JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Miracles and Faith

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Hebrews 2:3b-4) In what way has the truth of salvation been confirmed to you? Would signs and wonders help or hinder establishing the truth of Christ's ministry today? From which portion of the Bible have you formed your opinion of the value of signs and wonders today?

Eyewitness to Jesus ministry had handed down His teachings to the readers of this book. These readers were second generation believers who had not seen Christ in the flesh. They are like us, we have not seen Jesus personally. We base our belief in Jesus on the eyewitness accounts recorded in the bible.

"God also testified to it" continues the thought from 2:3 Those who had heard Jesus speak and then had passed on His words also had the truth of their words confirmed by " signs, wonders and various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit". In the book of Acts, miracles and gifts of the Spirit authenticated the gospel wherever it was preached. ( Acts 9: 31-42; 14:1-20 )

In my own life the truth of Salvation brought me out of a life of bondage of drugs, alcohol, and many other things that was a lifestyle going to hell. A miracle took place and Jesus revealed Himself to me in a dream reaching out His Hands to me to pull me out of the flames of hell.

I believe signs and wonders would help establish the ministry of Christ today. I believe we are going to see many great things happen in these last days, Some will be glorious and some will not.

A Christian would have to have a strong gift of discernment today to tell the difference between the false and the real today. I have studied much in Acts and 1st and 2nd Corinthians I would still caution Christians if they would covet anything in the last days it would be the gift of discernment and wisdom to use it because there are many false teachers and prophets out there. I believe in signs and wonders for today. God never changes, what is in the bible will happen if we believe in the truth of what it says. We just need to trust and not doubt His word.

In what way has the truth of salvation been confirmed to you?

My thought process has changed. I think about God and how to please Him. I think about what makes Him happy and what makes Him sad. If I hear a news broadcast where many people or even one person has died, I think about how God feels about that loss of a soul.

I think about Him when I wake up and just before I go to sleep. I used to think about other things that used to be important to me and now they are not. They still play a role in my life somewhat, but eventually i believe that those gods will be torn down completely and thrown out with yesterdays news. It

Although I feel my Lord saved me as a small child through my faith and belief, as I grew up and realized my lacks and shallowness of understanding, the search for His Truth became primary in my life. The inspiration of the Holy Spirit within me, made me search also for ASSURANCE of my Salvation and beliefs and faith and doctrine....It happened one day because a pastor had asked me how did I KNOW I was saved...and I did not have an answer for him, for I knew I was still a sinner, and wondered, due to my lack of knowledge, if Jesus had given anything in scripture to assure me of being saved from hell.

Scriptures are my source of faith in my assured Salvation. I especially love the one about "no one can snatch me out of my Father's hand". The assurance and belief and faith I have begins and ends with the Word of God, and though I know I am not perfected yet, the Love of God constrains me to lean on His forgiveness, His grace, His love, His compassion and understanding and just Himself to finish the good work He has already begun in me. I am almost 80 years old, and realize we have not learned enough to truly appreciate the Goodness and Mercy and great Love of God our Father.

My thought process changed simply in , I question EVERYTHING I do now. Every word , thought, or even step I ask myself is this what God wants me to do. I believe it would help and hinder in the world today. It would help because the people of today need these miracles and by seeing them could turn them to a life of christ when so many belive so strongly in science. I also belive it would hinder because the world today is no more less harsh then when jesus walked the earth and History would repest itself, many would come to believe but many would have to do it in fear.But I would love to see the miracles, and whether we see it or not there are still to this day many miracles that happen all around us we just dont see them or sometimes choose not to.I have formed my opinion of the value of it from the book of revelation.

The truth of salvation has been confirmed to me by the working of the Holy Spirit in my life. It has also been confirmed to me by scripture.

Signs & wonders have their place & God, alone, knows those situations where the signs & wonders would work salvation in their hearts.

The gospels, relating the signs & wonders & miracles Jesus performed while on earth and their use in Acts in the young church are a few. I hear of signs & wonders occuring all over the world & certain persons who have been reached by them.

Q4. (Hebrews 2:3b-4) In what way has the truth of salvation been confirmed to you? Would signs and wonders help or hinder establishing the truth of Christ's ministry today? From which portion of the Bible have you formed your opinion of the value of signs and wonders today?

By the faith the I have gain in studying and hearing the Word spoken to me about Christ and all He did for me through His death and Ressurection.

I oncwe thought that signs and mircles would help my belief but as I have gotten older I have began to think that they might be a hinderance. And I always remember what Jesus told Thomas blessed is He who has not seen yet believes.

I use the New Testament but i think that our faith has to be inforced by reading the Old Testment too and understanding what the Lord was looking for the Isrealites to understand about a relationship with Him. He is the author of our faith with out Him and an understanding of Him our faith is usless.

