JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Shelter of the Most High

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One who expects the protection of God is required to:

1) dwell in the secret place of the Most High. Make El Elyon your home.

2) declare the Lord to be your own Refuge, Fortress, and God

3) trust in Him

4) seek Yahweh as your place of safety and El Elyon as your dwelling place

This psalm uses many metaphors for God's protection: dwelling place, shadow, deliverer, Refuge, Fortress, a covering like the wings of a bird, Shield and Buckler, salvation

After reading the post from EdG that follows, I've come back to add comment. It motivated me to seriously think this through, and maybe someone else needs it too.

My heart broke to read of the horrible thing that happened to his family, but I praise God for the protection and safe return of his son. I am humbled to be reminded of how little we American Christians know of severe suffering and persecution compared to other believers in the world, but I can assure you that our lives do not go untouched by pain, grief, loss, and injustice caused by sin in the heart of humanity and the earth's response to it (Rom.8:20-22).

Really understanding a word from the LORD like Psalm 91:10 is probably near impossible for us. We must remember to consider any specific verse or passage in light of the entire Scriptures. I don't believe that any maturing student of the Word would want to imply that God's promises of protection mean that bad things will never happen to His people. Many, many times God literally protects us from harm in the most literal sense. Yet He has also said, and demonstrated through Christ, that the innocent will suffer. To me, I must approach the promise that "no evil shall befall you" with the understanding that this most applies in the greatest spiritual sense.

Since I am held secure in the hand of God, where nothing can pluck me away from Him (John 10:28), then anything that touches me or my life must come through His fingers by His permission for some good reason in His will. This is an extremely hard truth for us to comprehend because our understanding of suffering is so different from the LORD's. He says that His ways and thoughts are higher than ours (Isa.55:8-9); what looks so bad to our perception can actually be seen for something so great from His perspective. He says that suffering in this earthly life has a spiritual purpose (1 Cor.4:17-18). He says that what others mean for evil, He will purpose for good (Gen.50:20). He says that He can create something good out of anything for His people (Rom.8:28) and gain glory for Himself(ex. John 9:3;11:4).

The overall concept for me is that evil can never triumph over His will, His goodness, or His love. Just look at the life of Job, who lost everything including his family, wealth, friends, and health. God gave Satan permission to bring great evil against this man. Job struggled, but finally came to realize that he had no right to question the work of Sovereign God and that - no matter what happened to him - the LORD was unquestionably right to some end for His glory and would ensure Job's eternal security.

No evil can fall on me that could ever knock me out of God's hand. Evil will come against me, but it cannot make me fall to destruction as long as I keep believing God and trusting Him. He will do His part according to His promises and His perfect will. My part is to abide in Him, make Him my refuge, and trust Him completely. I am eternally secure when my dwelling place is in the Most High. "The LORD will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To Him be the glory forever and ever. Amen." 2Tim. 4:18

I got a little lengthy, but I am also writing to encourage myself, as my daughter is currently facing a serious evil assault on her physical health and it's been very hard to deal with emotionally. We know that the LORD loves her and she's in His good keeping. He may not deliver her from being touched by evil influence, but He will deliver her from falling into destruction because of it.

"Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler"(kjv) Psalm 91 the author likens the children of God as birds and the devil as the fowler. The tree is the word of God, "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." God's desire, His heart for us, His secret place is that we are obedient to Him.

I believe that this psalm is about avoiding the danger that temptation has in store for us, because if we place ourselves in the will of God then we are truly girded by the word of God. 13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; 15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. (Eph 6 kjv)

I have watched many a basketball game and seen a team come back from the locker-room at half time with a 20 pt. lead only to lose the game. When they retook the court they played as if there was nothing left to do but finish the game and victory was theirs. Slowly the other team fought back and then panic set in and all was lost. To take refuge in the Word of God we must be active in the will of God or we will find ourselves playing in the losers bracket.

Darrell

<<One who expects the protection of God is required to:

1) dwell in the secret place of the Most High. Make El Elyon your home.

