JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. The Just Servant

Q2. (Isaiah 42:1-4) What do these verses teach us about the Messiah? What will characterize him and his actions? What does it tell us about his quest for justice? About his tenderness? If this describes our Messiah, what difference should it make in our lives, values, and demeanor?

• 2 months later...

What do these verses teach us about the Messiah? What will characterize Him and His actions?

God the Father put His Spirit on Him. Thus when the Messiah did wonders He did it as a man filled with the Holy Spirit.

What does it tell us about his quest for justice?

He will deliver justice throughout the world, just as He is still delivering justice today.

About his tenderness?

Although He will bring justice, He will not raise His voice, even a crushed reed will be safe in His Almighty hands, since He is tender and came for the weak, even a candle will be safe in His hands. If you think of His Power it is amazing to thing how tender He works with each one of us.

We should live a life of worship, love, sharing, caring to one another, we must live a life focussed on eternity and on how many we can take with us to eternity. We must be gentile but firm, loving but just, caring and serving the truth.

Q2. (Isaiah 42:1-4) What do these verses teach us about the Messiah?

These verses teaches us that God will send  a Servant.....  His Chosen One who will be very gentle and tender with His people Israel and most important of all He will be JUST especially the poor , injured and weak.

He will be very merciful but those who do wrong will be justly punished.   

What will characterize him and his actions?

Gentleness and Justice

Without making too much ado about it and without violence he will carry out his mission He will neither falter nor be discouraged but remain faithful in his establishing justice on the earth

About his tenderness?  

He will not harm a bruised reed meaning thereby that the injured and weak he will tenderly bring into his realm.

If this describes our Messiah, what difference should it make in our lives, values, and demeanor?

We too should not be raising our voices about what we can do , we should not enfore strict measures to hurt people but we should gently with love, teach and propagate Righteousness and Justice

He is God's chosen one, sent to earth to draw men to God.

He will, in faithfulness, bring justice to the nations.

His quest for justice will happen--he will not falter or be discouraged.

He will not raise his voice and will be kind to the weak.

We need to walk as He walked--kind, tender, thoughtful of others. We need to seek that same justice as He did and make sure our lives are in order.

What do these verses teach us about the Messiah?  HE HAS THE SPIRIT OF GOD AND ALL THAT COMES WITH IT..  HE IS NOT A WARRIOR.  HE IS A SAVIOR.

What will characterize him and his actions?  GENTLENESS

What does it tell us about his quest for justice? HE IS ALL ABOUT JUSTICE AND RESTORATION.  HE IS ABOUT UPLIFTING THE BRUISED REED.

About his tenderness?  UNYIELDING

If this describes our Messiah, what difference should it make in our lives, values, and demeanor?  OUR GOAL IS TO BECOME LIKE JESUS

Q2. (Isaiah 42:1-4) What do these verses teach us about the Messiah? What will characterize him and his actions?

This prophecy describes Jesus in HIs first coming. He indeed was gentle and went about His ministry in a very caring way. He healed hundreds of people and was a real man of the people. Jesus came the first time to ultimately be sacrificed in our place. He could have come as a conquerer but that wasn't His mission. By humility and compassion He went about His Father's work and to the cross. Jesus did conquer. He conquered death in His resurrection, which was a mightier victory by far than if He'd routed the Romans as a worldly conquerer.

Verse 3, A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out. . . has been used to great effect by the prison ministry people here in Australia and it gives hope that Jesus can and will save even those we deem unworthy of salvation. No matter how far gone we may feel we are, Jesus is our Savior.

This passage tells us that Jesus is committed totally to bringing about justice on earth.

About his tenderness?

Again, verse 3 tells us that Jesus is compassionate and sympathetic to those in need and in trouble. When it looks hopeless, it isn't. We have Jesus.

If this describes our Messiah, what difference should it make in our lives, values, and demeanor?

Knowing that we have a compassionate tender Savior should cause us to live our lives in imitation of Him. We are exhorted to do just that by the apostle Paul in many of his writings.

Q2. (Isaiah 42:1-4) What do these verses teach us about the Messiah? What will characterize him and his actions? What does it tell us about his quest for justice? About his tenderness? If this describes our Messiah, what difference should it make in our lives, values, and demeanor?

“Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight;
I will put my Spirit on him, and he will bring justice to the nations.
He will not shout or cry out,or raise his voice in the streets.
A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out.
In faithfulness he will bring forth justice; he will not falter or be discouraged
till he establishes justice on earth.In his teaching the islands will put their hope.”

God is so wise and kind and loving and helpful in correcting us. As we feel HIS correction, we klnow it guides us in HIS path to Justice We are dirt, grass, we don't deserve this. Its not easy to understand HIS will and ways in many situations. We need to learn to wait, pray and expect great results for HIS kingdom.

He is God's servant, upheld by God, chosen by God, full of the Holy Spirit, just, gentle, faithful, completes His mission, One in whom we can put our hope.

It will be done!

His very heart is tender towards His own.

We should strive to be as He is.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q2. (Isaiah 42:1-4)

What do these verses teach us about the Messiah?

About his tenderness?

If this describes our Messiah, what difference should it make in our lives, values, and demeanour?

We are taught He is a God of gentleness, encouragement, justice, and truth. He will not tolerate any injustices and will bring justice to the earth. He will treat us with tenderness and build us up and support us in times of trouble. In other words He will always be there for us. If only we could follow His example and reflect His glory by being His shining light in the world today. Help us to demonstrate our concern and love for others.

The Lord will put His Spirit on the Messiah.  The Messiah is the servant of the Lord and pleases the God.  He will bring justice to the nations, without making boasting about it loudly in the streets or asking for attention, but he will do it with a spirit of gentleness and patience.  He acts tenderly towards the weak, the injured, and the poor.  He will observe righteousness.  Difficulties will not deter the Messiah till he establishes justice on earth.

To be pleasing in the sight of God, He will expect us to imitate the messiah.  We have to live a life pleasing to God following the example of Jesus.  If we act unjustly towards the poor, then we put ourselves on the wrong side of God and his Messiah.  When we do good and justice we should not clamor for attention but do it with gentleness. 

Messiah is God's chosen servant in whom God delights. God's spirit is on him and messiah will bring justice to the nations. He is faithful and in faithfulness he will give justice to the earth. He will not  falter or be discouraged till he establishes justice on earth and in his law all the nations will put their hope.

we should make messiah the Lord of our lives. In everything we should learn to focus on Jesus and ask him the grace to make us more and more like him. with his grace alone we will be able to change our values to the values of Jesus Christ and we will be able bring others into the knowledge of him and teach them his character and his ways.

1. These verses teach us that the Messiah is kind, tender to the weak, the injury (those who have been treated unjustly) and the poor.

2. He is characterize by his action: Easy, loving and understanding. He will not shout, cry out or raise  His voice.

3. His quest for justice is: He is a fair judge, He will bring forth justice. He will not falter or be discourged till He established justice on earth.

4. He is tender, loving and kind. We hear His quiet voice today when we are attempted to do something that is not pleasing to Him.

5. In our lives we should be:

-Loving and kind to others.

-Follow Christ example.

-To always be humble before Him and others.

On 8/1/2013 at 10:14 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Isaiah 42:1-4) What do these verses teach us about the Messiah?

Jesus is a servant, upheld by His Father who delights in Him. He brought forth (and continues to bring) justice, right, and revelation of truth to the nations.

He will not cry out or shout aloud to be heard. He supports and encourages (does not break  or quench "dimly burning wicks")

He brings forth justice in truth, for which many expect and await.

He is a mighty warrior (does not fail or become weak, crushed or discouraged) and will establish justice in the earth.

Velvet and steel; Victorious and gentle; powerful yet meek; decisive while patient; love and justice.

He intends to finally bring justice to cover the injustice which has reigned in the hands of the unrighteous and will not rest until He reigns on His earthly throne.

About his tenderness?

He is a gentle shepherd, has a heart of love, tenderness and mercy, encouraging even a "glimmer" of hope and faith in those who are "sinking".

When I experienced His love, tenderness, mercy, grace and forgiveness (unlike when I believed He was harsh, hard, sharp and piercing), I fell madly in love with Him. The difference it has made is that knowing I'm a delight to Him, I am able to extend those qualities to others....My goal is to consistently "decrease" so that He may "increase."

