JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q35. Humility, Gentleness, Patience

Q35. (Ephesians 4:2) Why are patience and humility so important to preserving unity? What happens to the reputation of Jesus Christ when we have right doctrine along with a sense of arrogance towards those who disagree with us? How are we to be both "gentle" and to "fight the good fight of faith"?

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Ephesians 4:2) Why are patience and humility so important to preserving unity?

Without patience and humility we will be at odds with each other. To preserve unity we must have patience and humility, then when opposing issues arise we will deal with it and not allow the peace, among us, to be disturbed.

What happens to the reputation of Jesus Christ when we have right doctrine along with a sense of arrogance towards those who disagree with us?

When we have right doctrine and still have a sense of arrogance towards those who disagree with us we bring the Word of God to none effect in us. Having right doctrine and not living according to the commands of Christ invalidates what you profess and Jesus is dishonored.

How are we to be both "gentle" and to "fight the good fight of faith"?

From time to time we might find ourselves in a situation that, if we are not being led by the Holy Spirit, we'd lash out and attempt to destroy the person causing us pain. But we can remain "gentle" and "fight the good fight of faith," when we resist the emotion of anger and not allow it to overcome us, but rather use the Word of God to ward off the advances of the enemy and live peaceably with everybody.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tabatha

:)

Q2. (Ephesians 4:2) Why are patience and humility so important to preserving unity? What happens to the reputation of Jesus Christ when we have right doctrine along with a sense of arrogance towards those who disagree with us? How are we to be both "gentle" and to "fight the good fight of faith"?

Unity does not just happen; We have to work at it Often differences among people can lead to division, This should not happen in the church. In stead of dwelling on what divides us, we should remember that we are one body; one spirit; one hope, one Lord, one faith, that there is one God, We must learn to appreciate people who are different from us by being patient, gentle, with humility. We should learn to enjoy one another as Christ's Body. Complement one another. We shoud see how our differing gifts and viewpoints can help the church. Being jealous and competive only brings hurts and offenses. Always show forgiveness and try to work together to build God's Kingdom so the non believer would want what we have.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (Ephesians 4:2) Why are patience and humility so important to preserving unity? Because anything less brings division of unity, even with in one center core. We are to bare fruit that is worthy of our privilege to be called children of God. Galations 5: 22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Humility is the condition of being humble not proud or arrogant. God told Joshua these words: "Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper withersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:7 I really love this verse in the NLT: Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you. Do not deviate from them, turning either to the right or to the left. Then you will be successful in everything you do.

God bestows upon us all that we desire and all that we ask for. We only have to ask in His will. This is so humbling to me that He loves us so much and wants us to be so satisfied, He will bless us at every opportunity that He gets. He is an awesome Father.

What happens to the reputation of Jesus Christ when we have right doctrine along with a sense of arrogance towards those who disagree with us? How are we to be both "gentle" and to "fight the good fight of faith"?

Well we sure don't want to be arguing over scripture and or our interpretation of scripture. We really don't need man face's doctrine when we have the Word of God and the Holy Spirit to teach us what our Father wants us to know and to understand. If folks disagree with us, fine. It's salvation that they deny and that is not fine. God's desire is that none perish. If we come upon a road block we have tools to tear them down.

Matthew 17:20 He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Some manuscripts leave out verse 21 and for the life of me I can not figure this out unless satan doesn't want people to know that there is such great power in it. The verse is like this: 21 But this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting. So by scripture sometimes left out, we do not know that we must fast and pray to bring down the mountain through faith.

If we come across someone who does not want to listen we do not walk away and stay away. We walk away and pray and fast and then return and return and return until the battle is won. We know it will be but we can not give up.

Q2. (Ephesians 4:2) Why are patience and humility so important to preserving unity? What happens to the reputation of Jesus Christ when we have right doctrine along with a sense of arrogance towards those who disagree with us? How are we to be both "gentle" and to "fight the good fight of faith"?

