JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Remember, we have agreed to respectfully and lovingly disagree with one another. What do you know? Perhaps we can learn from and be enriched by each other's understanding. (Note: I will exclude from the online discussion any who, in my opinion, are sarcastic and unloving in their manner.)

Q1. How does your particular understanding of the bread and the wine (literal or figurative) help you grow closer to Christ when partaking of the Lord's Supper? (Note: This question is not your excuse to argue, but to learn from one another's personal experience of partaking.)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Partaking of the Lord's Supper is a spiritual experience. It's a connecting point in a specific way of my spirit to the Spirit of Christ. The Supper is a reminder to me that my my sin was extremely costly; my salvation was gained by a spiritual victory that required the breaking of the Savior's physical body and the shedding of His literal blood on a cruel cross as He became my sin. It reminds me that the Spirit alone accomplishes the purpose of creating the character of Christ in me and transforming me to holiness. As I partake, I'm reminded I must live in and by the Spirit in order to please God.

Jesus instructed us to "Do this in remembrance of Me." We are forgetful creatures, and we need to remember! To me, the elements of the Supper are tangible memorials of the physical sacrifice He made so that I might spiritually live through Him in eternity. They are touchable sensory reminders of His call for my own spiritual sacrifice to die to myself so that He might physically live through me in my earthly life. The tangible presence of Christ is now at the right hand of the Father. His presence on earth is in Spirit, so I do not understand this to be a literal consumption of His body and blood. Again, it is a worshipful experience of the spirit for me.

The Supper is a humbling sacred remembrance of the tremendous cost of providing a restored relationship for me to Yahweh. It is a moving, renewing celebration of how much I am vastly loved by the Father, gloriously redeemed by the Son, and victoriously empowered by the Spirit. What a precious Savior, and what an important sacrament!

Q1. How does your particular understanding of the bread and the wine (literal or figurative) help you grow closer to Christ when partaking of the Lord's Supper?

For me personally it is a reminder.

One important act I can participate in which helps to bring back to rememberance the great sacrifice which was paid by the 'one' who loves me and has given me eternal life.

There is a reason Jesus is quoted by Paul as saying, "....do this in remembrance of me" in 1Cor.11...

for its very easy as we travel on our Pilgrims high-way, to forget the great price and debt we owe to the spilling of His blood and the breaking of His body that day on mount Calvary; We can become so busy 'being believers' and all which that entails, that we need to be taken back to the Cross---participating in the Lords Supper, does this for me.

I will add though its wonderful to do so with a group of believers, some of the deepest experiences we can have during a Communion can be alone with God. These times do not have to be regulated to only those times of Communion with a group.

My understanding of Scripture is that Christ gave us a pattern to follow in partaking of bread and wine (or juice.) For me the elements are not literally His body and blood, but are figurative reminders of the incredible sacrifice made on my behalf.

For me then, the bread and cup are wonderful mnemonic devices which place my focus on our Lord's sacrifice. They help me, along with all who participate simultaneously, to meditate together. In the centre of our worship, should be the fact of Jesus Christ and what He has accomplished for us, and in partaking in communion, I renew that emphasis.

Because I believe the elements are figurative reminders, I look past them to Christ Himself. I appreciate that fact that the moments of communion every week are not about the actual elements, but about the Saviour who died and rose again. For me, the Lord's Supper is key in our worship service and along with the relevant Scriptures can take us to the crux of our faith.

Q1. How does your particular understanding of the bread and the wine (literal or figurative) help you grow closer to Christ when partaking of the Lord's Supper?

When I partake in the Lord's Supper I cannot help but to feel a deep sorrow for God. His only desire, His only will is that we should love Him.... These two verses most always come to mind when I partake of the Lord's Supper, Isa. 43:19 "For I am about to do a brand-new thing. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness for my people to come home. I will create rivers for them in the desert! " and Luke 13:34 "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones God's messengers! How often I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn't let me."

I feel sorry for God because man has made difficult what God wanted to be easy, "love Me with all your heart, mind, and soul."

Darrell

When I take communion and hold the piece of bread in my hands, I think about His body. I want to cry each time. My precious Lord's body the sacrifice he gave to us. His anguish, all He gave. It strengthens me to try to become more like Him and obey His commands also to understand Him, to understand His death.