2) declare the Lord to be your own Refuge, Fortress, and God

3) trust in Him

4) seek Yahweh as your place of safety and El Elyon as your dwelling place>>

I certainly agree, and I have recently experienced God's protection when our son got kidnapped and 3 days later safely released. But among the Christians here in Haiti, this brings us back to the reality that sometimes the "no evil shall befall you" (Ps 91:10) does not apply for some reason. Does that make God less faithful? Or (to respond to Q1 of this study) does this mean that the person involved did not dwell in the secret place of the Most High, or did not trust Him?

Christians in Haiti, the family of the missionary couple that got killed in Irak, christian families in New Orleans who lost loved ones during the hurricane, the Jews during the Holocaust, and the list goes on... they all know that although we have all these promises from God, they simply do not always apply. Chadrac, Mesach and Abednego realized that when they refused to bow down for Nebucasnesar - they bluntly told the king that God could save them from the burning oven, but that even in case God would chose NOT to do so, they would still obey Him and thus not bow down for the king.

Hebrews 11:36-39 also mentions clearly that sometimes the saints do NOT come out unharmed.

So, yes, we must seriously consider what the Lord asks from us as our sovereign King, our loving Provider and our safe Fortress. And we must, yes MUST, give Him the glory when He choses to indeed deliver and protect us. But also, please realize that many of the people on this forum actually live in life-threatening situations, and some of them have seen "bad things happening to good people" - and then still have to keep living in the same life-threatening circumstances. I would encourage especially THOSE people to share the wonders of God as Fortress and Protector on this forum.

I hope I am clear in my intentions. As English is not my first language, I have made mistakes before with wrong nuances in my overall tone. This was not meant as critique against the first posts, but rather an addition from a diffirent part of the world - not necessarily different in geographical position, but different in safety issues in daily life. As Dr Wilson already hinted in his intro " Unlike Europe and Asia, America has little history of refuges and fortresses".

in love,

EdG from Haiti

Q1. (Psalm 91) What is the protected one required to do in times of danger (verses 1-2, 9). What metaphors are used of God's protection in this psalm?[

The protected one should do the following in times of danger:

Dwell in the shelter of the Most High,

Rest in the shadow of the Almighty,

Trust in Him, and

Make the Most High your dwelling (abide in Him).

The metaphors of God's protection are: Most High, Almighty, a large bird protecting her young and My Refuge.

I was studying all of the scriptures Pastor Ralph quoted in this first section, and I wrote down the following verbs that tell what we can depend on from God when we trust in Him in times of trouble. I found these promises to be very comforting. He will: give rest, hide me, keep me, shade me, shelter me, save me, cover me, shield me, rescue me, protect me, answer me, deliver me, honor me and satisfy me. Praise His holy name. I must trust Him to do all of these things.

Q1. (Psalm 91) What is the protected one required to do in times of danger (verses 1-2, 9).

First, who shall ever call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

We must place ourselves within his care. We must acknowledge who he is and his greatness. We must ask to be sheltered in his hiding place, be placed in his refuge, his fortress, protected from all harm, trouble, and disease so that we will not fear the terror of night because God is there. That no evil shall befall us because I have made God my Refuge and my dwelling place. Faith shall sustain me from all evil.

What metaphors are used of God's protection in this psalm?

The metaphors that are used in Psalms 91 that describe God's protection are:

1. secret place
  2. hiding place
  3. shelter
  4. shadow
  5. shade
  6. constant habitation
  7. refuge
  8. strong refuge
  9. fortress
  10. A Bird protecting it's children by " The shadow of his wings"
  11. protector
  12. shield
  13. buckler
  14. dwelling place

When danger calls the protected ones run to the Lord; prayer, the word, singing psalms and hymns, meditation. There we find:

1. Our Hiding Place, 2. Keeper, 3.Shade, 4.Refuge, 5. Shelter, 6.Fortress, 7.Cover w/ Feathers, 8. Wings, 9. Shield, 10. Buckler, 11. Dwelling Place, 12. Salvation (JESUS).

