JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Repitition

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything done often runs the risk of becoming mundane and losing its meaning. We all know how easily something that seems so enjoyable or exciting or satisfying can become very ordinary, even boring, when it is repeated over and over. The challenge is to allow the Spirit to breathe life, bring new conviction, and speak fresh power into and through the experience - every single time.

Jesus commanded us to perpetually "do this" celebration because we forget. Last summer, my mother should have died, but God did some undeniable miracles to heal and restore her. Here, only nine months later, I occasionally find myself taking it for granted and must remind myself of what a blessing and miracle her presence is. Think about how quickly our nation has forgotten what should have been indelible lessons from the horror of 9/11. It's our very nature to forget. (Remember, we're just dumb little sheep!) Yahweh instituted memorials and ceremonies from the earliest times in the O.T. for that reason. We need a special, specific time on a regular basis to remember what Jesus gave up, endured, and accomplished for us in His death for us (our salvation) and to reflect on our progress of becoming more and more Christlike (our sanctification).

When repeated often, doesn't the Lord's Supper run the risk of becoming mundane and lose its meaning? Why did Jesus command its repetition?

For the same reason remembering God's laws becomes mundane and loses its meaning ... (sarcasm)

That is why God directed in Deuteronomy 6:4-9:

4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. F15 5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.

We are in the process of training a new puppy right now, all the books say that the dog that is under four months of age has a memory/attention span of about 3 seconds. An act and reward or an act and a punishment separated by more than 5 seconds will not necessarilly be associated in the puppy brain.

Humans, especially as a community whole are a little better. Even though my local congregation only celebrates the Lord's supper on a weekly basis as was the custom in Acts - this is one point where I can not even complain when congregations offer this partaking even on a daily basis - like in the Roman Catholic churches. My complaints come when they shed it of its core meaning.

As the study stated near the end: I think it is ironic, that some churches relegate the Lord's Supper to an only occasional observance, when the sacrament contains the church's central message.

Amen brother - keep up the great teaching!

I know anything can become mundane in our lives if done too much or too often, but I also know that when everything is done from a pure heart, then we can be sure of those things not becoming mundane, but to be seen as blessings. We can apply that to everything from the most boring, small thing in our life to the most exciting! If it's not done from a pure heart for Jesus....then it will become mundane and we won't see them as a blessing and work of our hands for Him. I see that in relationships also. If we aren't in them with Jesus, then they can become mundane, but if Jesus is present, then they are blessings.

I could take communion every day and if my heart was focused on Jesus, it never becomes mundane, but if done as a religious ritual...it will. On the other hand, if I don't take communion enough, I can loose that opportunity to be used as a reminder of all Jesus did for us and distance myself from my purpose here. To live a life in Christ in the ways He showed us.

Our church does not take communion very often. So, I immerse myself in the Word and in studying and meditating on the Word. I seek to see His face around me and try to apply all that into my life. I can be continually stretched and sometimes fail but I always find a new thing He wants me to see or know either about myself for correction or encouragement, or how to live better for Him.

I know Jesus wants us to remember in many ways....but communion is so focused on the broken body and blood poured out that it is our number one way to remember in reverance and solemnity what Jesus did for us and what He is asking of us in this life.

The attitude we come with and experience in this is most likely the attitude we then take out into the world. We can be arrogant in our way or humble in our way. Casual or serious. All of these things are so connected and we are so connected together through communion and remembering what it was about then (Jesus) and still is about now. (Living a life in Christ Jesus)

Q1. When repeated often, doesn't the Lord's Supper run the risk of becoming mundane and lose its meaning? Why did Jesus command its repetition?

I agree with the statements already made. I think our Lord knows of our weaknesses, needs to satisfy the body and resist the temptations brought about through this world. For this reason I believe He commanded us to "do this," in remembrance of Him. Without reminders I fear some would forget who they are, I did in my early walk. Even today I sometimes see myself in what I call a short fall. Short because it does not last and fall because it draws me away from God.

While these short falls happen less and less they still happen. I am sure you can relate to becoming angry while driving and thinking or saying something that is not loving regarding another driver. Perhaps while waiting you become angry because you have more pressing matters to attend to or you are fighting the clock. Your thoughts begin..."how long must I wait in this...."

All of us have short falls, God knew this and He left us His word to meditate on and I believe he gave us the Lord's Supper to serve as a reminder to many of His life, death and what it all meant. Even those who do not study the bible have been exposed to the Lord's Supper. For many it has served as a seed that drew them to Him. So, can it become mundane? Only if a person allows it to become so in their mind by failing to value it for what it represents.

