JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. OT Sacrifices as God's Grace

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The religions practised by the pagan nations that occupied the same land as the nation of Israel in Old Testament times often required human sacrifices in order to compensate for any transgression against the gods, however, despite God proclaiming as a result of Adam's sin that the penalty of sin was death, God gave man the ability to surrender an animal without blemish as atonement. These animals were worth quite a bit to their owners so it wasn't a 'cheap' option, and personally I can't imagine what it must have been like to have to spill the blood and sacrifice a prized animal in order to atone for any wrongdoing before God. As ever, despite banishing Adam and Eve from His eternal presence, God was gracious enough to offer a way of redemption, the Laws handed down to Moses were meant to convey to humankind that it was impossible for them to save themselves by their own efforts, but instead of demanding their lives as a punishment for transgressing them, God offered them the use of animals.

If one studies the Old Testament, there are countless numbers of times when mankind rebels against our Loving God, so breaking each covenant that was offered by God, but still God would by His Grace, offer them another chance when they repented and turned back to Him, only to have mankind repeatedly turn away from Him within a very short time. A less Gracious God, a God that did not love His creation would have lost patience, but instead as a final covenant, He gave us His only Son as the ultimate Sacrificial Lamb, His blood washing the sins of all believers away forever, and opening permanently the way to everlasting life in God's presence.

Q1. How were Old Testament sacrifices a way of God showing grace and mercy to his people?

It took the blood of a lamb and poured it out for the sins of the person doing the sacrifice. It taught the people that their sins led to death and that through the death of that innocent lamb their sin was forgiven for another year. God's grace and Mercy are seen in the fact that He allowed the blood of a lamb to remove the sin debt of the people. His Love for them show through in His exceptance of their burnt offering for their sin and made them in covenant relationship with Him.

Through the sacrifices, Yahweh was demonstrating to the people that He was providing a way they could receive His forgiveness for their sins against Him. This was an incredible privilege that mere humanity was so highly valued by the LORD that He wanted to forgive their transgressions against Him. God desires to be merciful and to give abundant grace. He created mankind for the pleasure of a relationship together, not for destruction.

When the transgressor brought an animal of sacrifice to offer, he had to put his hand on the animal's head as it was slain. I think this represented the transfer of his just penalty of death onto another who was blameless, whose blood would be offered for atonement instead of his. The only blameless creatures would be animals. The blood is considered holy as it represented life, which is sacred since God Himself breathed it and made it in His image. In pouring it out in sacrifice, it represented putting the "life" of sin to death and being made holy to God.

These O.T. sacrifices also showed the supreme grace and mercy of God as they painted a portrait of the mission of Messiah. With His own blood, the Lamb of God would come to take away the sins of the world once and for all . With His own blood, He would perform a literal inward cleansing of the heart instead of just a symbolic outer ritual. And with His own blood, He would make His people holy with His own Spirit living within them. Only God's grace could accomplish such a thing!

Q1. How were Old Testament sacrifices a way of God showing grace and mercy to his people?

The firstborn animal or son was given to God. However, since God did not require the death of a firstborn human child, people were able to give a substitute animal and ransom back their child. Animals were always the substitute offering for sin, or any other thing. It was human sin that was the problem, but it was an animal that paid the price - a bit like having a whipping boy when a young prince needed punishment!

By rights the human should take responsibility for his own sin and pay the price - but always there was the other option given by God. The fact that it was never enough, and the price was never fully paid did not deter God. (I think that particular faact never occurred tothe humans at all!) He knew that there was going to be a day when it would be paid in full. Until that day He wanted humanity to substitute. No sinful human would suffice as substitute anyway - the lamb had to be without blemish. So God contented Himself with waiting for full payment. This was His mercy and grace. During the waiting time, the animal sacrifices had to be made so that men might know that sin had a price - and indeed a cow or sheep cost much money. Otherwise they would easily forget the cost of sin. Of course, Jesus later became the perfect substitute and paid full price. Sacrifices have not been needed since.

God accepted the sacrifice as a substitute for the sin of mankind. The blood of the animal was shed instead of the sinner having to sacrifice or shed his own blood, or losing his own life. God through his grace and mercy accepted the sacrifce. The lesser, an animal for the greater, mankind. But the time would come, did come, when God himself gave the one supreme sacrifice, his only son, for the ultimate price paid for the redemption of lost mankind. No other sacrifice would ever be necessary. The greater, God, would die for the lesser, mankind. I feel the old testament sacrifices, in a way, pointed to this great plan of redemption. What mercy, what love and what grace.

