuity. We live in a fallen world, burdened by our flesh and spiritual blindness....to really know and see Him and His glory has taken many years in relationship with Him, resulting in growing  in spiritual maturity which has drawn me to desire Him more than the world and what it offers. (He has been faithful to expose some of the obstacles from the question above, and helped me to surrender those to Him, and to prefer Him.)

Waiting upon Him in expectation, looking for and hoping in Him and believing His Word, and His promise is that He will supply His strength (Those highway signs all speak of my weakness/sin and need to surrender to His might and power)

We have to make a straight path for Him. level the tops of the moutains and hills and fill up the valleys. We must level out the uneven ground to make a highway for the Lord to travel when He comes. That a metaphor for us to clean up our act, no matter how much we have to do to make it so. It's not enough to simply have faith in God; we must live upright and righteous lives according to the commands of God in the Scriptures.

God will be our shepherd and tenderly care for us, carrying us close to His heart.

God's glory is so much greater than any nation's glory that the nations are like a drop in the bucket. God can hold the mightiest nation in His hand and weigh continents on His scales. God regards the nations as nothing, mere dust compared to His glory. The greatest accomplishments of man are a speck of dust compared to God's glory which is the entire creation.

Because we look with worldly eyes. We have a small mind a lot of the time. We have difficulty seeing past our immediate horizon. We look at the created instead of at the Creator.

We're often not looking at the big picture when it comes to God's glory. God made the Universe and is keeping it together with His great power and might. Consider this: God made the heavens and the earth just by speaking. He's that mighty. "Let it be and let it continue to be until I say differently!" That's not a Scriptural quote but just a nutshell description of how God went about creating everything. The heavens are preserved by God's mighty word.

We wait on Him. We ask him for strength, wisdom, anything according to His will and then we wait for Him to give it to us. We hope in The Lord. We trust in Him to supply what we need. God will strengthen the weak and weary.

Q1. (Isaiah 40) What does Isaiah 40 teach us about the necessity of preparing ourselves for the Lord (verses 3-5)? About God’s tenderness and compassion (verse 11)? About God’s glory vs. the glory of nations (verses 15-17)? Why do we get so enamored by the glitter and glory of the world? What pieces are we missing (verses 15-17, 21-26)? According to verse 31, how can we draw strength from the Lord?

The Lord's return is certain and those who are wise will be ready.  We need to straighten ourselves out and get our priorities right.  As usual I have a lot of work in all areas.

He is like a good shepherd.  He carries His sheep in His arms, close to His heart.

Every nation is or has been for a brief time.  God's kingdom is forever.

Recently when I was in London I saw the royal guard practicing their 'maneuvers?' and felt myself drawn to it.  There was a pull there to watch. There was a majesty to it.  However for those of us who know Jesus we know that it is nothing.  It is people like us.  God is majesty!

We focus on what is seen and not on what is unseen although if you look at something like the Grand Canyon or the intricate workings of a newborn baby you can see the awesomeness of our Holy God who is perfect in all His ways.

We hope in Him and though fellowship and  worship of Him we draw strength.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Isaiah tells us to repent and change all our wrong attitudes and prepare oourselves  and our hearts for receiving the Lord . He compares the heart to a Highway with ditches and unevenness which have to be filled in preparation for the charriot of the Lord to pass on. We are to forget about the worldly attractons which are temporary as the flowers and grass which wither away and concnetrate on spiritual preparations.   

About God's tenderness and compassion (verse 11)?

Yahweh will look after his people tenderly and with compassion like a loving Shepherd and will carry us in his arms and against his bosom and will gently lead us in the right direction.

About God's glory vs. the glory of nations (verses 15-17)?

Alll the nations are nothing before Him as dust on the seashore which he can gather in his hand ..

The cravings  of sinful man for the world, the **** of the eyes for things of the world and the pride of fame and fortune are all transient before the wealth of heaven and those who do the will of God will live forever.

We get infatuated by the glitter and glory of the world , the sophistication and technology of big cities and the wealth and emminence of famous peolple makes us want to become like them..it draws one to equal it and emmerge a winner.

