JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Substitutionary Atonement

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<_< Our sins were taken into the body of Christ which became a substitute for our own sinful body. Just as God determined sin affected all the world because of the sin of one man; so salvation came into the whole world because of the sacrifice of one man's life willingly given for all. We receive Jesus' righteousness just as we received Adam's sin.

The servant acts as a substitute to bear our sins because he took our sins that we "should" have paid for ourselves into His own precious sinless body, spilling His own blood instead of ours. The substitute always "fills in" for another and this is what Jesus did for us, He took our place on calvary.

The servant bore our sins and gave his life as a ransom for them high upon that cross with those nail scared hands and thorn scared brow, he suffered and bled as a punishement for all our sins so that we might be forgiven for them and he rose again so that all we have to do is ask and it will be given(forgiveness for the atonement for our sins) Jesus gave his life for me and for all. :)

Jesus was a substitute for me because for each of the curses I have (sin, sickness etc.) he took those on for me. For everything I have ever done, ,he has paid the price. Not only did he accept these for me so that I did not have to pay the price, he went down into hell for me.

He took on the punishment I would have had so that I could be part of the family and enter and abide in his kingdom. Through one man, Adam, sin was introduced and through one man, Jesus, sin no longer had it's hold (we won!). God is a GOOD God!!!

I'll share with you a dream I had some years ago, when I had been a Christian just a few weeks, and was struggling with why Jesus should die for me. My dream was that I was awaiting trial in a courtroom - I knew that unlike a normal courtroom I would not be allowed to speak. I was totally alone, no-one to speak up for me, and I was terrified, trembling sweating . My name was called and I slowly rose to my feet and shuffled towards the steps leading up to the prisoners dock. As I reached the bottom step, the person I knew as Jesus took my hand and led me up the steps. He was so big. As I stood there , I saw the Judge then Jesus stood in front of me to shield me . The judge looked up, stared straight into the face of Jesus and said This man has already been tried and paid the penalty - the judgement is Not Guilty. Jesus swept me up in his arms and ran down the steps with me, he was so happy, and so was I and I awoke feeling overwhelmed by his love and knowing that he really had paid the price for me.

Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words.

While reading this question, I was reminded of the fact, that Jesus was both "Shepherd & Sheep" I think I understand what the Pastor is asking...How was the act of the cross, a substitute, for the sacrifice's offered in the past. I remember a study we did in my Sunday school class years ago on sheep, how they are so timid, so easily led....how even when the shepherds led them to water, they would not drink from a bubbling brook. In fact they would die first. The shepherd would have to "scoop" the water out, into a container of some sort first, before they would drink. Our precious Saviour became like one of these little sheep for you & I. "Like a lamb, being led to the slaughter, He opened not His mouth" He, the creator of all things, allowed Himself to be reviled, & hated, by those He came to lay down His life for...He allowed the sin's of all man-kind, to be transferred, unto Himself. I've heard preachers talk of how, when He hung upon the cross, that all the sin's, of every man, woman, & child, to ever live, pressed upon Him! I know how I feel, when the Holy Spirit convicts me of a sin I've commited.....Its horrible! The thought of Jesus, feeling my sin's...of a life time ( and yours!) is more than I can comprehend! What a wonderful Saviour! I've wondered just how this was done....Did He actually "see" you & I?.... These are my thoughts on this subject...I may have strayed from the topic, if so, forgive me. :rolleyes: love, jaunita

Q3. Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words. Exposition

I did the best that I could here in explaining in my own words"The substitutionary atonement".I thank Jesus Christ for what he did for us,"Amen".A Servant is a substitute of one who takes our place,in bearing the sins that we have committed.The Servant is with out sin or blemish.He will be punished in severity for what we have done wrong.He will do all of the suffering and taking beatings of pain for us,doing this on his own accord,agreeing and willing to take the punishment even until death.Punishment we so deserve.!!Through his suffering and pain we will be healed,and he will save many from their sins.

As I had to go back and read more it told us,"The Servant is exalted by God,and in reading this it meant by in being exalted by God,he will be resurected from the dead,lifted up to the highest place,and gave him a name above all names"Jesus Christ" our savior.!

The Servant took upon Himself the sins of the whole world and sacrificed Himself as an atonement for the sins that He took even though He was perfect and without blemish. In so doing, He became the intercessor of the people. His sacrifice was so great and so complete that it was no longer necessary for the people to offer any other sacrifice as an atonement for the sins that they have committed. As long as they believe in the fact that they have been saved through the Servant's sacrifice, their sins will be forgiven and this will continue until the end of time.

