JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Jesus Saw Himself in Isaiah 53

• 3 months later...

Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53?

I think the book of Mark, which describes Jesus as a servant, shows nicely how Jesus lived out this believe.

Luk4:21 is probably the most direct verse.

If you aren't convinced, what stands in your way?

I believe it is true.

If you don't believe but you partake in this study you are probably a Jew. Pray daily for wisdom and for revelation. Go to the Messianic Jews web sites and read their messages critical. Compare Math, Mark, Luke and John with the Old Testament.

The other day i read 365 Old Testament prophesies that came true in Christ, written by these Jews, there is no way all these prophesies can come true in 1 man and He is not the Messiah

Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53?

"It is written: 'And he was numbered with the transgressors'; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment" (Luke 22:37).

Q2. (Isaiah 53) Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53?

At the very begining of His ministry Jesus read the scroll of Isaiah in the Synagogue on the Sabath and said that it was fulfilled in Him  Luke 4: 18-21,Luke 24; 46; 

I am convinced that Jesus is the Son of God. 

Q2. (Isaiah 53) Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53?

I'm no good with chapter and verse, but the whole story of Jesus' arrest and trial fulfilled Isiah's prophecies. The part where He didn't say anything when His accusers lied about Him. "Like a sheep before the shearer is dumb" . . . The floggings He received at the hands of the soldiers and Herod's men, it was all foretold by Isaiah. That Jesus read out the description Isaiah wrote concerning Him and then pronounced its fulfillment as they'd heard it being read still gives me goosebumps. Imagine being there! I read the Good News Bible as my only Bible for decades and that translation says: This Scripture has come true as you have heard it being read.

This book is indeed the Old Testament Gospel.

If you aren’t convinced, what stands in your way?

I'm convinced. No doubt in my mind at all.

"It is written: 'And he was numbered with the transgressors'; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment" (Luke 22:37).  
    This reference to Isaiah 53:12 clearly indicates the path Jesus is walking voluntarily and in Luke 22:37 He acknowledges not only what was written in Isaiah 53 but declares that it must be fulfilled in Him and that what is written is coming soon.

I am convinced.

1. JESUS  saw His own mission and destiny in (Luke 4: 18)

" THE SPRIT OF THE LORD IS ON ME, BECAUSE HE HAS ANOINTED ME, TO PREACH GOOD NEWS TO THE POOR.

HE HAS SENT ME TO PROCLAIM FREEDOM FOR PRISONERS AND RECOVERY OF SIGHT TO THE BLIND,

TO RELEASE THE OPPRESSED, 19. TO PROCLAIM THE YEAR OF THE LORD FAVOR.

(LUKE 22:37)

"IT IS WRITTEN: AND HE WAS NUMBERED WITH THE TRANSGRESSORS' AND I TELL YOU THIS MUST BE FULFILLED IN ME. YES, WHAT IS WRITTEN ABOUT ME IS REACHING ITS FULFILMENT."

2. "I am convinced that JESUS is King of KIngs and Lord of Lords."

Q2. (Isaiah 53) Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53? If you aren’t convinced, what stands in your way?

Thank you for some of these questions.  They make me think out in words what I believe and why.

Jesus whole life conformed to Isaiah 53.

One incident from His early life that strikes me that Jesus saw His own mission was traveling home from Jerusalem and He was missing from His parents He said unto them "How is it that ye have sought me? knew ye not that I must go about my Fathers business?"  Clearly early   He grew in the knowledge of the Lord (Luke2:40), And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men." Luke 2:52.  Favor that was fleeting.  Anytime you become a threat to the authorities whether real or just jealousy you will be knowing persecution.

I do like the reading of Isaiah 61:1-2A.  And then He says today this has been fulfilled in your ears.  What went through there minds when they said Was this not Joseph's son?    For some with envy in their hearts the beginning of doubt and for others a genuine question.  For us I think Isaiah 61 is a beautiful section of scripture.

I am convinced He is the Messiah, my Lord and Savior.  The Holy One of Israel.

One more aside.  I was reading in the notes at the bottom of the page in Isaiah 53:9.  " God the Father delivered him into the hands of the wicked and to the powers of the world to do with him what they would".  Dosen't that just send chills up you  when you think of our fallen state and the dark kingdom which resides in the unredeemed.  Thank you Lord for redeeming us.

God Bless!

Jen

Psalm 91

Luke 4:18-21: “The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him. He began by saying to them, “Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.”

Yes I am convinced.

I'm most convinced that Jesus saw His own mission and destiny by two New Testament Scriptures.

1) Luke 4:18-21: Jesus declares at the beginning of His ministry that He is indeed the One who has come to fulfill the prophesy that was proclaimed in Isaiah 61.

2.)Luke 22:37: At the end of His ministry, right before Jesus was handed over to be crucified, He states, "It was written about me and is happening now." Jesus KNEW in the beginning and at the end what was happening and that the prophesies had been written about Himself.

I'm convinced!

I love the words of the Messiah, "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for "MANY" for the forgiveness of sin “Mark 14:24

Jesus took the Twelve aside and said to them " we are going to Jerusalem and everything that is written by the prophets about the Son of Man will be fulfilled. He will be handed over to the Gentiles. They will mock him, insult him, spit on him, flog him and kill him. On the third day he will rise again. (Luke: 18:31-33).

Q2. (Isaiah 53)

Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus Himself saw His own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53?

I’m totally convinced that Isaiah 53 describes the life and ministry of our Lord Jesus. It mentions His death, His burial, and His resurrection. To me this is best described in the Gospel of Mark. 

