JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Letting the Oppressed Go Free

Q1. (Isaiah 61:1-3) Are words like “captive” and “prisoner” used literally or figuratively? How did Jesus intend them to be understood when he read them and spoke of their fulfillment? How are you personally doing in adopting Jesus’ agenda here? How is your congregation doing?

• 3 months later...

Q1. (Isaiah 61:1-3) Are words like "captive" and "prisoner" used literally or figuratively?
    They are used figuratively.  Captives and prisoners of sin, living in ignorance, possessed by demons, unable to free themselves and, without Jesus, lost for eternity.  For those who believe in Him, He removes their chains and sets them free.  When they are freed by Christ, they are free indeed.

How did Jesus intend them to be understood when he read them and spoke of their fulfillment?
    He intended, when He read this in the synagogue at Nazareth, that the words be understood as  fulfilled in Him and was saying to the Jews, “Here I AM, the Messiah come among you to free you from your bondage.”  At first they marveled at His words and His manner, but by the time He finished speaking, they tried to throw Him off a cliff.  
    This passage has been compared to the “Year of Jubilee” when debts were marked paid, land was returned to its original owners, and slaves were freed.   If you believe in Jesus, you have been set free from bondage; your spiritual debt to the Lord has been paid; you are living in ‘the acceptable year of the Lord.’

How are you personally doing in adopting Jesus' agenda here?
    There are times still when I am going through the day without looking for the work of the Lord, not expecting Him to show me something or someone, and as a result I am  slow to respond when He speaks to me.   

How is your congregation doing?
    We have a congregation increasingly both eager and trained to go out and bring the lost to Christ; who minister to the needs of members of the congregation, mothers with babies, schools, nursing homes, carnival workers at the county fairs; children and families outreach; prayer groups both in homes and on campus; and foreign missions.
    There is always more that could be done.  This congregation is actively seeking.

Q1. (Isaiah 61:1-3) Are words like "captive" and "prisoner" used
literally or figuratively? How did Jesus intend them to be
understood when he read them and spoke of their fulfillment? How
are you personally doing in adopting Jesus' agenda here? How is
your congregation doing?

In one sense literally as it refers to the captives of Israel and in another sense well I see it as literally also as it points to deliverance from the bondage of sin.  We  were literally captives to sin and prisoners of the dark kingdom of Satan and his hordes until Christ redeemed us and set us free.  I would have to say I believe Jesus meant us to take them literally.

I endeavor to bring comfort to the broken hearted and to comfort those who mourn.  I want to live Colossians 1:10-12.  There is a lot of work to be done in me but I am striving for that goal if that applies and I sort of think it does.  I have such a miserable sinus problem again that I find it hard to concentrate.  I find it hard to be grateful for these and I find it harder to be patient, loving, kind.  My husband sleeps early so I have this time to spend with the Lord to refresh myself in Him.

God Bless

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q1. (Isaiah 61:1-3)

Are words like "captive" and "prisoner" used literally or figuratively?

How did Jesus intend them to be understood when he read them and spoke of their fulfilment?

How are you personally doing in adopting Jesus' agenda here?

I think the words are both meant literally and figuratively, being both physical and spiritual. Jesus stated most clearly that He was the Messiah and that He came to deal with the problems we experience here on earth. It may be poverty, sorrow, bondage, suffering, and or oppression. He is the answer to all the hardships we may experience – they may be problems or troubles in the physical or spiritual sense. Personally and as a congregation we seem to be adopting Jesus’ agenda satisfactory. But I know there is much more I should and can be doing, and my excuses are weak and feeble for not doing them.

Are words like "captive" and "prisoner" used literally or figuratively? The words captive and prisoner are used both literally and figuratively here.  Literally to the Jews who were in bondage and held prisoners in Babylon.  Figuratively to the people who are held captives by sin.

How did Jesus intend them to be understood when he read them and spoke of their fulfillment? Jesus intended these to be understood literally as he declared his own Messianic mission from the words of Isaiah.  By the grace of Christ and what He was to do on the cross, if people believe, sinners may be loosed from the bonds of guilt and from the bondage of corruption.

How are you personally doing in adopting Jesus' agenda here? I am trying to do my best, but many a times I am slowed down by other worldly worries or distractions. I believe that I have been set apart by God to do His works.  I desire to do more for Christ and be more like Christ and I pray Jesus will help me day by day to spread His good news of freedom to the prisoners of sin and bondage, to tell everyone the Kingdom of God is near.