All the nations of the world are nothing and just emptiness to God who can bring the rulers and princes to nothing ., the plants hardly take root and stem when he blows on them and they wither..He is all powerful and wise. We live with so many distractions and we have to remove the things which obstruct our view of our Soverign Lord who actually is the creator of all but from whom the world and Satan lures us away. we are missing out on the intimacy and close relationship with our Lord because of the enticement by eyes, flesh and pride of life. 

Those who wait patiently for the LORD to act will be strong  and never get tired or faint , infact they will get new energy and will rise up like they are on wings of an eagle in the sky. He is faithful and will never fail us. He knows our needs.

READY OR NOT, HE WILL COME!  NO ONE WILL ESCAPE

About God’s tenderness and compassion (verse 11)? THOUGH HE IS MIGHTY, HE IS BOTH COMPASSIONATE AND TENDER.

About God’s glory vs. the glory of nations (verses 15-17)?  REGARDLESS OF HOW POWERFUL MEN APPEAR TO BE; GOD IS MORE POWERFUL.  GOD'S POWER WILL LAST FOREVER, THE NATIONS WILL SURELY PASS AWAY.

Why do we get so enamored by the glitter and glory of the world?  UNINFORMED OR UNBELIEVERS

What pieces are we missing (verses 15-17, 21-26)?  GOD IS INCOMPARABLE; THERE IS NO ONE LIKE HIM!!

According to verse 31, how can we draw strength from the Lord?  WAIT!!

The preparation consists of first repentance in order to have a straight path to God!

He has tenderness & compassion as a shepherd with a lamb.

God's glory is far above earthly glory. He is the creator--needing nothing.

We can get enamored with the world because of the glitter and temptation. There, at times, seems that "everyone" is doing it or wanting it! It is where we have our mind set.

We need to see God for Who He is. The creator, king--no one is his equal.

We get our strength from Him by hoping in Him. Again, our mind must be set on Him!

Our preparation time is every day.   We need to clear away anything that is separating us from the Lord. Take those aspects of our lives that are not right and seek the Lord’s help; repent of our sins and change our ways.
    When a king traveled in those days, others went ahead of him and his entourage clearing away any impediments so that his travel would be uninterrupted and as easy as possible.  We’re to clear away the impediments in our own lives so that we are ready for the King, the Lord of lords when He comes.
    In Matthew Henry’s concise commentary, he says, “... may the Lord prepare our hearts by the teaching of his word and the convictions of his Spirit, that high and proud thoughts may be brought down, good desires planted, crooked and rugged tempers made straight and softened, and every hindrance removed, that we may be ready for his will on earth, and prepared for his heavenly kingdom. ”

He is a loving, caring God who watches over us as diligently and constantly as a shepherd watches over his flock of sheep, because we are His and He loves  us.  He is especially caring of the young and the weak; He meets us where we are and carries us when we can't walk.   He guides us on safe paths, comforts us, heals us, calms our fears, provides food and water and shelter, and protects us from predators.  He is our strength and our shield.   And He calls us to follow Him.
    Sheep without a shepherd will die.  It isn’t just that they’re helpless against a predator; they’re helpless in many of the mundane things of life.  They need protection from accidents, from thorns and cuts, from bugs.  A sheep on its back will kick its legs until help comes or it dies.  The shepherd has to be constantly alert.   They’re easily frightened, in need of care and constant attention.   But they know their shepherd’s voice and they follow him immediately when he calls.

There is no comparison.  The nations are specks beside the Lord.  The nations are the proverbial drop in the bucket, as nothing.

Why do we get so enamored by the glitter and glory of the world? What pieces are we missing (verses 15-17, 21-26)?
    We see with our eyes and judge by outer appearances.  We’re caught up in the latest gadgets and fads, trying to keep up with what our friends or neighbors have, trying to be them.  We’re empty and wanting, but not understanding why or what.  We buy houses and automobiles we can’t afford, and max out credit cards for luxuries meant to impress others with our ‘worth.’    Money, prestige, pride.  We mistake the fake for the real in life and unless we turn from worldly things, we are caught on a treadmill of always needing something more than what we have.
    What is missing is the Lord.  When we have the Lord, we understand that those things that we chased after are meaningless.  The worth we were seeking comes not from the world but from a loving God.   