By what way has the truth of salvation been confirmed to me?

It was confirmed to my by its founder Christ, its price death of the only begotton son, it's benefits thru the Holy Spirit - soul salvation, healing, deliverance, joy and peace, preservation, daily benefits - signs and wonders

Would signs and wonders help or hinder establishing the truth of Christ's ministry today?

A big YES it will help! Because He said, I have to go unto my father, greater works will we do when He is gone (signs, wonders, miracles) but the Father will send another Comforter Jn14:11-17 26, 16:12-15 - Power with demonstration must come - it is already happening - soon it will be more prevelent - Oh Glory to God!!! But we are to be very careful according to Matthew 24:24 and Mark 13:22 "For false messiahs and false prophets will rise up and perform signs and wonders so as to deceive, if possible, even God

The truth of salvation has been confirmed to me by first hearing the word and coming to anunderstanding of the problem of sin and that somebody had to pay the penalty so that as individuals we could be set free from the punishment that was due to us Jesus took on my sins and the sins of the whole world so that I did not have to pay the penalty.

I believe that signs and wonders would help to establish the truth of Christ's ministry today as His healing and delivering power changes those lives and other people see the changes brought about in other lives.

I have formed my opinion from the Acts of the Apostles where thereare many accounts of the life changing power from people affected by the signs and wonders that followed Christ's and his Disciples ministry.

TheTruth of Salvation has been confirmed to me by the vision of living by love I received on the first day, by the prayers I have had answered, by other people telling me things only God coulc have told them, by asking Father things and having immediate replies, by revelations within scripture, by my daily increasing love of His word and understanding of how it lives and is our connection with Heaven, by the pain of seeing God so fiercely mocked in the world, and by the inspiring lives of friends who love Jesus also, and most of all by Who He is!

Signs and wonders might help, although people get attached to them (what I can get out of religion) rather than to the truth, which is actually more important. It worries me that we can have a ministry of signs and wonders and still be in error in major parts of our lives - eg not having control of the tongue or sexuality. Obedience, not a ministry of signs and wonders, is the test of whether we will receive eternal life. I've seen pastors with major ministries outrageously defective in terms of obedience in these two areas and it worries me.

Reading these sections in Hebrews has confirmed for me that signs and wonders can eclipse some things that need attention - not that I don't want to see healings because they reflect God's great glory and we are supposed to walk in the works that God has prepared for us to walk in. When obedience is not there, the signs and wonders disappear eventually as the relationship with God disintegrates. "By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, that you love one another". This is what I like to see in praactice and it's actually rare in Western society. "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels and have not love, I'm a sounding brass or a clanging bell" - just a big noise really.

We need to love Jesus passionately, obey Him fanatically, and keep a severe check on ourselves in the light of scripture lest we fail to make the grade. It's those who complete the race victorious that get the crowns, no-one else!

The truth of salvation has been confirmed to me by the written word of God. Signs and wonders are not needed..we either accept the WORD or reject the WORD. Jn. ch. 1.

Signs and wonders had a place in time...now we have the words of God. I have formed a lot of my opinion because of

I Cor. 12.

Truth of salvation has been revealed to me through baptism and receiving the holy spirit. I think sings would help non beleivers and strengthen Christians faith no matter how strong our faith is. The new testement is where I have formed my opinion of the value of signs today.

"This salvation, which was first announced by the Lord, was confirmed 23 to us by those who heard him. God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will." (2:3b-4)

This verse of scripture is the truth of the way salvation came to me as a child and then as an adult. Jesus came to me as a small child in visions and dreams. He would talk with me at the altar at church and at times in my heart evening playing with other children in leading me through paths of right and wrong. He was very real to me as a child, but as I got older and the cares of this world began to appear and forces of the unknown at the times directed my steps, the relationship I had with Jesus fades in my life and in my heart and yet at times I would feel the pull or drawing of Him. As I continued down the path of life, His faithfulness and loving-kindness would come again one day, at the right time and place of my life, we once again joined hearts and hands and understanding of what the cross really was for me and for my eternal life too come. If the word had been rooted and grounded in me as a child and understanding of the truth of salvation had been there, then the drifting away may have not of happened the way it did. I knew Him and I knew His voice and I knew His touch, but I didn't know or understand His salvation plan for me. It is so important that the Church of Jesus Christ teach our children and youth this one thing about Jesus and that's His salvation plan and not that He was born on Christmas and die and rose again on Easter. What happens in between Christmas and Easter and why do we need to know this and where is He now and how do we keep our salvation and stay in relationship to Him and why righteousness is so important to us and how repentance is not something we just say but something we live.

(Deuteronomy 4:9)

Only take heed to yourself, and diligently keep yourself, lest you forget the things your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. And teach them to your children and your grandchildren,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would signs and wonders help or hinder establishing the truth of Christ's ministry today? From which portion of the Bible have you formed your opinion of the value of signs and wonders today?

