JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) Jesus death purchased us for God's purpose and to be used according toHi plans. When we become a Christian the Holy Spirit comes to dwell in us and our bodies belong to God. Because we belong to God we try not to violate His laws but strive to live as He directs us. Everything we do should show the world we belong to God and called according to His purpose.

Q2. How should we disciples apply the principles: "You are not your own, you were bought with a price"? How should this affect our living?  

+ I must remember that God's Holy Spirit lives within me. God bought me with the very highest price & I must honor the Lord with my body. To keep it from sin. Yet as Paul cried out he could not conquer sin in his body. The habit of sin is with us, this is not an excuse but a warning that we must be ever vigilant. :rolleyes:

We as Christians like the slaves have been bought, by Jesus when He died on the cross so that we might be free from sin, which makes us a slave to those sins and we have to realize that once we give our hearts to Him who saved s us from these sins also takes us out of slavery to them. When we sin we worry about them all the time which makes us slaves to these sins, it seems to me like our sins we have committed are like chains tied around us and only Jesus can loosen them for us and if we ask, he answers in his time, but all we have to do is ask and believe in Him. We go to work everyday and if you are going to be a workaholic and work everyday and not take time to care for you or your family, you could pay the price of having a heart attack, God gave us the 7th day for rest. I feel more rested when I am sitting in church with Our heavenly Father Listening to the Bible being explained and at times its like I can see the Lord standing by the Pastor telling him what to say. It gives me a very warm feeling knowing that he paid the price for me and my family so that we can live our lives for him and be Happy. :D

How should we disciples apply the principles: "You are not your own, you were bought with a price"? How should this affect our living? Just as a "natural" slave didn't belong to himself but to the one, whom had paid the price for him, so do we, as disciple's of Christ, belong to Him. We are slaves to whatever or whomever we serve! While still in sin, we serve sin, thus we were slaves to sin. .......Any body out there ever heard the old song "You're gonna serve somebody"? A old Bob Dylan song, from back in the 80's. A true word, if I ever heard one! :unsure: We can become in-slaved to many things,,,,drugs, drinking, any number of things. When we accept Jesus, as saviour, & believe, that what He did on the cross, broke that curss, & paid the price for our freedom, we are no longer a "servent to sin" but a servent to Christ! :D .....An after thought; I do believe we can allow ourselves to become in-slaved again, after accepting Jesus as our Lord. If we allow anything else, to sit upon the throne, of our hearts, other than the Lord, we can fall back into "bondage" to sin. "Been there, done that"! I dare to say, we all have at times. ;) But I am so very glad, Jesus never gives up on us! Thank you Lord, for second (& even third) chance's!!! :lol:

There are people today, especially the youth, who think and act as if they own the world. Fueled by the influences of different cultures and practices around the world that is seen in different forms of media, including the internet, they are given the idea that they are, in all aspects, in control of everything that happens in their lives. This way of thinking is very popular and commonplace because it counters the human instinct of our fear of the unknown.

Another thing that I noticed with the wanton and irresponsible access and use of the media of different cultures, practices, and traditions around the world is the fact that, as Christians, our own values, beliefs, and traditions are in great danger of being corrupted. Some of the more popular beliefs that threaten to corrupt us are the concept of reincarnation and past lives which lessens the gravity of a person's mistakes because they have an unlimited chance of redeeming themselves, and the concept of spirit quests and contacting the spirits of the dead because if we led a life of crime and end up as bad spirits, we have a chance to be redeemed and led into the light by the people who have the means to contact us.

The problem that I see with these beliefs and practices is the fact that we lose our responsibility and accountability of our actions with regards to the fact that we are, as Christians, slaves of the Lord. Maybe it's because of our rebellious nature, maybe it's because of our tendency to worship idols and other gods during the times when we're not in trouble. Whatever the reason is, I do know of Chrisitans whose beliefs have already been corrupted by practices and beliefs that stemmed from other cultures and/or religions.

