JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Sense of Destiny

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rolleyes: The New Testament scripture that convinces me that Jesus saw His mission spelled out in Is. 53 is John 10:14-19 where He describes Himself as the good shepherd and confirms He will lay down His life for the sheep voluntarily as His Father had commanded as restitituon for our sins.

Jesus spoke of Himself as the Shepherd of the sheep and said that He

would give His life for the sheep. He spoke in Matthew 26 of His laying

down His life for the sheep--that the elements of the last supper, the bread

His body broken for many, and the wine, His blood shed for the redemption

of many for remission of sins. He also spoke of His resurrection and of

coming to them again. In so many instances, He taught them that He

would be killed, but not to be afraid--that He had overcome the world!

I have no doubt that Jesus knew exactly what was before Him--and

embraced it, that He might save His sheep--including me! Glory almighty!

Q2. Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53? If you aren't convinced, what stands in your way? Exposition

In Isaiah 53:11-12 paralle to Matt.20:28,in his greatness of serving,Jesus new he was to give his life.Also at the Lords Supper,Jesus spoke of his blood ,to be of the new covenant,which is shed (for many).Isaiah 53:11-12 Matt:26:28.

Also in Isaiah 53:(lamb led to the slaughter) John 1:29 "Behold ,The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.Did not John the baptist speak this out for all to hear.I believe Jesus new earlier,but never spoke of it till later.There were miracles Jesus was to do,also he was to pick his twelve deciples and also prepare the way for them and teaching them.There was a lot Jesus was to fullfill before his death on the cross.Dont you think he really new way ahead of his time?

Matthew 26:28:

For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

1 Corinthinans 15:3:

For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures

1 John 3:5:

But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin

Galatians 1:4:

who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father

and finally, 1 John 4:10:

This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins :)

"Isaiah 53: 4..Surely He has borne our griefs, & carried our sorrows, & pain, yet we considered Him stricken, smitten, & afflicted by God" "Matt. 8:16,17.."When evening came, they brought to Him many who were under the power of demons, & He drove out the spirits with a word & restored to health all who were sick"..."And thus He fulfilled what was spoken by the prophet, Isaiah..He, Himself took our weaknesses & infirmities & bore our diseases" I don't know when Jesus realized His mission...maybe He always knew! But I have no doubt, that by this time He knew! One of the mose powerful words, to me, where given by Jesus after returning from His time in the wilderness. After entering the Synagogue, & standing up to read from Isaiah 61.."The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because He has anointed me to preach the good news to the poor; He has sent me to announce release, to the captives, & recovery of sight to the blind, to send forth, as delivered those who are oppressed...To proclaim the accepted year of the Lord"....then He sat down! PRAISE THE LORD! ...Can you imagine the looks on their face's?!!!! And then He said.."TODAY, THIS SCRIPTURE HAS BEEN FULFILLED"!!! I'm sorry to just go on, but these words excite me! I would have loved to have been setting there, wouldn't you? :lol: I guess my answer, to todays question, is ALL! Every word, in the Bible, points to Jesus. love jaunita :rolleyes:

Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53? If you aren't convinced, what stands in your way?

I have to admit, I have a problem reading this portion of scripture without seeing Jesus' life throughout it. It is such a clear picture of Jesus, how he lived his life, and his mission. If I would pick one verse in the New Testament that I see as Jesus' understanding that this was speaking of His mission, it would be Matthew 20:28:

Matt 20:27-28

28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

(from New International Version)

I believe that this shows that Jesus saw his mission spelled out in Isaiah 53. I am convinced.

Q2. Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53? If you aren't convinced, what stands in your way?

The following four quotes from the New Testament convince me that Jesus knew it was he that would fulfill the prophecy in Isaiah.

• He was told by God!
    And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased." Mark 1:11 = Matthew 3:17

• He spoke of sacrificing himself for our sins.
    "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins." (Matthew 26:28 = Mark 14:24)

• He said that he would fulfill the prophecy.
    "It is written: 'And he was numbered with the transgressors'; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment." (Luke 22:37; Jesus quotes Is 53:12)

• The prophet John, among others, pointed him out as being the Messiah.
    "The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, 'Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!'" (John 1:29)
    "When he saw Jesus passing by, he said, 'Look, the Lamb of God!' " (John 1:36)

Isaiah 53-12 Therefore I will give him a portion among the great and he will divide the spoils with the strong, because he poured out his life unto death, and was numbered with the transgressors. For He bore the sin of many and made intercession for the transgressors. Mathew 26:28 This is th blood of my covenant, which is poured out for manym for the forgiveness of sins. These two verses plus many others thru out the Bible convinses me that Jesus took the punishement for all our sins and so that we can be forgiven for them.