We draw strength from the Lord through faith and trust, waiting on the Lord in hope.  As we trust in Him to provide the strength we need, He will strengthen us. Philippians 4:13 “I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me.”  Trust in God for all we need. Isaiah 26:3 “You will keep the mind that is dependent on You in perfect peace, for it is trusting in You.”
    The word "renew" means "to exchange," as taking off old clothing and putting on new. We exchange our weakness for His power (2 Cor. 12:1-10)

Q1. (Isaiah 40)

What does Isaiah 40 teach us about the necessity of preparing ourselves for the Lord (verses 3-5)?

Why do we get so enamoured by the glitter and glory of the world?

There is so much work to be done, so many difficulties and obstacles to be removed before we can meet our Lord, because we are all sinners saved by grace. I only need to look at myself – there is pride and self-righteousness to be removed. A heart to be softened, evil desires, and prejudices to be got rid of. The list goes on and on. So, there is still much work to be done, and this can only be done with the help of the Holy Spirit. Verse 11 gives us a glimpse of the tenderness and gentle goodness of our Lord toward those who obey and love Him – there is therefore hope. When it comes to God’s glory; nothing can compare to His omnipotence or omniscience. For example, the power of all the nations on the scale against His omnipotence is less than a drop in the bucket or a speck on the balance. They are “as nothing … less than nothing and worthless”. We are repeatedly warned not to love the world or the things of this world. The reason for this is that the things here on earth are not compatible with the love for our Heavenly Father. Jesus warned us that where our treasures are, that is where our hearts will be. If our treasures are in heaven, our interests will also be there (Matthew 6:21). All the world can offer us can be described as the **** of the flesh, the **** of the eyes, and the pride of life – such as sensual bodily appetites, evil desires from what we see, and an unholy ambition for self-display and self-glory. The glory of the world is temporal and passing away and cannot be compared to the eternal glory of our Lord. It is when we come to realise or try to comprehend who our Heavenly Father truly is that we get a glimpse of Him that controls all and sees all. It is then that we can fully put our trust in Him and know that He will keep His promises and strengthen us to rise above life’s difficulties. 

V3.The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare (to turn) ye the way of the LORD, make straight (be upright) in the desert a highway for our God.

Isaiah was speaking to God’s people the Jews that they prepare, turn from their wicked ways and make changes in their life, for God will redeem them.

However, Isaiah is teaching me the importance of holiness, it is important that I “CONTINUE” to walk the path the Messiah has prepared and has set me on to walk, a highway of "HOLINESS" – I received my garments of righteousness so that I may walk on that highway, it is there in the wilderness when testing’s do come, that I may proclaim my desire is to remain "FAITHFUL" -  I am preparing the way, I have put on His garments of righteousness and I am walking in them, for they are now "MY RIGHTEOUSNESS" a sign to Him that I am anxiously awaiting for my Bridegroom, the Messiah of Israel to return.

Isa 35:8 And a highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it; but it shall be for those: the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein.

About God's tenderness and compassion (verse 11 He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.)?

I not only find tenderness and compassion in this verse, I find "HOPE" - this is the hope that lives within me = Revelation 7:17 The Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of water: and God will wipe away all tears from their eyes.

Isa 40:15 Behold, the nations are as a drop of a bucket, and are counted as the small dust of the balance: behold, he takes up the isles as a very little thing.

Nations should tremble at the power and glory of the LORD, who is the true and living God: it is his wrath they should be fearful of.

As of right now I am fearful for the greatest nation in the world, America, a nation that was founded on God and His principles, a God fearing nation that had the blessings of God over it, only to witness the fall of this great Nation, for the "Land of the Free" has turned its back, and are trampling on the very mercy and grace of its foundation, the "God of Israel" - to become a nation to proclaim, they no longer are a Christian Nation, a nation that believes in the Messiah of Israel, and in its stead are demonstrating to the world, "America is a nation of many god's"

Our days are numbered, so I ask, how long will America be able to abide God's indignation that is to come?

(Jer 10:10) The LORD, Jehovah is the true God; he is the living God, and an everlasting king: at his wrath the earth will tremble, and the nations will not be able to abide his indignation.