Old hymn: "Jesus is a Rock in a weary land, a weary land,

Jesus is a Rock in a weary land, a shelter in a time of storm."

He, who dwells in the shelter of the Most High, abides in the protection of El Elyon- Our Most High God. El-Shaddai - Almighty God wants us close enough to Him in such an abiding, protective relationship, that we rest in His shaddow, trust in Him and have the confidence that He is our Keeper.

God's tender loving care towards us is conveyed through the metaphor of "bird's wings", while His faithfulness is described as a military armor of protection "shiled and buckler".

God's promise of protection, rescue and relief is based on our love towards Him and knowing His name. Only then will we have the assurance that when we call upon Him, He will answer us, deliver us and satisfy us.

Psalm 91 encourages us to live in the presence of the Most High where there is shelter, safety, delilverence and victory.

"Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom, or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts, boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in this I delight, declares the Lord." (Jer.9:23-24)

If you know the Lord, you can in times of danger make the Lord your habitation and refuge. I believe we can call upon Yahweh in Jesus/Yashua's name and will be saved. I have been in situations where I have read Psalms out loud, sang praises to the Lord and prayed. I always pray "I plead the blood of Jesus Christ the Son of the almighty God around me and Lord I ask for Your hedge of protection around me." I have asked the Lord to have his Angels around me to protect me also. Or all of it at the same time and I did not stop until I felt at peace and knew that the Lord heard and I have His attention. If the woman could worry the judge until he heard, then I have the freedom to ask until my Heavenly Father hears and answers. If it is Abba Fathers will for me not to be safe here, then I have the assurance that I will be safe in His care in Heaven one day!

I love the metaphor that draws the picture of the bird providing protecion to its children. I have seen an ostrich sitting on its nest with an eagle overhead and the little chicks ducking under the big wings for protection. "He will cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge." Ps 91:4a

In times of danger the one protected must "dwell in the secret place of theMost High," totally trust Him, make Him his dwelling place. The words that come to me over this are "forsaking all others, keep thee only unto him" from the marriage ceremony. As a husband protects a wife and children, so our Lord protects us, so long as we do not violate that special relationship we have with Him.

God's protection is described as "under the shadow of the Almighty", "my refuge and fortress", "deliverance (from the snare and pestilence=disease)," "cover you with His feathers', "refuge under His wings", "Truth as a shield and buckler",,"refuge", "dwelling place"'

Maybe the ultimate protection promise is that of a "better resurrection" in Hebrews 11:35. Even though bad things happen to good people in this world, we have the cetain hope of the safety and wonder of Heaven for eternity.

Thanks EdG for your perspective and insights that most of us will likely never get personally close to. Knowing how correct you are, that it does indeed rain on the just and the unjust, I can only believe that the promises of verse 10 are meant to be viewed from the perspective of eternity. We must understand that the things that seem so harmful and disastrous are not true harm or disasters, no matter how they seem to us as we experience them. Good Friday did not seem at all good until Easter Sunday.

What is the protected one required to do in times of danger (verses 1-2, 9)?

Dwell, rest, say (declare Him as Lord), make Him my refuge

Shelter, shadow caster, fortress, feathered bird sheltering her chicks under her wing, shield and rampart

What is the protected one required to do in times of danger?

Put simply we must put our trust completely in Yahweh and be completely obedient to Him. He will afford all the protection we need. He is our Rock.

What metaphors are used of God's protection in the psalm?

The metaphors are: shelter, shadow, fortress, a wing (also feathers), shield, rampart, dwelling and refuge. I hope I have got them all!

Q1. (Psalm 91) What is the protected one required to do in times of danger (verses 1-2, 9).

Psa 91:9 For thou, O Jehovah, art my refuge! Thou hast made the Most High thy dwelling place. We are to dwell (sit down, remain, rest) in the Most High for He is our refuge.

How can I do this? Through the Son of God, "Jesus." God's Spirit dwells in those who have found refuge in the Most High.

