JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. The Loving God

• 2 weeks later...

God never changed His nature somewhere between Moses and Jesus. He was always the great, loving, forgiving God. Those who took the trouble to know Him knew the depths of His love. In essence it is all there for anyone to see, even in creation where He has set us about with a most amazing world to enjoy.The prophets, the psalmists all knew of this great unchanging love in which they lived. Always He was ready to forgive Israel when they repented and returned to Him, and to re-establish the covenant. Always any gentile who wished could become a Jew and fully participate in the covenant, eg Ruth, Rahab. None were refused, but all delightedly received by our great and mighty God.

According to John 3:16, Jesus came into the world as a focal point for humankind, that whoever should believe in Him should enter the "Promised Land" (= eternal life). This opened up the Jewish faith to the whole world. As they had had their 40 years wilderness experiences to relate to and know God's provision and character, so the whole world would have its sign in Jesus. As the Jews had their brass serpent on a pole in the wilderness, so the whole world would see Jesus and the cross as their salvation. Jesus has indeed been a focal point for all mankind. Even the international calendar is dated from His birth (even though they change the wording to try to hide this fact!) Jesus is the fulcrum on which the whole of creation rotates! He is the one by whom all will be judged. If life is a very (sinfully) slippery seesaw, then Jesus is the pivot (the weighty sacrifice) and doorway, God's righteousness/mercy sits at one end and each person on the other. My only chance of getting through to God (and eternal life in Heaven) is to attach myself to Jesus and go through Him onto the safe end of the seesaw! Then the weight of my sin will not count against me. Anywhere else and I slide down into the pits of hell. There are certain times in the seesaw of life that righteous God (in mercy) moves (the see saw) in such a way that I have an opportunity to do this. To miss that opportunity is disastrous. To take it is momentous. I then live on the "other side", in eternity, even though I am still on the seesaw of human life! It's a totally new zone! The WOW zone! I can still relate to those on the wrong side of the slide and plead with them to come on through, untill Father takes me off the slide altogether, into His everlasting arms! He picks up His child and laughs with eternal joy.

Q3. How does God's steadfast love in the Old Testament relate to his mission of love?

John 3:16 God loved the world so much He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 12:44 Jesus shouted to the crowds, "If you trust me, you are really trusting God. When you see me, you are seeing the one who sent me. I have come as a light to shine in this dark world, so that all who put their trust in me will no longer wander in the darkness. If anyone hears me and doesn't obey me, I am not his judge, But all who reject me and my message will be judged at the Day of Judgment by the truths I have spoken. For these are not my own ideas, but I have told you what the Father said to tell you. His instructions lead to eternal life; so whatever He tells me to say, I say.

Does the world have an ear to hear this beautiful message of love, sent to man, seen in the sacrifice that was freely given on the cross, to redeem man from the curse of death, and to give eternal life with Him. Steadfast love for sure.

The LORD is the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8). In the Exodus passage we started this lesson with, He is described as merciful, compassionate, forgiving, and abounding in steadfast love. At the very onset of sin by Adam and Eve, Yahweh gave the loving promise of Messiah. The very idea of a plan to save us from sin was born out of His great love. Neither His love nor His promise changed at all through the centuries that passed before the beloved Son of God physically came into the world to redeem humanity from that sin. God was faithful to His loving character as He was at work in everything that happened from Adam to Christ. In John 3:16, the glorious promise of everlasting life that overcomes the death resulting from sin was fulfilled because of His steadfast, unchanging, sacrificial love. His love is what secures our salvation and our eternity with Him. Love so amazing, so divine demands my soul, my life, my all!

The Old Testament is the basis for the New. God illustrates His history with mankind, how, in our sinful nature we cannot have a relationship with a Holy God. He demonstrates His boundless love for us by reaching down, and picking us up each time we fail. It would be a task in itself to count the times that His people failed Him in the Old Testament. The book of Judges alone shows many failings.

Yet, these failings are the very reason for the New Testament as a whole, and John 3:16 in particular. Because of our inability to keep his law, because of the infirmity of our flesh, He knew He had to make a better way. A way in which there could be no failure, a perfect sacrifice to redeem us for all time. He provided something than no man would give, His Son, who would endure the cross to bring us back to the Father. To give us everlasting life. Greater love has no man. A mission, set and established thousands of year before, in the Garden of Eden.

Q3. How does God's steadfast love in the Old Testament relate to his mission of love in John 3:16?

