JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Idea of "Son"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Hebrews 1:2) In what way do you think the author of Hebrews is using the word "Son"? As a metaphor? As a biological relationship? How would a Son's words have more weight than a prophet's?

I believe that the word "son" is used in the "exact representation of". Jesus said "if you have seen me, you have seen the Father". Many times Jesus (in the bible) shows that he is God.

As the word "firstborn" is used..meaning first in rank not born before anyone else.

The essence of the Christian relevation is that God is best seen in His Son, even though the human analogy of father/son is imperfect because no human father is completely reflected in his son. But he the author is using this analogy of Father/Son to put divine truth into human language.

The writer of Hebrews is implying that the finest of prophets cannot stand comparison with a Son as a means of revelation. Jesus perfectly shows all that is knowable about the Father. If men cannot learn about God from the Son, no amount of prophetic voices or actions would convince them.

Q1. (Hebrews 1:2) In what way do you think the author of Hebrews is using the word "Son"? As a metaphor? As a biological relationship? How would a Son's words have more weight than a prophet's?

Since the word is God inspired, it is better to ask, "In what way do you think God is using the word Son?" If we look at it this way then, when God says this is my Son, we must take it as literal, as a biological relationship. There is just no other way to take it unless the word is not from God, but from man.

This son's words have more weight than a prophet's because of John 1:1 - 4 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of men." and Revelation 22:20 "He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming soon." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus."(NIV) The Son was, is and will be, just as the Father is the Alpha and the Omega. There is no better authority than that.

Darrell

I think the Son is the exact representation of the Father. His very own. He appointed him heir over all things.

God made the world through him.

The Son's words have more weight than a prophet's words - He made the world with His words. God trusts His Son completely. He gave Him everything.

The use of the word "Son" is no metaphor - it describes a real (not poetic licence) relationship. Jesus was actually, physically sired by the Holy Spirit of God.

It is a biological relationship in some sense. It demonstrates more something like the relationship between a king and His first-born son, the Crown Prince and heir to the throne.

A king might send ambassadors (cf prophets) to other countries, and they can develop the relationship between the two nations to some extent. But, really, the best they can do is to prepare for the time when the kings of the two countries meet together. John the Baptist did this.

Sheba could have sent ambassadors to Solomon's court, but the real event was when Sheba went herself and Solomon could meet with her. When Jesus came, it was like Sheba at Solomon's court - romance in the air - looking for His bride. The Son has authority that an ambassador can never have. Even so, the ambassador can have authority, as when Abraham presented his servant with a very special trust (hand under thigh time) to go select a bride for Isaac. Nevertheless, the central issue was the son in that case too.

The King has all the authority (otherwise he wouldn't be king!) which will, one day, be passed on to his son and heir. The Son has already royal status! Therefore all his (the king's) efforts focus on his son. It would be normal to build his whole empire around his Son. Thle Son of God is therefore the focus for us

The author here is with out question understanding and knowing the fullness of the relationship between the Heavenly Father and His Son. His understands that in the Jewish understanding of things that the first Son is to receive the Blessing of His father and the fullness of this inheritance is to carry on to the rest of the family.

This first born has ruler ship over all the Father's inheritance and that the Father has raised this Son up with understanding that this inheritance must carry on to all future generations and that the accomplishments and wealth with in the family is for the care and support of the family and that every desire the Father has for this family must be fore filled and that the integrity and character of this Son represents the image and the shadow of who the Father is and has been to all who knew or knows Him. All that stay under this household will benefit from the Blessing or blessings. One thing this Son is also taught is that because you have the control over all my household ( the Father) you must at all cost keep control over it, even unto death!

Now in addressing the voice of the prophet:

The prophet is a spokesman inspired by God to speak out what he knows is God's desires or has received revelations of the future events to come. This gift is given for a certain time and event in history to tell of God's plans for the things to come. Just as John the Baptist was spoken about in prophecy and his calling was fore told of in the coming of the Messiah. The prophets of old told of the coming of the Messiah and the prophets of today tell of the coming of the Son.... who not only will rule and reign as a King, but will forever see to it that the Blessing and the Shadow of His Father's desires are carried out for the family within His heart.

John had no authority over the things of God, but one was coming that would rule and reign.

Anyone can read the words of God and speak the words of God, but no one can understand the biological relationship between the Father and the Son with out the revelation of whom we know as the Father's only Son Jesus Christ.

The use of the word "Son" is no metaphor - it describes a real (not poetic licence) relationship. Jesus was actually, physically sired by the Holy Spirit of God.

It is a biological relationship in some sense. It demonstrates more something like the relationship between a king and His first-born son, the Crown Prince and heir to the throne.

A king might send ambassadors (cf prophets) to other countries, and they can develop the relationship between the two nations to some extent. But, really, the best they can do is to prepare for the time when the kings of the two countries meet together. John the Baptist did this.