Heb 6:17 Wherein God, being minded to show more abundantly unto the heirs of the promise the immutability of his counsel, interposed with an oath;

Heb 6:18 that by two immutable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we may have a strong encouragement, who have fled for refuge to lay hold of the hope set before us:

Heb 6:19 which we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and stedfast and entering into that which is within the veil; (refers to the Most Holy Place, the place where God dwells.)

Heb 6:20 whither as a forerunner Jesus entered for us, having become a high priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.

Q1. (Psalm 91) What is the protected one required to do in times of danger (verses 1-2, 9). What metaphors are used of God's protection in this psalm?

I am to dwell in the shelter of the Most High, rest in the Almighty shadow, say that the Lord is my refuge and fortress. I am to make my dwelling in the Most High. I can only do this through faith and trust in my Lord my God to do what He says He will do and be.

Shelter, shadow, refuge, fortress, shield rampart and dwelling.

Many times I pray Psalm 91,.Some time ago I was led to pray Psalm 91,everyday.It is a very strong prayer.I call out to God,and then start praying.Psalm 91: covers all the protection I need.I usually start out in prayer with,Oh God hide me.I pray for God to hide me because I know when I am hid,the enemy can't find me.You are in a secret place.God is our Rock,our Shade,and our Hiding Place.God will secure you.Nothing can touch you while you are in His Hiding. Also,where God has hid you,He will put a guard,right where you are.Nothing can get past Him. I am saying this because of an experience I had.God protected me in His Hiding Place.

In times of danger to be the protected one is to be the one dwelling/living close to the Almighty. and trusting that He will protect us. It also mentions resting in His shadow. Oh, to be dwelling ever closer to Him each day!

The metaphors used in this Psalm are shelter, shadow, refuge, fortress, covered with His feathers, his wings, shield, rampart, dwelling. Everyone could identify with at lease one of the metphors used to describe our Protector. They are also a great way to keep this in your memory. I can picture myself resting in His shadow--knowing I can really rest because he is actively protecting me; being covered with His feathers, comfy, protected & warm. Then to know the angels are commanded by the Lord to protect us. What wonderful pictures of our wonderful Lord!!!

Run to the Lord and trust in Him. Declare that He is your means of protection.

He is Almighty, Most High, the Lord, My God, Rampart, Protector, Buckler, Dwelling Place, Fortress, Hiding Place, Refuge, and my Shield and much more referenced to in this Psa. 91.

Since I'm the one that's seeking protection I must trust Him, and stay there. I must not make my presence a visit, but abide, dwell and make His secret place for me, my home. I am responsible to recognize my obligation to stay put. I often watch as squirrels will dart across a busy street trying to get to the other side. I know that its not safe because they could be run over, but it seems like they're oblivious to this fact. I must know that its dangerous outside of His dwelling place. Everything that I need is in Him, so I'll stay put.

Shadow, refuge, fortress, cover'd with feathers, under His wings, shield, buckler, refuge, dwelling place. Good stuff. And to think it's all about my protection, the means by which a gracious God would go to preserve me.

Q1. (Psalm 91) What is the protected one required to do in times of danger (verses 1-2, 9). What metaphors are used of God's protection in this psalm?

What is the common function when someone is in danger? They run for cover, for protection for safegaurding themselves and their properties. Its natural that we turn to a superior force to escape the danger at present. The Lord gives a clear cut path for escaping in such times. Come to me He says. Jesus said in Math 11:28. Come to me... I will give you rest. In other words, the promises of God existed from time immemorial. We have to turn to God our Refuge, our Fortress, our Defender. We have to implicitly trust our Protector, our Refuge. He provides the required safety, sanctity and comfort. Our part is to accept in implicit faith. Not worry about why this trouble at this time. We as humans are not capable of understanding trouble as it comes. Our only wish is that it goes away. But God wills something else. Its not necessary that we know why!! Its enough if we simply put our trust in Him and let God do His part.

