JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Gideon's and His Father's Faith

Q5. (Judges 6:25-31) What kind of leader has Gideon's father Joash been up to this point? How does Gideon's action affect his father? Shouldn't Gideon have considered the impact on his father? How should this have affected Gideon's action? (See Matthew 10:34-38) In what sense is Joash a follower of Yahweh now?

Gideon's father was a leader who takes a firm decision and stand to it. He sided to his son Gideon even if the circumstance was not favorable to him. We know that Baal worship was more popular than God at that time. As a good father for Gideon, he protected Gideon from being harmed by the community.

Gideon's action put his father on the spot on whom to take side at, himself or the community. When we obey God we will sometimes place our loved ones on the same situation. But if God is with us, who can be against us. Gideon did what God told him to do. God handled the rest. God touched the heart of Gideon's father and he supported his son's actions.

Joash, being a father of Gideon know his son. He know his son who considers himself as weak. But he saw the faith in Gideon. He saw that God is on Gideon's side. He choose to believe God.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joash has been a compromising leader worshipping both Baal and Yahweh.

Gideon has put his father on the spot where he must choose to stand with his son or with the other townsmen.

Gideon must obey God at any cost, even if it is against his own father.

Joash defies Baal proclaiming that Baal can defend himself. Joash threatens to kill anyone that harms his son and takes sides with Yahweh and his son.

• 3 months later...

Q5. (Judges 6:25-31) What kind of leader has Gideon's father Joash been up to this point? How does Gideon's action affect his father? Shouldn't Gideon have considered the impact on his father? How should this have affected Gideon's action? (See Matthew 10:34-38) In what sense is Joash a follower of Yahweh now?

It would seem that either Gideon's father served Baal because he believed or because everyone else did.

Gideon's actions would put his father at odds with the town and perhaps with his son.

Gideon was instructed by God who supersedes his father so it should have no effect on Gideon as far as obedience goes.

Joash says if Baal is really god he can defend himself so he is going with Gideons actions for Yahweh.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

• 3 months later...

1. It seems like his father was "straddling the fence". He didn't want to upset anyone and worshipped both.

2. His father was probably afraid that the people would turn against him or kill Gideon.

3. No, because he was being obedient to God and had faith that God would protect them.

4. Gideon did what he was supposed to do.

5. Joash must have believed in Yahweh, because he said that Baal should have defended himself if he was god.

• 3 weeks later...

1. Gideon's father has been a compromising leader worshiping Baal and God.

2. Gideon's action made his father take a stand and decide who he will worship Baal or God.

3. Gideon had to obey God and do what He told him to do.

4. Gideon had to put God first in his life before his father.

5. His father took his side against the baal worshipers.

God Bless

• 5 months later...

Q5. (Judges 6:25-31) What kind of leader has Gideon's father Joash been up to this point?

He has not been a leader to his son, but rather a follower of the townspeople and the Baal and Asherah worship...even having the idol altar on his land.

How does Gideon's action affect his father?

Gideon's obedience to God places his father between a Rock and a hard place....he's forced to make a choice finally instead of the dual worship of God and the idols he's been doing. He makes the decision to defend his son and to defy Baal, saying if he had any power he would have defended himself from Gideon's destruction.

Shouldn't Gideon have considered the impact on his father?

No. Gideon placed obedience to God above the fear of man/father, as we are called to do. God is always first.

How should this have affected Gideon's action? (See Matthew 10:34-38)

Gideon honored God above his father's potential wrath...he took the first step of being a "courageous warrior" for God.

In what sense is Joash a follower of Yahweh now?

When Joash took a stand in favor of Yahweh, in the face of an angry mob, he declared publicly that Baal was "dead" to him and Yahweh was his God.

• 3 months later...

Up to this point he was a compromising leader, by allowing pagan altars on his property. It made him make a choice of who he served. No he must be obedient to God and God will take care of the results. Because he openly proclaimed the other gods were false.

• 3 months later...

Not a good one. It put's his father up against the town.No. We may have to forsake father or mother to do what God tells us to do. He will protect us. Joash now stands up for Yahweh.

• 1 month later...

Q5. (Judges 6:25-31) What kind of leader has Gideon's father Joash been up to this point?

I get the feeling that Joash is a politician of sorts. He is holding to old traditions and yet, he is swayed by the culture around him. Family values mean alot to him, however, he is lost in the titalwave of cultural pressure that is overwhelming Iseral.

although it is probally not a calculated move on Gideon's part, the result, as it were, was the same. Joash was confronted with his neglect of the law(...thou shall not have any god's before Me...)The knife that cut Joash to the quick, came from his own house(Gideon.)

I'm sure he did! Yet, obiedence was on gideon's heart.