Q1. (Isaiah 61:1-3) Are words like “captive” and “prisoner” used literally or figuratively? How did Jesus intend them to be understood when he read them and spoke of their fulfillment? How are you personally doing in adopting Jesus’ agenda here? How is your congregation doing?

We are all captives of the "world and its un-Godly ways." Only our savior can set us free from sin, no condemnation, praise God.

We repent, we submit to His strong fatherly hand, and we are on our way to serve Him and be a light to others

We are freed by His blood and resurrection! We humbly offer ourselves though we are not worth it; still He loves us so much to give His Son as an atonement  

Q1. (Isaiah 61:1-3) Are words like "captive" and "prisoner" used literally or figuratively? How did Jesus intend them to be understood when he read them and spoke of their fulfillment? How are you personally doing in adopting Jesus' agenda here? How is your congregation doing?

We are prisioner/ captives of sin and in bandage....... here the words refer to  prisioner figuratively....

How wonderful it is when we come out of the Darkenss (sin) to the Light of Jesus Christ who bought us freedom by the  ransom He paid for us by shedding His blood on the Cross  

How wonderful when we come out of the Ignorance of being Unregenerate  and come to know the TRUTH....Jesus Christ..and the ONLY WAY AND ONLY LIFE.

Jesus wanted us to tell everyone about the Truth and bring them oout of the bondage of sin....by preaching the Gospel which is the redemption of sin and Salvation

Yes I am trying in my own way ..but far from where Jesus wanted us to reach .....

The church could do better if every Believer is a Paul!  

Are words like “captive” and “prisoner” used literally or figuratively? How did Jesus intend them to be understood when he read them and spoke of their fulfillment?

1.  I think they are used literally and figuratively.  The scriptures were prophesised before, now the time of God's favor will come true.  The day of His wrath to their enemies will come whennJesus returns to earth again.

How are you personally doing in adopting Jesus’ agenda here? How is your congregation doing?

2.  I am doing the best I can.  However, there are days that I am down and out and I do wonder am I truly favored by God.  I finally come to my senses and realize yes, I am favor by God if only because he allowed me to wake up this morning.  My congregation is striving every day to do things to help uplift God's Kingdom.  Even in that Satan tries to intervene but the prayers of the righteous prevail. 

Q1. (Isaiah 61:1-3) Are words like "captive" and "prisoner" used literally or figuratively?
The word "captive" is "LITERAL" for mankind is held in bondage, a "prisoner" to sin.

How did Jesus intend them to be understood when he read them and spoke of their fulfillment?
Jesus intended His words to be taken "LITERALLY"

Are words like "captive" and "prisoner" used literally or figuratively?  FIGURATIVELY.

How did Jesus intend them to be understood when he read them and spoke of their fulfillment? IN EVERY SENSE OF THE WORD; DEBTORS PRISONS, SLAVERY FOR DEBT, ETC.

How are you personally doing in adopting Jesus' agenda here? ENGAGED AT RANDOM/RESPONSE.

How is your congregation doing?  THE CHURCH AS A HEART TO SERVE; SOME OF THE PEOPLE ARE GOING THROUGH THE MOTIONS

1. Are the word "captive" and prision used literally of figuratively?

-Literally in a sense that the people who is held in bondage by satan and did not know God's plan for them, set them free from unbelief and bring them to a true understanding of God's love for them.

2. How did JESUS intend them to be understood when He read them and spoke of their fulfillment?

-Literally, The Messiah has come to fulfill God's purpose that was spoken by Isaiah. God anointed JESUS to preach good news to the poor. To heal broken hearted, set free those who have been captive by unbelief, those who did not know God. Open their eyes to the truth, set them free from the devil's trap. 

(Luke 4: 18-19) This is the year of the Lord favor when this scripture was fulfilled in Nazareth. Our eyes are now open because of what happen on the historically day.

3. How are you personally doing in adopting JESUS agenda here?

-There are days when I feel Iam 100% in His word, and there of days I need to do more for the kingdom of our Lord.

4.How are your congregation doing?

-My church is involved in an outreach for children in neighborhood near our church and helping the homeless.

On 8/2/2013 at 8:43 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Isaiah 61:1-3) Are words like “captive” and “prisoner” used literally or figuratively?

