JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Elements of Sacrifice

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:blink: Confession of sin, bringing a perfect animal, laying hands on the head of the animal as a means of transferring the sin, slaying the animal, collecting the blood and putting it on the horns of the altar and at the base of the altar, removal of the fat portions for burning, and the meat being eaten by priest or by offerer and his family depending on the type of sacrifice. The blood on the altar was changed for the blood of Jesus. The confession of sins is vitally impotant in order to receive forgivness. The transfer of our sin to Jesus' own body is performed in order to free us from the effects of the sin. The only thing really missing is the animal sacrificed which is no longer needed as Jesus filled that need once and for all time. We must confess our sins to show we realize them and that we are aware of the holiness of God and are willing to turn from our sins.

1. Confession

2. Animal with no defect

3. Laying on of hands

4. Slaying the animal

5. Blood

6. Removing the fat

Confession, or asking forgiveness is the only one needed today to forgive your sins (assuming that you are saved), for Our Heavenly Father sacrificed His only Begotten Son for us :lol:

:)

The basic elements involved in a sacrifice for sin were; confession, bringing an animal with no defects, laying his hand on its head, slay the animal(cut throat), priest collects the blood, fat portion removed , which was given to the priest and burned on the altar.

:)

Confession is still necessary for forgiveness of sin today and I feel it is good for the soul! All the others are not necessary today because Jesus(the perfect one) atone for our sins.

It is a joy to know that God loves us enough to give His Son as a ransom for us. We are sinners saved by grace. THANK YOU GOD FOR YOUR LOVE!!!

:D

WE NEED TO PRAISE HIM DAILY BECAUSE HE IS WORTHY!

The way I see it there are, at the most basic level, two elements involved in a sacrifice for sin: confession and atonement. In our lesson, Pastor identifies seven elements, but I believe that the final six are all a part of atonement.

As far as what elements are necessary today, obviously confession and atonement are still required. Insofaras our lesson:

Confession

Bringing an animal with no defect - Jesus is our perfect sacrifice

Lay his hands on its head - we 'lay our hands on' Jesus when we allow him to bear our sin for us

Slay the animal - Jesus was killed for our sin

The remainder of the elements do not apply today, with the possible exception of the final element, '(t)he meat is eaten by the priests', which may be seen in believers (priests, 1Peter 2:9) participating in Holy Communion (John 6:51).

The reason the other parts are no longer necessary is because we no longer need an intermediary between ourselves and God who needs to be purified and supported. Jesus accomplished all of that for us.

Dave

It appears to me that the elements of the sin offering were to #1 to confess, #2 a lamb without blemish, and #3 a priest to sprinkle the blood, pour out the blood and to burn the fat. Today I must confess my sins to Christ who as the lamb is the sacrafice and also as the priest, has made atonement for my sins.

In addition to the points made by the other posters, I think it is important to remember that the sinner was the one to cut the throat of the lamb or kid. This means that we, individually, must take responsiblity for the death of the Lamb. And that makes it a lot more personal for me!

Irene

What are the basic elements of sacrifice for sin? First, the sinner must confess his sin, bring a perfect lamb (or doves if too poor for a lamb), lay his hand on the head of the animal and slit it's throat. The priest took some of the blood and put it on the horns of the altar, then poured out the remainder of the blood around the base of the altar.

what parts are still needed today and what are no longer necessary?

We must confess our sins to God. He sent His son, who was perfect, as the sacrifice for our sins once and for all, so no animal dies for our sin today. Thus, we do not lay our hands on the head of our "sacrificial lamb" and slay it. Jesus gave Himself for us--once and for all time. We need to accept His sacrifice for our sin and realize it is His blood that cleanses us from sin--in place of the blood poured out on the altar--which is no longer needed.

So--we no longer bring a lamb, slay it and use its blood to cleanse our sins. We still confess our sins, accept the perfect Lord Jesus' sacrifice for our sin and redemption and give thanks to Him!