You must have these qualities when dealing with people who are different than you. Unity will take some patience. Sometimes you may not agree with someone or maybe they do things a little differently than you, or they may be of some other culture, race, etc.. but you will need some patience when dealing with people who are unlike you. You can learn something from them. With patience comes humility. Being humbe can be difficult especially when you are used to having your way but this is a quality you must possess when dealing with others that are different from you in order to keep the unity. This is what Jesus Christ requires of us. He will exalt those that are humble not those that are prideful. When we deal with self righteous, it discredits our Lord. Because Jesus told us that we are to love God with all your heart, mind and soul and love your neighbor as yourself. Your neighbor is not just someone of your same culture or family etc. Your neigbhor is not limited to people in your neighborhood. Your neighbor emcompasses all types of people. God is not a respector or person. We are all one in the body of Christ. Jesus said with love and kindness have I drawn men. That is what we have to do as Christians in order to win the lost, that is fighting the good fight of faith.

Q2. (Ephesians 4:2) Why are patience and humility so important to preserving unity?

Love is not possible with out patience and humility.

Mt 22:38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Be like Jesus he love everyone and he showed his love by how he cared for the people. But he also had harsh words for the hard hearted sinners.

MT 23:33 You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?

Blood flows through our arteries and veins, collects oxygen and distributes it faithfully, bringing health to the body. But the minute some blood cells decide to dominate the others we have a cancer which brings increasing disease and eventually death. Jesus is the lifeblood of the church and submitted Himself to that role among us, giving us His life in the process. He served in this role faithfully, ministering to the whole body. He served even His disciples, washing their feet, and when blood had to be let He submitted to that also. He brought Life, overcoming death (cancer = pride, arrogance, domination). So must we operate in service, patience and humility, lest we bring disease to God's people and minister death instead of life.

Right doctrine will never replace love and service to others as a witness to our Lord. "By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, that you have love for one another". Love is our focus. If we don't have love we are just a big noise with no meaning. (!Cor13:1). Arrogance in any form misrepresents Jesus completely. If we misrepresent (lie about) a product in business we will be sued or fired. Misrepresenting Jesus is no lesser a crime. His Name is to be honoured in everything we do and say lest we be found to be misrepresenting Him to those whom He desires in His bride.

There is incredible power in gentleness. I have found that you can get away with all sorts of confrontation if you do it with gentleness and sensitivity. Gentleness wins confidence because it is unthreatening and seeks only good. Australia is building great relationships with Asian countries nearby because it sends its army in when there are great disasters to assist and bring medical resources. When they have done what they can they depart peacefully, having done only good things. This is mighty powerful diplomacy. It works at every level! It opens the way for conversation with those countries on other levels. We need to apply this diplomacy at every level of our lives, fromfamilies to neighbours, to cities, to countries. God is so honoured.

Fighting is done with truth, for the truth will set us free. Nothing else does. So we apply the truth in every situation, gently, in order that people will be able to let down their defences and receive it.

Why are patience and humility so important to preserving unity?

Without either it would be hard to be who God intends us to be. We we can be patient and walk in humility its easier to walk in love than when we don't have either one.

What happens to the reputation of Jesus Christ when we have right doctrine along with a sense of arrogance towards those who disagree with us?

We make him look bad when that happens. We need tow alk in love and let his love flow out into others.

We are to do everything out of our love for him. If we learn to love even correction is easier to take. :rolleyes:

Without patience and humility, we can find ourselves destroying what Christ died for. It is such a fine line between our docterine and our Christ, between what I believe and who I believe. We must all rely on Christ to be our sourse. Afterall, it is Him that we can have a relationship with...not our docterine. It is Christ who saves us, not what we believe. No matter how much I love my docterine, it will never love me back. Christ does love us. Through Christ, we will be humble and patient but in the flesh, we will be stubborn and demanding.

We need to be patient and humble before & with others in order to preserve unity.

