JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. The Phenomenon of Drift

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Hebrews 2:1) In what ways are we not immune to drifting away from the gospel? According to the author, how can we successfully resist the tendency to drift? How did Jesus describe this phenomenon of "drift" in the Parable of the Sower?

By holding on to the TRUTH! I am unable to describe this in words right now, but I am discovering the answer to this question in my life these days. I was "sober" before, I drifted, and I'm two days sober now and holding onto the TRUTH.

Q3. (Hebrews 2:1) In what ways are we not immune to drifting away from the gospel? According to the author, how can we successfully resist the tendency to drift? How did Jesus describe this phenomenon of "drift" in the Parable of the Sower?

In Mark 4, Jesus describes the seed that goes into stony ground as having no depth and no root. A person who receives the gospel and does not get rooted in the word and and with prayer does not have the depth to remain.

According to Heb 2:1, we drift when we don't pay attention to the words of Jesus. The Word should be so important to us, that whether we feel like it or not - we pay attention. We listen and we do the Word - as it says in James 1.

I also like to tie this thought in with Matthew 7:21-29. Jesus was speaking to temple - attending (church-goers) - when he answered their declarations of service with "I never knew you, depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness." This is scarey! SO - read on - the difference between building your house about the rock and the sand (being known by Jesus) - is hearing and doing. so - Pay attention! He says in 1 Corth 8:3 - that He KNOWS the ones who loves us and we see in John 14:15 that if we love Him - we obey Him.

Perhaps the Word get depth and deeper roots through obedience to His Word.

He is an awesome God - and the more we love Him the more we want to obey.

The author called his readers to pay attention to the truth they had heard so that they wouldn't drift away into false teaching. Paying careful attention is hard work. It involves focusing our minds, bodies, and senses, Listening to Christ means not merely hearing, but also obeying, ( James 1: 22-25 ). We must listen carefully and be ready to carry out His instructions.

( Mark 4:9 ) (The Parable of the Sower ) We hear with our ears, but there is a deeper kind of listening with the mind and heart that is necessary in order to gain spiritual understanding from Jesus words. Some people in the crowd were looking for evidence to use against Jesus: others truly wanted to learn and grow. Jesus' words were for the honest seekers.

Philippians 2:9-11 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted Him (Jesus), and given Him (Jesus) a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Q3. (Hebrews 2:1) In what ways are we not immune to drifting away from the gospel? If we have not hidden the word in our heart and commune with The Word and the Author every single day, I believe that we can drift away. If we do not know the word and understand what it says, we might hear a word from someone else who is contradictory in every way and may even oppose the word of God and translate it to us with out the Holy Spirit behind them. It may even be a spirit of darkness who uses someone to point us away from truth, if we do not already know the truth and what it reveals.

According to the author, how can we successfully resist the tendency to drift? If we do not pay attention, we could loose the harvest because it could wither and die. It

We are not immune to drifting away from the gospel when we are not living our life fully for Christ, when we are holding on to a cherished sin or unable to release an idol in our lives. So many times, we in this great country of ours, are drawn into the seduction of materialism or the pursuit of pleasure and the avoidance of pain. These things often lead us to drift away from our Lord and Savior. Loads of our time is spent at work, pursuing pleasures, searching for self satisfaction - instead of communing with God in prayer, serving others and seeking His will for our lives by spending time in His word. We can resist this tendency to drift by taking the full responsibility for what we have heard about our Lord and Savior, by fully occupying ourselves with what we've heard, paying attention to or taking heed of these things we've heard. Jesus described drifting in the parable of the sower whereby His word either falls on soil that is too hard (a hardened heart), or rocky, shallow soil where the seed cannot take root (spiritually immature, fleshly minded - pursuit of pleasures & avoidance of pain is most important), or good soil yet full of weeds which choked out the seed (a church goer who loves God but is pre-occupied with earthly things).

We may hear the Truth with our physical ears, and depending on our spiritual maturity, may not get the depth of meaning upon first or many hearings. All of us need to be grounded in the Word of God and its Truth, and if we do not study, or listen with our spiritual ears, or search out for ourselves what the Lord is saying to us each day, we can easily drift....into error, temptation, all kinds of little sins that can crop up like weeds and keep us from growing strong in our faith.

I really NEED the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, teachers, and friends who communicate with me about spiritual truths, for I seek to KNOW the revelations of Truth...and the counsel of others helps me sort out my thoughts and eliminate the errors , or confirm my faith and understanding of my own beliefs.

My tendency is to be too busy, and not take the time needed to concentrate and listen for His voice in my heart. A friend of mine who seems to have a mental grasp of spiritual peace within, has inspired me to seek His presence more often for REAL results that last longer than a few hours. Stability is one of the elements of my faith I want to cultivate more deeply.