1- Bringing a "perfect", unblimished, animal 2- The laying on of hands (transferring the sin to the animal) 3- The cutting of the animal's throat ( The spilling of blood ) 4- The placing of the spilled blood, by the Priest, onto the horn's of the Alter, & the base. 5- Burning of the fat...& eating of the meat by the Priest or the offender. Another thing that had to take place, & this is my own thoughts, is that the sinner, had to believe, that by doing this, in obediance, his sin was forgiven!! :) Today, we have no need of a sacrifice, it was provided for us, by God Himself! We do though, need to confess, repent, & "lay" our sins at the feet of Jesus. And we must BELIEVE, that we are forgiven.... Jesus is our atonement! AT-ONE-MENT! PRAISE HIS NAME! :lol: LOVE, JAUNITA

What are the basic elements involved in a sacrifice for sin?

Per the exposition:

1. Confession of the sin (5:5)

2. Bringing an animal that has no defect that might decrease its market value (4:32). It must be healthy and whole or it is not fit to offer to God. An animal like this could be rather costly, though a poor person might bring a pair of pigeons or doves instead.

3. Lay his hands on its head (4:33a). There seems to be a sense in which the offerer's sin is imparted to the animal through the laying on of hands (see Leviticus 16:21).

4. Slay the animal by cutting its throat (4:33b).

5. Blood is collected by a priest, put on the horns of the altar, and poured out at the base of the altar (4:34)

6. Remove the fat portions, which are given to the priest and burned on the altar (4:35). (In the case of burnt offerings, the entire animal would be burned on the altar.)

7. The meat is eaten by the priests in case of a sin offering (6:24-29). (In case of a peace or fellowship offering, most of the meat would be eaten by the offerer and his family as a kind of sacred meal.)

Which of these are still necessary for forgiveness of sins today?

Confession of the sin.

Which are no longer necessary? Why?

All of the other steps. Jesus was the sacrifice that God provided to pay for my sins.

What are the basic elements involved in a sacrifice for sin? Which of these are still necessary for forgiveness of sins today? Which are no longer necessary? Why?

1. Confession of sin

2. An animal with no defect

3. Laying of hands on its head

4. Cutting the throat of the animal

5. Blood collected by priests, put on the horns of the alter,poured out at the base of the alter

6. Removal of fat portions and burned by the priests

7. Meat eaten by the priests

1. Confession of sin is still necessary for us to be forgiven. I believe by the meaning of atonment ( : the reconciliation of God and man through the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ..) That all that needs to be done is confession. None of the other things need to be done because Jesus Christ was offered as our lasting sacrifice and he is our atonment.

Yes my answer is the same as Julie's - and now we have to accept Jesus as our Lord & Saviour, believe he died for our sins on the cross and confess with our lips the sin in our hearts, and we are forgiven. Jesus takes not only the place of the sacrificil lamb but our place too - what we deserved he took, by his stripes we are healed.The perfect sacrifice for an imperfect world. We have to start again with a clean sheet and keep on coming back to the foot of the cross when we fail, knowing that forgiveness is there waiting for us.

Q4. What are the basic elements involved in a sacrifice for sin? (Leviticus 4:32-35; 5:5-6) Which of these are still necessary for forgiveness of sins today? Which are no longer necessary? Why? Exposition

All of the passages in Leviticus 1-7 discuss attonement for individual sin and the different types of sacrifice offerings that were in place for the tabernacle. There is no mention of the attonement for sin for the nation of Israel in these passages. This was only taken care of at Passover (Ex 12:1-27, Lev 23:4-8) and the qualifications for the sacrifice are different that what is spelled out in these verses and in the exposition. For example, for the sin offering you could sacrifice a female animal, but for the Passover sacrifice it had to be a male of the first year without blemish. There are so many different sacrifices spelled out in the Old Testament that it is hard to keep track of them all. There had to be some commonality to all of them.

