JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. I Am the Resurrection and the Life

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus is already my life. Everytime I draw breath, everytime I set His example, everytime I come to the Communion Table; I am participating in a foretaste of my resurrection joy. I think Jesus will open my heart, mind, soul, and strength to a greater experience of that new life. I will be "like a tree planted by the water" and God (Father, Son, Spirit) will be the water... forever and ever, Amen

Q3. (John 11:23-25) What do you think Jesus meant when he said, "I am the resurrection and the life"? What role will Jesus play in the resurrection of the dead?

Jesus was the firstfruit of them that slept. In Christ all shall be made alive. If He had not risen we would not have the hope of a resurrection. It is in Him we live, move and have our being. It is all in Him, our life, death, resurrection.

The Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout , with the voice of the archangel and with the trump of God.

That question should not be hard to answer but I have been sitting here trying to figure out how to answer it and here it is. I believe that when I asked the Lord to save me I died and then rose again a child of God. I also believe when the time comes he will call our dead as he did lazurus. I believe that when he said he is the resurection he says you can not live your earthly life or eternal life without him in your life.

Q3. (John 11:23-25) What do you think Jesus meant when he said, "I am the resurrection and the life"? What role will Jesus play in the resurrection of the dead?

Maybe Jesus was touching on one of those perspective shifts that God so often calls us to see. "Life" to God doesn't mean breathing and doing and such. "Death" to God doesn't mean a cessation of activitiy. This is evident in the understanding that those who have died (ceased to breathe) are not beyond God's knowledge. They did not cease to exist and God knows and understands their continued existence. So, to God, they still live. They are only "dead" to us. Why? Because we no longer have them with us. Therefore, to truly "live" means to be in the presence of God. That's why Jesus could say, "I am the resurrection and the life." Those who were/are in Jesus presence are truly alive. Those who do not share in Jesus' presence were/are not.

What role will Jesus play in the resurrection of the dead? He will himself raise us up. He alone has the power to do that. He will determine who is raised to life and who is raised to condemnation. He alone has the authority to do that.

In the beguinning was the word and the word was with God and was God.

all of creation is held together by the power of his word.

Elijah raised the dead by the annointed power the Holy Spirit

Christ also means the annointed

Christos Phonetic: khris-tos'

Text: from Strongs exhaustive concordance 5548; anointed, i.e. the Messiah, an epithet of Jesus: --Christ.

He who commands the stars is able to command life also, because he is the life.

My thoughts regarding the glorified body we will be resurrected into has been shaped by the fact that on the road to Damascus Jesus was not recognised by his disciples. Yet Thomas was able to put his hands into the places where Jesus was wounded.

Mark 16

12. After that, He appeared in another form to two of them as they walked and went into the country.

13. And they went and told it to the rest, but they did not believe them either.

14. Afterward He appeared to the eleven as they sat at the table; and He rebuked their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they did not believe those who had seen Him after He had risen.

Jesus being the 1st fruit means that we to will be like him,in fact it is written that when he appears we will be like him.

Flesh and blood cannot inheirit the kingdom of God so the glorified body although may appear similar cannot be the same as the body we walk on earth in. It will not die or get sick ,it will not be corrupted.

In (John 5:25 ) " I tell you the truth, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live." In saying that the dead will hear His voice, Jesus was talking about the spiritually dead who hear, understand and accepted Him. Those who accept Jesus, The Word, will have eternal life. Jesus was also talking about the physically dead. He raised several dead people while He was on earth, and at His second coming all the "dead in Christ" will rise to meet Him. ( 1 Thessalonians 4:16 ).

God is the source and Creator of life, for there is no life apart from God, here or hereafter. The life in us is a gift from Him ( Psalm 36:9 ). Because Jesus is eternally existent with God, the Creator, He too is "the life" through whom we may live eternally. All power and authority are given to Him as the Son of God.

( 1 John 5 : 11 )And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.

Who ever believes in God's Son has eternal life, He is all you need. You don't need to wait for eternal life, because it begins the moment you believe. You don't need to work for it, because it is already yours. You don't need to worry about it, because you have been given eternal life by God Himself-- and it is guaranteed. Praise God for His Son Jesus who through Him is life eternal.

My daughter (a single mom working her way through school) works at a hospital in the emergency room. When she came to pick up my grandson she said that the government needs to do something about insurance for all.

A woman had fallen, receiving head injuries, and because of the lack of insurance there was no doctor willing to provide care for her. My daughter was upset as much about the financial burden being placed on the hospital as the lack of care provided for the patient. So I asked her what she would do if all of her living expenses were paid. What would you do if a house, food, clothing, and your education was all taken care of? My daughter said that she would, after her son was older, go and help others in need, providing medical care for them free of charge. I told her that that opportunity had been provided to many last night and all turned it down. Why?

When the cost of life's struggle is met people will either want more and more or they will contribute to others.

There is a cost for medical care just as there is a cost for sin. Without the price being paid, life is at best in doubt. What would you do if the price of sin had been paid? Continue to run up the debt or feeling the burden being lifted, begin to live a life acceptable to God? That choice was easy for me to make. I had lived under the burden of guilt and judgment from others for the first 36 years of my life (being raised in an alcoholic family). I started going to church in search of the God that so many talked about and seldom showing, I found him one day while sitting quietly in church. He said the thing that keeps you from having a relationship with me and life is the guilt you are feeling. You see I had thought God was only a god of the righteous. I didn't know that Jesus could lift the burden of guilt allowing me to live a life acceptable to Him, thus giving life!!!

