JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Universal Atonement

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D The Lord God chose to have Jesus suffer for the sins of all people in all the world. God would use Jesus as a sacrificial lamb to bring all the people of all time under His sacrificial blood. Many either don't know about Jesus' sacrifice or just reject what He did or put their action off until later which is a foolish thing to do.

Isaiah 52:-15 " So shall He startle & sprinkle many nations...." Isaiah 53: 12 " ....."He bore the sin's of many" Jesus came for all, whom would believe. I sat this am. reading the new lesson, & studying the scriptures thinking " Jaunita, you're not articulate, how can you answer these questions?" So I will just say this.....I am so glad, that Jesus came. I am so thankful I don't have to go to the temple with a sacrifice, of a little lamb, everytime I sin. I thought about all the animal's slain, because of sin, & how under the old covenant, this took place, & how Jesus said "I come not, to do away with the law, but to show you a better way" He is that way! If the blood of innocent "natural" lambs covered our sins in the past....How much greater is the spilling of blood, of our Lord on the cross, in doing away with sin! The creator sacfificing Himself for the creation. ......"This is love, that a man lay down his life for others" I pondered on the third part of the question, " In what sense is Jesus's sacrifice wasted on some people"? What came to me was, how salvation is a gift.." By faith are you saved, not by works, least any man boast" If we do not believe, by faith, that Jesus died for our sins, then that is a waste! Someone could give me a million dollars, place it in the bank for my use, but if I never take it out, & spend it, of what use is it to me? Its there, but I could still die in poverty. In this, I see that the sacrifice made by our Lord, could be a waste. .... Love you all!... :D

There are no words to express the Wonder of Him who laid His life on a cross to become the ultimate sacrifice to THE ENTIRE WORLD... from the day of His last earthly breath... to the day of His coming; His return. A calculative number; which would equal the stars and the sands of the beaches. Even I could not comprehend this number of people His blood could cover.

I began to ponder one question: In what sense would it have been a WASTE? I cannot conceive in my being it ever is a waste. Even ONE... would have been acceptible in the sight of God. Even ONE would have shown to us the Love to which God so deeply has for us. If but ONE were SAVED I believe He would have done this. For God sooooooo Loved the WORLD... generations and generations of that Enduring Love forever. Thank God more than we can count will be inside of Heavens Gates. John saw Multitudes while he stood before the throne... the vision tells me there are more than we know. Praise God for His blood covers soooooo many. SUNSHINE

The Precious Lamb of God removed the sins of the entire WORLD!!! They are removed to whosoever believes on Him and has confessed Him as Lord of their life.

It's sad that the greatest sacrifice ever shown the world in indeed wasted on some who don't believe, or maybe they "beleive" but not to the point of dedication to Him. Another way it is wasted is that God has given us all talents to be used for His glory. Those who have not accepted Christ as Lord and Savior are wasting those talents, in many cases using them for the "world".

Hello Everyone :)

From how large a group of people does God remove sins in Isaiah 52:13-53:12?

In what sense is this a universal sacrifice of salvation?

In Isaiah 53:8, the prophet Isaiah focuses on the sins of the Jewish nations. However it was understood that the servant, or the lamb of sacrifice, was yet to come. Who this sacrificial lamb was , is clear in John 1:29, when John the Baptist referred to Jesus as,

From how large a group of people does God remove sins in Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12? In what sense is this a universal sacrifice of salvation? In what sense is Jesus' sacrifice wasted on some people?

The sins of the world were put upon Jesus so God would remove the sins of ALL the people since Jesus and God made no distinction.

The sactifice might be wasted on some people if, after hearing about he gospel, they do not receive the grace for their sins and make Jesus the Lord of their life. I like God's approach, though, in that there was no pre-judgment beforehand so that only the number of people who would value the sacrifice would be the ones that were saved. Because Jesus took on ALL the sins of the world, from that point on, every person, up until the last split second of their life can repent, turn to Jesus, believe in the Resurrection and be saved from an eternity in hell. Jesus took on more than he needed to but he loved each of us so much that he did not quibble about whether or not he should take on all the sins. Everyone is welcome. Praise God!!!!

#2 Q1. From how large a group of people does God remove sins in Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12? In what sense is this a universal sacrifice of salvation? In what sense is Jesus' sacrifice wasted on some people?

This passage clearly speaks about Jesus

From how large a group of people does God remove sins in Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12? In what sense is this a universal sacrifice of salvation? In what sense is Jesus' sacrifice wasted on some people?

God removes sins from us ALL.

Those who have not known Him;

Those who have not heard Him or understood Him;

Those who have grown up around His teaching, yet have not followed;

Those who have followed Him and then faltered;

Those who have despised and rejected Him

Jesus was sacrificed for "the sins of the Nations". Since this includes every Nation on earth, He died for the entire world. I like to think this also extends to count for our ancestors, for us, and for our children's children. For the past and for the future. For sins that I have commited, and for sins that I hope not to commit in the future.