So the basic elements involved in a sin sacrifice are: 1. Confession - The person who committed the sin must fess up and accept the consequences for his actions. 2. Penalty - payment for sin requires a life to be taken and the life of a creature is in the blood (Lv 17:11). 3. Sacrifice - The sacrifice offered must be the first, the best, and of yourself. If the penalty is stiff you will remember it before you do it the next time, also if it isn't personally tied to you it doesn't mean that much to you. 4. Transferance - payment for sin requires transfering your sin through the symbolic act of laying on of hands to the sinless animal who gets the death you deserved.

All of the elements of the sacrifice are still in place today, they just take a much different form. 1. We still must confess our sins (Rom 10:9-13). 2. The penalty for sin is still death (Rom 6:23). 3. The sacrifice was Jesus Christ, and we all must daily present our bodies as a living sacrifice to Him and our relationship with Him makes it personal (Heb 10:10, Rom 12:1). 4. We transfered our sin to Jesus Christ and he got the death at the cross that we deserved, we need to lay our hands on Him and accept His payment for that sin by faith (Jn 6:53, Heb 10:14-23, 1 Jn 1:7).

Of all the reauirements that were used before as sacrifice to atone for the sins of the people, the only aspect that is still needed for us to do nowadays is to confess our sins. The rest which includes the sacrifice of an animal without defects, the pouring of the blood on the altar and so on, are not necessary anymore. Jesus Christs has taken over that role for us. :)

We have no more need to bring an animal without defect to the temple because nothing could be more perfect than Christ himself. In fact, Christ is so perfect that His sacrifice is still more than enough to atone for the sins of the world even after all these years. :lol:

Q4. What are the basic elements involved in a sacrifice for sin? (Leviticus 4:32-35; 5:5-6) Which of these are still necessary for forgiveness of sins today? Which are no longer necessary? Why?

Time and again God called the people of Israel to offer a lamb or a goat as a sacrifice for their sins. When I look at the history of the Israelites through the eyes of the Old Testament writings I am reminded so much of my own walk with God since first I met Him some 40 years ago. The cycle has been very similar. Deep in sin and brought low; repentance followed by restoration. The basics involved bringing a sacrifice for the High Priest to slaughter and pour out the blood upon the altar for God. Today we can thank and praise our heavenly father God that the ultimate sacrifice has been paid for in full through the giving of His son

+ If a sin was unintentional he/she was to bring a female animal to kill. This was for them to be cleansed from the corruption of sin. The priest would use the rendered animal fat for atonement. If the sin was intentional the person must confess to God the sin that was commited.

+ The only one of the above necessary today is to confess our sins to God and ask for his forgiveness. Christ has become the sacrificial lamb without blemish for us who accept Him as our Savior.

How awed I am that when asked to die for me, Christ didn't hesitate. :wub:

Q4. What are the basic elements involved in a sacrifice for sin? (Leviticus 4:32-35; 5:5-6) Which of these are still necessary for forgiveness of sins today? Which are no longer necessary? Why?

Basic elements for purification sacrifice (sin offering):

• Confess your sin and Bring a perfect animal
  • Lay your hands on the animals head and Slit it's throat
  • Priest collects blood and displays it on the alter
  • Remove the fat of the animal so that the priest may burn it on the alter
  • Give remaining meat to the priest for a meal

:D How do we gain purification from sin today? :D

Confess your sin and accept Jesus as the most perfect lamb who died for us all.

It is no longer neccesary to sacrifice animals. Although God accepted the sacrifice of animals in the past, it was not enough. And He wanted to save us all!

I also appriciate what Dave said in his posting:

...the final element, '(t)he meat is eaten by the priests', which may be seen in believers (priests, 1Peter 2:9) participating in Holy Communion (John 6:51).

The reason the other parts are no longer necessary is because we no longer need an intermediary between ourselves and God who needs to be purified and supported. Jesus accomplished all of that for us.

And thank you Irene for the following comment:

the sinner was the one to cut the throat of the lamb or kid. This means that we, individually, must take responsiblity for the death of the Lamb. And that makes it a lot more personal for me!