Grace is favor shown without regard to the worth of the one who receives it , or what that person deserves. God's example of grace was the redemption of the Hebrew people from Egypt and establishment in the Promised Land. This was not because of any merit on their part, but in spite of their unrighteousness. Grace was found in the Covenant, a gift given by God, received through repentance, obedience, and by faith. God's mercy was shown in a ritual when the Hebrew people offered the blood of an animal to God as a "substitute payment" for their sin. It began in the garden when sin came to mankind and God covered their sin with an animal skin. The animals blood was shed.

The word for sacrifices in the Mosaic Law was "gorban," meaning -"that which is brought near." This is what God is saying to us today, "offer yourselves as a living sacrifice." draw near to me, and I will draw near to you. God gave His Son as a living sacrifice for mankind, once for all, what an awesome thing, by the sacrifice of the Lamb of God, we are now able to offer ourselves as a living sacrifice to Him. Draw near to Him, that is what mankind was created to do, to have fellowship with this wonderful God, who is full of Mercy and Grace.

By allowing His people to sacrifice animals He gave them a provision to atone for their sins with the animal's blood, the only way one could be washed and made clean. He didn't have to make a way but He did, because of His grace and mercy.

Animals Sacrifices of blood were not realy taking away people's sin , it was God Himself who was cleansing people from their sins .This showed that God had great mercy on His people and He Loved them SO much but He hade sin.

THE WAGES OF SIN IS DEATH , SO WHEN PEOPLE SINNED IN THE OLD TESTAMENT AN ANIMAL WAS GIVEN AS A SACRIFICE FOR THEIR SINS.THE LAW REQUIRED AN ANIMAL SACRIFICE FOR HUMAN LIFE. SINCE THE LIFE OF THE FLESH IS IN THE BLOOD,THE ANIMAL'S BLOOD HAD TO BE SHED AND GIVEN AS AN ATONEMENT FOR THE PERSON'S SINS.I BELIEVE THAT'S HOW GOD SHOWED HIS GRACE AND MERCY TO HIS PEOPLE.THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO LEARN THE SERIOUSNESS OF THEIR SINS BY HAVING AN ANIMAL DIE IN THEIR PLACE FOR THEIR SINS OR REBELLION TOWARD GOD.BUT THAT TYPE OF SACRIFICE COULD NOT CLEANSE THE WICKEDNESS OF MAN'S HEART, SO JESUS HIMSELF FULFILLED ALL REQUIRED SACRIFICES FOR OUR SINS WHEN HE WAS LED AS A SHEEP TO THE SLAUGHTER. GOD PROVIDED HIS SON FOR US ONCE AND FOR ALL.WHAT AN AWESOME GOD. THANK GOD FOR HIS SUBSTITUTIONARY ATONEMENT ON THE CROSS.I'M SO GRATEFUL HIS SPIRIT DWELLS IN ME NOW AND IS CHANGING ME ALL THE TIME, FROM GLORY TO GLORY.!!!

:D In considering that blood represents death; a sacrificed death is the only way to wash over sin (nota sin of killing an unblemished animal) of the one who sheds the blood. We are to then take responsibility for driving the nails in Jesus

Again I would have to say that the animal was a symbol of the true sacrifice that was to come. Only the sacrifice provided by God would be able to satisfy the sin debt. This was made clear with Abraham and Isaac. When God commanded Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, he said that God would provide the sacrifice. Every Isrealite knew that the animals were sysmbols of the true sacrifice to come. God's grace and mercy was shown to His people when they, like we, believed what God said, and followed His commands. You need to read Hebrews to see what God saw in the Old Testament Saints. It was Faith. Not the animals, but faith in God and what the animals represented.

God enabled His people to sacrifice and animal, rather than themselves, for the forgiveness of their sins. In His mercy He allowed them to substitute the animal for themselves. He did not have to, it was an undeserved gift, which enabled them to receive His mercy and forgiveness.