1. It teaches us to stop our sinful ways and place Him first in our lives and, prepare for His return.

2. God's tenderness and compassion is with us. He forgives us for our sins. He loves and protects us daily.

3. God is Glory. He is Sovereign and His Sovereignty reigns over all nations.

4. We are enamored by the glitter and glory of the world because it looks good to our eyes, it is easy and convenient.

5. We draw strength from the LORD by placing all of our Hope and Faith in Him, knowing He is the Only one can Help us in Times of Needs and, He is always with us.

Q1. (Isaiah 40) What does Isaiah 40 teach us about the necessity of preparing ourselves for the Lord (verses 3-5)? About God's tenderness and compassion (verse 11)? About God's glory vs. the glory of nations (verses 15-17)? Why do we get so enamored by the glitter and glory of the world? What pieces are we missing (verses 15-17, 21-26)? According to verse 31, how can we draw strength from the Lord?

God is everything and we are like grass, not here on earth very long, leaving nothing. But HE is eternal and HIS splendor is beyond compare. We can never be enough prepared, but nonetheless we can try to be still, meditate, and send up all the praise we can muster.

Being in the world makes this all easy to forget in the moment. Its not easy to stay 'tuned' in to HIM.

We can draw hope from HIS word and from feeling his presence; to do HIS will, not ours. Its not easy, its a learning process of love and devotion to HIM

Q1. (Isaiah 40)

What does Isaiah 40 teach us about the necessity of preparing ourselves for the Lord (verses 3-5)?

It teaches us that we should repent and change our ways completely while preparing ourselves for the Lord.  The Lord’s coming is near and we have to prepare our heart by making right and straight all things that are not according to God’s will and God’s word in our lives.

Verse 11 teaches us about the tender loving care of God.  Like a good shepherd to his flock, the Lord gathers us in His arms and holds us close to His heart and gently leads us.

The Human Power is nothing compared to the Sovereign Lord, Our Creator.  The Lord is incomparable, all nations and its powers are but dust, worthless before God.

The glitter and glory of the world gives man temporary pleasure and joy.  When we are not rooted in the word of God and not in a relationship with Him, these pleasures attract us to them as we are unaware of what God has in store for us.

We miss the point that God is enthroned above all the earth and he is the maker and creator of all things.

When we wait on the Lord and look to him in hope and eager expectation we draw strength from the Lord.  Waiting with perseverance expresses our faith that God wills save his people.  As we turn our faith towards him, he strengthens us.  There is a sense in which we exchange our weakness for his strength as we wait expectantly for him to act.  And when God strengthens us we soar like eagles.

we should repent of our sins and turn to the ways of the Lord. As a preparation for the Lord's coming we should align our lives to God's holy word and live a life that is holy and pleasing to the Lord.

Our God is a loving, compassionate and merciful God. He loves us dearly and cares for his own.

The nations of the earth are nothing compared to the God of glory. God is all powerful and all sufficient and all the nations have to bow down before him. the nations are nothing compared to our mighty God.

The ways of the world are easy and comfortable to follow. All the world gives us looks bright and nice and we get attracted to its glitter and glory. The pleasures of this world seem to be so attractive giving us all type of comfort that we need. we feel that God's ways are hard and narrow to follow and we get attracted to the glitter of the world.

The missing pieces are that God is the ruler of the earth. He is above everything and he has authority over everything he has created and the creation should bow down to him and him alone!

we need to love the lord and trust him. As we spend time in his presence we draw strength from him. when we are in his presence he calms our soul with his love. we are able to surrender to him completely when we are filled with his love and we are able to put our hope in him and him alone. we are able to draw strength from him as we seek him and he renews our strength.with this renewed strength we can soar on wings like eagles!

Isaiah 40:3-5 teaches us that we need to prepare to welcome the Messiah. Repentance and change are the focus here. All of the unlevel places in our lives will be balanced out. Valleys will be raised, mountains brought down. Rugged ground in our lives will be made smooth and God's glory will be revealed in and through the lives of those who do trust their lives to Him. God has promised this to those who believe and when the mouth of the Lord speaks...it will be done!