If we confess our sins and ask for forgiveness or atonement, God will answer. God gave himself as a sacrifice for our sins for all time all he ask is we follow his commandments, he knows we are only human and the only sacrifice he ask of us is our tithe. We don't have to kill an animal as sacrifice.

Jesus gave his all so we could be forgiven if we only ask him in prayer.

Hello Everyone :)

The basic elements involved in a sacrifice for sin originally was the choosing of an animal that was pure and perfect for the sacrifice. The sinner must then present the animal to the priest, lay hands upon the sacrifice, then actually slay the animal, allowing the priest to catch some of the blood. The priest then anointed the horns of the altar with some the blood, and poured the rest at the altar

Why jump over Question 3?

Q.3a - Why is anger a appropiate response to sin?

Even when men's tendency is to identify God with men's weakness, that is an "anthropho morpous" figure, God is Holy and Holiness can't be before evil, God hates sin but loves sinners.

Q. 3b.- What is the difference between capricious and uncontrolled anger and anger thet brings about justice?

In the Greek Pantheon, gods taked revenge against men, because their Mitology identifies their gods with men's temper, but isn't men, He's the Creator, He's above men's weaknesses, He is interested in men's life, even more in his eternal life.

Thats why His Love works together with His Justice guiding men to repentence not to hardship of heart, as Paul says in I Corinthians 7:10.

Q5a.- Leviticus 4:32-35; 5:5,6 .- Yhe animal, depending on the kind of sacrifice, the confession of the sinner and the shedding of the blood.

5b.- Confession (repentance included) and faith to believe that Jesus's blood cleanses us from all sin.

5c.- The animal slaugtering , because Jesus took it's place Hebrews 9:11,12

May the Lord bless you'll

Hector Villarreal W.

Mexico

The basic elements required for the sacrifice of sin were confession, an unblemished female lamb, touching the animal's head, slaying the animal, the lamb's blood, and the removal of fat which was burned on the altar. Today we must confess our sins and repent. Our Lord and Savior has sacrificed himself as the Lamb of God that we might have forgiveness of our sins, and on the third day He resurrected from the grave that we may have eternal life. Have a blessed weekend. Love and prayers, Luray McClung

1. Confession or acknowledgement of sin is a necessary part of the sacrifice.

The sacrifice of Christ for our sins was done before any human could comprehend that Jesus was THE final sacrifice. We weren't born, and the disciples were certainly clueless of God's plan, as is seen by their despondency from Friday at 3 pm until early Sunday morning. So, humans didn't participate in the sacrificial death except that we were responsible for it. What I mean is, the sacrifice was made BEFORE we confessed or acknowledged our sin. But AFTER the sacrifice was made for us, we received the benefit of the sacrifice upon our confession of our own sin. A different timing is involved for us and for the OT believers. They confessed first and then sacrificed. For us, Jesus sacrificed, once for all, and then we confessed and were granted forgiveness.

2. A sacrificial animal is costly to the sinner. Nothing free here.

The more we "get to know" Jesus, the more valuable we see Him to be.

3. There is a close identification between the sinner and the sacrifice. The imparting of sin by the laying on of hands suggests that the animal becomes a substitute for the sinner.

4. Killing the animal is very personal. It is not done for the sinner by a third party but by the sinner himself.

Both 3 & 4 don't happen formally, but I do know that I must acknowledge that Jesus' death was a direct result of my sins.

I'm back -- to add to my previous ramblings!! (sorry -- it's Friday night and there's a sleepover going on -- a little tough to think in complete sentences!)

Under #1, above, I said that the timing of OT believers was confession and then sacrifice, but for us NT believers, it is the other way around. Jesus' sacrifice occured first, and, by faith, we then confess our sins and receive the benefits of His sacrifice -- namely, our salvation. I just want to add that this new order is the mark of God's grace extended toward us. "While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." I did nothing to earn his sacrificial gift. He died for me before I was even a thought in anyone's mind -- except for in the mind of my Creator. :D