We have to keep in mind that we are slaves of the Lord. He bought us out of our slavery to sin and to satan. He paid for us with the blood and the life of Jesus. As such, we should allow the Lord to take control of our lives. In the same way that we did not allow human slaves to make decisions and actions aside from those that are within their rights as slaves, we too, as slaves of the Lord, should not go past our rights.

Q2. How should we disciples apply the principles: "You are not your own, you were bought with a price"? How should this affect our living? Exposition

You are not your own,you were bought with a price,"The precious blood of Jesus Christ".This should effect our living:we should be willing to do what ever God asks of us.The Holy Spirit lives in us,so our bodies are the temple that the Holy Spirit lives in.We should not indulge in any sin.If we do sin we need to be quick to repent,asking forgiveness.Study and read our bibles.Get the word of God in us.We should be Christ like,walking in His ways,doing good for others.The Holy Spirit will teach us and help us to walk the straight and narrow way,trusting Jesus and giving God our best because Jesus gave his life for us.

Q2. How should we disciples apply the principles: "You are not your own, you were bought with a price"? How should this affect our living?

:wub:I am very grateful that Jesus saved me from the slavery of my sins. I praise God for loving me so much that He caused His own son to suffer in my place. Since He loves me so much, my only appropriate reaction is to listen and hear His teachings; to follow His ways; and in doing so, to live for Him. To live for Him is to live a life full of great blessing. To live for Him is to live a life full of love, joy, and peace. To live for Him is to live a full life. Since He loves me so much, I belong to Him like a daughter belongs to her parents; I belong to Him like a wife belongs to her husband. I serve Him with love and care, not as I served a sinful world grudgingly and with a tired heart. Although sin may sometimes seem like the easy way out of a given problem, I am motivated and expected to seek God's way. I am not free to sin, but I am finally LIVING.

:wub: This means that even when life seems so hard, depressing, painful... I will look to God for answers. When my sins and the sins of the world disrupt my walk with Jesus, I have only to ask for help. Because He loves me so much, I was able to overcome suicide, death, rape, ridicule, abuse, shame, hate, feelings of worthlessness, and my teenage years. I Live because He LIVES!!!

Greetings All,

This is a very important point to grasp. Despite old hymns, sermons, and speeches, we were not set free when Jesus paid the price for our redemption, we were bought and now belong to God.

Prior to our redemption we were owned by sin (not satan); this is a rather etherial concept and much harder to grasp than, say, being owned by a person. We are now OWNED (lock, stock, and barrel as they say), by God.

Despite the repugnance with which we see the very idea of one human being owned by another human, and despite the diminishing sanctity of personal property, when one owns something, one has the right to do with it as one pleases. And the 'thing' which is owned has absolutely no right to do anything other than those things expressly allowed by it's owner.

Thankfully, we are not owned by a human (except in the sense that Jesus is a man), we are owned by God. And thankfully, our owner does give us a great deal of freedom. But that freedom is not absolute and does have it's limits.

Our lives should in every way acknowledge Him to whom we belong, doing only those things which please Him, and refraining from anything which would grieve Him.

Dave

#3 Q2. How should we disciples apply the principles: "You are not your own, you were bought with a price"? How should this affect our living?

The words of the hymn

Although we try very hard to live the Christian life, it is not always easy and we are quite liable to slip back into old habits that could once again enslave us. We need to stay very close to God and be in contact with Him constantly so that nothing can drag us down - after all, who would want to hurt Jesus again by falling away from the path - the price he paid was horrendous!! We must be thankful every moment of our lives.

How should we disciples apply the principles: "You are not your own, you were bought with a price"? How should this affect our living?

God bought me with the price of his only son. I think this should deeply effect our living. To think that this perfect, loving being was treated with horror and tortured and eventually killed, so that I and others would have eternal life with God shows just how much of a sacrifice he made to own us. Slavery or servitute to the Lord is done out of love and choice. He gives us that choice. It should make us want to go out and tell the world what they are missing if they haven't got a personal relationship with Christ.