Sheba could have sent ambassadors to Solomon's court, but the real event was when Sheba went herself and Solomon could meet with her. When Jesus came, it was like Sheba at Solomon's court - romance in the air - looking for His bride. The Son has authority that an ambassador can never have. Even so, the ambassador can have authority, as when Abraham presented his servant with a very special trust (hand under thigh time) to go select a bride for Isaac. Nevertheless, the central issue was the son in that case too.

The King has all the authority (otherwise he wouldn't be king!) which will, one day, be passed on to his son and heir. The Son has already royal status! Therefore all his (the king's) efforts focus on his son. It would be normal to build his whole empire around his Son. Thle Son of God is therefore the focus for us

The term "Son" is used as a metaphor in that God , being spirit, uses human terms to describe His incarnation. As biological relationship Jesus was born into this world by the God the Fathers will directly, not man's will. He created for Himself a human body. The personal representation of the Son possesses all true authority of the Father. Not only representitive authority such as the prophets.

A metaphor is a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not applicable, in order to suggest a resemblance.

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see the author is using the word "Son" as a metaphor. He clearly refers to Jesus as a biological relationship. God used many approaches to send His messages to people in Old Testament times. He spoke to Isaiah in visions ( Isaiah 6 ) to Jacob in a dream ( Genesis 28:10-22 ) and to A braham and Moses personally ( Genesis 18; Exodus 31:18 ) Jewish people familar with these stories would not have found it hard to believe that God was still revealing His will, but it was astonishing for them to think that God had revealed himself by speaking through His Son, Jesus Christ. Jesus is the fulfillment and culmination of God's revelation through the centuries. When we know Him, we have all we need to be saved from our sin and to have a perfect relationship with God.

Not only is Jesus the exact representation of God, but He is God Himself --- The very God who spoke in Old Testament times, He is eternal, He worked with the Father in creating the world ( John 1:3 Colossians 1 :16 ) He is the full revelation of God. You can have no clearer view of God than by looking at Christ. Jesus Christ is the complete expression of God in a Human Body.

Because of this description this is why The Son would have more weight than a prophet!

I believe that the writer is referring to Jesus as 'The Son' of God which gives Him, (Jesus) the authority of 'The Father'. This relationship would be well understood by the men of the times. Even today in the middle east, I believe the firstborn son is the one with the father's authority. IE: in business. The prophets were as hirelings. The Son has authority to speak 'As the Father'.

Ephesians 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in Him:

Col 1:16 For by Him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by Him, and for Him

Like the scripture says, In the days of ancient, when God spoke, He spoke to our ancestors, through the prophets, but now speaks to us through the Son. (Christ Jesus) The reference in the KJV follows in the book of Numbers.

Numbers 12:6 And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I the LORD will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream.

We know through out the history of time, that God did indeed speak to His people and to others, through dreams, visions, through the mouths of prophets. Ever since Jesus died on the cross and rose again, God sends messages to us through the Spirit of The Lord, through the cross that Jesus bore our sins upon. The cross that brings together, sinners and the Anointed One. Jesus has built a bridge that brings us all back to our Holy Father, Yahweh, God Our Lord.

Even though in the days of old, prophets declared the Word of The Lord God, there are still today, here upon this earth, men and women both, chosen as prophets to speak to us. We can confirm this through scripture spoken by God , through Joel in the Old Testament and a repeated reference to the words spoken of Joel; in the New Testament.

Joel 2:28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:

Acts 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

God also told us, through a prophet by the name of Amos these words: Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but He revealeth His secret unto His servants the prophets. Amos 3:7

God has declared the end

I believe that the use of the word "Son" is not a metaphor but is used in a biological relationship. God the Father, Jesus Christ the Son. In Matt. 3:17 at Jesus baptism God spoke from heaven saying, "This is my beloved Son...." And In John 1:18 it say, "...the only begotten Son, which is in the bossom of the Father..."

The Son's words have more weight than a prophet's because a prophet speak what gives him to say, where in John 1:1 read, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

You started your study by saying that there are people of our time who have honored Jesus as the greatest teacher that had ever lived. Others saying that he was a great prophet. In Jesus time, wouldn't that claim have been short of blasphmy? Is there a record of anyone having Sonship with God before Jesus' claiming to be just that?

Wouldn't people even today rather call him a great prophet or great teacher that to call Him a Son. Yet to refer to Him as the first two and avoid or deny the Sonship would be equal to calling him a liar. How great would a liar be as a teacher or prophet? This has always confused me.

God's Word doesn't say "like a son" it says (Mark 1:10,11)As Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased."

How would a Son's words have more weight than a prophet's?

Who would know a father better that a son? My daugter(s) know me better than my neighbors and friends do. She could speak for me better than anyone second only to my husband.

This also shows me the authors belief in who Jesus said he was.

Great question. Thank you

momtogirls5

The word "Son" is not a metaphor but us is used in a relationship such as God the Father, Jesus Christ the Son. The Son in our passage is used in the sense of Jesus the Son corresponding exactly to the Father and serving as his personal spokesman.