When I take the wine I love visualizing this as forgiveness entering my body and flowing in my veins. Forgiveness so much a part of my body that it is within every cell all because of Jesus' blood flowing from the cross. I love that Jesus gave us this act to help us remember all that He did for us. I am so thankful I can't even put it into words properly.

Oh Lord thank you with all my heart and soul and mind. I long to be closer to you and more like you each day.

Whenever I take communion, I feel myself being drawn closer to Jesus and consequently God, any pain I may be experiencing is nothing compared to the sacrifice God gave to the world. In fact I have come to the point where it is impossible for me to participate in the Lord's Supper if there is any anger or bad feelings existing between me and anyone else in the Body, I truly believe that participating in communion whilst these feelings are present is counter to what the purpose of the act should be. God bless.

For me, this is a spiritual and sacred reminder what Jesus wants us to do. We are to remember him for what he is and what he has taught and for what he died for. His Father sacrificed his Son, Jesus Christ, so that we may have hope for resurrection and have everlasting life. Taking the bread which is his body and taking of the wine which is his blood, just draws me ever closer to Jesus. Gives my heart so much joy knowing that I am living and doing what is required of me.

Remember, we have agreed to respectfully and lovingly disagree with one another. What do you know? Perhaps we can learn from and be enriched by each other's understanding. (Note: I will exclude from the online discussion any who, in my opinion, are sarcastic and unloving in their manner.)

Q1. How does your particular understanding of the bread and the wine (literal or figurative) help you grow closer to Christ when partaking of the Lord's Supper? (Note: This question is not your excuse to argue, but to learn from one another's personal experience of partaking.)

My understanding is that the bread and wine are not literal. They represent love at its peak. They remind me of how our Lord Jesus suffered sacrificially by paying the peanlty of my sin. This hepls me to respond positvely by loving him and others too.

Coming from a tradition which sees the body and blood figuratively it has usually been a reminder to me of the sacrifice that our Saviour made for us. It has also been a moment to seek forgiveness for my sins or I have simply used the time to meditate on things sacred as it is a mystical time for me. Recently I have read and listened to Catholic teachings which have given me pause to think. Reading John 6 and reading that apparently the early records show the christians believed it literally did make me wonder. What a lovely idea that God is literally in me (when one partakes of the wafer) and how even more meaningful it would be to take communion. However the jury is out on that one for me. Hence the reason why I am happy to take this course.

IT IS A GREAT DAY OF CELEBRATION!!! I think about a jewish wedding in the days of Christ. The bridegroom recited a ritural statement as to his acquisition of the bride and the consecration of himself to her. He would pour a cup of wine for the woman and place it before her. If the woman was willing to receive the man and his proposal, she would drink of the wine which sealed the covenant. I drink that cup in remembrance of my bridegroom who has gone to prepare a place for me, I have oil in my lamp and am anxious for Him to come again, to come for His bride, who has made herself ready.

The bread and wine-body and blood of Christ are "nourishment" of the working power through the Holy Spirit. By receiving the body and blood we develop a deeper understanding of what price Jesus actually had to pay to save us. It is an important reminder that he gave everything for us by going through a physical death.

John 6:54-57 (King James Version)

54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me

I wanted to use the above scripture to explain my answer. I believe that the word sent is what makes the greatest difference for me, in this lesson. I don't believe that word has ever stuck out in my mind before.

Jesus saying, that He lives by the living Father who sent Him, causes me to understand in a huge way that this, the eating of the bread, which represents His flesh, is a significance that when we eat this bread in remembrance, it signifies His refreshing our souls and nourishes our souls, which thereby gives us a renewed strength, in our body, because it is a representation of a renewal of life that is sent, from the creator, who commanded it into existence.