As noted in my response the purposes are many, I have only listed a few. All that our Lord tells us to do can only be limited by our thoughts and inactions. The results or true measure of what our obedience brings is only intangible to our minds and life cycle. However, He knows and sees all. Amen.

Q1. When repeated often, doesn't the Lord's Supper run the risk of becoming mundane and lose its meaning? Why did Jesus command its repetition?

I do not understand how taking the Lord's Supper "often" can become mundane. The Lord's Supper has a purpose, our hearts and minds must be reminded of the awesome work the Lord did on the cross for us. It is a reminder that He is coming again for us, and we will drink with Him the cup of wine. When they drank the cup, it was after the meal, and it was a celebration. It is a time of celebrating for me, it is a time of bringing afresh, how much God loves "ME," for He gave His only Son that I could be in fellowship with the Father God. I find it to be true, the more I take it, the sweeter He grows. Mundane? no, rejoice! yes.

I believe in the majority of people this is true. How often is enough & how often is too much, I think, depends on the each person & where their heart is. I think it is wise, from time to time, to stop & rethink all that we believe in & things we practice in our faith in order to refresh & renew them. Too often we don't allow ourselves to do this because we are afraid if we question what we think & do in the name of Jesus it might shake the foundations of our faith & make us uncomfortable. True faith can & will stand this test & be made stronger because of this. One of the joys of living in Minnesota is that every spring you see people out reveling in the change of weather. We have survived a cold harsh winter & newness of life & warmer weather is here again for a short time. It truely lifts our spirits to a euphoric feeling. If our celebration of the Lord's Supper is not met with the same reveling & euphoric feeling, I think it is time to step back & ask ourselve has the Lord's Supper become mundane & lost its meaning.

As others have already mentionned, anything that is repeated often has the danger of becoming a mere ritual, and in many believers this may in fact be the case. However, for those to whom it remains a special celebration with deep meaning, I believe that the repetition is vital for reinforcing one's faith especially during times when it is troubled by other circumstances.

I find it invaluable when frustration threatens to engulf me, to remind me that I have a special place in God's heart, that nothing I attempt for God is a 'waste of effort', and that I am a valuable part of God's family. It is up to the individual's own attitude as to whether the Lord's Supper becomes mundane, or whether, as it is to me and to many of the street folk to whom I minister, each communion is a unique service.

When repeated often, doesn't the Lord's Supper run the risk of becoming mundane and lose its meaning? Why did Jesus command its repetition?

Only mundane if we begin to forget the real meaning behind it....

I had to laugh at todays question because it brought to mind just how forgetful we humans can be.; Heck, I can't even remember what I had for dinner last night. :lol:

Jesus knew we needed to be reminded--and reminded often of the great sacrifice which bought and paid for our eternal life....He doesn't want us to ever take it for granted.

If we need a good example of how easy it is to forget, or begin to take God's grace/mercy/love for granted, all we have to do is 'flip' back to the book of Exodus. Its filled with God's personal interventions and provisions..and also full of the murmurings and 'forgetfulness' of the children of Israel.

We're no different today.

Holy Communion MUST NOT become mudane, and we do have to exercise our thoughts and hearts to correctly approach His Table and His Command to take it regularly, for we are forgetful of our own sinfulness, and our own NEEDS to be reminded often to take communion in Remembrance of our Savior whose Life and Death and Resurrection provides us with the Gift of Life through His Sacrifice of HIMSELF.

We sin daily, and probably need communion with Him daily, so I really feel knowing how much I NEED HIS FORGIVENESS AND LOVE, obeying Him by taking communion is vital to my spiritual growth, and it helps me keep my heart cleansed of sin. The practice of taking it is so important to me, that I do not feel like I have been to church if it is not offered to me....it is a need in my heart , not just to obey Him, but because is brings His presence to my whole being. I am very THANKFUL He gave us this commandment.

When repeated often, doesn't the Lord's Supper run the risk of becoming mundane and lose its meaning? No & if it did become mundane & lose it's meaning to anyone, then that would show that that person is not in a right relationship with God & needs to look at their life. By partaking of the Lord's Supper on a regular weekly basis it is keeping us in a closer more knit union with the Lord than perhaps we would have if we were not taking it regularly. :)

Why did Jesus command its repetition?

Jesus commanded us to repeat it so that we stay in union with God, & as a reminder of his great love for us. :)

I do not feel that the frequently repeating the Lord's Supper is what would make it become

mundane and loose it's meaning. I think the Key to frequently celebrating the Lords supper

and keeping the experience significant and new and meaningfull has alot to do with a persons

heart and preperation for this celebration , experience, think of it as an ( act of participation )

We do alot of things in our lives over and over again. especially with our work... the only way

we can stand to go and do this is to think of it is diffrent ways and add joy to our days by doing

something that we do perhaps with music in the background or other ways of changing the

mundane.