Grace and mercy are attributes of God shown to man. In order to understand how these attributes were received by means of the Old Testament sacrifices, I must first understand why they were necessary. The reason for this takes me back to God Himself and my need to understand His character. Thus, God, as Creator of all things, including man, created all things for His pleasure and purposes. Man

The Old Testament sacrifice involved the killing of an animal and the blood of the animal was used to atone the sin of the individual sinner. The blood of animal was shed because without the shedding of blood there was no remission of sin. God is loving and would not want man to die, He thus instructed the substitution of man by the animal. Man who deserved to die beacuse his sin was thus saved.

This act shows God's Grace: the sinner did not merit the salvation and favour, yet he got it. It also shows God's mercy because his sin deserved purnishment and death but because of God's mercy, an animal was used to take the punishment of the sinner.

God's grace & mercy were at work in the sacrificial system. Instead of no way out/no solution to the sin problem, He provided the means through perfect animal sacrifices to be sacrificed for us. He was building the bridge even then to Himself for all of us. Jesus, the perfect human sacrifice appeased our great God & bought salvation for us for once and for all--no more animal sacrifices. His mercy to us was putting our sins on Jesus & not having us pay the awful price for our sin. His grace came in salvation--not earned or deserved.

BLOOD SACRIFICES WERE CONSIDERED IN THE OLD TESTIMENT FOR THE FORGIVENESS OF SIN. " For the life of the flesh [is] in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it [is] the blood [that] maketh an atonement for the soul. LEV 17:11.

BUT ONE WAS NOT ALLOWED TO EAT BLOOD INSTEAD THE BLOOD WAS ONLY USED FOR THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS AND FOR ATONEMENT. "And whatsoever man [there be] of the house of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn among you, that eateth any manner of blood; I will even set my face against that soul that eateth blood, and will cut him off from among his people" LEV 17:10.

Grace and mercy are attributes of God shown to man. In order to understand how these attributes were received by means of the Old Testament sacrifices, I must first understand why they were necessary. The reason for this takes me back to God Himself and my need to understand His character. Thus, God, as Creator of all things, including man, created all things for His pleasure and purposes. Man

Interesting question! To find this answer, I had to go back to the beginning to find the first sacrifice. In the garden, East of Eden, after Adam and Eve first tasted sin, they noticed that they were naked and hid from God. Because they had made their own choice, they were full of sin, God called out to them because He can not look upon sin. Their disobedience created a barrier and they tried to hide their sin by putting a fig leaf on their nakedness. They were feeling guilt and shame, which is a warning signal that God placed inside

of all of us.

Isaiah 47:3 Thy nakedness shall be uncovered, yea, thy shame shall be seen: I will take vengeance, and I will not meet thee as a man.

We can be thankful for these signals because they make us aware of our sin so we can ask for forgiveness. These are works of the Holy Spirit.

Proverbs 28:13 He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.

They had already sinned and did not have the empowering of the Holy Spirit, but they still felt the shame, other wise they would not have hidden from God. Therefore, a sacrifice for their sin had to be made. Scripture doesn

Old testament sacrifices were God's way of showing grace and mercy because when Adam and Eve sinned, they could no longer dwell with God because God is holy. When we sin, or when Adam and Eve sinned, God didn't cast us/them away. He punished their sin, but He made a way to have forgiveness and atonement for sin also....because He loves us. Under the old covenant it was through the blood of animal sacrifices and under the new covenant, it is through the blood of Jesus who was the final sacrifice until today. The seriousness of this is that our sins aren't any less grievious as we sometimes like to fool ourselves into believing, because we are saved, but that God's love and grace are greater because of the way He made for us to be forgiven of them through His only son Jesus. That is a huge extension of love and forgiveness to us and shows us the goodness of God and His goodwill toward men.

I am glad for this lesson. I was always taught to see the severity of God....but now I see the severity of our sin, but the goodness of God.

Thank you!

This shows God's grace and mercy in the OT sacrifices by allowing them to use animals which as been pointed out were very expensive in their day. It would be like us burning a thousand dollars, livestock was their wealth and livelihood.

As Psalm 51 was quoted God wants us to come with broken hearts and spirits to let Him work in us.

Sin is serious. The wages of sin is death (Romans 3:23a).Every man that has sinned has to pay by his/her death, now or later. But man will have twice death that is, first is physical death, and second is spiritual death. The physical death is that someday man will die physically. The spiritual death is that man is to be God