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

• For I am the LORD, I do not change; therefore you are not consumed, O sons of Jacob. (Malachi 3:6)
  • Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. (Hebrews 13:8)
  • Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning. (James 1:17)

God's love in the Old and New Testament remains the same, he loves us so much that he gave his Son. How many can relate to turning over a loved one, to save others? But our father who loves us the same everyday, never waivering, never fading, never changing, gave his Son to the cross to save us from our sins. He is truly an AWESOME GOD.

God's steadfast love in the O.T. pointed to the time that in His ultimate love for the world (us) He sent His only Son to die for us & for the sins we would commit. His love never changed--it widened to include you & me. Praise Him!

God has so much love to give that He gave His One & Only Son for our redemption. He was willing to give up one to save thousands even millions with His merciful, compassionate, gracious and forgiving love for us , even thousands of generations later. He is unchangable.. ALL PRAISE, HONOR AND GLORY TO GOD THE FATHER!

How does God's steadfast love in the Old Testament relate to His mission of love in John 3:16?

In the Old Testament, the people sacrifaced animals to atone for their sins. However, this system could only cover their sins not take them away completely. In a sense, God rolled those sins forward until Christ came. Then they were paid in full by Christ's sacriface on the cross. Because of God's great love and compassion, He found a way to be both just and forgiving. Because of Jesus' death on the cross justice was satisfied and mercy was granted.

God never changed His nature over the generations though the same cannot be said of man. He was and is always the great, loving, forgiving God. The LORD is the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8). Those who want to know Him can really swim in the depths of His Amazing love-the love that was so much that He sent His only beloved son Jesus for me. There can be know better reason to say that His mission on earth is to mould each one into the image of His son only by His love. The Word which is revealed by prophets, the psalmists who knew of this great unchanging love is an illustration of His love which is so refreshing even now. The very thought that the Almighty loves me unconditionally gives one a high which no other drug of this world can give. He is ready to forgive no matter what my sin is just because of His love. According to John 3:16, Jesus came into the world as a focal point for humankind, that whoever should believe in Him will have life, abundant life. Jesus is the fulcrum on which the whole of creation rotates!. My only chance of getting through to God is Jesus! Can the world have an ear to hear this beautiful message of love, sent to man, seen in the sacrifice that was freely given on the cross, to redeem man from the curse of death, and to give eternal life with Him. Steadfast love for sure. The very idea of a plan to save us from sin was born out of His great love. Neither His love nor His promise changed at all through the centuries. His love is what secures my salvation and my eternity with Him. Love so amazing, so divine demands my soul, my life, my all!

How does God's steadfast love in the Old Testament relate His mission of love in John 3:16?

I do not find this an easy question to answer. The character of God so far as we can fathom it was evident in the Old Testament. It is unchanging because it is perfect. There is no doubt too that God loved the people of Irael. However exhasperated He may have become, He was forgiving; He wanted the best for them. He wanted their obedience so He could share His love for them. There is the forgiveness for sins. God forgives transgressions in the Old Testament. There is sacfrice for sins but it is a ritual that is repeated. Yet there is something qualitatively different with God's act of immerse love towards humankind when He gives the gift of His own Son. This is not a gift just for the Jews but for all mankind. The gift too is qualitatively different. Jesus shares our humanity. He is the mediator between us and God and the only way to Him. It is His atoning sacrifice which conquers sin and hence death once and for all. Salvation for mankind and an eternity with God, there can be no greater loving gesture than that.

God's faithfulness is so great, it is still the same from the very beginning of time until today. He has always found a way to keep us and save us, from the Old Testament atoning of sins through animal sacrifice until today being saved by the blood of His only begotten son, Jesus Christ. That is a love that we can not comprehend and a faithfulness to us that is beyond our capacity to understand. We really need to take time this Easter season to reflect on all of this, and to have thankful hearts towards Him and resolve to continue in doing good and renewing our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. To live our lives in faithfulness to Him, going out and sharing this wonderful good news! To be a light in the darkness! Showing others His love, through our devotion and gratitude in service to our King!

