JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q6. The Rolling Barley Loaf Dream

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the commentary says in the Exposition:

"People of that day didn't bake bread in loaf pans, but as round lumps of dough that might bake into perfect wheels. The Midianite guard has seen just one of these loaves in his dream, careening down hill into the camp. In his dream, the small loaf strikes and collapses a tent many times its size."

I think that the rolling barley loaf was a picture of what was about to happen to the Midianites, that they would be defeated by the Israelites, they were about to be run over by the army of Gideon.

I think that God choosed to show this dream to Gideon to strength Gideon's faith and trust in the Lord and also to prove Gideon that if he trusted the Lord he could do anything that God would require from him.

+ 7:13-14 Gideon heard the dream's explanation because he was receiving reassurance from God for the coming battle. The dream was explained as the bread being "the sword of Gideon" which would destroy (Liv.B. massacre) the enemy camp. With the enemy now showing fear Gideon has the courage to go forward.

+ The Lord shows Gideon this as encouragement and as a sign that God is the one who will conquer Israel's enemies.

God showed the enemy that they would lose this battle with the dream about the bread........and as typical to human beings, the man told his friend. No doubt by the time the battle actually came,the rumor had spread throughout the camp. In verse 21 it says they cried out and fled. This is what fear will do to us if we let it. God help me to not sew words of discouragement to my bretheren. Today we should be praying that God will give a dream and rumor like this to Iraq and also to all those who support evil in this country.

:rolleyes: The Lord is showing Gideon through the words of an enemy soldier that he will be victorious beause God is fighting with him. John Bevere says in his book "Under Cover" that faith and obedience are the one and Gideon showed his faith in his obedience.

As I read this I was drawn to the fact that Gideon was fearful. The Lord told him "if you are afraid to go down, go down to the camp with Purah your servant" (v. 10) and Gideon did just that, he took his servant and went. Then once they were there God did exactly what He promised, "you shall hear what they say; and afterward your hands shall be strengthened to go down against the camp." (vs. 11) God showed them, through the the account of the loaf of barley bread, that victory was assured.

This made me think of the many times in my life that God allowed friends to come alongside of me during trying times. When I was afraid. Then with them there, for support, God showed through His Word and other ways that victory would come and it all depended on Him. Praise His Name for the victory He gives!

The rolling barley loaf means Gideon's sword which reveals the sure victory of Gideon against the Medianites.

The Lord shows Gideon this dream to remove any fear in his heart, to boost his faith and confidence - that victory is surely is at hand.

:rolleyes: Good evening and Peace to all.

The rolling barley loaf in the Midianites dream refers to Gideon's army proceeding to Midian and finally having victory over the Midianites.

God's reason for allowing Gideon to overhear the conversation was as a final reassurance to him and also to encourage him to have the confidence and faith in Him to carry out His will and to know that he would have victory over the Midianites even with 300 men.

Rolling Barley Loaf: This shows that the small loaf strikes and callapses a tent many times it size. God would give the larger army(midianites) to the smaller(Gideon).

God shows Gideon this to calm his fears and give him encouragement.

This is a lesson for us today. The impossible, not so clear task, the fears, and the lack of encouragement can be conquered through God.

WE CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST THAT STRENGHTEN US. GOD GRANT US THE POWER TO MOVE INSPITE OF ALL THAT STAND BEFORE US.

IN JESUS NAME

AMEN

blondesmiley.gifBarley was not as well-liked or as expensive as wheat in those days. So, the idea of a tiny loaf of bread made from barley striking a tent 100 times its size and collapsing it was significant to the Midianites and Amalekites. They realized the barley represented the small number of Israeli soldiers who would come against them and strike them down. Even if God had not sent away the 31,700 soldiers, the army of Israel would still have been incredibly outnumbered (ref. Judges 7:12)

And, don't you know that God gave this dream and its interpretation to the Midianites so that their confidence would be shaken? Don't you just love how He uses even our enemies? PRAISE GOD!

Q6. What does the rolling barley loaf mean in the Midianite's dream? Why does the Lord show Gideon this dream? (7:13-14) See Exposition

:lol: Wow!what a dream.Could you just see a round lump of bread that looked like a wheel tumbling down a hill,hit one of the enemies tents and collapses it.When Gideon the man telling the dream to his friend,then heard the responce from the other person saying"This can be nothing other than the sword of Gideon son of Joash,the Israelite.God has given the Midianites and the whole camp into his hands.WhenGideon heard the dream and interpretation,he Worshiped God.Gideon fell to his face or prostrate to the ground.This dream sent from God incouraged Gideon.

So many times in my life God has done things for me,I pray I never forget to thank Him.Thank you Heavenly Father for standing beside me,and being all around me,being able to do nothing without you.Thank you for leading me and guiding me through situations I have no control over.Thank you for encouraging me to where I can believe in myself to do your will in my life.In Jesus Name Amen

#6. God senses Gideon's fear and lets Gideon hear his enemy tell another about a small round loaf of barley bread tumbling down into their camp. He dreams that it strikes the tent with such force that the tent overturned and collapsed. When the friend responded that it could be only the sword of Gideon, the Israelite and God has given the Midianites and the whole camp into his hands. This gave Gideon the courage he needed and he worshiped God. This encouraged and strengthened Gideon to hear this from his enemies own mouth.

I pray that God will do this to Iraq. That he will put fear into them so that they will easily be defeated.

To the man having the barley loaf dream it meant that the midianites would be attacked by Gideon and his army, and that they would be defeated by the Israelites.

God allowed Gideon to sneak into the enemy camp to hear the interpretation of the barley loaf dream because God wanted to encourage him. Gideon was probably overwhelm and maybe even scared of the fact that it would be his 300 men against thousands of the enemy.

Gideon could then go into battle with the confidence that in God's eyes the midianites were already a defeated foe.

#3 Q6. What does the rolling barley loaf mean in the Midianite's dream?

At a guess I