There are so many pointers to show he knew exactly who he was and what he was to achieve. His introduction at the synagogue when he read from the scrolls finishing with Today this scripture is fulfilled; his teaching, parables and declaration I am the good shepherd; his asking of Peter at Caesarea Philippi Who do you say I am - the transfiguration on the mountain top; the events at the last supper; the torment in the garden of Gethsemane - so many pointers to the sacrificial lamb.

Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53?

Matthew 20:28 For even I, the Son of Man, came here not to be served but to serve others, and to give my life as a ransom for many.

Thank you Jesus, thank you for suffering for someone as worthless as me so I can spend eternity in your kingdom...You ROCK! amen

#2 Q2. Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53? If you aren't convinced, what stands in your way?

It may help us if we bear in mind the fact that Matthew

HELLO BROTHER AND SISTER IN CHRIST :)

Several new testament scriptures that convinces me that Jesus Himself saw His own mission and destiny.

Matthew 26:28---"For this is my blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sin.

Mark 9:12b--- How it is written concerning the Son of Man, that He must suffer many things and be treated with contemp.

Q2. Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53? If you aren't convinced, what stands in your way? Exposition

No convincing needed here. I fully believe that Jesus Christ was the fulfillment of Isa 53. Here are a few clearly linked NT verse references:

1. Matthew 8:17 - The healing of Peter's Mother-In-Law which is a clear reference back to Isaiah 53:4.

2. John 12:38 - Jesus Fortells His Death to his disciples at the last supper which is a clear reference back to Isaiah 53:1.

3. Romans 10:16 - Paul makes another clear reference back to Isaiah 53:1.

These are all clearly linked references, and the other verses that the others have produced here all point back to Isaiah 53. This is all scholarly and good, but the real proof for me comes in a verse by verse look at Isaiah 53:

v1 - John 12:38, Romans 10:16.

v3 - Luke 18:33, John 1:10-11

v4 - Matthew 8:17

v5 - 1 Peter 2:24-25

v7 - Jesus' trial, Matthew 26:63, Matthew 27:14

v9 - Jesus died with common thieves, but was laid in a rich man's tomb, Matthew 27:57-60, 1 Peter 2:22

Jesus Christ was the ultimate fulfillment of Isaiah 53.

I thank the Lord for the many faithful Bible students in this study. Your answers have been an inspiration to me. Several of you, Helen, photobug, Nelda, Kriss Ann, David Maher, Leo and Linda have identified key scriptures to answer the question. I can't figure that there would be one verse only. Several passages may apply. This week I am drawn to John 10:14-18. Have a blessed weekend. Love and prayers, lmc

:rolleyes: Since there is no other name, under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. That only leaves the possibility that anyone not yet "convinced" must yet, be lost. Therefore, I am convinced that Christ was not only convinced, He was convicted deep within. To me, just a few of the verses that confirm this are, Matt. 9:36, 11:29, 12:18, 16:21-23, 26:63, Luke 2:49, John 10:14, 10:25-30, & 10:34-38. Then there are all the Scriptures of the last few hours leading up to the crucifixion and beyond that to me are clearly fulfillments of scripture. :lol: Praise God its settled, I'm saved.

And here is one last thought. How about Mary's silence at the cross. What kind of Mother would hold her peace for a lie if it involved the death of her son.

Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53? If you aren't convinced, what stands in your way?

Some of you are such excellent Bible scholars, I was truly blessed by looking at all the scripture references you pointed out. :) How amazing that the Old Testament so clearly predicates such intimate details of Jesus' life, that is one of the best "proofs" we have that He as who He said He was.

The sheer number of New Testament parrallels helps to convince me, they are like a legal case where many isolated bits of evidence combine to present a strong case. I am also most convinced that Jesus saw Isaiah 53 as His destiny by the allusions to it He made from His own lips, such as Matt. 20:28, Mark 9:12, and Luke 22:37. Jesus also clearly told His disciples several times before hand that he must suffer and be killed (such as Mark 10:33-34) so I believe he knew far in advance what His fate must be. He had to be killed by sinners, just like the lamb that is sacrificed by the sinner, to atone for our sins.