God's tenderness and compassion are shown in verse 11 by describing God as the good shepherd. He will tend to us. He will protect us. He will gather us into His arms and hold us close to His heart. He will always gently lead us.

The glory of God vs. the glory of nations are compared. The Nations are described as like a drop in the bucket and are regarded as dust on the scales. They are described as worthless and nothing. There is no mistake in these comparisons that God is Almighty and the nations are under His sovereign rule. 

Why do we get so enamored by the glitter and glory of the world? Because it is all around for us to see. It feeds our pride. It satisfies self. To see the glory of God takes a faith based perspective and to live by the Spirit demands our minds to concentrate on things of the Spirit. These things are the exact opposite of the world. To be humble. To live for others. If we, for any reasons, stop regular prayer times and close communion with God or are out of His Word to renew our minds, then we can fall prey to everything the world is constantly putting before us. Even one day makes a difference! I recently put all the things I had to do in a day before my prayer time and by the end of the day I was discontent over a few things and feeling disconnected not to mention I was trying pretty hard to have a pity party for myself. Thankfully, God in His mercy showed me where I had strayed the very next morning and I was reminded my prayer time and devotional time are first and foremost above anything else for the day and I need His Word for encouragement and TRUTH in my life. Guess this study was just the exclamation point!

The pieces we are most missing is embracing God's character  and sovereignty. When we do embrace Him, we recognize our great need for Him. He is in control of everything. There is no one equal to Him or His wisdom and will and nothing that can satisfy like Him. We forget to draw on His goodness and strength and truth and start doing things on our own or we may chose to even walk on our own without Him. We should draw on His wisdom and strength and hope in Him alone. He will change our minds, renew our strength, shift our focus, lift us up, and direct our path.

Unless we repent and turn away from our sinful natures, we cannot develop and enjoy an intimate relationship with God. Why? Because obstacles like sin burden us and impede us from stepping forward towards God. Faith and true repentence make the path to the light of God's spirit easier--furthermore, God's compassion and love for us was revealed when He sent His Son to die and conquer death. By doing so the valleys have been filled and canyons gapped so we may approach and know God.

While nations come and go, God's glory is eternal. Usually nations are only blessed and powerful if It is God's will.

Where dever our hearts are at, we will follow. If we love the flesh and worldly desires, we will follow that. If we love and trust God, we follow after His Kingdom.

If we wait upon or place our hopes in God, and God alone, we realize that our strength cannot muster up the power to deal with life stresses and challenges. Thus we turn to God to renew us daily, because we should never "grow weak nor weary!"

Q1. (Isaiah 40) What does Isaiah 40 teach us about the necessity of preparing ourselves for the Lord (verses 3-5)? About God's tenderness and compassion (verse 11)? About God's glory vs. the glory of nations (verses 15-17)? Why do we get so enamored by the glitter and glory of the world? What pieces are we missing (verses 15-17, 21-26)? According to verse 31, how can we draw strength from the Lord?

​God wants us to repent and be prepared for the coming of the Lord which will come certainly but without notice.[ verses 3-5]

God may punish us for our sins, yet he does so tenderly and with compassion. His objective is to make us return to Him. [verse 11]

No matter the glory of nations or individuals, we should never forget that our God's glory is incomparably greater, [verses 15-17]

The love for the world, the cravings of the flesh and the eyes make us to be to be so engrossed on perusing the things of the world that we forget the things of God. These things will pass away but those that do the will of God will live forever.

We can draw strength from the Lord by waiting upon Him, trusting that He is abundantly able to deliver those who trust in Him

• 3 weeks later...

Question 7.1

Preparing a way for the Lord is illustrated by leveling a highway to Israel. The illustration is also used in Matt. 3:3 where it is used by John the Baptist telling us to make way straight for the coming of the Lord. This can be considered as a call to the people of the Baptist's day or whereas in the note question a call to us to prepare our hearts in such a way that Jesus can easily enter.

