JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Inspiration and Power of the Spirit

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What inspires Gideon to blow the battle horn and summon an army against the Midianites. What does Gideon have in common with other judges and leaders of his era? (Hint: see Deuteronomy 34:9; Judges 3:10; 11:9; 13:25; 14:6, 19; 15:14; 1 Samuel 11:6.)

There was only one inspiration that inspired Gideon to blow the battle horn and that was the Spirit of the Lord coming upon him. As we know today the Holy Spirit is just as powerful in our lives as it was then and we all need to allow ourselves to be strengthened by the Spirit in all we do for Christ.

The common demoninator between Gideon and other judges and leaders of his era is the fact that God was ultimately in control in each of their lives and in some cases they were not fully aware of it. He was in control of every one of them, albeit in different ways. If we study the Bible closely we do see God 's works throughout. The same too, if we look back in our own lives we too will also see how God has worked in and through us in every situation we have experienced.

The Holy Spirit is an important part of all Christians lives today and providing we allow it will help us to discern right from wrong and will guide us to live our life as Christ would want us to.

The Spirit of the Lord inspires Gideon to blow the battle horn because the time had come for the Israelites to be set free from the Midianites. He was obeying God's instructions and guidance.

Gideon have a lot in common with other judges and leaders of his era that obeyed God and acted under God's direction. All of them were inspired by the Spirit of the Lord and follow His lead.

God's Spirit is Gideon's inspiration. Gideon, like the other judges and leaders,

is awakened to his ability to make a difference, rather than continue as is. He becomes aware that the Spirit will enable him to become "a mighty man of valor". God's Spirit becomes our strength and our courage. With God all things are possible.

:rolleyes:God told Gideon to sound the horn to call all the men of the tribe of Abiezrite to follow him. They must have been the only ones close enough to hear the horn as he sent messengers to the other tribes to join them. Gideon was like the other judges who let the Spirit of the Lord take control of their lives and guide them in the way God wanted them to go. When the judges did that and the people obeyed they prospered but when they turned their backs on God they did not. We are also given the Holy Spirit to guide is in what God wants us to do. If we walk according to His guidance we will prosper.

+ God's Spirit entered Gideon, he blew the Shofar horn for the Abezrites to follow him into battle.

+ The Spirit of the Lord was with each of these leaders mentioned. These men all had powers given to them by God.

In Samuel it is Saul, that mighty man of God who destroyed the enemy of Israel. Saul then became King.

+ God's Spirit entered Gideon, he blew the Shofar horn for the Abezrites to follow him into battle.

+ The Spirit of the Lord was with each of these leaders mentioned. These men all had powers given to them by God.

In Samuel it is Saul, that mighty man of God who destroyed the enemy of Israel. Saul then became King.

It is the spirit of the Lord which inspires Gideon to blow his horn to summon his people to fight the Midianites. He was acting under God's direction and wisdom. In this respect he had in common with other leaders of his era The Lord's spirit with him in whatever he did.So too should we in our daily lives act according to the inspiration of the Holy spirit.

"But the Spirit of the Lord came upon Gideon; then he blew the trumpet..." Judges 6:34

"Now Joshua the son of Nun was full of the spirit of wisdom." Deut. 34:9

"The Spirit of the Lord came upon [Othniel]." Judges 3:10

"So Jephthah said to the elders of Gilead, 'If you take me back home to fight...and the Lord delivers them to me, shall I be your head?'" Judges 11:9

"And the Spirit of the Lord began to move upon [samson]." Judges 13:25

"And the Spirit of the Lord came mightily upon [samson]." Judges 14:6

"Then the Spirit of God came upon Saul." 1 Samuel 11:6

"As a beast goes down into the valley

And the Spirit of the Lord causes him to rest,

So You lead Your people,

To make Yourself a glorious name." Isaiah 63:14

(NKJ 1996 Tyndale House Publishers, written by GOD) :)

LORD, I THANK YOU FOR GIVING ME THE HOLY SPIRIT TO LEAD AND GUIDE ME. FATHER, PLEASE DO NOT LET ME IGNORE YOUR CALLING. LET ME BE A BEACON OF LIGHT FOR YOU, A TRUSTED SERVANT. IN JESUS' HOLY NAME, AMEN

The spirit of the Lord came upon Gideon to take action and he blew the trumpet. The Holy spirit gives us the stregth to do that which we cannot do ourselves.