It is because God loved his people the Jewish people decendents of Abraham and wanted

them to of their free will love Him. That God made a plan that would allow sin to be forgiven

once and for all. In the OT. The blood sacrifices only covered sin ... God needed a way to

get rid of Sin so He could love people and people could love him and come to him and free

of the stain of sin. He was steadfast in his repenting of his anger against the Jews and

making another covenant over and over again because He knew that his plan once carried

out by his Son Jesus would take in the Jew's and people of the past OT. and would focus

forward on all sin after the Sacrifice. Now it is out there by Grace and faith that if we believe

His steadfast love kept the OT. saints in a bosom of Abraham till Jesus Completed his Sacrifice

and then His plan of love and Grace was completed. It was like a Grandfather clause today

He kept up his love of the Jews and OT. believers and kept them till the Day of Salvation.

They were like Grandfathered into his plan of Salvation. At least that is how I see the plan. :rolleyes::blink: If I am correct.

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus Christ was a perfect picture of God and a perfect teacher of God's truth. Jesus Christ was also the perfect sacrifice---the Lamb of God.

The Old Testment sacrifical system required that an unblemished lamb be slain on the altar in place of us, on at least a yearly basis.Throuhg its death, we could be forgiven of our sins and given a fresh start.

When Jesus died on the cross, Jesus fulfilled the requirements of that sacrifical system completely and forever. He is the Lamb of God who deals with our sins, our powerlessness,and our shortcomings. He gives each of us a chance for a new start,no matter how terrible our past has been.

Q3. How does God's steadfast love in the Old Testament relate to his mission of love in John 3:16?

I agree with everyone else God's Love for man is never changing. His word says that He has loved us since before the creation of the world. That means He loves us the same every day without change no matter what we do. The love He had for the Isrealites in the wilderness and the Love laid out for man in John 3:16 are a continuation of the same Love that was spoken of before time began,When He spoke the words let us make man in our image that was a greater Love than anyone could ever imagine. There is no change in God's Love it is timeless and the only pure unrestricted Love there is.

How does God's steadfast love in the Old Testament relate to his mission of love in John 3:16?

In the Old Testament man had to make blood sacrifices from bulls & goats in the tabernacle to find forgiveness from God & this was ongoing. In the New Testament, God sent his son Jesus who shed his blood on the cross at Calvary, a one time sacrifice for all time. :)

IN THE OLD TESTIMENT PEOPLE WERE FORGIVEN BY ANIMAL BLOOD SACRIFICE.GODS LOVE FOR HIS PEOPLE WAS ALSO SHOWN IN THE TEMPLE,SENDING INSTRUCTIONS TO THE PEOPLE IN HOW THEY SHOULD LIVE WITH OUT SIN IN THEIR LIVES.

I DIDN'T REALIZE HOW GOD ROLLED ALL THOSE SINS FORWARD UNTIL JESUS CHRIST CAME AND JOHN 3:16 WAS FULLFILLED.IF YOU REALLY THINK ABOUT IT ,SIN WAS CARRIED BY GOD FOR MANY ,MANY YEARS.GOD LOVES ALL HIS CREATION,AND HE LOVED HIS PEOPLE.I BELIEVE GOD GRIEVED OVER MANS SEPERATION OVER SIN AND HIS MISSION OF LOVE WAS SOON CARRIED OUT THROUGH GOD'S SACRIFICE OF HIS PRECIOUS SON JESUS.GOD HAS MADE AWAY FOR US TO REPENT AND BE SAVED FROM OUR SINS.WE HAVE A CHOICE TO LIVE IN SIN OR REPENT OF OUR SINS AND WALK IN THE LIGHT OF SALVATION ,GIVEN TO US BY THE LIFE OF JESUS ,WHO DIED ON THE CROSS.THERE IS KNOW GREATER LOVE THAN THE LOVE OF GOD WHO GAVE HIS ONLY SON TO DIE FOR OUR SINS,GODS MISSION OF LOVE .REAL LOVE IS AN ACTION,NOT A FEELING.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

God's love in the old testament is the same as His love in the New Testament. God's love is unchanging. He gave His only begotten Son to save us because of the love He has for us. It is the same love he had for us before. Because we could never be completely saved from sin through sacrifice of animals, God shows how very much he loves us through His ultimate sacrifice of His only begotten son.

God IS love - that has never changed and never will change. It was the same in the Old Testament as it is in the New Testament. He gave his beloved Son to save us and that is a love that is beyond our comprehension. It

• 4 weeks later...

- Many peolpe think that the God of the Old Testament is a God of wrath , only to be feared . God is slow to anger , and His Love cannot be diminished.

- God's Love for us was so willing to give freely to the point of self-sacrifice.God paid dearly with the life of His Son , the highest price He could pay.

• 3 months later...