You see I don't have to worry about a house, food, clothing and anything else. (John 14:1-3) 1 Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. (niv)

Darrell

My daughter (a single mom working her way through school) works at a hospital in the emergency room. When she came to pick up my grandson she said that the government needs to do something about insurance for all.

A woman had fallen, receiving head injuries, and because of the lack of insurance there was no doctor willing to provide care for her. My daughter was upset as much about the financial burden being placed on the hospital as the lack of care provided for the patient. So I asked her what she would do if all of her living expenses were paid. What would you do if a house, food, clothing, and your education was all taken care of? My daughter said that she would, after her son was older, go and help others in need, providing medical care for them free of charge. I told her that that opportunity had been provided to many last night and all turned it down. Why?

When the cost of life's struggle is met people will either want more and more or they will contribute to others.

There is a cost for medical care just as there is a cost for sin. Without the price being paid, life is at best in doubt. What would you do if the price of sin had been paid? Continue to run up the debt or feeling the burden being lifted, begin to live a life acceptable to God? That choice was easy for me to make. I had lived under the burden of guilt and judgment from others for the first 36 years of my life (being raised in an alcoholic family). I started going to church in search of the God that so many talked about and seldom showing, I found him one day while sitting quietly in church. He said the thing that keeps you from having a relationship with me and life is the guilt you are feeling. You see I had thought God was only a god of the righteous. I didn't know that Jesus could lift the burden of guilt allowing me to live a life acceptable to Him, thus giving life!!!

You see I don't have to worry about a house, food, clothing and anything else. (John 14:1-3) 1 Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. (niv)

Darrell

Darrell

He is the agent of our resurrection. When we look, listen and believe in Him we no longer have to carry our heavy burden of guilt and we have new life, both now and in eternity. He does not want to lose anyone but desires that we all come to Him, to eat his flesh and drink his blood. In so doing, He gives us Himself.

That He alone over came death to rise again and that anyone who believes in Him He will raise again. He will come as a thief in the night and the earth will give up her dead that believed in Him and He will give them new life. He is the beginning and end and without HIm there is nothing. We must look to Him if we want to live again with Him for He is the only way to the Father.His role in the resurrection is that He is the beginning of the one's that have eternal life He overcame death so that we could be with Him in heaven giving praise and glory to the Father and creator of our souls.

Ralph asks two thought provoking questions above...

The statement "I am" by Jesus reverberates throughout history. With those words, Jesus identifies himself as the great "I am" the one who spoke to Moses in Exodus 3 when he said "I am who I am... I am has sent me to you." "I am" created all that there was, and is, and will be. "I am" was there at the foundation of the universe and brought life forth from darkness and will continue to bring forth life... even after death... in the resurrection to come.

Jesus, the Christ, is the one who raised the dead when he walked in human form on this earth, and promises that he will raise the dead at the last day. "[E]very one who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life." [John 6] Thanks be to God.

When Jesus said I am the reaurection what he was aying is that he does not have the power of resurection he is it. Jesus defeated death and through his death and resurection we have life. When we accept his death and resurection as a real thing into our lives then we as children of God shall never die. That does not mean we will not get old and our bodies here on earth will live forever. It means that just as Jesus resurected he will come again and resurect us.

Jesus has the Power over dead and Life, because He is the creator of Life.

The Role he will play on the resurrection, is all the dead will hear His voice and rise up.

It gives me great confidence to know that Jesus is 'THE' resurrection. I will follow Him on this earth until I am with Him in the resurected state. My body will be like His, my thoughts will be like His, my goals will be as His. I will sing of the glory of the Lord and my Savior. I believe I will have a work assignment that will fit my abilities that will bring a satisfaction I was never able to atain on this earth in my sinful state. I believe I will be united with friends and family that have gone before me and will meet many others with whom I will have instant bond of fellowship. I believe I will meet the patriarchs of the Boible and we will rejoice together. WHAT A DAY THAT WILL BE!

jhm

Jesus meant that He is the way, truth, and the life, no one can come to the Father except through Him.

That question should not be hard to answer but I have been sitting here trying to figure out how to answer it and here it is. I believe that when I asked the Lord to save me I died and then rose again a child of God. I also believe when the time comes he will call our dead as he did lazurus. I believe that when he said he is the resurection he says you can not live your earthly life or eternal life without him in your life.

This is a very good response. A very matter of fact, simple to understand statement. I have never viewed the point of taking the Lord as our savior, as dying and rising once again as a child of God.

Jesus is our personal agent to our resurrection. He is totally involved in the resurrection of the dead. He, Himself will raise us up out of our graves and deliver us to Eternal Life.

I believe Jesus referred to himself as the resurrection--the one who holds our lives in His Hands and only through Him can we gain admittance into heaven--and the life--He is our life--He gives us our lives today (creator) and gives us eternal life (savior).

The role Jesus plays is to call up everyone from the grave, judging them all, giving eternal life to those who believe & trust in Him alone.

"I am the resurrection and the life...." John 5:25

According to my bible dictionary, resurrection is "a return to life subsequent to death". Jesus does more than just allow or cause life after death, He IS life, and He IS life after death. Death becomes impossible with Him. It cannot overcome Him, as He proved after the crucifixion. He is extending that eternal life to all of us who believe in Him. Even though we will die at the end of an earthly life, we are resurrected to an eternal life afterwards and it is Jesus who makes this possible.

Jesus is the agent of resurrection. He hold the keys of life. He himself will raise us up in the last day. "And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.... Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day." (John 6:39-40, 54)

Jesus has the power to raise the righteous who die in the lord.