JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Resurrecton of the Righteousness and Unrighteous

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (John 5:28-29; Acts 24:15) According to scripture, both the righteous and unrighteous will experience resurrection. What will be the result of resurrection for the righteous?

The righteous will spend eternity in th presence of the Lord. The trumpet will sound and the dead in Christ will rise first and those that are alive shall be cought up together with them in the clods to meet the Lord in the air.

Q2. (John 5:28-29; Acts 24:15) According to scripture, both the righteous and unrighteous will experience resurrection. What will be the result of resurrection for the righteous?

In the Prophet Hosea it says " I will ransom them from the power of the grave, I will redeem them from death. ( Hosea 13:14 ) Then again it says in Hosea 6; 2 After two days He will revive us; on the third day He will raise up , that we may live before Him, It is the first passage that seems to make the explicit statement that God will give His people a new bodily life on the other side of death.

Isaiah the Prophet speaks even more clearly of a bodily resurrection." But your dead will live; Their bodies will rise you who dwell in the dust, wake up and shout for joy. Your dew is like the dew of the morning; the earth will give birth to her dead." ( Isaiah 26:19 ) Also in Isaiah 53:11 " After the suffering of His soul, He will see the light of life and be satisfied.

This refers to Jesus who saw this promise which underlies His teachings to His disciples that " it is written" the Son of Man would be raised from the dead. These teachings are in the scriptures in Luke.

( Daniel 12: 1b-2 ) " There will come a time of distress such as has not happened from the beginning of nations until then. But at that time your people--- everyone whose name is found written in the book-- will be delivered. Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt."

There were essentially three beliefs about the resurrection in Jesus world. The Sadducees,The Pharisees, The Greeks and Romans. Jesus taught about the resurrection from the dead. He affirmed that;

" Those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned. " ( John 5 : 28-29 )

Jesus statement echoed Daniel's prophecy and paralled the Pharisees' teaching of "a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked>" ( Acts 24:15 ) . Jesus taught that this would be a time of reward for those who had followed the Lord: " You will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous" ( Luke 14:14 ).

For the righteous: Resurrected to eternal life... At this point the question becomes: Who are the righteous & what makes them righteous? What places them into this [righteous] category? That question may lead to earlier Bible studies.

1 Corinthians 15:42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. The body is sown in corruption, it is raised in incorruption.

43. It is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness, it is raised in power.

44. It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

Mortal puts on imortality.and that's just the start.

As we have always been in the presence of the Lord the only difference ther is if we remain, and that is the domain of the righteouss.

A lot of what we do and can be will depend on what riches we have built up in heaven.

It is written as you sow you shall reap also, thinking about the parable of those who build with hay and clay which can be consumed in the fire or silver and gold which is purified by fire.Our God is an all consuming fire and only those things that we have built into our lives that are eternal and spiritual will remain in the resurrection.

It is also written " do you not know that you will judge angels ?"

This verse also implies that the degree we develope here will determine our place or function in the resurrection.

According to Jesus, the righteous will be raised to live. One can only imagine what this second life will be like. Jesus sets in contrast the righeous and the unrighteous who are raised to be condemned. This seems to suggest two opposing situations: condemnation is the opposite of living. Right now in this present life we live with condemnation: from ourselves, other people or legal institutions. In this future life that Jesus spoke about there will be two groups: those who experience condemnation without life and those who experience life without condemnation. In this contrast the word "life" does not seem to mean what we think of as "life" (e.g. breathing, activity, etc.). As is often true, God's understanding is vastly different from ours.

The result of resurrection for the righteous will be that they will live eternally in full contact and communication with our Lord Jesus and God, His Father.

All will see the LORD twice in our lives, that is a given. First is at birth when the breath of life is given to us from God. The second is at death, when we stand before our maker. What we do between the two meetings determines the outcome of the second meeting. First evidence of this is in Genesis. Cain stood in judgment of Abel and took his life. But, even in death there was life for the blood of Abel cried out to God. Even in death there was still a communion with God.

God stood in judgment of Cain, found him guilty, and banned him from his presence. So even with life there was death. This leads me to believe that the resurrection of the righteous will result in an ever presence with God. And as Solomon pointed out "all" without the presence of God is nothing. (Vanity, vanity all is vanity).

What is righteousness? God has given us a list of civil laws (how we treat each other) to live by, and we have over time added to them and taken away from them. God has also given us his divine law (how we revere God) to live by. These laws are not for us to judge others; but to live by!!!!! Which carries more weight? Jesus pointed out that they carry the same weight, that they are two sides of the same coin, and you cannot have one without the other. Love God with all your mind, heart, and soul. And love your neighbor as you love yourself. For all the law and the prophecy hangs on this.