Same as in the wine, with the exception that this represents the life that flows through the flesh. This flow, life

I grew up under one belief and am now in a church with the opposite, so this makes me think! When I partake of the Lord's Supper I first of all know I am obeying Jesus. Secondly I am remembering His death - the ultimate sacrifice for my sins and the sins of the whole world. Finally I believe that I am receiving from Him (it doesn't matter HOW it works). My current pastor often spends the whole service focusing on Jesus and His sacrifice before we take communion. Then, he'll spend time, once everyone has the elements, focusing on each one and what it "cost" Jesus and what Jesus gave through each one for us. He'll often ask us to "call out" what the body or the blood means. The Lord's Supper causes me to once again thank Jesus, remember what it cost Him (as best I can understand it), and strengthens my love for Him. And it allows His Spirit to move in me. Praise Him!!

Participating in communion is a special time of remembrance and renewal for me. Eating and drinking the bread and wine as the pastor or celebrant says "Take and eat, the Body of Christ" and "Take, drink, the blood of Christ" fills me with thankfulness that Christ lived and died in my stead so that now He can live IN me. The bread & wine become a part of me physically and I am now to be Christ to others. (I can't do this, obviously, but the Spirit of Christ must live in me if I am to reflect Christ in my daily living.) The physical act of eating & drinking is so common and ordinary; and our lives in Christ should be that too...daily, common, what we are and what we do. Only through the power of the Holy Spirit can we live as witnesses to the faith we share. And yet, the sharing of The Lord's Supper is anything BUT common and ordinary. It is filled with power and the love of God for all of us. "This do in remebrance of me." Praise God from whom ALL blessings flow! Midge

When taking the bread and wine which symbolises the Body and Blood of Our Lord Jesus , I have to remind myself of my many sins which Jesus Carried for me at the Cross.I should live a Holy life not nailing Him again on the Cross.

Having grown up with the literal translation of the Lord's Supper and now belonging to a denomination that believes the figurative translation - I must add that the Lord's Supper is a deeply intimate time between the Lord and myself. It is unlike my daily time with Him, in that the entire process of holding the elements and taking time to confess and converse with God so much more profound and personal. I've said, jokingly, to my pastor that I wish we could have this service more than just quarterly because it is so moving, however, I realize this is what keeps it profound and not rote.

Have a lovely Lord's Day all!

The Lord's Supper to Me is a reminder given to us by Jesus, that when two or more of us are gathered in His name He is there. In this instance He has made symbols to represent his body and his blood. The most important part of the supper seems to be the unity of the body. Our church will all be at the alter, on our knees, if we are able, looking inward at our own hearts before we partake of the bread and the wine. It's a very moving reminder that the church is to be united in spirit before taking communion. Jesus prayed for unity amoung the believers the night before His death and I think that is what the Lord's sacrifice helps us to keep.

the fact that Jesus commanded us to partake - and he labeled the bread and wine as His flesh and blood - brings the reality of exactly what God has done for us- He sent His Son, who willingly sacrificed Himself for the purpose of providing for me for all of us the promise of eternal life and redemptionj from sin. He satisfied the requirement of God's wrath. It is our sign of the New Covenant, when we partake we are saying we are partners in the covenant.

As a minister to the homeless I see Christians from every sect and have come to respect each individuals understanding of the scriptures as they were taught. At the same time, we partake of the Lord's Supper as we understand,hoping that they can experience His presence by the fellowship of the event.

It is exactly what we feel as we memorialize Him by the taking of His body (the bread) and the drinking of His blood (the wine). He commanded us to do this in remembrance of Him, His death and resurrection, His life and purpose as well.

Communion should not be only for a deep, personal reunion with our Savior but, it should too be a time of intimate fellowship with one another,celebrating the Lord Jesus together and remembering His great sacrifice to set us free, a time of unity and of love.

I believe that the body and blood are figurative and symbolic. Each time I partake of Communion, I thank Jesus for his sacrifice for my sins. I know that I am not worthy of it, but am thankful for God

Having had the privilege of being in the ministry for almost 40 years, I can look back on many wonderful times we have shared with our congregations. The joy and thrill of partaking of communion with others was always of highpoint in any service. To have the opportunity to quietly be reminded of what it cost God, His only Son, to purchase my redemption is always a very humbling experience. To hold in my hand the elements symbolic of His body and His blood, and then to partake of them, is for me an experience that is very moving and hard to put into words. For me it is a very vivid reminder that God really is love and in that brief period of time I sense His presence so close and real.