Matthew 10:34-38 (Amplified Bible)

34 Do not think that I have come to bring peace upon the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.

35 For I have come to part asunder a man from his father, and a daughter from her mother, and a [a]newly married wife from her mother-in-law--

36 And a man's foes will be they of his own household.(A)

37 He who loves [and takes more pleasure in] father or mother more than [in] Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves [and takes more pleasure in] son or daughter more than [in] Me is not worthy of Me;

38 And he who does not take up his cross and follow Me [[c]cleave steadfastly to Me, conforming wholly to My example in living and, if need be, in dying also] is not worthy of Me.

"When Gideon realized that it was the angel of the LORD , he exclaimed, 'Ah, Sovereign LORD ! I have seen the angel of the LORD face to face!'

But the LORD said to him, 'Peace! Do not be afraid. You are not going to die.'

So Gideon built an altar to the LORD there and called it The LORD is Peace. To this day it stands in Ophrah of the Abiezrites.' " (6:22-24)

Gideon rememberd these words. God told him he was not going to die. Gideon had seen the Lord face to face. This impacted gideons life and his spirit. So, how should've this affected giedon's actions? I say if gideon bulit an alter unto the Lord and if gideon valued the Lord Himself comming and commanding him to set Iseral free, then how Joash would take it that gideon tore down the alter to baal would not have made a difference at all.

• 1 month later...

Q5. (Judges 6:25-31)

What kind of leader has Gideon's father Joash been up to this point?

Weak. Sitting on the fence by worshipping both pagan gods and Yahweh; depending upon circumstances.

It forces Joash to make a decision, either Baal or Yahweh. Because of strong family loyalties he chooses Yahweh.

No! Having met the Lord he was determined to obey Him. Gideon

• 1 year later...

Joash had clearly compromised his walk with the Lord. He was trying to serve both God and baal. Gideon's actions forced him to make a choice, whether to remain faithful to Baal, or to force him to go back to Yahweh. Gideon's actions had stirred up the people, and it caused Joash to side with his son and God. Sometimes it takes a crisis to get our attention, and make us evaluate our lives. This confrontation forced Joash to take a stand and defend his son, even against the majority. I believe his eyes were opened once more, and God moved in his heart convicting him that he had to choose whom to serve.

• 2 months later...

The kind of leader that Gideon’s father Joash has been up to this point is to yield to whatever comes along. He was pleasing the town’s people and he had his Jewish religion that he was following. But Gideon’s action affected his father because he had to stick up for his son and not turn him over the towns’ people.

I don’t think that Gideon should have considered the impact on his father because God had told him to do the things that he did. The impact on is father would have just been an excuse not to obey God.

The sense that Joash is a flower of Yahweh was in his statement that if Baal was a god then he would have been able to protect himself.

• 2 weeks later...

5a)He was loyal to his own family, but fluctuated in commitment to worship Yahweh or Baal, he had compromised his faith by allowing Baal altar to be put on land.

B)Gideon’s actions prompt Joash make a stand for son & Yahweh, he chose true God at this point.

C)Gideon was putting obedience to God first,even though his actions would have put Joash in difficult position before thinking of effect on father. We need to follow what God asks of us.

D)By putting altar up at night, he may have hoped he & therefore Joash would not be identified.

E)Joash is examining his heart & now chose to fully commit to God’s ways&support son’s actions.

• 11 months later...

Gideon's father had compromised his absolute faith in God because he allowed, if not encouraged, dual worship along with the heathen gods Baal and Astarte, even to the extent of erecting altars to these two fraudulent deities. God was not best pleased ! Gideon's actions caused Joash to weigh up whether he had in fact given in too readily over the years to the foreign gods that the Lord had expressly forbidden. I think he 'came to his senses' quite a bit when his son took action over the altar and the pole. I expect that Gideon was worried about his father's reaction when he would see what had been done, but Gideon put obedience to God first and trusted Him for what may have happened in the aftermath. Joash seems to have changed with his son's action and almost severed his allegiance to Ball saying that Baal must deal with this outrage himself. I do not think that Joash's return to the Lord was complete at that time until he searched his heart and found the way.

• 1 year later...

Up to this point, Gideon's father has compromised his faith as he has tolerated the worship of Baal on his land.  Gideon's action forced his father to take a stand for Yahweh.  Gideon did the right thing by obeying the Lord's command instead of catering to his father's permissiveness.  We must obey God rather than men.

Up to this point, Gideon's father has compromised his faith as he has tolerated the worship of Baal on his land.  Gideon's action forced his father to take a stand for Yahweh.  Gideon did the right thing by obeying the Lord's command instead of catering to his father's permissiveness.  We must obey God rather than men.

• 2 years later...