"for the sins of the Nations" - could this also mean sins that are not the result of a single person? Sins that are comitted as a result of the masses following a societal conscience or culture. Sins that are so much a part of our way of life that we no longer recognize them as sins, but as survival.

How is Jesus sacrifice wasted on some people? As with any gift, we have to accept it before we can use it. We have to accept Jesus as our saviour in order to be saved, in order to be cleansed of our sins. Yet many people do not recognize the fact that they have sinned. Given their pride, they may feel they are already good enough. Or they may feel that the sin in question ought not be a sin because of selfish needs. Jesus' sacrifice is wasted if the sins of these people are not brought to justice. Many others simply have not heard of Jesus and what he did for us. It is hard to accept a gift if you are not around to recieve it. Jesus' sacrifice is wasted on those who do not even know about his gift.

From how large a group of people does God remove sins in Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12? In what sense is this a universal sacrifice of salvation? In what sense is Jesus' sacrifice wasted on some people? Exposition

+ The sins of the people of the world will not be removed until the Savior comes; this will be some 740 years after this was written. Isaiah was a Messianic Prophet and in John 12:41 it is written that Isaiah "saw the glory of Christ, and spoke of him."

+ The prophecy about the Messiah and His sacrifice is universal when that day comes. Jesus the Messiah is only universal for those who repented and accepted Jesus before their death.

+ Sadly many hear of Jesus, but few accept Him and His sacrifice :(

Q1. From how large a group of people does God remove sins in Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12? In what sense is this a universal sacrifice of salvation? In what sense is Jesus' sacrifice wasted on some people? Exposition

God removes sin from many,>52:13-See, my servant will act wisely;he will be raised and lifted up and highly exalted.53:12 >Therefore I will give him a portion among the great,and he will devide the spoils with the strong,because he poured out his life unto death,and was (numbered with the transgressors).For he bore the sin(Of Many),and made intercession for the transgressors.This was a universal sacrifice because he bore the sins of the whole world.There are many people who know about Jesus and his sacrifice for them,but they dont believe it.To them its fiction in a book.So they reject him.There are people who just shut the door to the truth.People who turn their backs to the word of God.Just as in the days of Noah,the door will soon shut,you cant get in.

The Lord removed the sins of the whole world. Furthermore, He did not just remove the sins of the people who were alive at the time the text was written. Jesus' sacrifice was so complete that He took the sins of every single person who believed in Him and were willing to accept Him as their savior.

Unfortunately, like the parable of the sower and the seeds, there are some people who refuse to accept Jesus Christ as their savior. In fact, I know a group of people who turned their backs on worshipping the Lord and now are members of a group of satanists. Why did they do that? According to them, the power and abilities that they received since they worshipped Satan is more powerful than anything that they've experienced before. Plus the fact that the lack of guidelines and restrictions makes them feel like they're having lots of fun. It is on these groups of people that I think Jesus' sacrifice es being wasted. They have everything going for them, they don't even have to bring an animal everyday to a temple just to have their sins forgiven and yet they turn their backs on their savior. I feel pity for them but I cannot force them to worship the Lord if they don't want to. I guess the only thing we can do for these people as Christians is to pray for them and to show them and make them feel our love as Christians that comes from our Lord and savior, Jesus Christ.

I don't know how much sense this reply will make to anyone else but studying this familiar old piece of scripture over this weekend has been a real revelation to me. I know that the suffering servant was given for many nations, that he was sacrificed for our sins and that it was a once and for all act of willingness on His part. What has left me feeling quite shell shocked as I read and re-read the passage was a) that Jesus had been chosen as the one (God knew right from creation that this was what he had to do and B) that even if I myself could somehow be cleansed totally from sin, and faithfully followed on the faith trail, and even more so, even if I was willing and brave enough to allow myself to be sacrificed for my own sins, then even tht would not be good enough Why? because God had already chosen Jesus to be the one and there could be no substitute. This has left me absolutely reeling about the enormity of it - I now know with absolute certainty that there is no other way. It has to be Jesus - and I'm not bashing any other faith, but I know that there positively, absolutely, and completely is no other way to the Father except through the Son.

Sins were removed from an indefinate amout of people, having no fixed number, this is universal for it is without a fixed number it is a sacrifice for all. Is Jesus sacrifice wasted on some people, I would pray not, Yes, there are some who do not believe in Him, but, through this sacrifice a nonbeliever always has hope, He is patiently waiting for them. :D

:huh:

Spending some time reading this and being a fairly new Christian..I was like HUH...reading peoples answers for a little insight I was like HUH.. I think I just have to say that from what I am reading..as I understand it..in this passage the sins of many is the answer.

2. Universal sacrifice because in Isaiah53:6 it says We all, like sheep, have gone astray,

each of us has turned to his own way;

and the Lord has laid on him

the iniquity of us all. All of us..is pretty universal..