Certainly the Son's words have more weight than a prophet's because a prophet speaks what God gives him to say. Jesus is God.

1God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

2Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds

I believe that He is telling the people He is speaking to and us that Jesus is the ONLY Son of God, He is heir so that means He is family with the Father.

I don't believe that it is a metaphor, that usually means it represents something else but in this case He is telling the people that Jesus is the heir and the only heir is by being family and that means He is the Son.

I can see biological relationship but only as I understand Son but this does not apply to Jesus because He always was He created the world by the word of His mouth. He is the alpha and omega the begining and end.

His word would carry more weight than a prophet because He is in the presence of the Father and He knows what the Father is telling the prophets before they are able to understand it.

The son-ship of Jesus is not a physical relationship nor is it a metaphor. It is a relationship that is unique through its divinity.

"The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of His being" is far beyond the physical relationship of a human father and son. Representing God's glory points to the purpose of the son in creating the world and all that is in it, redeeming us for His own, and sustaining a world that is fallen but will someday be glorified in Him. It would seem that the Son is the relational part of God. Without the Son, we could not look on God's glory, we could not have relationship with Him, and we could not be redeemed from our sin.

God made the son higher then Angels, so the Son would have more authority then Angels

I feel the author uses the word "Son" as being appointed "heir of all things" which speaks of Jesus' Incarnation and speaks of Him as Deity, which took place at the Cross. The prophets spoke from what they had learned, or were told. Jesus the son spoke from a position of "being the Son" - being a part of the Holy Trinity. Jesus' words left no questions unanswered, whereas the prophets spoke as they heard, which includes the question of their personal interpretation.

It is difficult to use human language to describe the relationship between Jesus and God the Father without using metaphor. To describe it as a "biological" relationship seems misleading, since biological relationships are between created beings. If the word is used to convey the idea that the very life of the Father is fully expressed in his Son, it may be helpful.

I think the author of Hebrews uses "Son" to convey the idea that Jesus shares the nature of God the Father, unlike any created being. Perhaps we can say that the relationship between a human father and son is a metaphor of the relationship between God the Father and God the Son, rather than vice versa?

As for the weight of the Son's words in comparison with those of the prophets, I think the difference lies not so much in what they said, but that Jesus shows us in his own life, and in his sacrificial love, what God is like.

I'd just like to add today that, in J.B. Philips' translation, 'The Letter to Jewish Christians' begins as follows:

God, who gave to our forefathers many different glimpses of the truth in the words of the prophets, has now, at the end of the present age, given us the truth in the Son.

In other words, Jesus didn't just tell us the truth, He is the truth.

[Edited May 1st 2007]

I see the author of Hebrews using the word "Son" quite literally to stress the reality of Jesus' true relationship to the Father as well as Jesus, the Son of Man that is, His humanity.

As the "biological" Son the Lord was raised up by the Father before time began and is the right hand of God. As a trusted and beloved son, He would have far more credibilty than a prophet as He is the reflection of God Himself.

In Chapter 1, I understand the writer of Hebrews to be outlining a description and comparison of Jesus with the Father to his own spirit, in order to tell us how powerful the Son truly is. He begins with the past, upholding prophets and angels; but about the Son he says 'therefore God, YOUR GOD, has set you above your companions..." stipulating they belong together. Again, at the end of the chapter and being that the writer asked: 'Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?', one could sense some doubt with this question. It appears that he cannot compare himself to the Son of God. Only as a ministering spirit.

How would a Son's words have more weight then a prophet? Exodus 33:18 reads: Then Moses said, "Now show me your glory." 19 And the LORD said, "I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 20 But," he said, "you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live." Since the author asks 'To which of the angels did God ever say, 'Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet?' and since sitting on the right hand of the Father is clearly weighty and glorious, the writer evidently reminds us that no other being was ever asked that question or rather, given that honor.

So, from lesson 1, If God's glory is sacrosanct and no man is to take it, I think the writer is using the word Son as a supreme being with God. Neither metaphor or biological. There is no comparison. And this explains why at chapter 2, he gives us a warning to pay attention.

I think that the use of the word "Son" isn't a metaphor. I believe that it describes a real relationship betweenJesus and God because Jesus was in reality physically sired by the Holy Spirit of God. I believe that it is a biological relationship in a lot of ways. I think that it demonstrates something like the relationship between a king and His first-born son, the Crown Prince and heir to the throne.

I believe that a king would send ambassadors (prophets) to other countries todevelop the relationship between the two countires, like we in America do when we send ambassadors to other countries but the final solution is left to the kings (or in our case president) All they can do is prepare for the time when the king, the ruler, the president, mets to find a way out of the problem (ie like john the Baptist did in the Bible).

The King (the ruler) has all the authority, otherwise he wouldn't be king, which He will, one day, pass on to His Son and heir. The Son has already royal status! It would be normal to build his whole empire around his Son. Thle Son of God is therefore the focus for us, the believer, who we must keep our eyes on at all times.