To bring about this change we need to become serious about those decrees for which Yahweh calls throughout the Old and New Testament. Justice is paramount , the removal of oppression for women , for the first nations, for blacks and for the poor. All these are to be given freedoms as God offers freedom. As we work along the road to the new world of freedom, the new heaven and the new earth we need new freedom so that all can become free, so that we are all one. There then will be no grief or doom , nor slave or free, no male or female for then we will all be one in Christ in the great and glorious day of the Lord.

We see a marked change in the tone of the reading between Chapters 39 and 40. In 39 : 6 -7 we Yahweh willing the complete destruction of the city's establishment - city, dynasty and temple. all of the things that were important to the people in 700 BC. In chapter 40 we see a complete different side of the Lord. Here we see compassion and tenderness. Yahweh says, "speak tenderly to Jerusalem and cry to her that she has served her term". (verse 2). It is almost as Jerusalem has been pregnant and has delivered or is to be delivered or as if she had been in prison and served her term - "she is received from the Lord's hand double that of which she served." (2) This seems to indicate that her treatment and her sentence is more than she deserved and that the Lord has completely forgiven Israel for her sins. She has been washed clean of her sins and there is to be a new slate, a new start, clean and free. It is this tenderness of God who offers us in grace through Jesus the cleansing of our sins through forgiveness and gives us a hope of righteousness as if we are righteous.

The glitter and glory of the world attracts people at a different level than the mystery of Yahweh. The glitter and glory are physical experiences which attracts the physical and carnal instincts of the body., The mystery of Yahweh however, is spiritual and must be experienced on a spiritual conduit which is the conduit that is established between an individual and Yahweh. It is spiritual. This conduit can only be established by Yahweh as "he is knowable through himself'" (Karl Barth, Dogmatics in Outline,1966) page 24). This knowing of God is at a different strata than other forms of knowledge. For instance Karl Barth writes "the concept of knowledge of scienta is insufficient to describe what Christian knowledge is". (Barth 25). For God presents god self as a spirit and we must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Nations come and go. We have seen in this study , Judah, Israel, Moab, Egypt, Assyria, Syria, Tyre, and Babylon all come and go. Since that time there has been many empires built upon human strength but they all fall into dust and ruin. Only the Lord , the Father of history, remains and continues. That is our promise. -- This Yahweh, this God, is eternal and everlasting and this one gives us the story of life as it is written in the story of the Bible and the tradition of the church. It is a promise of eternal relationship and a commitment with Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

In comparison to Yahweh the nations of the world are like a drop in a bucket. Just as the great nations of the past have been swept away so those of the present will also be swept to the wayside. Might of arms that keep the people of the world oppressed and the might of economic power, like Tyre, is broken as the sands of time move by. The only consistency in our lives is that of the Lord Yahweh who as Job has suggested and Isaiah himself has laid the foundation of the world. Hence we need only to wait upon God, to trust in him, listen to his voice and to love him with all our hearts and our neighbors as ourselves.

Winstony

We must prepare ourselves for the Lord because His glory shall be revealed. It is not a question of if He will come but a question of when. Therefore it behooves it to be prepared for His arrival. We must make sure that there is nothing standing between us and Him, get rid of the bad habits and behaviors that displease Him as we wait on Him.

God takes care of us like a shepherd takes care of His sheep. He will hold us to close to Him and protect us from the elements. He will also lead us along during the course of the day.

God is bigger and more magnificent than any nation. As large and important as some may think they are, God is bigger - He is more awesome than anything we have ever seen, heard or imagined.

I think that we are sometimes amazed by the beauty and resources of the world. We see some places and we are in awe at how beautiful and large they are. Sometimes we forget that God is the one who created this things we love to see and admire. He is the one responsible for making them so he must indeed be greater than they. 

We can draw strength from God when we wait on Him and look to Him with eager expectation for our hope and strength.

Isaiah 40 teaches us that we should be preparing ourselves by being close to him. We should let the bible straighten our desert highway for God. We should be talking to him so that we can level the ground and the rough places in our hearts.

God’s tenderness and compassion will be cultivated by the Lord if we let Him. He will watch after us and lead us to Himself.

God’s glory vs. the glory of the nations is that the nations are but dust and that they can’t do anything without Him.

The reason that we get so enamored by the glitter and glory of the world is because it is the here and now. We see people getting rich by suppressing others and seemingly getting away with it.

