JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Bearing Our Punishment

• 3 months later...

In addition to our sins, the Servant also bears the punishment deserved by sinners. In what sense, if any, did Jesus bear the punishment due you when he died on the cross?

As discussed in the previous question, His death substituted my eternal death. I was suppose to burn in hell eternity, but He accepted my punishment for me

Q4. (Isaiah 53) In addition to our sins, the Servant also bears the punishment deserved by sinners. In what sense, if any, did Jesus bear the punishment due you when he died on the cross?

I feel each one of us have broken the 10 commandments ....and that means these are my sins ...

The wages of sin is death ...therefore I deserve to die ...and receive eternal damnation....I deserve to go to hell after physical death and have no right to  an Eternal Life in heaven with our Lord Jesus Christ and enjoy a place where there is no sorrow , no tears, no pain, no disease...wow! what I would be missing if Jesus Christ had not died in my place and granted me salvation by His Death upon the Cross instead of me ...

I am truly blessed  

The punishment of sins is death.  Jesus bore our sins and took our punishment of death by hanging on the cross with our sins.  When I repent of my sins never to turn back to them again, then I who deserve the punishment am free from the punishment because the servant (Jesus) of God has already borne it on my behalf.

In addition to our sins, the Servant also bears the punishment deserved by sinners. In what sense, if any, did Jesus bear the punishment due you when he died on the cross?

Either we could bear our own cross or he would bear it for us; He did it for us, the price was death to assure us the gift of eternal life.

1. In what sense did JESUS bear the punishment due to you when He died on the cross?

-I deserve hell and being lost forever. JESUS who had no sins suffered died so I would have a right to eternal life with Him.

"Thank you Lord JESUS for the Love you have for us, you suffered more than we can understand for our sins and if we follow you, we have eternal life in you."

"Thank you Heavenly Father for your Son, JESUS CHRIST."

Q4. (Isaiah 53) In addition to our sins, the Servant also bears the punishment deserved by sinners. In what sense, if any, did Jesus bear the punishment due you when he died on the cross?

I’m a sinner.  Until Jesus comes again, I’ll never be rid of all sin.  The wages of sin are death–eternal separation from God and eternal suffering in hell.   
    Jesus went to the cross for me, took my sins upon Himself, and died in my place.  He clothed me in His righteousness, and was crushed and made a curse by His Father for my sake.  
    Jesus knew, certainly during His ministry and undoubtedly before, that He would die on the cross and He accepted that role.  In the garden of Gethsemane when He asked His Father three times if there wasn’t another way, the thing that sorrowed Him nearly to death was not the death on the cross (though it was a horror) but separation from His Father–that moment when the Father turned away from Him because of the sin He bore.
    “Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani!” (Mark 15:34)
    Only as we begin to comprehend the magnitude of the Father’s love, and Jesus’s love, for us, can we understand the horror Jesus experienced by separation from His Father.   He set aside His glory to come as the Son of Man, but there was never a moment before this when Father and Son were not together.   Nothing man could do to Him could hurt like this separation He experienced for me.

Jesus didn't just die from natural causes. He was flogged nearly to death first! He was bruised for my iniquities and pierced for my transgressions. The chastisement that brought me peace was upon Him. By His wounds, inflicted on Him at His crucifixion I am healed.

In addition, His death was the punishment I deserved for my life's sins. Jesus was raised to life again by God the Father and as a result of my belief in and acceptance of that sacrificial gift I too will be raised to life in the Kingdom of God. I don't deserve that but God provided it anyway.

Q4. (Isaiah 53)

In addition to our sins, the Servant also bears the punishment deserved by sinners.

In what sense, if any, did Jesus bear the punishment due you when he died on the cross?

We know that “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23), and that “the wages of sin is death … “(Romans 6:23a). Sin is in our DNA, for besides committing acts of sin, we have all inherited Adam’s sin. We know that God is a God of justice. He always acts in accordance with what is right. Remember in Isaiah 45:19, God said of Himself “I, the LORD, speak the truth; I declare what is right.” He declares what is right, and as a result of this righteousness it is necessary for God to punish us for our sins. When Jesus died to pay the penalty for our sins it showed God was truly righteous – sin was punished. 

The wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23

Without Christ bearing the punishment for our sins, we would be condemned to death. Through Christ's atoning sacrifice, we have eternal life in Him.

(Isaiah 53) In addition to our sins, the Servant also bears the punishment deserved by sinners. In what sense, if any, did Jesus bear the punishment due you when he died on the cross?

The Servant Jesus Christ came to bear my sins and the sins of the world.  My suffering  could never satisfy a just God because I am a sinner saved only through the grace of God. So Jesus took my sins (see my name?  I do) and all sinners and He who was sinless suffered an agonizing death on the cross so that I would not suffer eternal banishment from Him and everlasting life, and that I would not suffer an eternity so horrible no words can describe.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

On 8/1/2013 at 10:29 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

When Jesus was scourged, then hung on the cross His Father (and mine) poured all of His wrath upon Jesus, which is the punishment I deserved for my sin and unrighteousness. When He died, I died with Him, so that the old me is dead, and I'm a new creature in Christ, freed from the law, and the punishment of sin and death. He now lives in me and through me to the glory of the Father!

When I was a late teen (18 or so), I walked away from the church because of this issue ...( later returned with humble confession) but it was this question...How could Jesus take on the sins of the whole world past present and future. Sins that were not even committed yet? What kind of God requires a human sacrifice to be made so that people can be forgiven? These questions are real and honest. To actually reach some of the youth who like to think things through for themselves we need to search for our own hearts for real answers to these questions. We need to let them work through the questions and reach the truth vs. telling them the answers.

The telling really turns many people off to The Lord.

God usually (always) speaks in the language that the people will understand. The Old Testament taught that an offering must be made for our sins...that the sins are transferred to the offering and it becomes the substitute. It suffers instead of us. This was pretty much understood from pagan and Jewish ceremony. A lamb was not valued enough to take on such a weighty sin as the sins of the world. What would be valuable enough to offer as a sacrifice...only the son, Jesus, God himself.

How does it work past present and future? It was Real but represented something symbolic. God offered himself so that all of his children could be forgiven...so that never again would there need to be a sacrifice. The sacrifice of Jesus shows the nature of God. He is one who desires above all else that we fellowship with Him and become one either him both here on earth as well as in Paradise.

• 3 weeks later...
Question 9 -4

As Jesus suffered on the cross he bore the sins of many.  Jesus was mocked “he was despised and rejected by others  “ Isaiah 53:3 and he bore our infirmities.  (Verse 4) He was struck down by God and afflicted (v.4) , wounded for our transgression, crushed for our iniquities, Upon him was the punishments that made us whole and by his bruises we are healed. (V.5)

Jesus was nailed to the cross and was there probably hungry, naked and thirsty.  This pain and suffering, this punishment was made for the people, for you and me.  It is humbling to think that the punishment of the sins of the community , that you and I commit are borne by Christ on the cross and he suffered and is suffering for the many.  It is not all past tense it is also present.  “He bore the sins of many and made intercession for the transgressors.  (V. 12)

winstony

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

When I can't understand something big, such as Jesus' death as a substitution for my punishment for sinfulness/sinning, I generally return to the early creeds for some guidance. In this case, I looked at one of the earliest statements of faith that is often repeated, in part, during baptisms, the Apostles Creed.

Until now, I didn't notice that the Apostles Creed only slightly refers to salvation or substitution until it's end where the Holy Spirit is mentioned in the context of the forgiveness of sins. Jesus Himself, the so-called "Second Person of the trinity," is described as a judge. Jesus is not described as bearing our punishment, but rather doling out punishment!

I'm not sure what to make of this. It's upsetting that God willed Jesus be crushed and suffer greatly for OUR sins, and that only by His suffering we are "healed." 

I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, God's only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
he descended to the dead.
On the third day he rose again;
he ascended into heaven,
he is seated at the right hand of the Father,
and he will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen
.”

• 5 weeks later...