Signs (sēmeion), "an event that is an indication or confirmation of intervention by transcendent powers, miracle, portent."24

Wonders (teras), "something that astounds because of transcendent association, prodigy portent, omen, wonder."25

Miracles (dunamis), "a deed that exhibits the ability to function powerfully, deed of power, miracle, wonder."26 Note that these are described as "various" or "diverse," not just one type of miracle but miracles of various kinds.

Gifts (literally distributions, merismos27) of the Holy Spirit. These miracles and works of power are recognized to be given by the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 12; Ephesians 4:11; etc.).

Everyone of these are as real today and never have they stopped they have been here from Gen. 1 and will be for eternity. The God we serve has always been and will always be a God of every one of these. Read these again and then start with Gen. 1 and go through the ages of time until now and look to future as what the written word reveals and forever will we see these things.

As a new Christian we begin to understand and recognized them, but as a season Christian we should know and understand that we are blessed to live with them in our lives everyday and to know that for always our God will work these for us everyday and for now on threw eternity. These things are part of who He is, these are parts of the Character of God.

To the world and new converts they are signs and wonders, to the Body of Christ they should be known as His love and His teaching His children in the way they should go so they will never depart, and that they will have the power in their lives to pass it on too their children and children's children. Everyday we have the power to create a new world for them and for others and everyday we have the knowledge and power to heal and create miracles.

You may ask, why all this about children? Because Jesus came as a child, He learned as a child, He taught while as a child. We see Him as a living example that a child can be taught the word of God all the days of their lives and can even themselfves become teachers of the word to others even to adults as He did and how if kept under the leadership of the parents and church they may never depart and live a life that will bring many to the truth of salvation.

(Matthew 19:14)

But Jesus said,

As to what I was, compared to who I am, is all that I need to know about the truth of salvation.

Signs and wonders are helping to establish the Lord's ministry today, for those who have eyes to see and ears to hear.

For me, the book of the Acts of the Apostles is the basis of my opinion about the value of signs and wonders in bringing people to the Lord. They, simple men, were able to let the Holy Spirit work through them and bring great multitudes to the Lord. These signs and wonders are very much in evidence in Africa, India, Korea, Latin America, even China and other parts of the world. Here at home in the USA we see them though at this time they are somewhat restrained. Revival is on the way, praise the LORD!

The truth of salvation is confirmed to me every time I encounter life's problems. When I react switfly on my own, nothing works out and I just become a bigger part of the problem. When I trust God to lead me through it, it is amazing how quickly he turns troubles into blessings, and yes, this is sometimes a slow process as well. I believe He saves us here on earth when we trust Him, so we can readily trust Him with our Heavenly future together with Him. I don't think signs and wonders would make much difference today with a lot of people. We have signs and wonders from God all around us -- the miracle of birth; the beauty of nature; and those who don't want to see it don't look or ponder on anything other than that which is self-serving. It could possibly hinder the Christian movement today, if miraculous events took place, as it seems to be human nature for some, when they witness a "miracle", it frightens them, and they distrust and rebel against it, as found in Acts 14th and 15th chapters. In my opinion, the Easter story of the Cross and Jesus' Resurrection is the most important sign and wonder God has given us.

Daily. His grace is renewed upon me every morning in that while I am yet a sinner, He gently guides me and corrects me. I have felt the miraculous awareness of my place in life and the place Christ is supposed to be. Still, as many places in the Bible show, miraculous signs and wonders do not make an unfaithful person more faithful. Looking ahead to Hebrews 3:16-19, the Hebrews in Egypt were shown great signs and wonders. They saw plagues, locusts and frogs; the Nile turned to blood, the striking down of so many of the Egyptians animals and first born sons. They even saw the water of the Red Sea parted and then reclosed on their pursuers. They saw manna from heaven and birds of the air for their food when they cried out to God in their unbelief. Yet, with all of this, so many of them did not believe, though they saw the signs and wonders. Please understand, I do not judge them, for on far too many occasions I have also acted unfaithfully towards He who has saved me.

The truth of salvation has been confirmed in my own life. My life has gone through a tranformation by the sign, wonders, miracles and gifts of God. I thank God for salvation. I know what He can do. I have seen it in my life. Thank You Lord!

I see signs, miracles, wonders, and gift to be helpful and also I can see it as a hinderance to others. Some of us are a "Thomas" and some are a "Judas." There are those that will not believe, regardless of what they experience or hear. We pray for them.

From reading and studying the Bible there is no particular part that I have read where I formed an opinion. I see the sign and wonders of God in the old and new testament. We just need to live our lives so others can see the wonder working power of God in us. Amen to that!