Gideon's father had been a leader that "goes along to get along".  He compromised his beliefs and that he knows to be true for a god that has proven to be unfaithful, unworthy, undeserving, and dead.  Joash could have been embarrassed by Gideon's actions.  Joash was the head of his household but he buckled under the pressure of not having a visible and tangible king to follow so he conformed to the Midianites ways and practices.  Gideon's act may have helped Joash to gather the strength and courage he needed to stand for Yahweh.  God told Gideon that He was with him so Gideon couldn't think too long or hard about his act of obedience to God and how it would affect his father.  Maybe Gideon's act of obedience to God was a part of the bigger plan to save his father and the rest of his family.  Joash experienced the miracles and movement of Yahweh so he knew Yahweh's faithfulness and love to His people.  When our backs are against the wall, there are times when the only alternative is to fight and trust God.  His son's life was being threatened but he knew how faithful God is.  This caused Joash to look the enemy in the face and say "Let Baal contend for himself".   

• 2 years later...

Q. What kind of leader has Gideon's father Joash been up to this point?

A. A leader who had been torn between allegiance to baal and the true God, leading people to worship both the Amarites gods and God, the Maker of heaven and earth and all that is in it.

Q. How does Gideon's action affect his father?

A. Gideon's action made him to take a decision as to where his loyalty will be. He chose to serve the Living God that his son has made up his mind to follow.

Q. Shouldn't Gideon have considered the impact on his father? How should this have affected Gideon's action? (See Matthew 10:34-38) In what sense is Joash a follower of Yahweh now?

A. I think Gideon fully knew the impact that his action would have on his father. He nevertheless was determined to obey God rather than his father.

This action of Gideon paid up positively in favour of the Living God as even his father turned in favour of the living God

• 2 months later...
On 1/17/2003 at 9:13 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Joash's inaction made him a part of the problem because in the face of idolatry silence is sin. I feel Gideon took the right action in adhering to his Heavenly Father-s voice over his own earthly father. We need more Gideon's today.        ( e.g)who will take the rainbow flag that the L.B.G.T. movement has defiled by using it as symbol for their decadence when God made it a symbol of covenant....where are the Gideon's who will stand up against this?

• 1 year later...
On 1/17/2003 at 11:13 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

One with divided loyalties.

It makes him choose between Gideon and Yahweh God, the community and Baal.

No. He needs to obey God first and let God take care of the consequences.

He chose Gideon and God and there is no turning back.

• 1 year later...

Joash hadn't the courage of his convictions, if he had them to begin with, to stand for Yahweh against Baal. His son's actions forced him to make a binary choice -- either worship God or an imposter.

--

The take-away for me is this: When do I tear down the poles of those who worship false gods in my own family, neighbourhood, country, etc.? What are the poles I should be tearing down?

• 9 months later...

In our existing experience, are we bold enough to not take a middle-of-the-road position? Joash stood with Gideon on destroying Baal's altar and not being afraid of what the masses will say. Look at what is happening in our country, our country is being torn apart; our generally held democratic practices and tenets are being torn apart due to group sanctification! Do we have the gut to stand up against eroding those tenets? Nope, but we masquerade as Bible believers but have no empathy for families running for their lives! O how low have we drowned into the bottom of emotion. We've given in weak ideologies and not stood for those tenets we hold close to our chest and have weathered the storms of our founding fathers. We've allowed selfish and personal or group aggrandizement or affiliation to overshadow our Christian moral compass like simple facts.

What if Joash had not stood for the truth, what would have happened to the entire community? Chaos! Joash called the spade the spade. He knew Gideon must have had a spiritual encounter to attempt such feat to destroy Baal's altar and to replace it with the God's altar; and even even offering a sacrifice! Joash was not apologetic to whet the appetite of the larger community on Baal worship. Bring it home now: When can we man up enough courage to stand for the truth, like Joash standing with Gideon for instituting true worship of God? Group pressure, family alignment/affiliation continue to motivate many of us to back the wrong. Joash backed Gideon indeed!

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of leader has Gideon's father Joash been up to this point?

Joash has definately up to this point, not chosen to take a stand of serving God only.  He was doing what pleased the masses.  So his leadership left much to be desired.

It gave him a wake-up call.  It made him think and make an important decision.  He came to the realization that Baal was no god. They had followed a false teaching in 'serving' Baal.  It was futile.  

That was now in God's Hands and the outcome proved that Joash did realize that baal-worship was futile.

As Gideon was now doing what God told him to, I guess he would have continued with his clean-up operations anyway.

In what sense is Joash a follower of Yahweh now?

He too has realized the falseness of serving something that has no life. It is meaningless and serves no purpose.  He too now stands and is a follower of Yahweh.