When we are arrogant or prideful toward those who disagree with us we are not being a disciple of Jesus. He loved & respected those types of people & allowed God & the H.S. to change their lives.

We need to be gentle with others & love them. We fight the good fight as we seek to overcome our own "sin natures" and to grow to be more like Jesus Christ.

Without patience and humility there is anger and strife which cause discord and separation. As we are supposed to be Christlike in all that we are and do it is hypocritical when we are highminded, putting the Lord to open shame. To overcome we must be able to examine ourselves honestly and recognize faults in this area of our character. It doesn't happen overnight so we can learn patience and humility by working on self first and giving others to the Lord. A real test for sure.

Without patience tempers can fly off the handle and dis-unity will result. Without humility one will think they have the right to have everything their way, because it's the best!

Case in point: I have a member of the famiy who chews ice constantly. As a child growing up I was never allowed to make noise when I chewed...celery, apples, gum, and never ICE ! As an adult I have a very high intolerance of people who make noise eating/chewing. This member knows how this affects me and why, but insists on doing it anyhow. My impatience and prideful attitude has caused her to do this, I believe, because she can and because I have no right telling her she can't.

My solution now is to just remove myself from the situation as long as she has a glass of ice...in MY home!

This has NOT caused a volitile situation...but an unpleasent one...almost every time we're together!

Yes, patience and humility are very important in preserving the unity!

We should never change what we believe to be right, but we should never be arrogant in our belief. And we should never be so arrogant to think we can't learn something from someone if we just listen...listening opens the door for sharing...and possibly enlightening someone in their errors.

Christ didn't always speak with gentle words (money changers in the temple, "Oh you brood of vipers", etc) but He was quick to point out the proper way to behave and believe. We are Christ's ambassadors, we must act like Jesus did...we represent Him.

Patient and humility are so important to preserve unity in the Church because , no one is ever perfect here on earth , so we must accept and love other Christians inspite of their faults . When we see faults in fellow believers we should be patient and gentle . If there is someone whose actions or personality really annoys you , rather than dwelling on that persons weakness or looking for faults , Pray for him/her. Then do even more- Spend time together and see if you can learn to like him/her.

Patience and humility are so important to preserving unity because unity builds the church.Too often churches and believers are seperated because of minor diffrences in doctrine.Christians must agree to attain unity.

~ Love is the core of Pauls command.That command also came from Jesus.We must fight and take hold spiritually,we must have an active faith,obeying God with courage,(and doing what we know is right).We must be in control of ourself and our emotions.We must do everything out of love and be slow to anger.We obey God because we love Him and want to please Him.Build our church on love and give God all our glory Amen

Patience and humility are important to preserving unity because it develops a humble and a more gentle Christian. Not controlling, prideful, and arrogant, which are traits that are self serving allowing self-seeking power and glory for one who is not deserving of worship. Patience and humiltiy brings about a faithful unity.

When we're arrogant we project an aura of perfection.

We can be gentle as Christ and know that God is in control and if there is to be a change God will be the Changer for he is the only one who can change the hearts and minds of his creation, that is not our role. We are servants of Christ and as Christ has demonstrated we should also be servants to one another. Jesus loved people and he accepted them with his love and understanding a love that changed the people. Jesus didn't address the people with insults instead he embrassed them with love. This same love won him many hearts, the word of this love spread and many more hearts seeked the love and care that Jesus displayed.

They keep us at peace with those around us if we allow them to become fruit in our hearts. Without it we can't help but gripe and complain about the faults of those around us while over looking our own.

The reputation of Jesus is of no effect when we cause others to see the short comings that we display when we can't show love through patience and humility.

To be both gental and to fight the good fight of faith we need to first show our love for those around us by being gentle when bring any kind of correction to them. We need to first be willing to be corrected and show that we are trying to live the life that comes from being a chosen child of God. Jesus expect us to first be compassionate and forgiving before being critical of those brother and sisters that are also a part of His chosen family.