What will the role of the righteous be? Paul didn't even know what his role would be, and he had a three day talk with Christ. But he did know that it would be a great, everlasting relationship with his maker. What more can we long for?

Darrell

The righteous will come to life. Our bodies will rise. We will have a new life and new breathe. We will be restored and healed. We will have a new beginning, a new day and be in light and not darkness. In God's presence, we will live before Him, shouting for joy. There we will know Him fully with eternal pleasures forevermore. God has not abandoned us or destroyed us but delivered us.

According to Jesus, the righteous will be raised to live. One can only imagine what this second life will be like. Jesus sets in contrast the righeous and the unrighteous who are raised to be condemned. This seems to suggest two opposing situations: condemnation is the opposite of living. Right now in this present life we live with condemnation: from ourselves, other people or legal institutions. In this future life that Jesus spoke about there will be two groups: those who experience condemnation without life and those who experience life without condemnation. In this contrast the word "life" does not seem to mean what we think of as "life" (e.g. breathing, activity, etc.). As is often true, God's understanding is vastly different from ours.

I never thought of it like that. Here we live with condemnation. In heaven, we live without it. It makes me think that to have a bit of heaven on earth, we need to let go of this... to not condemn ourselves or others as much. Thank-you, A-M.

I really enjoyed this idea. To live without condemnation... a concept that I need to think about for a while. Thanks for the unique way of putting this. SandyMcG

What is righteousness? God has given us a list of civil laws (how we treat each other) to live by, and we have over time added to them and taken away from them. God has also given us his divine law (how we revere God) to live by. These laws are not for us to judge others; but to live by!!!!! Which carries more weight? Jesus pointed out that they carry the same weight, that they are two sides of the same coin, and you cannot have one without the other. Love God with all your mind, heart, and soul. And love your neighbor as you love yourself. For all the law and the prophecy hangs on this.

What will the role of the righteous be? Paul didn't even know what his role would be, and he had a three day talk with Christ. But he did know that it would be a great, everlasting relationship with his maker. What more can we long for?

Darrell

Darrell,

Thank you for this. Well said.

But, now I'm in the position that John Wesley wrestled with until the end of his life. I must ask myself, have I loved the Lord with all my heart, mind and soul? And, have I loved my neighbor as myself? Have I always prayed for my enemies? I could ask myself a great deal more questions of this ilk.... and, if I am honest with myself, I would have to answer "No, I haven't." If left there, I would surely be among the unrighteous, destined for Sheol. Oh, I may have done well in these from time to time but alas, I and like St. Paul, do the things that I don't want to do and don't do the things that I should....

But, thanks be to God, there is a way out of my trouble and that is the righteousness of Christ. It is the Christ's righteousness that is imputed to me, for I am justified - made right - by faith in Christ otherwise I'm stuck in the Law and in my sin and my failures. [Romans 5 & 8]

"Those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned." (John 5:28-29)

Paul says to that we will be with the Lord, when he said to live is Christ to die is gain. When we die those chosen as righteous will be raised to a newess of life to recieve their reward, crowns stored up for them for the works they have done in the body for the church and the serving of God and the gospel.

We get a new body, new homes and we'll be in the presence of God forever... That's just the coolest thing ever. I am disabled and the realization that one day I will have a body that is normal is WONDERFUL. I am looking forward to all of it. :lol:

I believe that the righteous will rise up to live again but not on the bodies that we have now, we will have glorified bodies. Christ is the only one who makes us right with God, some where the prophet Isaiah says" our own righteousness is as a stinking rag" so one has to believe in God the father, the Son and the Holyspirit and strive to live a life of obedience. Where God sends you, you go when He says no to that and yes to something else you take His word as a final authority then you are a rigteous man . I'm waiting for that time when we shall reign with Christ.

Zan

The Resurrection of the righteous will be that they will live eternaly with God. Their bodies will never die again.

Resurrection for the righteous means Life in ALL its fulness. A new glorified body (i dreamt of heaven once and there I could sing so beautifully - I can hardly wait) Resurrection - Better than we can imagine with wonderful promises fulfilled. To see the Lord face to face, no more tears, no more pain, no death or mourning, no shame or condemnation. The right to the tree of life!!!!! and permission to enter through the gates into the city (of God). To join with the angels in praise and worship of our precious Lord and Saviour. To receive rewards (what more culd we want?). to live with God. To enjoy the banquet He will provide. No hunger or thirst. Perpetual perfect light. to be with the Lord for ever. What an encouragement. God bless you. xxx

Scripture especially John 5.28-29 and Acts 24.15 indicated that both the righteous and unrighteous will experience the resurrection.

The righteous will rise to receive commendation and reward for righteousness while the unrighteousness will rise to condemnation.