We are not immune because we are sinners. We as people tend to let the works of the world interfere with our life in God. The business of everyday life, work, school, families ,we tend to get caught up in tthese things.We can resist the temptation to drift by spending time in Gods word Everyday. Early. It is said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I have found that when I rise early and make my breakfast Gods word then I am able to look at every aspect of my day through Gods word. I am a new christian and a smoker and everytime i light up I feel guilty I know God is working on me on its hard but I spend time in his word because I know I can not give this up on my own. When Jesus describes the parable he is describing our everyday life. We can not grow in Gods word and Keep it if we have no root system. The Gospel was introduced to me many times but never had any depth until I met my inlaws. The parable is telling us that in order to grow in Christ we need to saty in the word. Go to church, read your Bible and most importantly PRAY. Which I need to be better at.

We are not immune to drifting away. We are sinners; we have temptations that draw us away; it is work to keep in the Word & in prayer. I feel sometimes like a rowboat, tied up at the dock. The "busy-ness" storm comes by and pulls me away from the dock, but the lifeline is still there, preventing me from drifting even further away or destroying myself on the rocks. That lifeline is always there--I need to grab on, & not let go!

We need to pay attention, and put to work the things we have learned.

Without strong roots, we're swept away!!

We drift by not occupying ourself with what we have heard. We are to be responsible for what we have heard - anchor ourseves to the Gospel, of what we have heard and to not let our mind drift to nonproductive areas.

Every seed that is planted needs nourishment. Jesus likened the Word to a seed that is planted in rocky or shallow soil, where there is no nourishment, therefore in time it would not sprout and if it did it would soon dry up.

We must pay more careful attention, the author instructs us to take care and pay close attention to what we hear and learn so that we do not stray. By paying attention we continue to listen and learn more of what God would have us do in our life. We put what we have heard and learnded to work teaching others and becoming doers and not hearers only. We become that healthy soil that Jesus spoke of bringing up good fruit unto redemption.

Jesus described it twice in the ones who hear and recieve it with great joy but then the cares of the world causes them to forget and turn back to their former selves. The other was the soil that springs forth fruit but the like of careing for the plant, not continuing to hear and pay attention causes it to wither or dry up and be blown away by a strong wind.

As we live in this fast-paced, materialistic world, our human wants and desires can quickly surface as our primary goal, which puts us first and we slip away from God. To guard against this happening, we must love God enough to pay close attention to His word and abide by it. In the parable of the sower, Jesus explains that if we hunger for His word because we love Him, we will sow His word in our hearts and lives, and its goodness will be multiplied many times over (compared to the sower's seed falling on good ground). If we just hear His word and do not trust Him so that we live by it, the seed of His word in our lives will wither and eventually we along with it. (compared to the seed falling by the wayside, stony places, or among thorns). It is very serious to believe we can live by bending God's word to our comfort and liking.

We are not immune from drifting because we often revert back to our humaness - we do not stay rooted in the Word and in God. Drifting away usually does not occur all at once. It take time - slowly allowing things to pull us out of church - things that take our time that should be spent in regular study and worship to God and his Word. The Parable of the Sower shows this perfectly. Where are our roots? In our own works? Other people? Or in God? I think that some Christians drift when they start to think that "We;;, I have made it - this is about all I can do - I have grown as much as I can". This attitude would almost guarantee drifting.

We are not immune to drift when we have not anchored ourselves in Christ, who is the Rock of our Salvation (Psalm 95), on which we must build (Matthew 7:24). When we put ourselves first, we are swept away by all the cares, pleasures and fashions of the world. This is shown in the Parable of the Sower by the seed among the thorns, and also the seed on rocky places. The author (authors?) of Hebrews says that we must pay more careful attention to what we have heard. We have to make Jesus the Lord of our lives.

I'd like to add my thanks to Tabatha for reminding us of the letter to the Colossians on Q1. Colossians 2: 6,7 seems very relevant here:

Since you have accepted Christ Jesus as Lord, live in union with him. Keep your roots deep in him, build your lives on him, and become stronger in your faith, as you were taught. And be filled with thanksgiving.[GNB]

The author of Hebrews in 2:1 writes that "we must pay much closer attention." Given our tendency to be drawn in a thousand directions, given our tendency to have a lot of "stuff" on our plates at once, paying much closer attention is paramount, and extremely difficult, in today's world. I think that Hebrews 2:3a fits very well..."how will we escape if we neglect so great a salvation?"

I see the wisdom in so many on this topic reflecting on the seed in the rocky soil as being an illustration of drift, but I also see the see that fell among thorns as a kind of drift. The cares of this world and the long list of stuff on my to do list is a very subtle way that the evil one pulls me away. Drift can be and usually is very subtle and small, until we look up and realize that we are very far off course.

So to successfully resist the tendency to drift, I myself must stay in the word, around other believers and watch my tendency to overload with stuff that that may or may not have eternal bearing.

If we do not pay attention to the truth we heard from the Gospel it is easy for us to drift away into false teachings. Paying careful attention is hard work . It involves focusing our mind, body, and senses. Listening to Christ means not merely hearing but also obeying . We must listen carefully and be ready to carry out His instructions.