Q2. (Isaiah 42:1-4) What do these verses teach us about the Messiah? What will characterize him and his actions? What does it tell us about his quest for justice? About his tenderness?
    He comes as the Chosen One of God, “whom I uphold”, “in whom I delight”, and “I will put my Spirit on him.”  Divine love and awesome power!   He comes to bring justice to all the earth.    These verses are all about justice.  He WILL bring justice to the nations, but He doesn’t come to “break” or “snuff out”  the meek or frail or weak.   Instead, His actions are truly representative of the fruit of the Spirit.  While He is gentle and loving, He will not be turned aside from His goal, nor will He grow weary before He completes His mission.  

As His disciples, we are to continue what He began.  We are to walk with Him in such a way that those who see us, see Him in us.  We are to be gentle and compassionate, loving and peaceful, advocates for justice.  We are to display the fruit of the Spirit in our daily walk.

Q2. (Isaiah 42:1-4) What do these verses teach us about the Messiah? What it teaches me is - the first time God sent His Son it was not as "MESSIAH" - He  first came as a "Servant" unto his Father, therefore he did "NOT" cry out - "I am the Messiah", nor did he "LIFT UP" his voice as to cause disputes and contention, so not to bruise or break the reed, those who are unstable in their faith, instead he came as a gentle lamb, for it is in meekness, in that quiet spirit that truth will be found, avoiding the snare of the devil.

What will characterize him and his actions? His actions are those of a faithful servant unto God, a servant of righteousness and obedience.

These verses teach us that Messiah is the one in whom God delights. He will have the Spirit of God in Him and He will bring justice to the nations. He will be humble and peaceful and will be gentle and tender towards those who are hurting. He won't ever discourage, but will fan even the smallest hint of fire in the sincere seeker. He will be strong and never falter to establish justice on the earth. Those who feel alone or outcast will put their hope in Him.

His actions will be characterized by tenderness, but also by righteousness and justice. The Messiah's quest for justice is a main theme in these verses.

"He will bring justice to the nations"

"In faithfulness he will bring forth justice."

"He won't be discouraged until he establishes justice on the earth."

Here we see Jesus will be tender towards the weak, the injured, the poor, but He comes to establish justice for them also...not just to heal them. (Which He will.) This is a good warning to those who are mean or belittle and take advantage of power over those who are weaker than they are or who may be under their authority.

The difference this should make in our lives, values and demeanor towards others is twofold.

1.) We are to remember all will answer to God's justice, so keep our lives pure and in God's will in our demeanor towards those weaker then we are or who under our care.

2.) For those who are under someone else's thumb and are suffering in it, we are to remember to persevere, stay a Godly course and put our hope and trust in Jesus because though we may suffer for awhile....He is coming with justice and righteousness for His servants!

Isaiah 42:1-4 teach that the Messiah is chosen and called by God. God delight in Him and puts His Spirit on Him and He will establish His rule on the nations with justice.

He (the Messiah) is so gentle that He will not have to shout.

​By calling ourselves "Christians" which means "like Christ", we ought to be gentle and ensure justice in our dealings with others particularly where we are in authority.

The Servant will come not as a conqueror, but one who will be compassionate and caring towards the poor, weak, and oppressed. he will act tender-hearted and kind to the defenseless. hw will establish justice quietly and non-abrasively. The Servant will continuously and tirelessly seek out those that need His help.

Hopefully we will take after His role model, and focus on defending those who cannot do it themselves. To not be boastful, but humble and merciful.

• 3 weeks later...

Question 7.2

There seems to be two images of the servant given in Isaiah 41 and 42. In the former it seems from the words "but you, oh Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen" that Israel is the servant to whom Yahweh speaks. Yet there appears to be a different servant in 42: 1 - 4 "here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight". firstly the latter verses seem to be directed towards an individual -- "I will put my spirit on him" and "he will bring justice to the nations ." If Yahweh is speaking of an individual then thinking christologically it will be necessary to conclude that this servant is the Messiah, Jesus our Christ. The Messiah is characterized by justice -- a theme that runs throughout Isaiah. This Jesus in faithfulness will bring justice to the poor and we as his followers are expected to do the same. The Christian church is falling away from service to the poor and in fact in our years we have reneged on the poor and allowed government to do our work for us. In many areas the Salvation Army is the outfit that looks after those who fall by the wayside.