The Spirit of God so dwells with Gideon that he is clothed in God's Spirit.

In the Old Testament it is stated in the scriptures that the leaders and judges were full of the spirit of God just as Gideon .

I pray that God gives me the courage and strength that Gideon had and when I feel I can't, the Spirit of God will dwell with me. I will be moved to action.

I am receiving so much from this study by reading the inspirational words of others.

i am not sure where this reply belongs but just look what has happened so far because of Gideon's obedience.....Joash his father is out of idol worship as is the whole city. In verse 34 we see that the Abizerites were the first ones to back Gideon up. These were the same men who were after him for the alter being torn down...Isn't that just like Jesus? Changing one man so he can change another so he can change another and another and then they changing so.....

What inspires Gideon to blow the battle horn and summon an army against the Midianites. What does Gideon have in common with other judges and leaders of his era? (Hint: see Deuteronomy 34:9; Judges 3:10; 11:9; 13:25; 14:6, 19; 15:14; 1 Samuel 11:6.) See Exposition.

I agree with Donald a few posts back. In verse 34, literally Gideon was clothed with the Spirit of Jehovah the Existing One and the Spirit and the Lord put upon him.

Per my nature, I had to delve a little deeper in this than meets the eye with this question:

Deu34:9 "male' ruwach chokmah" - "filled with the spirit of wisdom"

Jud3:10 "ruwach Yehovah hayah" - "The Spirit of the LORD came upon"

Jud6:34 "ruwach Yehovah labash" - "the Spirit of the LORD came upon"

Jud13:25 "ruwach Yehovah Pa'am" - "the Spirit of the LORD began to stir"

Judges14-15 "ruwach Yehovah" - "the Spirit of the LORD"

1Sam11:6 "ruwach 'elohiym" - "the Spirit of God came upon"

The common theme is the Spirit of the LORD, but in each instance there is a different way that the Holy Spirit deals with the individual He chooses to come upon. For example, with Joshua chokmah means wisdom in war/administration which made perfect sense for what God and Moses had passed on for him to do. For Gideon labash means to be clothed with or to put on either physical clothing or character attribute. Very interesting study.

5. What inspires Gideon to blow the battle horn and summon an army against the Midianites.

God tells Gideon that if he goes down to the Midianite camp with his servant he will be encouraged if he listens to what is said there (Judges 7:9-11). We perhaps take it forgranted as we read through this account that in Gideon

What inspires Gideon to blow the battle horn and summon an army against the Midianites. What does Gideon have in common with other judges and leaders of his era? (Hint: see Deuteronomy 34:9; Judges 3:10; 11:9; 13:25; 14:6, 19; 15:14; 1 Samuel 11:6.)

The Spirit of the Lord fell upon him. He was filled with the Holy Spirit.

As in all the above scriptures, all were anoited with the Spirit, all were leaders after the Spirit was with them.

What inspires Gideon to blow the battle horn and summon an army against the Midianites. What does Gideon have in common with other judges and leaders of his era?

It says that the Spirit of the Lord came upon Gideon and inspired him to do this act. It was a further act of obiedence as God had told Gideon that he would strike the Midianites. Now God is fulfilling that promise. Gideon has also been encouraged by the decision of his father stand up for Yahweh--Now is a good time to see who else is on the Lord's side.

Gideon is anointed by the filling of the Holy Spirit, as were God's other judges, prophets, and leaders. He was also acting to further God's mandate that the Israelites drive all the Canaanites out of the land of Israel. Throughout this whole period Israel struggles to accomplish this task.

P.S. I wonder where Gideon got the Shofar? Was it an everyday object of his families, something the local priest had? It's interesting to try and imagine this story as a movie--now that I know the characters so much better. I've been imagining the conversations between Gideon and his father--and now this dramitic scene where the former hideout blows the horn to summon his countryman to battle. Real Hollywood material, I'm telling you! B)

• 3 weeks later...

The Spirit of the Lord came upon Gideon to blow the trumpet. What Gideon had in common with other judges and leaders, was that the Spirit of the Lord, came upon them and became their power and strength. God overcame them to show His Glory and Majesty and that without Him, they could do nothing.