Q3. Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words.

[*]Our sins- that which causes ourselves and others great sorrow and pain- are lifted from us so that we may once again be with God and follow His righteous plan.

[*]When these sins are lifted from us, it is Christ that now carries the great sorrow and pain. He is burdened with our sin and guilt. In following God's command to do this, He serves us a great blessing. A blessing of life and hope.

[*]Instead of having to suffer a real death for our own sins, Christ takes the burden of those sins from us. With out Christ, we might die for our very first sin, with no hope for tomorrow. With Christ, there is hope. We are given a chance to learn from our mistakes. We are given life to live and learn. We are given life to become the best we can be, to follow in His footsteps, to return to God's plan for us and all mankind.

"God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." (2 Corinthians 5:21)

"For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls." (1 Peter 2:24-25)

The Servant acts as a substitute to bear our sins by taking our place. This is what a substitute does, take the place of another. We were the guilyt party not Jesus therefore we deserved to be punish. We have heard, "commit the crime, make the time." We did the crime but Jesus paid the price with His life. God gave His son that who believe in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. Jesus as a substitute to bear our sins committed no sin, but bore the sins of many.

To rebel (sin) against God and His will in my life leads to spiritual consequences of separation from Him (presently and eternal) which produces the suffering of spiritual grief and anguish (often disguised as physical and mental suffering in this life). Jesus Christ takes my (the world's) place in the suffering of the guilt and punishment; therefore mending my relationship with God and giving me the freedom to except the peace and love that Christ offers in a relationship with the Triune God, now and eternally.

#3. Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words.

I actually find it quite hard to put this into words without quantifying it from scripture. Here goes . . . Every action we take in life carries consequences. And yet it

Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins?

Jesus Christ said he was a servent of the Lord God who was sent to take away the sins of the world. I think Jesus was our substitute because there was no other way or any other sacrifice that could have ever made us perfect in Gods eyes other than the blood of his son. To be covered by Jesus and be seen as he is seen..How cool will that be?

Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words.

Our sins seperate us from God. Before Jesus, when someone sinned, during the act of the sacrifice, they would transfer their sin to the lamb and the lamb's blood would cleanse them from the sin, restoring their relationship to God. In the same way now, Jesus, who was without sin, carried the sins of the world, our sins included, to the cross. His sacrifice cleanses us and restores our relationship with God.

Q3. Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words. Exposition

There is no question that we are guilty, now comes the question of punishment. The punishment handed down for the crime of sin against God is a death sentance and eternal separation from Him in hell. The Servant acts as the substitute to bear our sins in that He accepted our death penalty on the cross in our place. He got the punishment that we rightfully deserve. Jesus the Servant obtained the keys of the kingdom through His death and resurrection and put them into the hands of Peter and the church. Matthew 16:19, Revelation 1:18.

Greetings All!

This, to me, is impossible to really understand. I long ago settled it in my own mind by deciding that this is just the way God has decided it will be. I have done word studies, topical studies, read essays, lessons, etc. and I still don't understand how it can be other than that 'with God all things are possible. Kind of a non-answer, but that's the best I can do.

Dave

I know in my mind and believe in my heart that the Christ, Our Lord and Savior, the God-man Servant of the NT, is the sacrificial Lamb of Isaiah 53.

His substitutionary Atonement can be summed up in an old verse we used to sing: "He paid a debt He did not owe, we owed a debt we could not pay,

He needed someone to wash our sins away,and now we sing a brand new song, Amazing Grace, Christ Jesus paid the debt that we could never pay."

In what sense does the Servant act as a suubstitute to bear our sins? This is both personal ( He would have gone to the cross for you) and universal : He died for all. love and prayers, lmc

:wub: Rom. 5:8, But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. :wub:

In the since that Christ laid down his own life, it was not taken, for me before I even knew Him. God chose Jesus for me, so that when I came before the altar of repentence for my sins God had already provided, received, and accepted the sacrifice for them. The debt I could not pay was paid for me and I have been crucified with Christ.

I was not there physically when the time was right and God sent His only Son to be the propitiation for all our sins, so Christ was substituted for me. Judgement was what I deserved, but forgiveness was what I needed. God provided that need by delivering my judgement on Christ. So by grace was I saved and not of myself, lest I could boast. Praise God for His love and His marvelous grace. : : :D I may not fully understand it but it sure makes a lost boy saved.