On 8/1/2013 at 10:27 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Mt 20:28: Just as the Son of Man came not to be waited on but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many (the price paid to set them free (amp.)

Mk 14:24: And Jesus said to them "This is My blood which ratifies the new covenant, the blood which is being poured out for (on account of) many.

Jesus set His face like flint toward the cross...He was born to die, lived a sinless life, and died a substitute for my sin and guilt to give me eternal life and abundant life here on earth. He knew His mission and fulfilled it perfectly.

I have been convinced that He is Who He says He is since the day 47 years ago when He convinced me that I am His forever....written in His blood! (Another hell bound sinner saved by Grace!)

In Mark 9: 12, Jesus knew He had to suffer and face persecution before He was glorified. I am thankful He was obedient to the Father by dying on the cross to atone for my sins. He did it out of Love.

First, thank you to Dr. Wilson for presenting a very balanced view of scripture.

Yes yes yes I am convinced Jesus is Lord, but the question asked was: is the suffering servant presented in Isaiah 53, Jesus? Or Israel....as in the other servant songs.

Because I know God is bigger than the questions, I am not afraid to consider something other than what the mainstream Christian concept is.

The passage very accurately describes the suffering Jesus endured. There are so many similarities that it gives me goose bumps. However there are a few parts that don't fit ...verse 2 and 3.. People turn their faces from the servant , do not show him respect, yet Jesus ' ministry was full of respect ie feeding 5000, Palm Sunday, as well as ridicule.

Second "difficulty" it seems the disciple attributed the servant song to Jesus AFTER he died but not during his ministry.. See Mark 9:31 to 32. They were shocked each time He explained that he would suffer and die.

Third what about the studied Jews ? I had to wonder why they would not be immediately convinced that Jesus was the fulfillment of this prophecy. They knew the passage, certainly. What scales covered their eyes to miss the parallel? I looked up a Jewish interpretation of Isaiah 53 in Google. It didn't convince me that the passage was about Israel's suffering in Babylon...but that is the Jewish perspective. That this passage along either the other servant songs is about the exile.

Having considered the alternatives with an open mind I am still convinced with goosebumps that this passage found in Isaiah 53 refers to the role and suffering of the Messiah.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As per Luke 4:18-21 and Mark 10, it is clear Jesus viewed himself the as the suffering servant Isaiah was speaking of in Isaiah 53.  Therefore, I am convinced and nothing stands in my way of believing that the suffering servant of Isaiah 53 is Jesus the Christ

Q2. (Isaiah 53) Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53? If you aren’t convinced, what stands in your way?

As per Luke 4:18-21 and Mark 10, it is clear Jesus viewed himself the as the suffering servant Isaiah was speaking of in Isaiah 53.  Therefore, I am convinced and nothing stands in my way of believing that the suffering servant of Isaiah 53 is Jesus the Christ

• 6 years later...
On 8/2/2013 at 6:27 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

I welcome any and all responses. I wish I didn’t but sometimes I do doubt the veracity of the Bible and the Atonement Theory. I do not think believing is a matter of being convinced but of choosing to believe. I do not believe there was actually an Adam and Eve, or a great flood or a fish that swallowed a man whole then after 3 day spit him out. I believe these are stories intended to teach us about God’s character and who we are in Him/Her/It. The Atonement doesn’t make sense to me. If Jesus took away our sin so we can have relationship with God, why is there still sin in the world? If sin needed to be taken away, where is it now? Why is there still suffering? How do we know that eternity with God is an actual real thing? Why would we want eternity with God? What is the alternative? Why would God require payment for sin, what does He get out of the transaction? Blood? Satisfaction? I do want to understand. Ultimately, I think we all must choose to believe, simply choose, not because it makes sense or because someone has proven it to be true, but simply because we want to have relationship with God. And where that takes us, well, only God truly knows. I believe God exists because I can feel it. I believe Jesus died for our sins because I choose to live my life in that belief. I want to see what my life is like when I walk in that belief: that Jesus died for our sins. But yes, believing for me is not a matter of being convinced at all. It is simply a choice.

• 2 years later...

Rebecca L (above) hits the nail on it's head -- it's not a matter, or just a matter, of being intellectually convinced but of willfully plowing past doubt and not letting doubt overwhelm faith.

I have chosen to believe.

The Jews at Jesus' time knew the scriptures better, or at least more intimately, than do most Christians today and yet they did not believe. They were right there ... they saw what happened to Jesus, and yet they did not believe. They had the passages from Isaiah in the front of their minds as they saw Jesus live and die, and yet they did not believe. Some interpreted these passages as futuristic, events that will happen to someone else, perhaps a king-like figure, and so slid past some of the more humbling, servant passages in Isaiah.

I've seen political figures believe things that don't jive with reality, and yet they believe. I've known Marxists who interpret everything through that ideological lens, and in doing so miss other truths around them. At times I wonder if I'm like that, if I've blinded myself to other realities because of my faith in God.  I've decided that it's a matter of "what truth ... whose rationality." I have chosen to believe in Christianity, not because it's a direct answer to the prophecies in the OT, or because it makes the best rational sense, or because it's scientifically "provable," BUT simply because I chose to stake my life on it's truth. It's a matter of will. Increasingly, only Christianity/Bible is the lens through which I peer at and judge other ways of thinking.

At times I doubt. At times, rare now, I awaken in the night wondering if God actually exists. I have deep and abiding problems with evil and suffering in the world which cause me to doubt God's goodness ... though not his power. The tension between universal salvation and being "chosen" is something I cannot resolve. Though these are not small issues, I BELIEVE.