Probably both, because any kind of bondage is just as debilitating as though there are literal chains holding one. I wouldn't have believed that until I went through deliverance...and experienced the Lord releasing me from several kinds of demonic oppression  and bondage which had bound me my entire life. I literally felt and heard them leave, then the lightness and joy of freedom which followed.

I believe He intended them to be understood as both....for the unbeliever to be born again into eternal life and freed from the captivity of Satan, sin and self. For the believer to be set free from any enslavement to addictions (spending, drugs, alcohol, sexual addictions, O.C.D, false  guilt, fear, co-dependency, lies, oppression, emotional bondage,  and whatever has a hold on us and hinders us from becoming all that He intends for us to be.

How are you personally doing in adopting Jesus’ agenda here?

When I was born again, I had a vision of a prison cell with the door wide open...when I looked inside, there was a woman curled in the fetal position, at the very back of the cell facing the wall. I thought "I wonder why she doesn't walk out of the open door".....then realized it was me. I have pursued healing and deliverance whenever I recognize bondage...I was bound in worship, having grown up in a "frozen chosen" church, was bound with fear and suicidal thoughts, (2 in my family did commit suicide), fear of man (death threats from both parents and beatings when I was a child as young as 4 through teens) fear of lack (was told we're poor, we'll always be poor and we don't deserve to have anything)  I was a train wreck, but gradually, the Lord has set me free from all of those "chains"....I spent a number of years in a Christian 12 step Bible study group with safe, women who were also bound, and seeking His freedom....a bonus was the deliverance from co-dependency and learning to set boundaries so I no longer feel victimized by others.

I also pray for others (privately) to be set free and to experience the  joy of living in the freedom Jesus purchased for us on the Cross. When appropriate I share how I've been and am still being set free!

We have a wonderful ministry for setting people free called Cleansing Stream. The congregation is also very focused on evangelism and outreach. From time to time someone will share a testimony of their "recovery process" which sheds light on this "dark, hidden" shameful secret. We have a number of  Celebrate Recovery groups sponsored by the church. There is always room for improvement, but I'd say we're doing failry well.

Q1. (Isaiah 61:1-3) Are words like “captive” and “prisoner” used literally or figuratively?

In a way, both literally and figuratively. When Isaiah wrote this, he was prophesying about both Jesus' ministry and the second coming. We humans are captives and prisoners of sin and we need Jesus to free us from that. At times also, Christians could be held captive because of their faith and at the second coming they will be physically released.

Jesus' mission was a spiritual mission, to free the world from its bondage to sin. He didn't free any captives or prisoners in the physical sense, but He accomplished His mission in providing freedom for anyone who believed in Him from their captivity to sin in the world. Jesus also, by His sacrificial death and resurrection, heals the brokenhearted and releases from darkness those held in bondage to the dark powers of the spiritual realm. And let's not overlook His preaching of Good News to the poor. In His time on earth Jesus ministered mainly to the ordinary people, the poor and needy . .the sinners! Remember His words to the people who criticized Him for doing that: People who are well do not need a doctor . . . But Jesus came to the people who did need Him, right where they lived!

How are you personally doing in adopting Jesus’ agenda here?

I don't have much, but I do what I can.

Don't belong to a congregation at present.

Both could be used in either manner. We have people in this world imprisoned by oppressive and cruel leaders, and there is also people held captive by addition, spiritual darkness, and guilt. Christ can deliver anyone from these "chains."

We need to seek out and find the lost more like Jesus did.

Words like "captive" and "prisoner" are used figuratively in the sense that their meanings could be taken as "physical" captives or prisoners or as "spiritual" captives or prisoners. His over all message though is to be taken literally as how He responded to people and what we are to learn from His example.

Jesus intended His words to be understood in the context that He was the promised Messiah It was His mission on Earth to:

1. Preach good news to the poor. He brought good tidings to those who were physically or spiritually down trodden.

2.To bind up the brokenhearted. He took the role as healer and shepherd especially to those wounded in spirit.

3. To proclaim freedom for the captive. To set us free with the truth and to free us from our sins. When the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed!

4.To proclaim the year of our Lords favor. All our debts are cancelled and we are set free from condemnation and guilt.