The pieces that are missing are that God is the one that makes one grow and they are not looking to him for the help that they need. But if we wait for the Lord he shall strength and we shall mount up with wings like eagles; and we shall run and not be weary; then we shall walk and not faint.

We must prepare our hearts for the Lord by repenting of our sins in order to have a relationship with Him.  In other words, we must clean up our acts so we can have a relationship with the Lord. 

Verse 11 teaches us that God will feed, care for, and love His people.  Those who put their faith and trust in Him.  Those who acknowledge Him.

Verses 15-17 teaches us that the glory of nations is nothing and is worthless to God.  God's glory outshines anything man can come up or accomplish.

We get so enamored by the world because we were born into it.  The satanic world order is all we know until God illuminates our minds and opens our eyes to His glory and reality.  Until this happens, this visible world is all we know and can relate to.  The Holy Spirit of God frees us from this situation.  Frees us from this world.  Opens our minds to heavenly things and realities.

We often fail to realize that all of us are a drop in the bucket and that everything passes away.  Our human reality is temporal whereas the spiritual reality is eternal.  All of humanity, great or small will die a biological death and all nations rise and fall.  Nothing human is permanent.  Only God is everlasting.

Verse 31 teaches us that all who trust in the Lord will find new strength.

Q1. (Isaiah 40) What does Isaiah 40 teach us about the necessity of preparing ourselves for the Lord (verses 3-5)? About God’s tenderness and compassion (verse 11)? About God’s glory vs. the glory of nations (verses 15-17)? Why do we get so enamored by the glitter and glory of the world? W.hat pieces are we missing (verses 15-17, 21-26)? According to verse 31, how can we draw strength from the Lord?

We must prepare our hearts for the Lord by repenting of our sins in order to have a relationship with Him.  In other words, we must clean up our acts so we can have a relationship with the Lord. 

Verse 11 teaches us that God will feed, care for, and love His people.  Those who put their faith and trust in Him.  Those who acknowledge Him.

Verses 15-17 teaches us that the glory of nations is nothing and is worthless to God.  God's glory outshines anything man can come up or accomplish.

We get so enamored by the world because we were born into it.  The satanic world order is all we know until God illuminates our minds and opens our eyes to His glory and reality.  Until this happens, this visible world is all we know and can relate to.  The Holy Spirit of God frees us from this situation.  Frees us from this world.  Opens our minds to heavenly things and realities.

We often fail to realize that all of us are a drop in the bucket and that everything passes away.  Our human reality is temporal whereas the spiritual reality is eternal.  All of humanity, great or small will die a biological death and all nations rise and fall.  Nothing human is permanent.  Only God is everlasting.

Verse 31 teaches us that all who trust in the Lord will find new strength.

• 1 year later...

Chapter 40 verses 3-5. We need to make ourselves ready for God. We need to change our bad habits. We need to increase our good deeds. We need to change our attitudes, and our hearts. We need to renew our commitment to our Lord and God. We need to be able to walk the path that God puts us on.

Verse 11: God will provide all the things that we need. He will always be there to take care of us. He is there to carry us when we need him most.

Verse 15-17: No nation can provide for us as God can. Material objects can disappear. There is never enough with material things or worldly things. Only God can make sure that we have all that we need.

Verses 15-17 and 21-26: God is above all things. Yes, the material objects look great but they are like dust in the wind. They are here one second and gone the next. God is the only one that is a constant in this world. He is here no matter what.

Verse 31: We need to have faith in the Lord. We need to do things at God's pace not ours. God knows what we need and when we need it, we must wait faithfully for him to provide it.

• 7 months later...

Isaiah 40 teaches us that it is necessary for us to repent and live in a state of righteousness while preparing for the return of our Lord.  Isaiah 40:11 teaches us that God cares for His own like a shepherd tenderly watches over, protects and cares for His sheep.  Verses 15-17 tells us that God’s glory is superior to the glory of nations. There is nothing that the world has to offer can ever be comparable to God's soverenignty.  We get enamored by the glitter and glory of the world when we take our eyes, focus, off of our Lord.   According to verse 31, we can draw strength from the Lord by resting in the strength of our God.