3. Oh I am sure most people will say it was not a wasted sacrifice in the least but from what the question states..why was it wasted on some people...well, I say because * he appauled some people * He was despised * rejected * afflicted * pierced * crushed * oppressed * and slaughtered......and it seems to me that it is a shame for anyone who knows about Jesus and not to take time to learn about him is wasting Jesus' sacrifice...God didn't waste Jesus as a sacrifice ..it's us "People" who waste Jesus' sacrifice..........some of us anyway....

I believe the group of people referred to here, is all of us; the scripture refers to, many nations, of us all, etc. I believe this was universal because it is available for all of us. It was wasted on some people because they refuse to accept it; we have to accept Jesus as Lord and Savior in order to receive the many of the blessings He has for us. Thank you Lord, Amen.

JESUS died upon that cross to save usallfrom our sins. So he savd many from their sins. People who wouldn't accept his forgivess is the reason it was wasted, if we do not give our hearts to Jesus and ask for forgiveness, then I feel we are wasting his precious gift that he has and willing to give us, if we will only accept his love and forgiveness.

JESUS died upon that cross to save us all from our sins. So he savd many from their sins. People who wouldn't accept his forgivess is the reason it was wasted, if we do not give our hearts to Jesus and ask for forgiveness, then I feel we are wasting his precious gift that he has and willing to give us, if we will only accept his love and forgiveness.

In Isaiah 52:13-52:12 God remove the sins of many.

Jesus came for the sins of the whole world. Jesus' scarifice is wasted on some because there are those that do not even believe that He is or that He is the Son of God that came that mankind might be saved. This doesn't seem fair and there are some that do not care enough to honor, praise and give their life to Him. HE GAVE HIS LIFE FOR US!

Jesus atoned for the sins of many people, as opposed to the animal sacrifices of the Israelites. God offered up Jesus as the one who would redeem mankind from the bondage of sin. In the passage we studied, the Word of God states that Jesus justified many because we have ALL strayed away from God's ways. Jesus took upon himself the sin and punishment reserved for us all. The Word of God says that Jesus is the high priest who will sprinkle and cleanse "many nations". That certainly sounds like universal salvation to me.

Jesus' saving grace is wasted on some people in the sense that they refuse to humble themselves and admit that they need a savior. They will not recognize the fact that we all fall short of God's glory and we desperately need Jesus, day in and day out, not just for our salvation but to be able to walk in righteousness daily.

May God help me to continue to desire to see the lost saved!

Q1. From how large a group of people does God remove sins in Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12? In what sense is this a universal sacrifice of salvation? In what sense is Jesus' sacrifice wasted on some people? Exposition

It is my understanding that Isa 52-53 refers to many nations and to all people. All means all and that's all all means. (Isa 53:6). The sacrifice is universal in that it was not for the Jews only as the temple sacrifices were, but it was also for the Gentiles and the whole world. Jesus' sacrifice was not wasted on anybody, to say that is akin to saying that the sacrifice wasn't perfect and that the blood of Jesus couldn't atone for some sin. Of course this is not the truth, the truth is that the sacrifice was perfect and that the blood of Jesus has atoned for all sin. Jesus' sacrifice is only wasted in our own human perspective in that the majority of the world doesn't see it and doesn't reach out to accept it.

[...] I sat this am. reading the new lesson, & studying the scriptures thinking " Jaunita, you're not articulate, how can you answer these questions?" [...]

Juanita,

Don't believe for an instant that you are not articulate and don't let that keep you from answering the questions the best that you know how. You have done just fine in what you have posted thus far. This is a lie from the enemy that you are believing. Moses had believed the same lie, but God still sent him to deliver over 1 million of His people out of the bondage of Egypt. Just rely on God's power through the Holy Spirit in your life to direct you in all that you do. Keep up the great work.

In Christ,

Greetings All!

It's been a very busy week and I just got to the study for the week. Here is my response to question one (not that anyone has been waiting anxiously to see what I have to say ;) )

a. Firstly, Isa_52:15 clearly says 'many nations'. This puts the 'action' outside of the scope of just Jews. Throughout the passages such non-specific words/phrases as men, land of the living, many, and their are used. At no point in this passage is His work limited or confined.

b. Just as with sacrifices in the sacrificial system discussed in last weeks lessons, the sacrifice requires the active participation of the one for whom the sacrifice is made. In this sense, universal means all those who participate in (actively accept) the sacrifice Jesus made.

c. Only in the sense that Scripture makes it clear that some will not accept the sacrifice. The amazing thing is that God (Jesus) knew from the beginning that there would be some who would not accept His offer, and He mad it us all anyway.

Dave

God removes sins from all. "He will sprinkle many nations." The universality is powerful in that the sacrificial Lamb of the OT , the Servant of the new,

"takes away the sin of the world." Our charge to keep is to spread the good news of the gospel. Do you know my Jesus? If we do not, how are others going to know? Their not knowing of redemption, salvation and resurrection will waste our Lord's sacrifice. lmc