Without it a church can fall apart. When you get a group of people together there will always be egos to be rubbed or people wanting to get their 'point' across.

With patience and humilty grounded in love these wrinkles can be sometimes ironed out, i must point out the word sometimes though.

The reputation of Jesus would be affected because people in the world see the church as hypocrites, seeing people carry on in church, we must be showing the true nature of Christ which is displayed in these 4 aspects of life, patience, humility, gentleness and bearing one another in love.

We can be gentle and fight the good fight by being 'rooted and grounded in love' [Eph 3:17] This will be always be the best way in confrontation for either the other party or yourself.

We must be patient with one another because we all have anidea that we think is right, and by having patience and listening to one another we can have unity.

Patience and humility is very impotant to preserve unity. We can start by looking at self and realize that we all have faults. Even with our faults and imperfections we can have patience and humility. LOVE can make this possible. We should love each other especially in the household of faith. Jesus was humble and we should be also. We are here to win souls, not turn them away. Are you a peace maker or a peace breaker?

We must be patient with others and accept them where they are. God will bring about any changes needed in them (and in us). We are to be gentle with people, not judging or arrogant. At the same time, we must live our faith so others can see in us lives of peace and joy so they will have a desire to know Jesus too.

If we do not have patience and humility we are not imitating God's and Jesus' qualities. We put shame on Jesus Christ. We must always display love, kindness, humility and be self-sacrificing.

Why patience and humlity are important in preserving unity:

Pride and inpatience are present in the absence of humlity and patience. When this situation exist, quarells and fights will errupt. This in turn will lead to seperation and breaking of fellowships and relationships. Thus the unity so cherished and directed by the Lord will not be possible.

When we have the right doctrine but have a sense of arrogance, our right doctrines will not be accepted by whoever we want to share the doctrine with. The target listerner will be put off by our arrognce and will not listen to us. This will not enable us to do what we should be doing- sharing the right doctrine. This will hurt the Lord's reputation.

As God's own chosen ones, we are basically His ambassadors here on earth. He paved the way by His example when He came in the flesh of man, to lead us, His way. However, God is Holy, purified through and through Holy. He is extremely tenderhearted and gentle and patient and is tirelessly tempered with grace, mercy and kindness. He is gentle and will pardon the sin of anyone who asks of Him to do so. Judgment comes after repentance, not before. He freely forgives us and we absolutely must freely forgive others or we can not be forgiven. If we walk by His spirit, obeying His commandment and His statutes, and seek His Kingdom and His righteousness, we will glorify Him and the seat of judgment will not burn us up with anything other than His overwhelming passion and love.

The spirit of the Lord is to unify the brethren. We must be yielding and willing vessels of His direction for our mortal lives so that we can live in and where immortality dwells. Other wise our first line of defense will be wiped out and God will not be glorified. We must bring Glory to our King. There is to be no arguing or disagreement in the camp. We fight the good fight in faith, against the enemy.

We who are in the body of the Spirit of The Lord are not the enemy of God. We are part of an enduring and eternal flame . It really does humble us to even grasp that He too... is humble. He doesn

(Ephesians 4:2) Why are patience and humility so important to preserving unity? What happens to the reputation of Jesus Christ when we have right doctrine along with a sense of arrogance towards those who disagree with us? How are we to be both "gentle" and to "fight the good fight of faith"?

Without humbleness we are full of pride and arrogance which is a sin and cause us to fall. Jesus was humble all the way to the cross laying down his life in love, since we are made and are called to live in his image and character then we to must be willing to laying ourside ourselves. Humble in love to the will of the Father that His kingdom will be preserved in unity.

How we react and do when we claim to be a christian brings either glory or dishonor to Christ. Other blood will be required at our hands if we offend to the point they are turned away from Christ due to what we show others in our lives.

Gentle in spirit and our actions holding fast to what we have learnt to be the true.