The metaphors that are used for God's protection of us are:

Shield, Strong Shield, Dwelling place, Buckler, Refuge, Keeper, Shelter, Hiding Place, Shade, Fortress, etc

The Psalmist has used the maximum adjectives to describe the safety of being under the shadow of the Almighty. In other words, we need not fear or get apprehensive about anything because HE CARETH FOR US. 1 Pet 5:7

(Psalm 91) What is the protected one required to do in times of danger (verses 1-2, 9).

Psa 91:1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

Psa 91:2 I will say of the LORD, [He is] my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.

Psa 91:9 Because thou hast made the LORD, [which is] my refuge, [even] the most High, thy habitation;

To stay close and abide in the shadow of the Almighty to be near to the Lord at all times for he is our shield our help in times of trouble. If we do this he will be there for us always for he is our home our habitation. There is no greater protection than under the wing of the Most High God.

Strong Shield, Hiding Place, Refuge, Keeper , Shade, Fortress our Buckler our Dwelling place, we are to stay under his wings as a chick to the hen for he is there and will protect us no matter what we face. Thank you Jesus. :D

What is the protected one require to do in times of danger?

Acknowledge God as his fortress and refuge from danger

Make God his dwelling place

What metaphors are used of God's protection in this Psalm?

Rock-God is seen as a place of security and refuge

Hiding place-God is seen as a place of protection from dangers believers may experience

Shadow-Implies shade,protection and defense. God is the source of protection for His people.

The protected ones must go to the Most High for safety. We must acknowledge "You are my place of safety and protection. You are my God and I trust you."

This is one of my favorite Psalms and I have seen mighty and powerful protection from God as a result of praying it. I'm reminded that there are many facets of this Psalm. We can't just assume that no evil will come our way because we ask in prayer. I've seen plenty of evil in my life to know that is not truth....but...I have seen protection in situations that have looked hopeless also so what is the answer? Sometimes our prayers may not seem to be heard in one way...but they are answered in another. I see this Psalm as a declaration of God's faithfulness.

When we pray this, we can't really fathom, or in the flesh, see how many traps He has kept us safe from, or diseases. When we have trouble, we always know where we can run and hide and feel safe and secure in His perfect care. His truth is always our shield and protection, because the truth is His Word and we can always go to that and draw strength and courage from it. With God for us, who can be against? We don't need to fear any danger by night or arrow by day, or diseases that come in the dark or sickness that comes at noon. The key Word here to me is "fear". If we trust Him we know His good and perfect will is always done for eternal purposes. Sometimes that's not a great experience, but I've learned He is the lover of my soul. The Psalm goes on with many promises that may seem impossible, and many times I have seen them fulfilled, but most importantly, if I have seen (and I have) " bad things happen to me" or "disaster in my home." I have turned my eyes towards other promises. "They will call to me and I will answer them." " I will be with them in time of trouble." " I will rescue them and honor them." He has always been faithful in one way or another and ultimately I have always seen Him working in my life even through the worst of times. One of the most devastating things in my life was burying our second daughter as an infant. I didn't see a fulfillment of the "nothing bad would happen to me" part of the Psalm, but I saw so much more. I saw His comfort and I saw Him answer my cries in thousands of ways. He never left me and showed such gentleness and kindness. He taught me not to fear death or disease and taught me to believe in eternal life and a hope in Him. He rescued me from so many of my misconceptions in life, like what is important and what is not and who has control over anything and who doesn't. He taught me to trust Him and to give all my love to Him. He grew me in that love and taught me to reach out to others in the same circumstances. When I would have just asked to keep my child, He saw eternity and He chose to give abundantly more. I truly believe that was His good and perfect will for me and believe it or not, it was not only the worst of times, but it was the best of times. Growing in His love and grace.

In times of danger the indangered one is required to run and go to the shelter. To place themselves

in under the protection be it wings and feathers or a clef in the rock. Go to the city that is fortified.

But go where the protector and protection is.

The metaphores used for God in this Psalm are a mother bird with feathered wings, clef of a rock.