I believe in Jesus and His word because it is sure. I base my belief in Jesus on the eye witness accounts in the Bible. Jesus encouraged in John 20:29 , that it is better for those who believe without ever having seen Him.

In what way has the truth of salvation been confirmed to you? Would signs and wonders help or hinder establishing the truth of Christ's ministry today? From which portion of the Bible have you formed your opinion of the value of signs and wonders today?

The gospel of salvation has been conformed to me in many ways including wonders and miracles I see in the world every day but especially through the gift of the Holy Spirit as I study God

Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12 has been most meaningful to me, in combination with the accounts of the crucifixion and resurrection in the Gospels and elsewhere in the New Testament. Signs and wonders mean different things to different people - some remain sceptical even in the face of evidence which would be readily accepted by others. Many of us need first to regain a sense of wonder at the miracle of creation all around us. Romans 1: 20, 21 strikes a salutary note in this respect.

I believe we can also sometimes see Christ at work in the lives of others we meet, even those who are not Christians themselves. I am sure that God was active in my life, even before I acknowledged Him. When Jesus tells us that whatever we do "to the least of these ... " we do to him, this is not just a legal fiction. He is really present in all those we help or hurt.

The truth of salvation has been confirmed to me by the transforming of my life - my attitude, my vision, my goals.

Sign and wonders would have to go along with what God has done in me. That, quite honestly, is the only sign that I would believe. These days with technology, man can duplicate everything and anything.

In what way has my salvation been confirmed? My salvation has been confirmed because of the love of God who sent his Son to shed his blood to cover my sins. That is a sad but true story, predicted in the Old Testament, and told about in the New. Salvation is not confirmed by any miricle or wonderous sign, although there are some people who belive the devil needed a coat when they saw me in church.

Signs and wonders LOL. As in the days of Noah so it will be when Jesus comes again.

Here are some signs and wonders to look for:

1 When someone says, "I am sorry", and I say, "that's o.k. let me help you fix it."

2 You put your shopping cart back.

3 I am in no hurry!!

4 Thank you!!

5 Can I give you a hand with that?

6 I know things have been hard for you lately so I brought over some food.

7 Good morning neighbor, need a ride to church?

In 1951 my brother and I (7and 8 at that time) took a twelve hour bus ride, by ourselves, to Seattle Washington to visit my aunt. If parents sent their children on a bus ride by themselves today they would be in jail charged with child endangerment.

8 A child can go outside to play

Signs and wonders, what good does a sign do if the directions on the sign are ignored? The sign Jesus carried said, "Love one another not as the world loves but as I have loved you." He knew the directions on the sign would go largely ignored because His last words were, "Forgive them Father because they know not what they do."

Signs and wonders, I wonder if we will ever obey the sign.

Darrell

P.S. The last sign He gave us about salvation is the sign of Johna, so He said. The rest of the signs are about the endtimes.

The truth of my salvation is found in the scriptures, such as "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" (Rom. 10:13). "And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life" (I John 2:25). the promise given to me by God that nothing can snatch me out of the Father's hand, [but there is some occasions where I tried jumping out myself] but the changes in my own life have been totally for the better and that is the miracle and I give Him all the glory for it.

I think signs and wonders can be both hindrance and help. They are definetly still for today but unfortunately there are some ministries that have too much focus on these and forget WHOM is doing the signs and wonders.

Probaly from the Gospels, Acts and some of Pauls' letters is the main portion but when you look through the OT, eg 1Kings 18:20ff, there are many examples of God working His awesome power through people and in lives of different people.

By the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Changes in attitude. New mercies I see everyday. The love of Jesus and closeness of Him that gave His life so I could be forgiven for all the wrongs I've done before coming to Him with open arms.

It could be both, but I would hope it would help. People sometimes have to see things in order to believe them. It makes it more real if they see miracles first hand and they will tell others about what they saw.

You might say I have two. The gospels because of the miracles and God's power are both revealed in them and Revelations because this tells of things to come and the overthrow of Satan. Praise the Lord and our soon coming King!!!

Daily. His grace is renewed upon me every morning in that while I am yet a sinner, He gently guides me and corrects me. I have felt the miraculous awareness of my place in life and the place Christ is supposed to be. Still, as many places in the Bible show, miraculous signs and wonders do not make an unfaithful person more faithful. Looking ahead to Hebrews 3:16-19, the Hebrews in Egypt were shown great signs and wonders. They saw plagues, locusts and frogs; the Nile turned to blood, the striking down of so many of the Egyptians animals and first born sons. They even saw the water of the Red Sea parted and then reclosed on their pursuers. They saw manna from heaven and birds of the air for their food when they cried out to God in their unbelief. Yet, with all of this, so many of them did not believe, though they saw the signs and wonders. Please understand, I do not judge them, for on far too many occasions I have also acted unfaithfully towards He who has saved me.