I will say two scripthru verses came to mind when I was thinking of this. They are Romans 12:2

Be ye not conformed to this world but be ye transformed by the renewing of your

mindsThat ye may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect

will of God. and a better one is --- Ephesians 4:23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind.

I feel that even if we were to take the Lords supper every day... and the only ones I know that

do this are the Catholic's at daily mass... that I am aware of any way or if we partake each and

every week as a congregation. It is the preperation of our minds and hearts that make the

experience, or the act of participation in the Lords supper new and meaningfull to our hearts

with each repitition.

So As you prepare for the Lords Supper .... keep reading scriptures that talk of the Lords supper

and think of new ways to look at it in your mind and share with others how this is and or ask

the Holy Spirit to show you new joys and ways of thinking of the celebration of Jesus's Dying for

us... Which is what is being celebrated when we partake.

And be ye renewed in the Spirit of your mind Eph 4:23 Each time you participate in

the celebration of the Lords supper it should not become a mundane and common experienc.

I feel Jesus commanded it's repetition so that there was an experience happening in our lives

that would remind us that we are not good , we are sinners but that Jesus /God gave us a gift

of taking our punishment for sin and that thru this experience repeating itself often in our lives

we will REMEMBER what Jesus did for us....

There is a possibility that the Lord's supper could become mundane and lose its meaning. It's up to the people who celebrate it. It's to be done with a great deal of thought, passion and understanding and preparation.

God established a number of celebrations in Israel, like the festival of tabernacles, passover etc. They were to focus people's thinking on important spiritual things. This was the new celebration of passover. People are still celebrating the Lord's Supper 2000 years later, and still it brings people to a deeper and deepr understanding of what God has done for us. This is the reason for its celebration. People go to the football often and it doesn't become mundane in their eyes. How much more should the celebration of Holy Communion be a rich experience as we see God's Spirit moving in many different ways continually.

It probably does become mundane for a number of people, but Jesus' command to repeat it consistently, reveals there is a divine usefulness in so doing. To not repeat it regularly would be to deny regular spiritual sustenance to those followers of Christ who draw from its sacredness. The Saviour knew how much strength participants would be able to receive from it and how it would help to deepen our relationship with Him. At times I must confess it has been mundane to me as I have just gone through the motions of partaking, but that was my stage of the journey toward Him, not that the ritual was mundane, perhaps I was mundane though!

When repeated often, doesn't the Lord's Supper run the risk of becoming mundane and lose its meaning?

Absolutely! Like one member stated - we are, like sheep and the Israelites, so forgetful and in need of continuous reminding of Jesus' atonement for our sins - this ceremony will keep that fresh in our minds when we partake of it in a spirit of repentance and remembrance.

Why did Jesus command its repetition?

Because He is God and He knew/knows His sheep... the disciples *walked* with Him and forgot/denied Him. How sweet it must be to His ears, that we - who have never seen - are still faithful and hopeful and desirous of His presence in this intimate way!

When Jesus said , "Do this to remember me as often as you drink it ." How do we remember Christ in the Lords's Supper? By thinking about what He did and Why He did it. Futher , the remembering has both a backward and forward look. We remember Christ's death , and we remember that He is coming! If the Lord's Supper becomes just a ritual or pious habit , it loses its significance. But when we appreciate what Christ Has done and anticipate what He will do when He returns , the Lords Supper takes on a profound sense of purpose.Take time to prepare yourself spiritually for Communion .Greatfully recall Christ's Loving Sacrafice for you. Let the reality that your sins are forgiven motivate you to Love and Serve Him better.

I would believe that the Lord's Supper would be mundane and repetitious if done too frequently, for anyone who is not properly taught the deep meaning of this great event. It is the responsibility of the church and it's elders to make absolutely certain that the flock is taught the significance of the communion, Jesus' command to us about keeping it and the great and immediate reward that one receives when it is done in accordance with His will.

The Lord wants His sacrifice and what it means to our faith to be ever present in our minds, bodies and souls, thus are we required to celebrate the Lord's Supper continually and genuinely. I am equally convinced that Jesus gave us the communion as a means of fellowship and spiritual growth to help to fashion His body as a unit. All of us as one in Him.