God did all of this for me..the least I could do is live a life thanking him and loving him......

Q2. How should we disciples apply the principles: "You are not your own, you were bought with a price"? How should this affect our living? Exposition

When we were saved, we transfered our citizenship from the kingdom of darkness to the kingdom of light. We were bought with a price which was the blood of Jesus Christ who is God's own son. The principles we should apply as Christians are that we now belong to God who paid our ransom price with His precious Son. We need to trust and act in obedience to our new master and no longer pay any attention to the old master because he has no control over us now. This should affect our living in the most dramatic of ways, because God is essentially taking us through the ultimate lifestyle change. We are to be dead to sin and alive in Christ (Romans 6).

"You are not your own, you were bought with a Price?"

We can apply this principle to our daily life by have the mind set that we are own by God and our walk and talk should reflect that of Jesus. We are no longer the same, we are new creature. Our light should shine so other can see our good works.

As Christians we have been purchased by the blood of Christ, so God now owns us.

Revelation 5:9

' You are worthy to take the scoll and open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased men for God from every tribe and language and people and nation.

We disciples should apply the principles: "You are not your own; you were bought with a price," by our recognizing and our testifying that God owns us;

He made us; He has a beautiful plan for us and has redeemed us from our "empty way of life." Our purchase ransom was the sacrifice of God's only Begotten Son on the cross of Calvary. Knowing and believing this two- part principle should effect everything we think, do, and speak and live our daily lives. lmc

:rolleyes: 'You are not your own, you were bought with a price'. This principle should be applied by us, the disciples, by honoring God with our bodies. Paul said in I Cor. 6:18: 'Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body.

It is God's will first and foremost that needs to be obeyed in our lives, since now God owns us - let Him be our Master and let us not again become slaves of men and of our own lustful desires.

How should we disciples apply the principles: "You are not your own, you were bought with a price"? How should this affect our living?

We should realize that our Lord is not simply a wise teacher that we have chosen to learn from and follow, He is our owner, our master, our Lord. We owe all of our obedience to Him, since we are not our own anything wrong that we do is a direct affront against Him. Our living should be radically affected by this, every moment of every day we should be striving to please Him.

Jesus bought us with a great price. We belong to Him and should obey Him and lovingly serve Him. We should always strive to bring Honor to His name.

:lol:

I loved this question! So timely.

I've been saved since I was a child but am just now beginning to know Jesus as Friend, Kinsman Redeemer, and the Lover of my very soul.

For this truth (i.e., Jesus paid a very high price to buy me) to rightly affect my living, it first needs to settle in my heart and mind. Lord, help me to understand the price you paid for me. Help me to see that your desire for my companionship forever was greater than any amount of physical/emotional/spiritual/mental pain possible.

I need to be consumed with the knowledge of His love for me first. Otherwise, action is just lukewarm lip service, not the loving response God desires.

Then, when my heart is right and my head is on straight ;) my acts of service to God (obeying His Word, spending time listening/praying to Him, loving people, taking care of what He's given me stewardship over, honoring Him with my resources and words, running to Him first when I fall) will be true -- from the heart. I am so thankful that God desires true worship -- "truth in the inward parts" -- that when I say "yes" to Him, He wants that yes to be a yes inside and out. No more faking it to make it.

'laughing' Well...thanks for letting me share this stream of consciousness! Blessings and love in Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

:P

We should apply these principles to everything we do in life. We are not our own anymore, but owned by God and He should be consulted in every aspect of our lives.

This would affect our living by helping us to be better people and to adopt the charasteristics of Christ. We would see (as well as others) that we are changing .. our tastes are changing .. our priorities are changing .. our outlook on life is changing .. our attitudes are changing. Change is what lets us know we are evolving Christians.