Our sinful nature constantly urges us to neglect Jesus in favour of "more important" things. We have to be on constant watch against this, as by nature we believe the old lie/seduction of satan - "Really?"

'We need to give more earnest heed' means we have to devise ways of staying close to Jesus - establishing the habits of daily prayer and study, attendance at a church, involvement with other Christians. Being aware of the danger we need to put things in place to prevent the drift tendency.

In the Parable of The Sower the seed falls on various soil types, only one of which is productive. It is so because the soil is soft, uncontaminated by other interests, and no birds come to remove the seed. In other words, about 25% of those who hear the word might receive it and incorporate it into their style, but 75% will neglect it and find themselves short of the mark. That is frightening. No-one wants to be found short (of oil) on the day of judgement. The consequences are unimaginably terrible! Therefore we need to pay close attention.

As I see it, most of us have head knowledge. The word goes into our heads, but not our hearts and is not incorporated into our character. As a result, the Holy Spirit cannot effect change in our lives and we revert to who we were before we heard the word.

Paying attention means grasping what is being heard or read. This we must do, giving reverence to the Holy Scriptures and, consider their value as the most precious of things of all the earth. Then will the seed be sown to good ground (in our hearts) and not by the wayside, stony ground or amongst thorns, never to take root (in our heads).

As I see it, most of us have head knowledge. The word goes into our heads, but not our hearts and is not incorporated into our character. As a result, the Holy Spirit cannot effect change in our lives and we revert to who we were before we heard the word.

Paying attention means grasping what is being heard or read. This we must do, giving reverence to the Holy Scriptures and, consider their value as the most precious of things of all the earth. Then will the seed be sown to good ground (in our hearts) and not by the wayside, stony ground or amongst thorns, never to take root (in our heads).

I was one of those persons who had a lot of head knowledge. It is now that I am beginning to have heart knowledge. I think God did a mighty thing for me. This poem by John Newton describes by experience:

I asked the Lord, that I might grow

In faith, and love, and every grace;

Might more of His salvation know,

And seek more earnestly His face.

Twas He who taught me thus to pray

And He, I trust, has answered prayer;

But it has been in such a way,

As almost drove me to despair.

I hoped that in some favoured hour,

At once He's anwere my request;

And by His love's constraining power,

Subdue my sins, and give me rest.

Instead of this, He made me feel

The hidden evils of my heart;

And let the angry pours of hell

Assult my soul in every part.

"Lord, why is this?" I trembling cried;

"Wilt Thou pursue Thy worm to death?"

"Tis in this way", the Lord replied,

"I answer prayer for grace and faith."

Q3. (Hebrews 2:1) In what ways are we not immune to drifting away from the gospel?

We must be aware at all times that if we do not take the Word to heart and respond daily by our actions we can easily drift away and let the things of the world control the way we live. We must remember James: Just hearing the word, without being doers of it (James 1:22) is a dangerous, deceptive position to be in.

According to the author, how can we successfully resist the tendency to drift?

We must take heed to the gospel

We are not immune from drifting away from the gospel..if we are not living it, continually learning it, growing by it, we will find ourselves drifting. Fellowship with God is no. 1. Hearing Him, living with Him, giving up self for Him. He will successfully lead us so that we don't drift. It will be through His power.

Jesus makes us alert to the types of soil that will cause drifting. So many times we can see ourselves as different soils in

our journey to a closer relationship with the Master.

We are definetly not immune from drifting away because we are sinners. When we take our focus off Christ we drift, like Peter when he stepped out of the boat and started to walk towards Jesus. While his eyes were fixed on Christ he was fine but when he took his eyes off and focused on the storm around him he grew afraid and started to flounder.

Parable of the soils is a great analogy for this, the stony ground hearers are not deeply rooted in Christ thus when a storm hit, (temptation, persecution) they are easily uprooted and blow away in the lusts of the world.

Let us be attentive, more earnest and be doers of the Word and not just hearers!

We are not immune to drifting since we have natural senses and we have brains! What we do with those senses gives birth to where we will drift, ie: what we touch, what we watch, what we speak, where we study, where we work, who or what we worship, the strength we have, the weaknesses we have, the bitterness we have, the unforgiveness we harbor, the love we protect, the hate we dock, the disobedience we follow, the dirty laundry we carry, the things we buy, the people we pass, the clock we turned off, the vacation we took...etc. Could it be We are not immune to drifting from the gospel because we are so surrounded in we!

From my spirit, resisting drifting or the author saying we must pay more careful attention to what we have heard, has to be referring to something that was already spoken. Perhaps it is the greatest commandment of all and the second one.

Jesus describes the seed sewer in a very visual and simple way, but also in a way that as long as the there is life on earth, His Word can be sewn. Pretty awesome!

We are not immune to drifting away from the gospel in the way that we do not take heed of it and we do not do what the the gospel wants us to do.

We can successfully resist the tendency to drift by paying attention to what we have heard about the gospel or the word of God. We do not just hear the word, but also do it.

Jesus described this phenomenon of "drift" in the Parable of the Sower in the following way. The phenomenon of