I CONSIDER IT A PRIVILEGE TO TAKE COMMUNION , ESPECIALLY LIKE WE DID TODAY AT CHURCH, WITH OTHER BELIEVERS. IT WAS SO UPLIFTING AND STRENGTHENING TO ME ESPECIALLY SO BECAUSE I WAS VERY DISCOURAGED. COMMUNION IS A GIFT TO US , I THINK, WHERE WE CAN SPEND TIME WITH THE LORD, FELLOWSHIPPING AND TASTING OF HIS SWEET PRESENCE. I DONT FIND COMMUNION TO BE BORING THOUGH I WOULD LIKE TO UNDERSTAND MORE OF ITS SIGNIFICANCE, AND I'M PRAYING THAT I WILL THROUGH THIS STUDY.JESUS KNOWS HUMAN NATURE, AND HE KNOWS HOW QUICKLY WE FORGET AND IT HAS TO BE ONE OF THE REASONS HE COMMANDED US TO TAKE COMMUNION IN REMEMBERANCE OF HIM.IT'S A PHYSICAL ACT THAT HAS SPIRITUAL SIGNIFICANCE ...GOD BLESS...

Any secular thing repeated very often runs the risk of getting mundane and loosing its value, but not the the things of the Spirit. This explains why we read the Bible every day and it does not bore us or become mundane. This is because the Holy Spirit of God working in us gives us a refreshing message each time we read the Word. An ordinary novel can not do this. When we take the Holy Communion each time, the Holy Spirit ignites our hearts as we remember our Lord Jesus again.

Jesus commanded us to continue to do this because He knew the human mind very well that we could easily forget the His sacrificial death to redeem us and drift away or backslide. He did not want to loose us.

Oh my yes, it surely does run the risk of becoming routine!! Just like anything that becomes part of life's "routine". BUT it doesn't have to. I am thinking of marriage (I'm single but still). Most couples get old and stale after awhile. But there are those few who stay madly in love with each other and the relationship stays fresh and vibrant because of the effort both make (I assume).

With the Lord's Supper, I find my pastor's way of presenting it helps. He does read the Scripture from I Corinthians, but he will stop in the middle and ask us a question to think about, or he asks us to share what it means. Then he continues. By not using the same exact liturgical sentences for the entire celebration it keeps it fresh. And we do it different each time - sometimes we get a partner and give communion to each other as pastor leads. Or families go together. Or we all do it up front (if small enough group). Or at our seats together.

Then there are those awesome things in life that NEVER get old no matter how often you do them. Sorta like me with my house. I LOVE the way the previous owners fixed it and even after 10 years I can walk through it and be totally amazed and love it! I can design to keep the Lord's Supper that way - if it truly means to me what it's supposed to mean, too.

Sure, there's a risk with repitition, but it's not a given. So I'll work at it. I won't LET it become meaningless ritual.

Dear all,

My name is haar. I'm sorry I did not introduce myself the first time. I am from Lagos, Nigeria.

Remain bleesed.

haar

It can become mundane if not done in the right frame of mind. That's why Paul reminded us not to make it a feast or it would its meaning. The Corinthians were even doing it when drunk from to much wine. We must make sure that Jesus is formost in our thoughts and hearts and the fact that He died a painful death to save us from our sin is there when ever we take part in the Bread and Wine used to symbolize His Body and Blood.

I believe that Jesus commanded it be repeated becaus He knew that men are prone to forget unless they are given a reminder. Jesus wanted all men to be able to know the things that He had done for them and this was a means for them to show their faith and knowledge of His death and ressurection.

READING THE OTHER ANSWERS, MAKES ME FEEL LIKE CRYING. IT IS SO BEAUTIFUL AND HOW HAPPY THE LORD MUST BE WHEN WE DRAW NEAR TO HIM AND LOVE HIM SO MUCH.

IT IS A HEART THING. MUCH FORGIVEN, MUCH LOVE FOR GOD. IT THEN MUST NOT BECOME MUNDANE AND LOSE ITS MEANING.

I DO FEEL THAT WE PROCLAIM THE LORDS DEATH AND RESURRECTION BY TAKING COMMUNION AND OH WHAT IT MEANS TO THOSE OF US WHO ARE FORGIVEN AND WASHED BY HIS BLOOD

I AM SO HAPPY TO BE DOING THIS STUDY AS I DO NOT KNOW ENOUGH AND FEEL THIS WILL JUST DRAW ME CLOSER TO OUR PRECIOUS LORD AND SAVIOR.

I disagree. When I deeply love someone I want to keep doing things as an expression of my continued love for that person. By taking Communion every week I show Jesus that I love Him and that I remember what it cost Him that I might be free.

Jesus commanded us to continue to do this to remember Him and what He did, but also to remember and look forward to His coming again. Halleluia!