Justice then is what characterizes the Messiah's actions. But this justice is tempered with love and mercy. The love and mercy of the Messiah can be seen in verse 3 and 4 "a bruised reed he will not break and the smoldering wick he will not snuff out". He is so tender that he will allow every chance for those who are oppressed, the ill, the lame, the blind , the orphan and the widow so often in society these unfortunates are snuffed out and left behind, allowed to fall through the cracks. This characteristic of justice of the Messiah applies not only tot he nations but also implies justice to the earth which is administered with tenderness. If this is the Messiah's demeanor to give tender justice -- a justice for the unfortunate of the world are given great consideration, are treated with love and dignity, a justice that has a preference for the poor, a justice that cries out 'no salvation outside the poor' (Jon Sobrino). Thus we who are the semi-rich of the world but consider the hoarding the wealth that we have. Jesus spoke continuously of how we are to love our neighbor, to be concerned with the well-being of our neighbor, the 'other' of society. In matt. 25, the Lord tells the goats , those on his left "you that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me. Then they also will answer, 'Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you'?"

This God of ours loves the poor and demands that we support them in Justice, in fairness and to be their warden in justice.

winstony

These verses teach us that the Messiah will bring justice to all the nations and to all who have been wronged.  He will be tender and merciful and the Spirit of God will be upon him.  The Messiah is God's chosen one in whom He is well pleased.

The Apostle Paul taught that we should take on the mind of Christ in the Epistle to the Philippians.  So, our lives, values, and demeanor should be Christ-like.

These verses teach us that the Messiah will bring justice to all the nations and to all who have been wronged.  He will be tender and merciful and the Spirit of God will be upon him.  The Messiah is God's chosen one in whom He is well pleased.

The Apostle Paul taught that we should take on the mind of Christ in the Epistle to the Philippians.  So, our lives, values, and demeanor should be Christ-like.

I think that these verses teach that the Messiah is going to be gentle and understanding to our situation. The things that will characterize him will be his justice and the gentle way that he will enforce the law. As for his tenderness it says that he will not break the bruised reed. I am taking that is me and he will not break me when the time comes. Since this describer my Messiah I am going to try to do everything that I can to please him.

• 1 year later...

The Messiah is going to be quiet and gentle person. He will bring justice to all people. He will take care of the weak. He will take care of those that are completely faithful in him. People can put all their hopes in him. He is going to be very consistent.

He will be genuine.

We should strive to be like him. Our lives should mimic his. We should care about those that are less fortunate than us. We should trust in him completely. We should be willing to turn our lives over to him.

• 7 months later...

These verses teaches us that God is dlighted in the Messiah.  He is fully pleased with Him. The Messiah will have the indwelling Holy Spirit with Hime during His minstry on earth.  He will bring justice to the world. He will bring a ministry that is peaceful and though they tried to frme Him as one who would overthrow the King, he continued to preach the gospel and heal the sick. His actions characterize him as the Prince of Peace. He is a just God and will always be just. and tender towards all men. As He is a just and teder God, as His servants we ought to emulate Him as we journey amon our fellowmen.

• 4 years later...

Q2. (Isaiah 42:1-4) What do these verses teach us about the Messiah? That Jesus is the chosen one from God himself, Jesus will not miss the smallest of details, that he will complete the good works he has set out to do in his fathers name.

What will characterize him and his actions? The spirit of the Lord is upon, he moves and acts in the Lord's peace and he will not and he will not brush aside the burised and the hurt.

What does it tell us about his quest for justice? It is unyielded and he will not stop until justice is done.

About his tenderness? He Loves unconditionally and cares for the downtrodden, he cares not about people's standing in the community.

If this describes our Messiah, what difference should it make in our lives, values, and demeanor? Our hearts should be open to the underprivileged, helping our fellow man to first find Jesus, that may walk in his light.