5. To proclaim the day of vengeance of our God. To bring justice and judgement upon the Earth.

6. To comfort those who mourn. To replace their grief with joy. Again, for our grief over loved ones lost to death or sin but also to receive the joy of forgiveness of our grief over our own sins. We will experience great joy when Christ returns trusting in our salvation through Christ!

I think we all (myself included) could do better to adopt Jesus' agenda in all these things. We of course have our strengths and weaknesses individually and as the church, but I know there are willing hearts (mine included) to live this more fully, actively seeking to learn how we can be stronger in our weak areas and continue in our stronger areas so we can serve with pure hearts as Jesus did.

Hello folks!!!

Both could be used

Q2. How did Jesus intend them to be understood when he read them and spoke of their fulfillment?

In every sense of the  word.

Q3. How are you personally doing in adopting Jesus’ agenda here?

Sometimes,  even trying to do your best, you are indebted with God.

In these moments is by grace alone.

• 3 weeks later...
Question 11 - 1

Jesus used the words ‘captive’ and ‘prisoner’ in no other manner than literally.  Jesus here is stating the objectives and goals of his missionary journey and uses these verses from Isaiah 61 which the people who heard Jesus read the scriptures that day would accept as literal.  These people of Nazareth were looking, longing and waiting for a Messiah and became so upset at Jesus they literally tried to throw him off a cliff.  Jesus’ words after he rolled up the scroll also confirmed the literal aspect of his freedom statement.  He said “Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing”.  
Jesus then went forth on his mission and began to heal the lame and the blind.  He cast out demons, cured leprosy and raised the dead.  Jesus’ mission was a literal mission.  
Jesus in these verses not only refers to Isaiah 61:19 but also adds a line from 58:6 ‘ to let the oppressed go free’ which seems very literal as verse 58:7 goes on to suggest we share bread with the hungry and to bring the homeless home and to clothe the naked.  A very literal presence.
Today Jesus calls for us to literally bring good news to the poor, the good news of Christ’s coming and the good news of freedom from oppression, the release of the captives and the proclamation of the day of the Lord.
We are called to be so caring for these poor that we take in the homeless and to clothe the naked and to fight to free the oppressed and the captives.
This is a clear call to form something new in society.  It calls for a total reversal of the fortunes of the rich and the poor.  It calls for the rich to become poor and the poor to become rich.  It is calling also for a renewal of society, it is calling for the day of the Lord where all debts are to be forgiven.  Jesus is calling for a remake of society so that here is a more equal sharing of society’s wealth.  Jesus intended these to be taken literally as his hearers heard it literally and became so infuriated they tried to throw him off a cliff.
Personally I am donating to the church’s M&S and donate goods and money to the Food Bank but that is not enough.  Jesus asks for a commitment to these beyond a pittance of effort and giving.
My church does a little also.  There is a food box for the needy, M&S has grown since we began to read the ‘Minute for Mission’ and at Christmas gifts are given to the needy.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that in those days when the prophecy was written that it could have been a literal meaning. But today it is probably has a figurative meaning which means that we will be freed from the bonds of legalism and truly be free. I think that Jesus intended them to be understood as a figurative because the Jewish people were trapped in legalism. I think that I have personally adopted Jesus’ agenda because I used to be trapped in legalism and I have been set free. This is the way that I see our congregation as having been set free.

• 9 years later...

Just as Jesus spoke in parables, which had layers of meaning to those who were capable of understanding, Isaiah speaks words that have different meanings to different people in different times and places. At it's most basic, Isaiah's words are to the people of God living at his time, the Israelites who are being led through captivity. But they also refer to all people of God -- including, eventually Christians -- who are suffering.

There will be a city after death, he says, so there will be hope in life. Actual prisoners may be set free literally, as was Paul, or figuratively, as we all are spiritually. We are all captive to sin, even after salvation. We are all poor in spirit, at times. 

Flipping back and forth between Isaiah's words and those of Jesus was interesting. When Jesus Himself read Isaiah, He believed those words referred to HIs own life and ministry. He was taking on the role of the comforter and provider as the one who would deal with our despair and suffering, the wounds of our hearts. 

I'm not sure what Pastor Ralph means by Jesus' agenda. Perhaps he means by being like Christ, we too should be relieving the suffering of others?  I do this, but not always effectively. Like so much in my life, I need to do much more, to be a deeper character and more selfless compassion.

• 1 month later...